Author Topic: So the rumour with Das Keyboard is true  (Read 93442 times)

Offline Hyde

• White Tofu Extraordinaire
So the rumour with Das Keyboard is true
« on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 19:27:55 »
UPDATE:

So a Das Keyboard representative stepped up and clarify that it's NOT iOne.  We still don't know which the new OEM is.

But based on member reviews, it appears that the quality has indeed went DOWN compare to their Costar counterpart.

====================  ORIGINAL POST  ====================

So I've heard rumour flying around that Das switched manufacture, so I e-mailed Das and got this reply:

Thanks for your interest in Das Keyboard. I can't disclose the names of our vendors, but I can say that the new media keyboards are made in China. The Ultimate and Professional for Mac keyboards are made in Taiwan.

If you have any other questions please let me know.

Kind regards,

Das Keyboard Support

Made in China eh, I wonder if they joined iOne :confused:

Oh I heard another rumour that Das Keyboard Professional S and Professional S Silent is discontinued.  So there will only be Media Edition from here on.  I guess the Mac Edition is still ok, otherwise this sounds like the end of Das Keyboard.  At least for the high end users like us anyway...  Sighhhhh I was hoping they'd jump on the backlit Costar bandwagon, I guess I'll to wait for Filco

P.S:  Good thing I have the original Costar made one ;D
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:57:47 by Hyde »

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
Re: So the rumour with Das Keyboard is true
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 19:52:04 »
No body believed me

Offline Hyde

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 20:07:31 »
LOL I saw your post on overclock.net that's why I e-mailed them to confirm.  I believed you but I just like to see hard evidence lolllllll :P

Sorry this is off topic but it's hard to catch you so I figure I'll ask you here.  Is there a release date and pricing on CM Storm Recon yet?  I made a post on the mice forum but it seems like you don't hang in the mice forum much :(

Archiss ProgresTouch Retro - Gateron Yellow  |  Topre Realforce 104UW - 45g Silent  |  Topre Type Heaven  |  Beige Filco Ninja 104 - MX Red  |  Das Keyboard - MX Brown  |  Poker II - MX Red  |  Race II - MX Brown  |  Matias Quiet Pro - Matias Dampened ALPS  |  Logitech K840 - Romer G  |  Cherry MX Board 2.0 - MX Red  |  Cherry G84-4100 - ML  |  IBM Model M
Roccat Kone Pure  |  Logitech G203  |  Logitech G303  |  Logitech G302  |  Razer Naga  |  CM Storm Xornet  |  Razer Goliathus Mobile Stealth  |  Razer Goliathus Control  |  Artisan Hien  |  Artisan Hayate  |  Artisan Shiden

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 20:15:40 »
it will launch this month: price point: $39.99

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 September 2012, 20:30:37 »
I'm guessing it's probably because mainland prices are significantly lower than even taiwan prices.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 00:08:30 »
Yeah I think it all comes down to production cost.  Because the general public won't know the difference between a Razer Blackwidow and a Filco.  But I think it will lose out big on sales for the high end users.

It's sad because back then I'd recommend Das right away because it's similar to Filco quality yet a lot cheaper (with student discount) also look very stylish.  But now I'd not recommend because it could have potential quality control issue.  That and the media edition has 4 keys on bottom left corner and a shorter space bar, in general I don't like unconventional layout.  I guess only time will tell.

@Carter

it will launch this month: price point: $39.99

omg I'm so buying one thanks Carter ! :eek:
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 September 2012, 00:23:48 by Hyde »

Offline elef

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 05:34:22 »
Most Apple products are made in mainland China, aren't they? I don't think I've heard of too many quality control problems...

Offline Carter

• CM Storm Rep
  • * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 08:36:51 »
Most Apple products are made in mainland China, aren't they? I don't think I've heard of too many quality control problems...

Foxconn vs most mainland china factories is a whole different ball game. Attention to detail only comes from Taiwan. But you in turn pay for it in pure cost.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 09:03:16 »
Hi guys,

Candid question - Does changing vendor must mean changing product? Or can it be the same product/specs but just built elsewhere?

I'm looking forward to have one of our GH experts to inspect and compare a new Made in China DAS with the previous version.

I too was recommending DAS... I'll wait to see couples of credible reviews before doing so again.
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 10:20:13 »
Hi guys,

Candid question - Does changing vendor must mean changing product? Or can it be the same product/specs but just built elsewhere?

I'm looking forward to have one of our GH experts to inspect and compare a new Made in China DAS with the previous version.

I too was recommending DAS... I'll wait to see couples of credible reviews before doing so again.

No, changing oem doesn-t mean changing product

HOWEVER, if the OEM has a bad reputation for sub-par quality and assembly, well then it doesn-t matter what you-re having them make.

IF it turns out that DAS is going with iONE, basically NONE of us here at geekhack will ever buy another one of their keyboards.

We, will also cultivate an unwarrented hatred of all things DAS, and yearn for the good ol- days when things were right with all out Costar

And some of us, not me, but some of us will spread rumors like how Das sacrifice cute baby animals to make their keyboards and the like...

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 11:12:05 »
They should have went back with Cherry. Das II was nicer looking. Oh well you can still get it from Cherry as G80-3000LPCXY-2. So I guess that is 4 oem for them now, Keytronic, Cherry, Costar, ?.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 11:20:36 »
IF it turns out that DAS is going with iONE, basically NONE of us here at geekhack will ever buy another one of their keyboards.

We, will also cultivate an unwarrented hatred of all things DAS, and yearn for the good ol- days when things were right with all out Costar

I do consider myself as "one of us".

The secret of iOne low cost is food deprivation of their under age laborers
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 13:00:45 »

I do consider myself as "one of us".

The secret of iOne low cost is food deprivation of their under age laborers

Goodness, Gracious, Gasp... :o ... My God!

Offline Hyde

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 13:37:15 »

lol omg what have I done, haha not trying to start a Das bashing thread or something because personally I do own a Das Keyboard (Costar One), was just hoping to educate the masses on their next keyboard purchase.  However I do agree with this statement, if it turns out to be iOne I think no one on this forum would recommend Das anymore (Including Me) :(

This reminds me anyone know what happens when manufacture switches OEM?  Do they just ship over the mold / cast / equipment ... etc to the new factory?  Or do they just use the equipments at the new factory?  Switching OEM sounds like a really costy operation.

I'm curious about this also hopefully someone will do it soon :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 September 2012, 13:42:59 by Hyde »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 15:35:03 »

lol omg what have I done, haha not trying to start a Das bashing thread or something because personally I do own a Das Keyboard (Costar One), was just hoping to educate the masses on their next keyboard purchase.  However I do agree with this statement, if it turns out to be iOne I think no one on this forum would recommend Das anymore (Including Me) :(

This reminds me anyone know what happens when manufacture switches OEM?  Do they just ship over the mold / cast / equipment ... etc to the new factory?  Or do they just use the equipments at the new factory?  Switching OEM sounds like a really costy operation.

I'm curious about this also hopefully someone will do it soon :)

They will probably use whatever iOne has in house, with minor variation to visual styling.

Notice how every one of iOne keyboard has those 2 1x keys on the bottom row.

Offline Daniel Beardsmore

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 15:58:42 »
They should have went back with Cherry. Das II was nicer looking. Oh well you can still get it from Cherry as G80-3000LPCXY-2.

I always considered the Cherry G80-3000 range to be ungainly. That's the main reason I went with FILCO, although I then discovered that I had no choice as Cherry won't put browns into a keyboard anyway.

The Das looks lovely, but anyhing shiny surely just smears – like that glossy HP laptop I saw that was completely covered all over in grease and fingerprints. Really disgusting.
Bore Awards
Most Boring Person on the Planet – 2011 Winner

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 17:28:13 »
They should have went back with Cherry. Das II was nicer looking. Oh well you can still get it from Cherry as G80-3000LPCXY-2.

I always considered the Cherry G80-3000 range to be ungainly. That's the main reason I went with FILCO, although I then discovered that I had no choice as Cherry won't put browns into a keyboard anyway.

The Das looks lovely, but anyhing shiny surely just smears – like that glossy HP laptop I saw that was completely covered all over in grease and fingerprints. Really disgusting.

Depends on your keyboard habit.

My keyboard is stationary, and I never touch the bezel, I don't avoid it, I just don't do it.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 08 September 2012, 19:06:59 »
On my work (but not home) FILCOs, I find that the case has worn shiny around the up arrow key. I have no idea what I'm doing to cause that. The level of dust on my home keyboard suggests that I don't touch anything but the keys ;-)

(Both keys have coating wear on just the 'S' key – never figured that out either.)
Bore Awards

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 03:02:27 »
On my work (but not home) FILCOs, I find that the case has worn shiny around the up arrow key. I have no idea what I'm doing to cause that. The level of dust on my home keyboard suggests that I don't touch anything but the keys ;-)

(Both keys have coating wear on just the 'S' key – never figured that out either.)

I've seem some people rest their fingers there. Some people also have a form of impulse control disorder, similar to trichotillomania, but instead of hair pulling they rub things back and forth with their fingers.

Head up your local college and pretend to be a student and get a free diagnosis.

• RIP
    • Boring twaddle
« Reply #19 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 06:42:48 »
Diagnosis? If anyone tried diagnosing me their head would asplode.
Bore Awards

Offline anselben

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 11:54:21 »
So from this does that mean their build quality is no longer as good? Because I just noticed my F1 key switch on my Das is becoming sticky for some reason.. I would hate to get a replacement that was a p.o.s.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 17:13:36 »
Yeah well it's not confirmed that the new vendor is iOne yet, but if it is.  It will means Das will become more hit or miss.  Like it either works or break down in 2 weeks.  So if you're F1 is having issue I'd go get it exchanged for a non-media edition.  Because only the media edition is made by a different company.  Anything that says Model S Professional is made by Costar.

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber
« Reply #22 on: Sun, 09 September 2012, 17:15:06 »
Diagnosis? If anyone tried diagnosing me their head would asplode.
i bet you're not as 'special' as you think ;)
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline Hyde

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 22:53:25 »

If you look at the window and function keys, they're 1x1 size.  That screams iOne for me >______>

Offline nullstring

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 10 September 2012, 23:42:58 »
alleged $40 price point is interesting though.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #25 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 11:23:05 »
Just noticed that the Das Professional Standard and Professional are sold out on newegg. On the Das website, they only have the new ones listed on their main page. Looks like they are phasing it out. Judging by the layout, I think it must be an Ione board as well.
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline Hyde

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 12:54:47 »
Yeah the non-media edition models start to go on sale now.  At least at Canada Computers it's -$20 and NCIX has -$15.

If you want to get any quality Das Keyboard now is the last chance lol.  After the Costar ones sold out then Das is no more :P

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 14:44:19 »
I was thinking about returning my Das as I'm within the 30 day window and just paying the extra to get another Filco but I might keep it now. I actually kind of like the glossy finish. :)
Ducky Shine II w/ Green LEDs | Das Professional | Italian Red Filco Ninja Tenkeyless | Unicomp Wildcats Buckling Spring | My Heatware :)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #28 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 19:14:26 »
I was thinking about returning my Das as I'm within the 30 day window and just paying the extra to get another Filco but I might keep it now. I actually kind of like the glossy finish. :)

;D that's what they all say until it scratches....

Offline m00nshake

Re: Re: So the rumour with Das Keyboard is true
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 19 September 2012, 19:18:45 »

Grrr... I just noticed a scratch on mine.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #30 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 00:14:42 »

I kind of like my Das' gloss finish too.  Also the hidden LED light is a nice touch.  I think overall Das feels more "modern" while Filco feels more "classic".  Though I do like Filco's thinner boarder better.  It's sorta a different feel I think I like both :P

As for the scratches I think I've learn to accept it now, plus overall it's not too noticeable and most of the time it can look good as new after some quick wiping lol.

Offline i488

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 02:58:32 »
leopolds are made in china. iphones are made in china. but ione sux

Offline stingrae

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 05:05:35 »
leopolds are made in china. iphones are made in china. but ione sux

Are you sure about leopolds I thought they were made in Korea(http://www.keyboardlover.com/popularkeyboards.php) or Japan? (given: https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/215431_10101273694956923_2106634783_n.jpg)
« Last Edit: Thu, 20 September 2012, 05:07:07 by stingrae »
Filco Ninja Tenkeyless  -Noppoo Choc MiniCm Storm Quickfire Rapid

Offline perragnar

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 08:00:08 »
My Leopold says 'Made in Taiwan'.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #35 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 08:13:17 »

I kind of like my Das' gloss finish too.  Also the hidden LED light is a nice touch.  I think overall Das feels more "modern" while Filco feels more "classic".  Though I do like Filco's thinner boarder better.  It's sorta a different feel I think I like both :P

As for the scratches I think I've learn to accept it now, plus overall it's not too noticeable and most of the time it can look good as new after some quick wiping lol.

You're just rationalizing the imperfections of your keyboard... This is akin to "Stockholm syndrome lite-edition"

Offline Hyde

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 12:01:47 »
My Leopold says 'Made in Taiwan'.

taiwan is a good but small part of China.

Uhhhh Taiwan is not part of China, otherwise it would say made in China and not made in Taiwan.  They also have different government system while China is communist, Taiwan is democratic.

But anyway ignore all the politics just keyboard productions quality wise Taiwan > China.

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #37 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 19:33:00 »
Either way, the Das (I guess version 2 is the one before the media keys), is still a nice keyboard, IMHO, and at least it's different than the other ones out there. I got this one at $90, I think I'll keep it, scratches or not. Not to mention my only options for a full deck Costar-made keyboard right now with blue cherry mx are limited to Filco (not available on Amazon right now), Rosewill (no thanks, I don't want to take the gamble on a faulty USB connection), and WASD (nice board, but still more expensive than what I paid for the Das).

Offline Hyde

« Reply #38 on: Thu, 20 September 2012, 20:50:08 »
Yeah it's pretty much why I bought my Das, it's the cheapest full size Costar board out there.  Also one of the better looking ones too (in my opinion).  I was close to buying CM Storm QuickFire Rapid but in the end I think I use my number pad too much to give that up :P

Oh as for Das:

Das I = Rubberdome
Das II = Cherry Board
Das III = Costar Board (Professional S)
Das IV = iOne Board (Media Edition, probably iOne but not confirmed yet)

Offline m00nshake

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 21 September 2012, 04:57:42 »
Ok thanks for the clarification on the versions. I like tenkeyless as well but my full decks take precedence because I too have become used to the number pad after years of data entry. If the new Das with media keys has a smaller space bar and 1x keys on the bottom row around the space bar, it's probably an Ione board.

Offline exousia7

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 02:42:23 »
So right now the only Das made by Costar are the Ultimate and Mac editions? Or have they been changed to iOne also.......

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #41 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 09:41:52 »
So right now the only Das made by Costar are the Ultimate and Mac editions? Or have they been changed to iOne also.......

I suppose not YET, but sooner or later it will happen.
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline pitashen

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 10:33:53 »
Das and geekhackers don't mix together well anyway. ppl would be more OMG!!! if Filco turns to cheapo OEMs.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 11:42:14 »
Das was overhyped. That is why I got mine. After using cmstorm I find Das to not feel as nice.

My das had some sticky switches, and just yesterday the H key went out so I lubed it up! And yes the scratches make it that less elegant.

Costar das.
SmallFry! <3

Offline Hyde

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 13:06:54 »
I find I actually like my Das a lot, I mean yeah the scratches is a bit annoying but overall it still look quite nice.

That and it's the cheapest Costar full size keyboard you can get, which was why I got it originally.  (Rosewill didn't count because their mini B connector sucks)

I guess the easiest way to check is if you flip over the keyboard:

Made In Taiwan = Costar
Made In China = iOne

Or like people said, look for the bottom modifiers, if you see 1x1 then it's probably iOne.

Offline wetto

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 31 October 2012, 13:16:08 »
I find I actually like my Das a lot, I mean yeah the scratches is a bit annoying but overall it still look quite nice.

That and it's the cheapest Costar full size keyboard you can get, which was why I got it originally.  (Rosewill didn't count because their mini B connector sucks)

I guess the easiest way to check is if you flip over the keyboard:

Made In Taiwan = Costar
Made In China = iOne

Or like people said, look for the bottom modifiers, if you see 1x1 then it's probably iOne.

Don't forget, while the exterior isn't one of the best, the interior quality is top-grade. I mean, I saw comparison between FILCO vs Das on inside components and man, I got quite surprised.

Then again, even on Quickfire Rapids maaaaany people always end up changing keycaps... Why not do that on a Das if you don't like them?
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

« Reply #46 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 15:17:08 »
Hey guys, there appear to be some rumors that we are working with iONE on our keyboards, and this has created some confusion among our customers. Please note that iONE is not currently one of our manufacturing partners.

Quality is at the forefront of everything we do at Das Keyboard. Our goal is to create the best keyboard and the only way to do that is to put quality first. In 2012, we made a significant investment in additional factories to meet expanding demand and have carefully chosen additional manufacturers who reflect the same level of quality we have always stood for. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to send us a message over at Das Keyboard and we’d be happy to address them.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #47 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 16:39:17 »
Welcome to geekhack !!!

So we forced a Das Keyboard employee to sign up to geekhack LOLLLLL !!!!!

I'm sorry about that but I guess like I said we're not trying to bash Das or anything.  Personally me and my g/f both own one and we both love it.  I guess at geekhack we're just picky about... well everything and we want to know the truth.

But thanks for showing up and clarify things, it shows that you guys really care about your customers  :)

On a side note I wonder if this is the secret factory that makes CM Storm TK that Carter won't tell us about.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 16:55:56 »
Please note that iONE is not currently one of our manufacturing partners.
The part in bold is really the only thing worrying me.
Also, I understand that there might be contract fluff preventing you from saying who does make them, but the fact that iOne doesn't make them doesn't mean the secret company is any better. Or it could be way better.
Just pointing it out, I can't really comment on Das in general as I've never owned one.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: So the rumour with Das Keyboard is true *NEW UPDATE*
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 17:13:01 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

Thank you for joining to clarify that.  It is great when vendors interact with the enthusiast community like that.

Hopefully you will stay around for a while :)
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 17:18:43 »
I'm not a brand guy myself.  I'll buy from whichever manufacturer gets the job done reliably.  I review for a website and would happily tear-down a new das for science provided I didn't have to buy one of the new models.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 17:20:59 »
So Das are moving from Costar (apparently the best big OEM at the moment) to some unknown manufacturer in mainland China, and we're supposed to believe that quality will stay untouched. I won't believe until someone can actually prove it. If the OEM isn't iOne, it's not so bad, but again: until someone can confirm quality stays untouched, I will stay away from Das Keyboard. Oh wait... I stay away from Das Keyboard anyway because of hype/marketing BS.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 18:45:12 »
Oh wait... I stay away from Das Keyboard anyway because of hype/marketing BS.

I wonder if Filco is consider low key because we don't understand Japanese LOL.

Offline Vintage

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 18:58:10 »
Oh wait... I stay away from Das Keyboard anyway because of hype/marketing BS.

I wonder if Filco is consider low key because we don't understand Japanese LOL.
Well, that, and the fact that the keyboards themselves are very "no frills" by design.
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 21:26:49 »
I love how everyone's freaking out about "oh it's no more Costar who is good but at least it's not iOne who is bad."
Believe me, iOne is far from the worst OEM in China. And there are a lot who overpromise to customers and cheerfully underdeliver because they can get away with it. (Nevermind that Costar actually isn't even close to good.)
Besides, take it with a grain of salt - I've seen their marketing deny that Costar is the OEM and then admit it in the same day.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline Harlequin

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 27 November 2012, 21:41:25 »
i was never a fan of Das. Really dislike the shiny body that gets finger prints easily.

DK Saver Winkeyless | Leopold FC700R | Ducky DK9087 Shine 2

Offline Hyde

« Reply #56 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 00:25:24 »
i was never a fan of Das. Really dislike the shiny body that gets finger prints easily.

It used to not bother me until I tried a Filco, then I realize yeah Filco is a lot easier to maintain LOL.  Especially since I have the beige Filco which is actually harder to see dust compare to the black Filco.

Offline chewyfruitloop

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 28 November 2012, 14:28:04 »
well my UK layout model S just arrived....says made in Taiwan on the bottom of it
big improvement from the playdoh HP came with a job lot of PC's thing I have at work
seems nicer on my fingers than the mac chicklet board thats currently attached to my home machine to

...what do i know though...not used a proper mechanical board since the SGI boards on the machines at uni 13 years ago
das blue, mac chicklet, old mac clear hair catcher

Offline Hyde

« Reply #58 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 00:10:02 »
lol if it says made in Taiwan then you're safe.

Though I guess since we don't know what's the new vendor yet, has anyone rip open a new Das yet in the name of keyboard science?  I wonder if they used the same vendor as CM Storm TK or Logitech G710+ since there is no solid proof on which vendor they are yet.

Mmmmmm really curious which mystery place this is lol.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 03:43:32 »
Do they already sell the Das with multimedia keys. That one was supposed to be made by someone else. However, I haven't seen it at their website.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 11:17:55 »
It's already in their regular lineup.  If you buy any normal Das Keybard with labels it will have the media key come with it.  I don't think they fixed the pictures yet but if you go to store and buy them then you'll see it's different.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 12:35:31 »
Well, reviews at Amazon appear to be quite negative. The keyboard is supposedly lighter, has sticky spacebar and stabilized keys in general... There're also mentioned redesigned keys on the first row.

New Das Keyboard seems inferior to the older generation, after all.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #62 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 12:57:42 »
I should be having a review sample coming in the next month.  Expect internals and a comparison to the last costar gen model.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline Hyde

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 13:47:23 »
I should be having a review sample coming in the next month.  Expect internals and a comparison to the last costar gen model.

Sweet then we'll actually have proof instead of speculation  :D

Offline Playtrumpet

« Reply #64 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 15:22:14 »
Will the time come when we have to start putting "Das Keyboard - Pre-iOne" in our signatures?
Dvorak

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #65 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 16:51:04 »
From This Amazon Review:
Now for my biggest problem with it is that the lettering of the keys darkens/discolors way too easily. I wonder if anyone at Das Keyboard actually tested playing FPS games with this keyboard

Uh, yeah. Do you know which ODM's been having that specific issue across their entire line? Here's a hint. Begins with "C" and ends in "ostar." Or begins with "iOne" and ends in misery. So my skepticism toward claims it's "not Costar" and "not iOne" would appear to be justified. I have a suspicion when Binge takes his apart, he's going to find Costar, but we'll see. I do especially love how they used a pre-production render of a Mk2 instead of an actual photograph of the keyboard though. That's always a positive sign, right?

As for the rest? Remember, the ODM builds to the OEM's requirements. Costar is an ODM (Original DESIGN Manufacturer) and Das is an OEM (Original "Equipment" Manufacturer.) The only way the quality declines this much is if the OEM, in this case Das, either specifies lower QC/QA threshold or the ODM is taking the OEM for a ride.
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #66 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 18:37:38 »
As for the rest? Remember, the ODM builds to the OEM's requirements. Costar is an ODM (Original DESIGN Manufacturer) and Das is an OEM (Original "Equipment" Manufacturer.) The only way the quality declines this much is if the OEM, in this case Das, either specifies lower QC/QA threshold or the ODM is taking the OEM for a ride.
Well, that would mean their PR department is lying. Much better. Not surprising though, from their website:
German-engineered mechanical key switches: Das Keyboard compares to the legendary IBM Model M. Its best-in-class mechanical gold-plated key switches provide a tactile click that makes typing a pure joy.
Unless they use less-mainstream definition of "compares".

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #67 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 20:56:58 »
Well, that would mean their PR department is lying. Much better. Not surprising though, from their website:
German-engineered mechanical key switches: Das Keyboard compares to the legendary IBM Model M. Its best-in-class mechanical gold-plated key switches provide a tactile click that makes typing a pure joy.
Unless they use less-mainstream definition of "compares".

I don't know that I'd go that far yet; mostly I've seen a lot of "have no clue what's correct or accurate" resulting in a lot of conflicting answers. It certainly would NOT be the first PR/marketing department doing that by any stretch of the imagination, and it's especially rife with design houses because their product involvement is usually limited to aesthetics. Though frankly this looks like they're moving the same way Razer and OCZ did - get people hooked with an initial release that's solid, ramp the marketing hype to 11 so anyone pointing out flaws will get shouted down, then slash quality knowing there's an army of people who'd buy a literal dog turd from them just because of the name.

But hmm.. maybe they're basing that comparison on the fact that both are in a keyboard and both have springs.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #68 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 21:05:20 »
I wonder if Das Keyboard uses the same manufactures as CM Storm TK and Logitech G710+ if it's not Costar and not iOne.

Refer to this post that I made as to why:  http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=37861.0

Though I really hope not, because based on the user reviews I've read on amazon, the new Das definitely don't compare up to the old Das  :(
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 November 2012, 21:59:13 by Hyde »

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #69 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 23:24:59 »
Uh, yeah. Do you know which ODM's been having that specific issue across their entire line? Here's a hint. Begins with "C" and ends in "ostar." Or begins with "iOne" and ends in misery. So my skepticism toward claims it's "not Costar" and "not iOne" would appear to be justified. I have a suspicion when Binge takes his apart, he's going to find Costar, but we'll see. I do especially love how they used a pre-production render of a Mk2 instead of an actual photograph of the keyboard though. That's always a positive sign, right?

Every single white on black board that is not clear coated has this issue. They range from Cherry lasered POMs to lasered Filcos, to whatever iOne conjures up. I think this is the squeaky wheel QC. OEM just use whatever looks acceptable when new, then deal with the problems as it comes. Most people just admit defeat. The people inquiring about it will just get a no. They just have to grease the squeaky wheel when they make a racket. It is the cheapest way.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #70 on: Thu, 29 November 2012, 23:42:11 »
Yupe sorta why I got a beige ninja (side printed) board and also purchasing dye sub PBT keycaps  :P

Though this is probably over compensating LOLLLL

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 30 November 2012, 03:55:17 »
The symptoms are rather specific, and line up 100% with problems reported on well, honestly, damn near every CST-104 variant on the market right now. It's not just "dirt build up" - it's actual wearing of the material, which is so poorly made, it almost immediately turns gray. As I've mentioned elsewhere, I've talked to OEMs who are furious with Costar because of it. The problem is much, much worse than the reviews would indicate, it's a known defect, and Costar knows its been going on for a long time now.
And I mean really, do you honestly think people here would not be up in arms if Filco keycaps looked completely trashed in a matter of weeks? Or any white on blacks? Frankly, I've dealt with plenty - never seen it before. Slight discoloration, sure, but I have damn fine color vision so I notice the slightest shift. Certainly not gray though - and definitely not in a matter of weeks with light to moderate use.

And doesn't mean it's Costar. Doesn't mean it's iOne. Could be they switched plastics suppliers and they're getting screwed. Could be they cut corners to meet demand. Could be someone else entirely. I'm genuinely curious to see the problematic keycaps as well as what Binge finds when he takes his apart.

I've got a Costar OEM'd set showing the full range of the excessive wear badness around here somewhere. If we can get some shots of the problematic Das, would be good to compare.
« Last Edit: Fri, 30 November 2012, 03:57:42 by rootwyrm »

Offline cooklaw2

« Reply #72 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 10:59:46 »

Sweet then we'll actually have proof instead of speculation  :D
Looking forward to the comparison.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #73 on: Thu, 06 December 2012, 12:48:52 »
I think this is probably why Filco keyboards are pad printed.  So they can avoid the whole "greying" issue.

Offline chewyfruitloop

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 07:13:13 »
well my replacement das came back, this one from kustompc's December 6th batch
its still a Taiwan model, so it seems like theres still a reasonable stock in the supply chain

has to be said that when i tweeted that i had a duff number 4, das did contact me and offer to help resolve the issue which was pretty nice....doubt you'd get many more manufactures doing that when you buy from a third party

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #75 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 08:46:36 »
I think this is probably why Filco keyboards are pad printed.  So they can avoid the whole "greying" issue.
They're lasered now. Lasering getting discolored is less of a problem if they use coating on the caps. Since the coat will soak into the porous parts of the legend, preventing hand gunk soaking into the legend.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 13:27:46 »
KBtalking Pro uses coated, laser etched, caps.  They are by far my favorite OEM caps.

UPDATE on the review:  Received the Das board, taking tear-down pictures tomorrow evening.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 13:45:52 »
KBtalking Pro uses coated, laser etched, caps.  They are by far my favorite OEM caps.

UPDATE on the review:  Received the Das board, taking tear-down pictures tomorrow evening.

Ohhhhhhhh can't wait to see it  :D

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 11 December 2012, 14:52:17 »
Not necessarily. There were a batch of lower cost ones with just uncoated laser foamed keys. The regular visible legend ones are UV coated laser foamed caps. Then of course, there are those laser engraved caps like yours.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #79 on: Wed, 12 December 2012, 22:08:25 »
Alright kids this is about all I can reveal before the entire review of the keyboard.  Anyone know where I can get a replacement Das case??

New Das
9794-0

Old Das
9796-1
« Last Edit: Wed, 12 December 2012, 22:11:08 by Binge »

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #80 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 13:13:59 »
  Anyone know where I can get a replacement Das case??

uh oh, spaghetti o's :/

A moment of silence for Binge's sacrifices for the community...

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 13:37:55 »
Wow, sloppy as hell on the soldering on the new Das.. the part number doesn't match to anything I'm familiar with. Part number indicates it's an off the shelf part though - one from 2010, likely 2nd revision. Can you get us some photos of the controller, Binge?
That particular soldering style though... almost nobody out there who still practices pin-bend. Narrows it down tremendously.

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 16:40:43 »
Is that RoHS compliant? The solder looks too shiny to be lead-free solder.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #83 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 16:48:36 »
last one.  The rest have to be saved for the review.

9818-0

Is that RoHS compliant? The solder looks too shiny to be lead-free solder.

There is most definitely a RoHS sticker on the board.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 December 2012, 16:51:56 by Binge »

Offline chewyfruitloop

« Reply #84 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 16:52:35 »
The only thing I can find that could point to the manufacturer is http://www.tradezz.com/buy_2651537_beautiful-garden-speaker.htm that having the HY-D4 on it.
Either there are lots of Huayuan companies in china or they are just very cagey about what they make....so far I've seen them called specialist electrical tape, RFID and office equipment manufacturers

they other possibility is that HY-D is identifying it as made in Huayuan and the 4 is the plant number

...still probably grasping at straws

...the controller board seems to have been printed quite a while ago too...wonder if they've been using them for a while and shipping parts made by them to taiwan to be assembled....
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 December 2012, 17:04:45 by chewyfruitloop »

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #85 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 17:30:58 »
Actually, we can get some partial ID from that photo. Thanks Binge! (And I totally hear you on keeping photos in reserve.)

That NEC part there is the USB hub and microcontroller likely. And it's a damn OLD part - or a forgery. Because the NEC Electronics division was rolled into Renesas. NEC Electronics no longer produces microcontrollers of any flavor. I can't make out the markings on it, but it's definitely not a SuperH. Too low a pincount - 48 pin + USB in Renesas livery would definitely fit RX200 family. Which should be in Renesas livery somewhat like this meh quality photo. But as I said, it could also be an old part - especially given the indicated age of 2010 - that they're still working through stock on.

EDIT: Oh hells, look at the new PCB... look at all the ripples and ridges on the material. Holy crap. That looks straight out of the 1970's.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 December 2012, 17:34:38 by rootwyrm »

Offline Hyde

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 19:42:30 »
lol I'm not too pro on the whole PCB stuff.

Though today I went by my local Canada Computers and they had the new Das on shelf for my to play with.  Out of the ~5 minutes that I was playing with.  I didn't notice anything physically wrong with it except that some key are stiffer than others.  It happens in quite a few region and it's pretty noticeable.  Another obvious difference I guess it's that the function, window, and option keys are 1x1.

It's not really bad but it's like you can tell something's off about it I can't explain.

lol can't wait for your full side by side review  :)

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #87 on: Thu, 13 December 2012, 23:06:44 »
So taking a closer look at that PCB we can determine two facts:
1) It is a much lower quality PCB overall than the Costar manufactured PCBs. The material quality is visibly lower as indicated by the significant ripples in the material and marring evident at the lower edge. This is, no surprise, common on low quality Chinese manufactured PCBs.
2) The overall component quality is significantly lower than the CST-104 re-case based on numerous independent reviews so far, and the other indications - specifically the visibly low-quality PCB, which is obviously just like the CST-104, a re-case based on the production date of 2010.

So what keyboard do we know that has 1x1 Windows keys, uses Cherry MX switches, and comes from China with a well established reputation as a low quality part? And also is advertised as being available for private labeling and contract manufacturing the same as the CST-104? (Oh, and would warrant using engineering mockups from a 2nd Generation Costar rather than actual product photos.)

Well, here's my number one contender: the one that Das Keyboard insists it isn't. It's not like all Windows keys being 1x1 is even remotely common. I mean seriously - do you know how few there are? Here's one and another and I guess kinda this one. And wouldn't you know it, they're all iOne.
EDIT: Mind, that's my opinion as to who's making it. Not stating it as fact, just what seems apparent. Not sure if these Newegg photos are accurate but that layout is really distinct and uncommon.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 December 2012, 23:16:24 by rootwyrm »

Offline wetto

« Reply #88 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 00:00:48 »
Can someone get the photos of the stabilizers? This could help a lot, I think..
My collection:
More

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #89 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 00:30:31 »
Can someone get the photos of the stabilizers? This could help a lot, I think..

If that's a photo of the spacebar area, there's no stabilizer. But no idea. Presumably Binge will have photos of the stabilizers in his review, so we'll have to be a bit patient there.
Though... ohai Chinese board with that exact 1x1 + 1x1 layout I haven't found anywhere else at all yet. Specifications only barely match, but given the controller's cabled, that's rather easy to fix...

Offline chewyfruitloop

« Reply #90 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 07:06:28 »
The interesting thing about the controller is not that it has an NEC chip on it, they could have been mass produced and stored, they're probably a generic part.
The thing that caught my eye was the printed date of January 11th 2011.
PCB's are very application specific, having such an old one seems to indicate that either, das are buying in job lots used by a load of other people too or the manufacturer has been used by das for quite a while.

as for the ripples on the board....its a bit perplexing...it could be that the lacquer they put on it was blown dry not baked, as its not visible in the traces on the PCB, it seems to be more of a finishing issue
I'm not saying that its ok though, if its not been finished well, you do have to wonder what else was done to the same standard

...I do like all this scooby gang stuff though :D

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #91 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 07:34:02 »
EDIT: Mind, that's my opinion as to who's making it. Not stating it as fact, just what seems apparent. Not sure if these Newegg photos are accurate but that layout is really distinct and uncommon.
I think it is a Solidyear. Using Taiwanese romanization rule, their name could be written as HY.

Offline linuxid10t

« Reply #92 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 07:54:05 »
I think it is a Solidyear. Using Taiwanese romanization rule, their name could be written as HY.

Just looked at some of their other keyboards and I think you are right.  Anyway, definitely NOT iOne :D

Offline wetto

« Reply #93 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 09:16:59 »
LOL, this SolidYear keyboard looks a damn lot like the Thermaltake Meka:

My collection:
More

Offline linuxid10t

« Reply #94 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 10:37:24 »

Show Image

That is one ugly ass keyboard...

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #95 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 10:44:55 »
I know a few folks have been knocking the soldering, but TBH the shine and convex curves to a number of these solder joints mean that the one worker who soldered this board spent enough time to make sure the solder flowed well.  An impressive list of components shows denotes only quality components, but to have enough time spent to make a proper solder joint is an indicator of decent assembly.   It would be discouraging to have a talented assembly staff while skimping on materials.  Details about the PCB are odd like the frayed edges and ripples, but the traces are large which means there's more visible copper on these boards than the original.  Taking off the switches and plate is not outside of the realm of possibility, but then I would have undone most of the work I would want to inspect.

This is a tough egg, but so far their keyboard is fine.  My original Das keyboard space-bar squeeked and this one has none of that mess.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #96 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 11:04:06 »
I wasn't really paying attention at the PCB pix showing the switches when I looked at them before. PCB mount switches on a plate mount. That's interesting.

Offline chewyfruitloop

« Reply #97 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 11:10:43 »
I wonder if the solder is done by hand or robot
I do agree that it doesn't look teribad though

I can confirm that my new das has no squeaky keys either...the left shift went manky really fast though...and i can't seem to scrub it clean lol

Offline Human

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 12:08:42 »
I wasn't really paying attention at the PCB pix showing the switches when I looked at them before. PCB mount switches on a plate mount. That's interesting.
Actually, if you ever notice. Corsair K60/90 is also PCB mounted keyboard. They are using the PCB mount switches with 5pins/legs. But they are both mounted at the aluminum case at the same time.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #99 on: Fri, 14 December 2012, 14:41:15 »

Just looked at some of their other keyboards and I think you are right.  Anyway, definitely NOT iOne :D

As I mentioned, it's possible it's old NEC stock, yes.. but that would also rule out RX200. So it's extremely confusing to me. Renesas' website sucks though, so it may be a lower end QFP48 part. Any RX200 is guaranteed to be Renesas badged though, as the part was introduced after the split was completed. I'll do some digging around and see what the other possible parts are.
I also would agree the solder work is not bad. I wouldn't call it 'good' much less 'excellent,' but it's definitely not bad. It will hold up just fine, but that pin bend bothers me, and there's some solder slag on the PCB - which should never happen. All the quality soldering in the world won't help with a shoddy PCB though. The ripples I saw there I've only seen on low quality PCBs with poor bonding between layers. That's a serious problem for obvious reasons.

I disagree that Solidyear is more likely - the part numbers do not match their scheme. All Solidyear PNs are 3+4 Letter+Number scheme. e.g. it should be 'HYx-6004' not 'HY-6004.' Doesn't fit the numbering scheme either. They also do not have a stock PCB that maps even remotely near it. I would rate them very unlikely. So I wouldn't rule out iOne entirely yet. Again, iOne can modify existing designs to meet customer requirements. So that means that it could be a modified Scorpius. But again; I don't see any evidence saying explicitly that it's iOne. Just a collection of circumstantial that it's an iOne design.

Also, remember that Thermaltake Meka covers multiple keyboards. The G1 is literally a badged CST-104 "Sydney" reference. IIRC there's 5 different ODMs.

The cabled controller isn't entirely red herring, either. The CST104 can be cabled instead of push-mount, but that would be a new PN. But it's also uncommon as hell these days - so who do we know that uses cabled controllers? I can't say I know anyone these days.

EDIT:
Digging into things a bit, it hit me that being 48TQFP, it could be a part I'm very familiar with - the NEC uPD72010 USB 2.0 Controller. Every uPD72nnn is NEC badged or no mfg badge, even current. This is acurrent uPD72010 photo and here's the datasheet (Warning: PDF). However, that would mean it's not the microcontroller itself - the D72nnn's strictly a hub.
The other possibility might be that it's a M66291GP which is a complete microcontroller. No photo for this one, but it's actually a blended NEC/Renesas/Hitachi part which is currently made and has a datasheet here. (Warning: PDF)
« Last Edit: Fri, 14 December 2012, 14:56:53 by rootwyrm »

Offline Hyde

« Reply #100 on: Sat, 15 December 2012, 16:43:54 »
This is a tough egg, but so far their keyboard is fine.  My original Das keyboard space-bar squeeked and this one has none of that mess.

So would you say quality is comparable to the original Das?  Also are you in the process of making a full review?

Offline macguy80

« Reply #101 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 13:40:10 »
So would you say quality is comparable to the original Das?  Also are you in the process of making a full review?

Count me as interested, too. I need a Cherry Brown in my collection, and had been strongly considering the Das Silent, until I saw this thread. I'd just like to know if the new model with media keys is as good as its predecessor. :)

Thanks!
« Last Edit: Sat, 22 December 2012, 17:59:05 by macguy80 »

Offline Hyde

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 20:25:01 »

Count me as interested, too. I need a Cherry Brown in my collection, and had been strongly considering the Das Silent, until I saw this thread. I'd just like to know if the new model with media keys is as good as its predecessor. :)

Thanks!

For the time being I'd just get a Das Keyboard Ultimate Silent.  It is still Costar at the moment.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 21:20:17 »
I would in a heartbeat if I considered myself that great a typist. If I get one, I want to be able to type on it.  ;D For now, I still need printed keycaps. I'll either wait for the consensus. to come in, or get another brand. If I could spare the $$$, I'd get a Filco, though I can't really tell which of their models HAVE browns in them. I think my next choice will either be a CoolerMaster or a Leopold. I just need a standard 104-key layout, whichever one I get. I was hoping it'd be a Das though.

For the time being I'd just get a Das Keyboard Ultimate Silent.  It is still Costar at the moment.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #104 on: Sat, 22 December 2012, 23:07:19 »
I would in a heartbeat if I considered myself that great a typist. If I get one, I want to be able to type on it.  ;D For now, I still need printed keycaps. I'll either wait for the consensus. to come in, or get another brand. If I could spare the $$$, I'd get a Filco, though I can't really tell which of their models HAVE browns in them. I think my next choice will either be a CoolerMaster or a Leopold. I just need a standard 104-key layout, whichever one I get. I was hoping it'd be a Das though.

I'd say if you can afford it, definitely get a Filco.

Click Action = MX Blue
Tactile Action = MX Brown
Soft Linear Action = MX Red
Linear Action = MX Black

As for CM Storm, Quick Fire Rapid is your best bet but it's not 104 key.  But if you were to get Quick Fire Pro (which is 104 key) I'd actually suggest you get Rosewill instead.

I don't recommend Leopold because their 104 key model is too ugly and their spacebar stem doesn't fit any other spacebars.  So it's pain in the butt if you want to replace keycap set one day.

So I say go Filco or Rosewill or Das Ultimate.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 02:05:31 »

Click Action = MX Blue
Linear Action = MX Black

As for CM Storm, Quick Fire Rapid is your best bet but it's not 104 key.  But if you were to get Quick Fire Pro (which is 104 key) I'd actually suggest you get Rosewill instead.

I don't recommend Leopold because their 104 key model is too ugly and their spacebar stem doesn't fit any other spacebars.  So it's pain in the butt if you want to replace keycap set one day.

Thanks for deciphering the Filco code! I'll definitely keep your advice in mind when it comes time to buy a Cherry board. I'm going to get the QuietPro first though :)

Offline HarryPalms

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 23 December 2012, 11:35:03 »

Click Action = MX Blue
Linear Action = MX Black

Filco is best.

Offline linuxid10t

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 10:10:53 »
Well, got a new Das Keyboard this morning for Christmas and I can say it is pretty solidly built.  I think this manufacturer change is WAYYYYYYY overhyped.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 13:47:52 »
Well, got a new Das Keyboard this morning for Christmas and I can say it is pretty solidly built.  I think this manufacturer change is WAYYYYYYY overhyped.

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback :) Please keep us posted as you get to know it! :) Merry Christmas!

Offline linuxid10t

« Reply #109 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 16:37:21 »

Thanks! I appreciate the feedback :) Please keep us posted as you get to know it! :) Merry Christmas!

Thanks.  Anyway, the worst I could say about the build quality is that it has a LITTLE bit of flex, but it is also a hell of a long thin keyboard.  That being said, the keycaps feel great and feel of better quality than those of my QFR by a smidge.  Everything is also centered very well.  On long keys (shift) they are less wobbly than the QFR.  Lastly the workmanship on the plastic body is good.  There are no ugly seams (looks at Unicomp intently.)  Personally, I don't give half a **** what the PCB LOOKS like as long as it functions the way it should and won't fail.  Anyway, I am very happy with my present and would recommend this keyboard for anyone in the market looking for a more understated keyboard.

PS:  This thing is CRAZY shiny, you can see your face in it.  Pictures do it no justice.

Offline Vintage

« Reply #110 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 17:05:43 »

Show Image

Ughhh that layout makes me cry :eek:

That's one of the dumbest compact layouts i've see ISO enter key there is.
CM QFR w/ MX Reds  | Logitech G900

Offline wetto

« Reply #111 on: Tue, 25 December 2012, 19:04:41 »

Show Image

Ughhh that layout makes me cry :eek:

That's one of the dumbest compact layouts i've see ISO enter key there is.

Jeez guys, you all do know that ISO Enter Key is diffent from that, aye? Also, the worst thing afterall isn't the damn Enter key, but how small the Backspace key actually is! Also, try to find the / and ? key.
My collection:
More

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 15:41:41 »
Backspace actually isn't much of an issue (ummm, well... I use Colemak), but the "slash" key placement is horrible. The rest of the layout isn't that bad — it's not as good as on QF TK though.

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 16:43:38 »
Who uses forward slash?
SmallFry! <3

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #114 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 16:44:25 »
If you ever work with printer servers... you've used forward slash.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 16:46:56 »
Who uses forward slash?
Real men. You know... those, who use UNIX. ^_~

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #116 on: Wed, 26 December 2012, 16:50:58 »
haha, okay.
SmallFry! <3

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 04:08:31 »
Pretty much anybody on the internet uses a forward slash. So... ya know... like, everybody.

Offline chewyfruitloop

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 08:55:25 »
Who uses forward slash?

....yeh and for that matter who uses its shifted value ?  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 27 December 2012, 21:41:41 »
Everyone in this thread uses /.

And ? for that matter.

Maybe/maybe not?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 28 December 2012, 22:10:05 »
http://blah.blah.blah/~fred/
Totally unimportant key.
/opt/p4r/siberia/9/2/1/r
Completely useless.
net time /DOMAIN:contoso.com
Nobody would ever bother using that key. Not ever.

Offline rek55

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 13:25:39 »
I just got a das pro for work, made in china. It feels incredibly cheap compared to my das ultimate at home (made in taiwan). I don't know if the keycaps are thinner or what, but I must say I am quite disappointed with it.

So disappointed. :(
Enough so that I've written a product review on amazon. This keyboard is just not worth the price. The Ultimate was.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 January 2013, 13:30:22 by rek55 »

My future Das Ultimate S, all modded up. For now, it's a bit more black.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #122 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 13:51:59 »
I just got a das pro for work, made in china. It feels incredibly cheap compared to my das ultimate at home (made in taiwan). I don't know if the keycaps are thinner or what, but I must say I am quite disappointed with it.

So disappointed. :(
Enough so that I've written a product review on amazon. This keyboard is just not worth the price. The Ultimate was.

I have to call bullsh!t on this... I have a 2008 pro and a new pro.  I'm doing a comparative review.  They have identical crappy OEM keycaps.
Take the caps off and compare them.  They are the same sh!t ABS plastic with the same thickness and the same OEM profile.

Offline rek55

« Reply #123 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 14:19:26 »
Maybe I just got a dud. I feel like with this one the keys are more rattly or i can press them down further before the actuation point. I don't have the two next to each other, but this definitely does not feel the same. It feels a lot more mushy. Like the switches have been broken in already or something. It could just be placebo. I'll have to bring my Ultimate to work and do a side-by-side comparison.

Also to note, I'm comparing a new Pro to a new Ultimate. Are you comparing a well used 2008 pro to a new pro? Is there any difference between the pro keys and the ultimate keys other than the lettering?

Also I'm using the ones with the cherry browns. Are you comparing blues or browns?

Are the keys profiles different as well? Or the shape of the case? The up arrow key is practically flush with the case. I don't remember it feeling this way with the Ultimate (but again, i'll need to check when I get home).
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 January 2013, 14:23:37 by rek55 »

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 14:30:16 »
I have a cherry brown 2008 pro (costar) and a cherry blue pro 2012 (noname OEM).  The only difference is the sourced controller, feet, and the PCB.  Plastics are the same... keycaps are the same... switches feel like the switches they are.  PCB looks noticeably lower quality, more like the PCB you'd find in a television, and the feet are rounded.

Offline rek55

« Reply #125 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 16:13:36 »
One of the things I'm responding to is that if I tap lightly on either side of the backspace or enter keys, it rattles. I don't believe my Ultimate does that, but again, I'll have to bring this keyboard home tonight and test them side-by-side.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 16:17:48 »
One of the things I'm responding to is that if I tap lightly on either side of the backspace or enter keys, it rattles. I don't believe my Ultimate does that, but again, I'll have to bring this keyboard home tonight and test them side-by-side.

Take a look at the stabilizers to make sure they're installed correctly.

Offline rek55

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 16:25:52 »

Ah, good call. I took a look and the stabilizer clips are not actually stably affixed to the plate / keyboard. So I guess that's where the rattling is coming from. Any idea how to fix that?

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #128 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 17:46:00 »
they should just press in.  If they don't then they are broken and you need new ones.  WASD sells replacements and plenty of people will sell/send you some from round the forums.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #129 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 19:02:03 »

Ah, good call. I took a look and the stabilizer clips are not actually stably affixed to the plate / keyboard. So I guess that's where the rattling is coming from. Any idea how to fix that?

Demand RMA, since there's no excuse whatsoever for a $130+ keyboard having improperly installed or broken stabilizers. That kind of thing should never make it past QC ever.

Offline ValerieV

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 19:12:03 »
I am an idiot was does RMA stand for? Thanks.  :confused:

Offline alaricljs

• I be WOT'ing all day...
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #131 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 19:42:57 »
Return Materials Authorization.  Acquiring one from the vendor or manufacturer is typically the first step in getting a faulty piece of equipment replaced under warranty.
Filco w/ Imsto thick PBT
Ducky 1087XM PCB+Plate, w/ Matias "Quiet Click" spring-swapped w/ XM Greens

Offline rek55

« Reply #132 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 19:53:34 »
Yeah I just don't want to be stuck with my rubber dome keyboard in the meantime...

Offline rek55

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 20:28:28 »
Got home and tested them side by side. I think me feeling like the switches under the letters felt more mushy was placebo caused by all the other issues. The stabilizer clips (the part that the stabilizer bar hinges in to, not the part on the key cap) is lose on basically every key (most noticeably on the backspace). The scroll lock key has a chip in it. The case is bubbled up directly in front of the forward arrow key (I tried switching the key caps to ensure the profile was in fact the same which made me realize the case was flawed) which makes it feel very shallow. Plus, I hate the layout of the modifiers. I keep missing when I try to hit the Alt key.

So all in all, with my sample size of 1, I'd say the build quality is much worse. I'm going to have to return this.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #134 on: Fri, 04 January 2013, 20:46:52 »
lol so we're at 1:1 right now.  Need a third sampler to settle this  :P

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #135 on: Sat, 05 January 2013, 02:31:23 »
Got home and tested them side by side. I think me feeling like the switches under the letters felt more mushy was placebo caused by all the other issues. The stabilizer clips (the part that the stabilizer bar hinges in to, not the part on the key cap) is lose on basically every key (most noticeably on the backspace). The scroll lock key has a chip in it. The case is bubbled up directly in front of the forward arrow key (I tried switching the key caps to ensure the profile was in fact the same which made me realize the case was flawed) which makes it feel very shallow. Plus, I hate the layout of the modifiers. I keep missing when I try to hit the Alt key.

So all in all, with my sample size of 1, I'd say the build quality is much worse. I'm going to have to return this.

That's a good idea.  sounds like this one was used and abused before you got it.

Offline chewyfruitloop

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 09:45:05 »
i have to say that the keys go off colour very quickly though
my left control and shift keys are now grey not white

i've been fairly hammering this thing at work, can't say i've notice any rattling with it

Offline rek55

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 06 January 2013, 12:40:50 »
i have to say that the keys go off colour very quickly though
my left control and shift keys are now grey not white

i've been fairly hammering this thing at work, can't say i've notice any rattling with it
I must have got a lemon then. Not going to try my luck again with it though since I don't actually like the shifted spacebar/alt keys in the layout. Really throws off my ability to hit shortcut keys while coding. I'm sure I could get used to it, but keeping the layout of my home and work keyboards the same seems worthwhile.

Offline corm

« Reply #138 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 12:52:38 »
I recently got the media key version (made in china) and was able to compare it to a friends costar (made in taiwan). Both were Profession Model S with brown switches.

There is definitely significant difference between the 2 keyboards. The quality of the new version is unsatisfactory.

I'll refer to the newer media key version as "china" and previous model "costar"

The differences noticed while comparing the two were:
-china model has a resonating sound when keys are pressed. Very noticeable and annoying.
-costar larger keys (such as shift, bs, enter) are more fluid/smooth than china version.
-in general the costar keyboard just felt better to type on.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #139 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 13:05:28 »
I recently got the media key version (made in china) and was able to compare it to a friends costar (made in taiwan). Both were Profession Model S with brown switches.

There is definitely significant difference between the 2 keyboards. The quality of the new version is unsatisfactory.

I'll refer to the newer media key version as "china" and previous model "costar"

-china model has a resonating sound when keys are pressed. Very noticeable and annoying.
-costar larger keys (such as shift, bs, enter) are more fluid/smooth than china version.

For me, anyway, that settles it. Das is off my list. What a shame.

If I am one day in the market for a used Das, is it safe to say that I would get a Costar board as long as I get one that lacks a Fn key? Or were there earlier revs that were also subpar? (that might be harder to distinguish from a 2008 Costar board?)

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 13:08:55 »
Resonating denotes a reverberation in the plate, and "stiff keys" can occur with any keyboard.

Definitely looks like these MIC keyboards have terrible quality control.  I wonder if they sent me a nice one.  I took mine apart before typing on it, so I may have put it back together better than the factory worker.  Taking these issues people are having into account with my review which will go live next week.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #141 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 13:20:25 »
Resonating denotes a reverberation in the plate, and "stiff keys" can occur with any keyboard.

Definitely looks like these MIC keyboards have terrible quality control.  I wonder if they sent me a nice one.  I took mine apart before typing on it, so I may have put it back together better than the factory worker.  Taking these issues people are having into account with my review which will go live next week.

Fair points. I am physically disabled, and lack the dexterity to take apart and reassemble a keyboard (let alone be sure it is reassembled equal to or better than factory)

Whichever board I choose is going to have to be at its very best as soon as it leaves the factory. ;)

WASD is looking better and better.

Offline rek55

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 13:28:08 »

If I am one day in the market for a used Das, is it safe to say that I would get a Costar board as long as I get one that lacks a Fn key? Or were there earlier revs that were also subpar? (that might be harder to distinguish from a 2008 Costar board?)
From what I've heard, that is true. The ones with the media keys are the first ones that sucked. :P
In fact, the Das Ultimate are still being built by Costar, and I am very happy with mine, so you could even get a new one if you don't need letters ony our keys (or if you intend to buy some new colored keycaps).
I'll be receiving my second one tomorrow so I'll let you know if the quality is up to par with my first, but I expect it will be.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #143 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 13:36:19 »

Fair points. I am physically disabled, and lack the dexterity to take apart and reassemble a keyboard (let alone be sure it is reassembled equal to or better than factory)

Whichever board I choose is going to have to be at its very best as soon as it leaves the factory. ;)

WASD is looking better and better.

I didn't mean to seem argumentative, and WASD is a very wise choice.  Das had their time in the sun.  My review is reflecting on their company negatively overall.

With your needs I would go with WASD or Coolermaster!  Both are reasonable prices and have exceptional build quality.

Offline macguy80

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 15:57:44 »

I didn't mean to seem argumentative, and WASD is a very wise choice.  Das had their time in the sun.  My review is reflecting on their company negatively overall.

With your needs I would go with WASD or Coolermaster!  Both are reasonable prices and have exceptional build quality.

I didn't take your reply as argumentative in the slightest. I just didn't think of the points that you raised :)

Offline Hyde

« Reply #145 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 16:08:50 »

Totally agree with you, which is why I had a Das too.  They had their moment when it was the cheapest full size Costar board.  But with the whole new batch it just doesn't feel like it has the edge anymore.

WASD will be a bit expensive consider that you'll be forced to pay shipping, where cooler master can get picked up locally easily.

BUT at the same time I haven't heard anyone complain about their WASD keyboard at all.  So you'll be safe either way :)

Oh and thanks for the review guys, I have updated the original post for future members that are reading this.
« Last Edit: Mon, 07 January 2013, 16:15:26 by Hyde »

Offline rek55

« Reply #146 on: Mon, 07 January 2013, 19:16:34 »
From what I've heard, that is true. The ones with the media keys are the first ones that sucked. :P
In fact, the Das Ultimate are still being built by Costar, and I am very happy with mine, so you could even get a new one if you don't need letters ony our keys (or if you intend to buy some new colored keycaps).
I'll be receiving my second one tomorrow so I'll let you know if the quality is up to par with my first, but I expect it will be.
I just got my second das ultimate and I am pleased. Feels just as solid as my first. I need to install some o-rings into the backspace, enter, and spacebar... but other than that... all good. This one doesn't even seem to be squeaking!

Offline wetto

« Reply #147 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 19:26:52 »
I just got my second das ultimate and I am pleased. Feels just as solid as my first. I need to install some o-rings into the backspace, enter, and spacebar... but other than that... all good. This one doesn't even seem to be squeaking!

The Das Ultimate seems to still be Costar made, so no changes there.

Only the Professional Model with Media Keys comes from a different OEM.
My collection:
More

Offline rek55

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 08 January 2013, 20:27:33 »
The Das Ultimate seems to still be Costar made, so no changes there.

Only the Professional Model with Media Keys comes from a different OEM.
Yup, exactly. I was just pointing out that it was just as awesome as my first to provide contrast with my experiences with the other OEM's keyboard and their (lack of) build quality.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #149 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 11:12:00 »
Review is up.  It basically praises what Das -was- able to accomplish in the past while criticizing the direction they took with their multimedia keyboard version.

http://www.rwlabs.com/article.php?cat=&id=766&pagenumber=1

...In the past year a rising demand for mechanical keyboards has brought a fair bit of enticing competition to the United States, so as of this very fresh 2013 I feel Das could stand to take time focusing their efforts in providing their customers a solution which is as well-built as it is feature rich.

Gutshots and pictures a-plenty.

Offline Lu_e

« Reply #150 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 12:45:46 »
Nice review, but no mention of the changed layout as well? The box even shows the more standardized 1.25x mod keys xD

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #151 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 14:40:20 »
Nice review, but no mention of the changed layout as well? The box even shows the more standardized 1.25x mod keys xD

*facepalm*  of all of the things... thanks for the kind words, and especially for that observation.  In the future I won't miss something that ridiculously obvious >.<  Shows just how much I pay attention to the modifiers.

Offline Hyde

« Reply #152 on: Mon, 14 January 2013, 21:14:03 »

*facepalm*  of all of the things... thanks for the kind words, and especially for that observation.  In the future I won't miss something that ridiculously obvious >.<  Shows just how much I pay attention to the modifiers.

lol it's ok it's still a very nice detailed review though.  Lots and lots of pictures  :D  Though I wish you took pictures of the new stabilizers they used lol  :(

Offline InAComaDial999

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 06:06:50 »
Kind of an old thread, I realize, but I happened to take some pics of the space bar stabilizers on my brand new Model S Professional with the media keys.  Pics here.

As you can see, they are Cherry stabilizers.  Long story short, my old Model S Professional that I bought in 2010 died on me, and DAS sent me a replacement.  I didn't like the feel of the space bar and decided to have a look to see if something was wrong.  Imagine my surprise when I saw what lurked under there.  From what I gather, the less crisp feel of the spacebar is normal with Cherry stabilizers.  Not really a fan of it, but other than that the keybord is OK, though I definitely preferred the original.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2013, 06:10:33 by InAComaDial999 »
WASD V2 w/Browns | Ducky 9008G2 Pro PBT w/Clears | Filco Majestouch 2 w/Blues | Filco Ninja TKL w/Reds

Offline Hyde

« Reply #154 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 09:44:42 »
Ahhhhhh this explains a lot.  I originally thought that they'd use the costar-like stabilizers found on the blackwidow.  But this makes more sense that it feels mushy because it's cherry stabilizer.

lol should ask them if they can send you a Das Ultimate instead (Costar).  Or sell it and buy a CM Storm XT when it comes out  :P

Offline InAComaDial999

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 13:19:51 »
I bought a Rosewill RK-9000 right after the original Das died, because I couldn't go back to the generic rubber dome spare I had in the closet.  I was going to keep the RK as a spare, but I figure if I don't get used to this in the next few days I'll switch back and keep the Das as a spare.  The space bar thing is not as jarring as I previously thought, and it isn't interfering with my typing, so I may stick with it after all.
WASD V2 w/Browns | Ducky 9008G2 Pro PBT w/Clears | Filco Majestouch 2 w/Blues | Filco Ninja TKL w/Reds

Offline TheQsanity

• SmallFry Lovin'
« Reply #156 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 14:40:50 »
I like Cherry Stabilizers, like on my Poker. Maybe you could switch out the stabilizers from your old Das.
SmallFry! <3

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #157 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 15:45:25 »
Ugh. They're unlinked stabilizers. NOBODY likes unlinked Cherrys on the spacebar. Not even me. There's two different types of Cherry stabilizers that I've encountered. The "A" type are unlinked; you know, where you're stabilizing a small key like backspace, where the X axis anchoring keeps it from walking. The "B" type are linked or what I usually call 'plate mount' or 'hybrid' stabilizers. There's a metal rod usually mounted to the plate which links the stabilizer action so they move in sync. (Not surprisingly, Wyse PCET is a great example of the "B" type.) On lighter keys especially, the linking rod is pretty damn critical to ensuring the feel is right. Instead Das has pretty blatantly cheaped out hardcore by using no link rod.

Offline Binge

• * Maker
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:13:33 »
the inside of my review Das did not look like that.... seriously worried for this company.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #159 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:17:35 »
I am seriously LOLing at rootwyrm now. That is on par with TP4's claim that you have to unsolder all the switches on the board to replace 1 switch.

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #160 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:24:03 »
I am seriously LOLing at rootwyrm now. That is on par with TP4's claim that you have to unsolder all the switches on the board to replace 1 switch.

Oh, because you're a complete and utter moron?
See attachment. You can shut your mouth now, monosyllabic simpleton. And kindly don't open it again.

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #161 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:32:43 »
That's a PCB mounted stabilizer. It is still linked.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #162 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 16:33:43 »
Lovely board chow there.

I have never seen this sort before. Where does that stabilizer go, and/or come up topside again?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #163 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 17:26:17 »
Lovely board chow there.

I have never seen this sort before. Where does that stabilizer go, and/or come up topside again?

Innit though? Also love the yellowing. That's one of my Wyse PCET's - a 1986. The stabilizer is mounted to the PCB using through-hole, and the rod itself is anchored to the plate below the spacebar switch itself - I believe this one is front-lip anchor style.
Edit: oh yeah, probably should note part of that chow is rust, too. Give you an idea of how rough that board is. Switches are just fine though, not surprisingly. Heavy MX Blacks.
« Last Edit: Wed, 13 February 2013, 17:30:22 by rootwyrm »

Offline laffindude

• ( ̽ ¬ ˳¬)
« Reply #164 on: Wed, 13 February 2013, 17:52:05 »
Dear rootwyrm, look closer at your supposedly "unlinked" stabilizers, and you'll find a stabilizer wire in there too.

I doubt that PCB mount stabilizer you pictured is mounted to the plate. It looks like it is just a PCB mount stabilizer mounted under a plate.

Offline cooklaw2

« Reply #165 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 13:35:04 »
[quote author=macguy80 link=topic=35375.msg758403#msg758403 date=1357585528]

[/size][/size]

[/quote]

Canada Computers and Amazon.ca both still have the Co-star Professional.

Offline HybridCore

« Reply #166 on: Tue, 19 February 2013, 20:24:42 »
No body believed me

Sounded pretty legit to me when I saw the post over at OCN.

It's sad to see them go. I would have been even more sad if they were making TKL boards. I love my TKL Filco.
Filco Majestouch Black w/ Cherry MX Blues

Offline chewyfruitloop

« Reply #167 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 09:04:34 »
i've had to have my taiwanese das replaced for the 2nd time as another key died in under 3 months
i've now got one of the dreaded chinese models

the key clicks seem much hollower than the old one and i'm not a fan of the symmetrical bottom row
i keep hitting the fn key when i'm going for the windows / ctrl key but thats just something i'll get used to i suppose

what i'm really hoping for is a > 3 month usage without keys dieing on this one

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
« Reply #168 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 13:23:49 »
One thing I never understand is how come people have such bad luck with keys dying on them.

I use keyboards for years (and I use them everyday as part of work and life) without any problems. In three decades, never had something die on me under two years.

Does this have anything to do with the usage pattern/ eg gamers hammer a lot on a few keys?

i've had to have my taiwanese das replaced for the 2nd time as another key died in under 3 months
i've now got one of the dreaded chinese models

the key clicks seem much hollower than the old one and i'm not a fan of the symmetrical bottom row
i keep hitting the fn key when i'm going for the windows / ctrl key but thats just something i'll get used to i suppose

what i'm really hoping for is a > 3 month usage without keys dieing on this one
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline chewyfruitloop

« Reply #169 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 10:09:21 »
i noticed the dead 4 on my first one because i use it a lot in starcraft
f8 died because i use it a lot at work for stepping through code

afaik, a cherry cap has ~50 million key press life, to get to that you would have to hit it 95 times a minute, 24 hours a day for a full year
admittedly you could get less or more than 50 mill, but you wouldn't expect < 3 months life out of any keyboard

Offline TreeSc2

« Reply #170 on: Thu, 09 May 2013, 15:51:42 »
I have the das ultimate anyhow, so im set :D

Offline littlenoises

« Reply #171 on: Tue, 04 June 2013, 15:17:09 »
I've just signed up here after reading this thread because my Das seems to be a somewhat odd model.
I've got the media keys, but, interestingly no Windows-key on the left side, also the label clearly says "made in Taiwan"
Could it be that my keyboard was made shortly before the manufacturer switch or something like that? Maybe someone here with better knowledge can help me out?

Also, please excuse the scratches, it's been used quite a bit by now :)

Offline chewyfruitloop

« Reply #172 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 07:06:24 »
well you seem to have a weird one there
afaik the media keys only came out in the last year
it looks like you have an old board with retro fitted keycaps...which seems to be the plausible reason for those keys

Offline littlenoises

« Reply #173 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 11:56:53 »
That could probably be it, thanks for the input.
That's certainly weird, the Das was purchased in August 2010 from an authorized German reseller... but hey, having non-standard equipment always is nice :)

Offline Hyde

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 16:29:28 »
If my memory served me right, I think they had a Costar made ones with volume control.....etc originally, then later on switch to without any secondary function, then finally when they switched OEM we get media edition (current one).

So I think you had the original batch one but good thing is that it's made by Costar I believe.

EDIT:  According to http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Das_Keyboard it seems like you have the Professional edition.  Which had some minor hardware issue but then later on they fixed it and came out with Professional S edition.
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2013, 16:32:20 by Hyde »

Offline wetto

« Reply #175 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 22:27:22 »
Ughhhh... I threw up when I saw the new space bar and keycaps quality...

New:

Old:

Why Das Keyboard, why? I used to love you guys and now you've proved to me that your keyboards are now just as bad if now worse than a bloody Razer Blackwidow! WHY?!?!

I love my Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent soo much and I even fixed its biggest problem and even made it look badass... Why can't Metadot do things right?  :(

« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2013, 22:31:02 by wetto »
My collection:
More

Offline Hyde

« Reply #176 on: Wed, 05 June 2013, 22:31:05 »
lol what the extra stem for?  Also I guess it's a bit more curved because of lens distortion from camera.

EDIT:  As for the gloss surface, I kind of like what Razer did with their 2013 edition.  The matte black finish feels quite nice actually, Das should've done that too  :P

24489-0

Source:  Custom PC Review
« Last Edit: Wed, 05 June 2013, 22:37:24 by Hyde »

Offline hrombaba

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 14 September 2013, 13:17:13 »
Hi, I'm new here.

I'm going to order my first mechanical keyboard and I decided to order Das Keyboard. I was decided for Profesional S. I can type without looking to my keyboard, but sometimes I'm looking for some special character and don't know where exactly is. But after reading this I'm pretty sure that I'll order Ultimate version rather than Proffesional.

I'm interested if the Ultimate version is still made in Taiwan or not? It's been a while since last post in this thread and I don't know if there is anything new?

Thanx

Offline Hyde

« Reply #178 on: Mon, 16 September 2013, 21:30:52 »
Yeah I'm not too sure if they ran out of old stock on the Ultimate yet.  Overall geekhack people aren't too big on Das Keyboard in general so we don't get much update on it.

What switch are you looking for?  Because at the current moment it sounds like QuickFire Rapid/QuickFire XT or WASD V2 would be better options.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #179 on: Tue, 17 September 2013, 04:46:08 »
What switch are you looking for?  Because at the current moment it sounds like QuickFire Rapid/QuickFire XT or WASD V2 would be better options.

Yeah, but they are exactly available in Central Europe. In fact, only QFR is... with only linear switches though.

Offline hrombaba

« Reply #180 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 10:05:14 »
DK Ultimate came today. Confirmed! It's still made in Taiwan. It feels so nice in my hands. I fell in love with it just in minute of using it!

Purchased in German shop http://www.getdigital.de/

Just now I'm waiting for my ordered red o-rings from wasd and some color key caps.

Thanx davkol for his help in czech forum :-)

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #181 on: Wed, 18 September 2013, 10:30:54 »
Enjoy.

Offline jangozo

« Reply #182 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 18:42:41 »
DK Ultimate came today. Confirmed! It's still made in Taiwan. It feels so nice in my hands. I fell in love with it just in minute of using it!

Just now I'm waiting for my ordered red o-rings from wasd and some color key caps.

Sure it's made in Taiwan but until somebody opens theirs to check the circuit board, nothing's for sure I'm afraid. I've got an Ultimate directly from Das Keyboards early this month also made in Taiwan and the space bar feel is uneven. Pressing the left side of the space bar feels much sturdier than when I press the right side which makes me think I'll find the same thing wetto found underneath.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 December 2013, 18:44:24 by jangozo »
Poker 2 (Cherry MX Brown)
Das Keyboard Model S Ultimate (Cherry MX Brown) - SOLD

Offline Hyde

« Reply #183 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 20:54:03 »
I think if it says it's made in Taiwan then for the most part you're safe.  As for the uneven spacebar, maybe check to see if the stabilizer wire is straight and sits properly.

I think even Costar make defects from time to time.  But yeah pop open your spacebar and check.

Follow this guide:

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #184 on: Tue, 24 December 2013, 21:23:14 »

Sure it's made in Taiwan but until somebody opens theirs to check the circuit board, nothing's for sure I'm afraid. I've got an Ultimate directly from Das Keyboards early this month also made in Taiwan and the space bar feel is uneven. Pressing the left side of the space bar feels much sturdier than when I press the right side which makes me think I'll find the same thing wetto found underneath.

You should take a picture of the spacebar

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline jangozo

« Reply #185 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 03:34:51 »
I guess the Ultimates are still fine. :)

However, I couldn't find what was wrong with the stabilizers. I inspected them and everything seemed normal but when I put the space bar back it was just like before (left side stable, right side noisy and wobbly).
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 December 2013, 03:48:34 by jangozo »

Offline terran5992

• One With The Cup Rubber
« Reply #186 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 03:58:20 »
The stabalizers look thinner on the left side

Listokei Custom  |  HHKB Pro 2  |  Topre Realforce 103UBH  |  Armageddon MKA-3

Offline jangozo

« Reply #187 on: Wed, 25 December 2013, 04:12:33 »
The stabalizers look thinner on the left side

Maybe it's the bad quality but I checked and they look equally thin to me. I even swapped them and it had no effect. I noticed something else, the metal piece isn't even. See how on the left side, the metal bar is touching the plastic and resting nicely but the right side isn't touching anything. I tried bending it to align them but it just wouldn't align.

Offline Xrayz0r

« Reply #188 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 04:13:40 »
Check this out. Is it robots running the Das Keyboard helpdesk?

Quality is at the forefront of everything we do at Das Keyboard. Our goal is to create the best keyboard and the only way to do that is to put quality first. In 2012, we made a significant investment in additional factories to meet expanding demand and have carefully chosen additional manufacturers who reflect the same level of quality we have always stood for. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to send us a message over at Das Keyboard and we’d be happy to address them.

Quote from: March 2014 response from Das Keyboard helpdesk
Thank you for contacting us. Quality is at the forefront of everything we do at Das Keyboard. Our goal is to create the best keyboard and the only way to do that is to put quality first. In 2012, we made a significant investment in additional factories to meet expanding demand. Although we cannot disclose our manufacturing partners, we have carefully chosen additional manufacturers who reflect the same level of quality we have always stood for. Our Ultimate models are manufactured in Taiwan and our Professional models are manufactured in China.

I hope this helps. Let me know if you have further questions.

Either a big coincidence, or they've been using the same standard response for 2 years now.

Or robots..

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #189 on: Mon, 31 March 2014, 04:59:38 »
Maybe they just run a patched version of the Corporate Bull**** Generator.