Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3509255 times)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #1350 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 08:31:58 »
You can see my Moose's Mods thread in my signature... err, if you click on the link in my signature, then follow it to the Moose's Mods thread, you will see me doing just that to a Poker.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1351 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 08:43:11 »
You can see my Moose's Mods thread in my signature... err, if you click on the link in my signature, then follow it to the Moose's Mods thread, you will see me doing just that to a Poker.

gotta go watch a moose do a poker......

capt i know you did an o-ring review but do you know or have you tried imsto's red orings and are they the same as the 40A-L from wasd? (or does anybody know?)

imsto oring in question link
http://item.taobao.com/item.htm?id=15475338795

EDIT:
found this but still not sure...
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=33413.msg746282#msg746282
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 May 2013, 08:51:05 by ray4jc »

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1352 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 09:00:56 »
I have not tried any o-rings besides the ones that WASD offers. I know WFD did a buy before which had a lot more options and Imsto had the ones you posted.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1353 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 17:21:39 »
where is the winebag/complaint thread were we can go have pitty parties about things that don't really matter?....

do we have  a "what's bothering you?" thread?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1354 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 17:28:20 »
where is the winebag/complaint thread were we can go have pitty parties about things that don't really matter?....

I believe it's called IRC :D

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1355 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 18:39:12 »

But at home I primarily use tapatalk :-[

and like now as I go through McDonalds drive through

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #1356 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:23:30 »
What is the IRC channel?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #1357 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:26:08 »
What is the IRC channel?
Up at the top alongside the home, help, unread, new, etc tabs there's a tab called 'IRC'
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1358 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:32:12 »
What is the IRC channel?

It's just a chatroom where some GHers and DTers hang out :D

Offline lazerpointer

• ya gotta stay phresh
« Reply #1359 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:45:42 »
What is the IRC channel?

It is the true form of Simple Questions and Simple Answers.

But you also get all kinds of other, highly unpredictable and often hilarious rhetoric alongside your answer  ;)
i type, therefore i geekhack

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1360 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:51:24 »
What is the IRC channel?

It is the true form of Simple Questions and Simple Answers.

But you also get all kinds of other, highly unpredictable and often hilarious rhetoric alongside your answer  ;)

I've gotten many of my answers for this thread there. But Flip is right, other nonsense might come with it haha.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1361 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 19:59:14 »
Ever tried to type on a board with zero caps installed?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1362 on: Tue, 07 May 2013, 20:06:09 »
Ever tried to type on a board with zero caps installed?

Yes, on my Black Alps board. It's kinda weird. Not horrible just feels funny, like there's not enough surface area and I need to hunt for the little top.

Offline Mandolin

• Crystal Connoisseur
  • * Maker
« Reply #1363 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 02:48:38 »
The nyan cat set is only for cherry? no alps?
Artisan keycap Maker
Working on
More
- Custom keycaps
- Artkeycaps V2 sale
- Due chihuahua and demoncat orders
- Boobiecaps
- Optic fiber embedded keycaps
- Others

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #1364 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 05:25:02 »
Quick question : Do light greys (tactile greys) have the same bump as clears or is it more/less prominent.
github

Offline WhiteFireDragon

• youtube
« Reply #1365 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 05:47:55 »

ALPS never get any love for customized caps.

Quick question : Do light greys (tactile greys) have the same bump as clears or is it more/less prominent.

Physically, the stems are exactly the same. But since they springs are different, the amount of tactile is a tad different as well. If you had the same springs in both of them, then they'll feel the same.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #1366 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 05:51:10 »

Physically, the stems are exactly the same. But since they springs are different, the amount of tactile is a tad different as well. If you had the same springs in both of them, then they'll feel the same.
Thanks.
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 May 2013, 06:00:14 by Photekq »
github

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1367 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 05:56:51 »

ALPS never get any love for customized caps.

I do have an Alps Orange on Black GeekHack cap and I've seen some other GH caps but I haven't seen many other novelty caps and no Alps sets.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1368 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 06:32:05 »
Where can I find more information on the hid liberator ?
Need suggestions for a keyboard that is going to be a gift.  Going to be getting 2 for my aunt and uncle.  I am not exactly sure what she does but I know that about 2/3 of her keys are now blank just due to the heavy use.  He runs some web server stuff from the house. 

I was thinking of getting 2 Days Keyboards one with blues and the other with browns and let them decide who wants which switch.

Any comments/suggestions?

If you've got some boards, bring those over to let em try different switches out and see what they like. And then I'd get Ducky because I really think the glossy finish on the Das boards are terrible. Filco might be nice too if you can afford one of those. But Das boards are nice quality, I just have a personal gripe with the finish.

Would love to take my Das over to them for them to try out but they live 8 hours away.  But I talk to my uncle Rich last night on Farceboob.  They used to use old IBM boards (my guess would be BS switches) but that was years ago.  He was telling me that both of them loved typing on them but as they are getting older now I don't think the Unicomp ones would be a good choice just due to spring rates (someone help me out on this).  But I asked about their typing style and he told me that he kind of attacks the board but she types more ladylike.  So this is bringing me to the conclusion that he will be getting MX blues and she will be getting MX Browns.  I told him about the WASD sampler pack and if down the road they want different switches I would be able to swap them out for them.  Rich alone goes through 3 or 4 dome boards a year right now so I think this would be a very welcome gift.  Now this is where I could use a touch of help.  Looking for a good solid keyboard that is plate mount and is offered in Blue and Brown switches.  Would like to stay under 130 USD but if price is a little higher I could probably swing it.  Again this site has provided so much help for me in every aspect I have asked about (aside from the wallet) and I'm sure the same will happen here as well.

Melvang

PS My build log has been semi-completed this tidbit is offered at the end of the video at the end of my thread
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1369 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 06:34:24 »
Sorry about the double post but can someone post the dimensions of the cut outs in the phantom plate for the easy switch swap?  I don't have calipers to accuratly measure mine.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #1370 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 06:38:55 »

To be more precise it's : 13.97mm, 0.8128mm, 0.98044mm, 12.00912mm.

Ask WFD before using it for anything though, although I'm sure he won't mind.
github

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1371 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 06:43:45 »

To be more precise it's : 13.97mm, 0.8128mm, 0.98044mm, 12.00912mm.

Ask WFD before using it for anything though, although I'm sure he won't mind.

Is these numbers converted from SAE to metric or was the original plans drawn up in metric?

Also I wouldn't me having any plates commercially made just wanting to mod the plate in my Das incase I get the urge to try different switches so I can de-solder at my leisure.

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
« Reply #1372 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 06:47:56 »
13.97=0.55in
0.81=0.032in
0.98=0.0386in
12.01=0.4728in
github

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1373 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 06:49:23 »
cool thanx photekq

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #1374 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 07:11:47 »
can someone translate this for me

21478-0

And just from the picture can anyone tell what size/firmness these are?

21480-1

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1375 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 07:12:35 »
Melvang, if you can afford it (it's about $20 more than your posted budget), I'l recommend a Filco MJ2. But I've also heard really good things about Ducky DK9008. And I actually really like the KBTalking Bluetooth keyboard that TechKeys and Binge are selling.

If you like the sound of Unicomps, OrangeJewce told me that he feels like the springs feel lighter than IBM BS boards. I believe I've heard the same from JDcarpe and other sources but I'm not 100% sure.

Edit: Also FYI Melvang, you can use Google to convert measurements. Try typing in "2 mm to in" and you'll see how it works. ^__^
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 May 2013, 07:23:22 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1376 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 07:45:20 »
Melvang, if you can afford it (it's about $20 more than your posted budget), I'l recommend a Filco MJ2. But I've also heard really good things about Ducky DK9008. And I actually really like the KBTalking Bluetooth keyboard that TechKeys and Binge are selling.

If you like the sound of Unicomps, OrangeJewce told me that he feels like the springs feel lighter than IBM BS boards. I believe I've heard the same from JDcarpe and other sources but I'm not 100% sure.

Edit: Also FYI Melvang, you can use Google to convert measurements. Try typing in "2 mm to in" and you'll see how it works. ^__^

I will def look into the Filco I don't think I have heard anything bad about that name.  On the topic of the new BS switchs from Unicomp vs the old IBM BS switches if anyone has both and could confirm this it would be WONDERFUL.

On the measurement conversion that wasn't the issue.  I work as a Union Millwright (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Millwright).  Was mostly wondering which side of the pond the original numbers were from.  IE to the best of my knowledge the US is one of 2 countries that don't use the metric system.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1377 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 07:55:24 »
Didn't mean to insult you sir ^__^

And hopefully jdcarpe pokes his head in or someone else who has both Unicomp/IBM. Mkawa might be a good source too :D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #1378 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 08:15:49 »

I don't think the Unicomp ones would be a good choice just due to spring rates.

I read this and did not really get what you were asking. There are subtle differences in sound and feel, but a Unicomp "IS" a Model M and the springs are pretty much the same.

I transplanted new Unicomp springs into my 1390131 and I would say that they are just a bit lighter. Is that because they were made differently or because they are fresher? Hard to say.

But I would not let those extremely minor differences stop you from getting the Unicomp (unless he is old and deaf and would not be annoyed by the sound of MX blues) because the Model M is clearly superior, especially if he wears out keyboards through use.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #1379 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 08:37:38 »
Although I have never owned nor used a Unicomp Model M, I agree with fohat.digs on the reliability. If he is wearing out rubber domes through use, and since he "kind of attacks the board," I would recommend a Model M for him without hesitation. With normal use, even vintage IBM and Lexmark Model M's will long outlive their owners. Or take us to the point where the keyboard is no longer a ubiquitous input device, but rather an archaic one. :)

I also heartily recommend Filco for MX-based full size keyboards. You cannot go wrong with a Filco. I have several TKL Filcos, and they are probably the highest quality production keyboards I have used. I haven't used the Ducky boards, but from the reviews, they seem like a quality product. You could also consider the WASD keyboard. Weyman and the crew at WASD have some of the best customer service in the business. And lastly, there is now Keycool with their 108-key boards. MechanicalKeyboards has them in-stock, here. I am typing this on a Keycool 87, and I am very impressed by the Keycool brand. See my review, here.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1380 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 08:40:58 »
Ooo, I forgot about the WASD boards JD. I've only ever heard really good things about them and I really want to try one out. Thanks!

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1381 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 08:45:56 »

I legitimately laughed out loud. Kudos sir.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1382 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 09:24:28 »
thoughts comments suggestions on the Vortex KBT One with PBT switches for a very heavy keyboard user?  Are they plate or pcb mount anyone know?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1383 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 09:25:56 »
thoughts comments suggestions on the Vortex KBT One with PBT switches for a very heavy keyboard user?  Are they plate or pcb mount anyone know?

I can't really recommend Vortex. Their QC is lacking, big time. I think you'll find that's the general consensus.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #1384 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 09:28:42 »
Alright thanx CPT.  I was looking around on www.mechanicalkeyboards.com and saw that the vortex was the only one in fullsize with PBT caps.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #1385 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 09:37:23 »
Full size + dyesub PBT caps = Unicomp :D

I'm not a huge fan of PBT. I just don't like the texture. To my fingers, smooth ABS (aka worn Cherry Corp) feel the best and "grippiest," while textured PBT feel "slick." I know this goes against what almost everyone else here believes, but I guess my fingers are just different from everyone else's. That's why I don't really get the whole PBT craze. Doubleshot ABS legends will last forever, the same as dyesub on PBT.

in memoriam

Offline frenchie4111

« Reply #1386 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 09:54:44 »
Question: What is the easiest way to keep my baby safe while traveling from location to location? I am carrying a backpack that I would like to store it in.

Filco MJ2 TKL

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1387 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 09:59:43 »
Question: What is the easiest way to keep my baby safe while traveling from location to location? I am carrying a backpack that I would like to store it in.

For just a keyboard cover/sleeve, you can try using a gunsock or check out the cases in this thread. TTesports and Razer also carry specialty keyboard bags specifically designed to carry cases. I'm sure other companies have something similar as well. For the meetups I've been to, the stock boxes or cardboard boxes seem popular. I carried all my boards in stock boxes.

I'm also having a custom keyboard carrying bag made for me. I'll post pictures later but there will be no GB or any ones made for sale. Just specifically for me. Sorry ^__^

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1388 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 10:00:26 »
I use a stroller. Children don't like backpacks.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1389 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 10:07:38 »
I'm not a huge fan of PBT. I just don't like the texture. To my fingers, smooth ABS (aka worn Cherry Corp) feel the best and "grippiest," while textured PBT feel "slick." I know this goes against what almost everyone else here believes, but I guess my fingers are just different from everyone else's. That's why I don't really get the whole PBT craze. Doubleshot ABS legends will last forever, the same as dyesub on PBT.

I also feel that PBT is overhyped. I do like them but I don't subscribe to the "PBT or die" mentality that seems to persist. That being said, I also like SP ABS caps...the thin ones ^__^

I heard that they really like those frontward facing harnesses that hang off your chest too. :P

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #1390 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 10:11:34 »
I also like SP ABS caps...the thin ones ^__^

GET OUT! Cherry or die!

Jk, SP is great for cool looking sets. But I will always prefer to type on a Cherry set. However I haven't tried a full PBT set, but I have two sets of IMSTO waiting at home right now waiting to be tried.
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1391 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 10:21:56 »

GET OUT! Cherry or die!

Jk, SP is great for cool looking sets. But I will always prefer to type on a Cherry set. However I haven't tried a full PBT set, but I have two sets of IMSTO waiting at home right now waiting to be tried.

I have SP caps on my Filco, Imsto PBT caps on my FC700R, and getting Cherry DS for my Epsilon. Im an equal opportunity keycap lover ^.^

Offline Sai

« Reply #1392 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 10:56:57 »

GET OUT! Cherry or die!

Get OUT! Cherry or die! :P
- WTB/WTT - Cotton Candy Brobot V2

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1393 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 11:02:06 »
It's all preferences. I only like Cherry profile, and don't really care who made them or out of what plastic. It's all about having the right shapes that I find most comfortable for typing on. Cherry keycaps being some of the best looking also does not hurt anything either though.

Offline eRadicatedZomBiE

• It's OK, I'm A Doctor.
« Reply #1394 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 11:10:25 »
Would switches on a QFR, fit on a Phantom Plated phantom board?  :confused:

unsure about PCB mounted and Plate mounted...
CM QFR | WASD V1 | Flico MJ2 LE Blue | Ducky 78 | Ducky DK9008G2 Pro LE  |Phantom |
Ergodox

My WTB Thread

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #1395 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 11:13:37 »

Should work since the QFR is plate mount. You can always make PCB mount switches into plate mount by clipping the legs of the bottom of the switch body. However, you cannot turn plate mount into PCB mount. You can use plate mount on a PCB only board, but you'll have to make sure all the switches are parallel otherwise your caps will look really weird
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1396 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 11:14:37 »

You can also check this link from the DT wiki which has pictures of the switches.

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1397 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 11:21:19 »
Cherry switches are cherry switches.  The only difference between PCB mount and Plate mount is the extra plastic pins sticking out the bottom.  They are interchangeable unless you have PCB switches and your PCB doesn't have the holes for 'em.  And even then, you can just snip them off with a set of edge cutters and be on your way.

Offline Spokoman

« Reply #1398 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 13:10:11 »
LMAO... I'll have to tell my baby son I have to borrow his for the NYC meetup  :p
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 May 2013, 10:50:37 by Spokoman »
Ducky Shine II Blue LED Brown Switches
CM QF TK Red LED Red Switches

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1399 on: Wed, 08 May 2013, 13:10:43 »
Heh. I try.