Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3505380 times)

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #850 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 08:16:42 »
So what is the heaviest most tactile and or clicky MX switch that I could actually hope to acquire 2 of from the classifieds?

Edit:..  Are there any boards out that are smaller than TKL with dedicated arrow keys, no F-row, no keys to the right of the Backspace and programmable?  It's hard to keep up with all the different boards out especially when one is this to to the industry.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 April 2013, 08:18:30 by Melvang »
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #851 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 08:27:23 »
So what is the heaviest most tactile and or clicky MX switch that I could actually hope to acquire 2 of from the classifieds?

Edit:..  Are there any boards out that are smaller than TKL with dedicated arrow keys, no F-row, no keys to the right of the Backspace and programmable?  It's hard to keep up with all the different boards out especially when one is this to to the industry.

1) You could try and find superblacks which are insanity but linear/tactile greys are probably more reasonable. For me, whites, greens, and blacks are the heaviest I'd want to go.

2) 75% boards are what you'd want to look into; boards like the Race or the MX-mini or the new Leopold 660s

Let me know if you want me to find links for you.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #852 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 08:54:08 »
This is what I would LOVE to have any idea if it exists or would I have to modify an existing design? 

Which one would get me the closest and having a programmable function layer?
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #853 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 08:58:52 »
A Race, Choc Mini, and MX Mini are all boards that come to mind that have a very similar layout to that. AFAIK, the MX-Mini is the only one that can be programmable since it's a Korean Custom. The Race and Choc Mini are boards made by Vortex and Noppoo respectively. The boards I listed are typically called 75% boards.
« Last Edit: Fri, 19 April 2013, 09:01:26 by CPTBadAss »

Offline inteli722

• Waiting for too much stuff...
« Reply #854 on: Fri, 19 April 2013, 10:17:54 »
This is what I would LOVE to have any idea if it exists or would I have to modify an existing design? 

Which one would get me the closest and having a programmable function layer?

GH60++ 65% Edition... :D
More

Visit the Typing Test and try!
R.I.P. SmallFry! You will be dearly missed.
Leopold FC200 |  CoolerMaster QFP Browns | Quickfire Rapid Greens | Quickfire Rapid Blues
Waiting for: Phantom Plate

Offline llovro

« Reply #855 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 01:23:54 »
CC wasd cluster is oem profile right? Also, are there any cool oem profile sets?

Offline naokira

• The King in the North
« Reply #856 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 07:41:27 »
Will a QFR top cover will fit a ducky YoTD? only the top cover
FaceW in LZ-CE

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #857 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 08:09:42 »
CC wasd cluster is oem profile right? Also, are there any cool oem profile sets?

Yes, I am fairly confident based on my own experience with ClickClacks that they're OEM profile. I saw some Clacks at the last Chicago meetup. I don't know if they're OEM but I can tell you about other WASD sets. I recently got R3 gamer set in orange. It also comes in lime green.

I know BroBots had a WASD kit that matched his BroBot caps. Those looked pretty cool. Jocelyn has a set and she said it was really nice. I'm not sure on the profile, maybe she'll see this and chime in. I've also seen Feng/Qtan carry some sets that are side print and in fun colors.

I know you asked for OEM profile but I don't know the profile of most of the WASD kits so I just thought I'd point some out for you.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #858 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 09:58:39 »
CC cluster is closer to SP profile, Bro-bots cluster is slightly shorter, closer to Cherry profile.
Looking for CC's!

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #859 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 10:18:28 »
CC cluster is closer to SP profile, Bro-bots cluster is slightly shorter, closer to Cherry profile.

The knowledge bombs. I has them now. :D

Offline ping111

« Reply #860 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 10:26:36 »
What is the cheapest keyboard with Cherry Browns, Clears, or Reds with only one key profile?
In My Possession:
Max Keyboard Nighthawk X8 Mechanical Keyboard - Cherry MX Brown - Blue LED Backlighting
Wanted:
KBTalking PURE - Tenkeyless - Cherry MX Brown - Green LED Backlighting

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #861 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 10:30:19 »
What is the cheapest keyboard with Cherry Browns, Clears, or Reds with only one key profile?

I don't think theres a uniform key profile board out there. The last time I saw a uniform key profile was Matt30's Retro DSA GB. Pics of those caps and his custom board can be found here.

In terms of cheapest keyboards, keep an eye out for QFR sales. Missalaire is usually good at posting good deals and I've seen QFRs go for $55 new. And if it helps, I got my BlackWidow for $55 but it had blues. And I did see a BlackWidow NIB somewhere for like $14. Can't remember if that was eBay or not though.

Edit: Speak of the devil....
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=42601.new;topicseen#new
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 April 2013, 10:31:53 by CPTBadAss »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #862 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 11:09:49 »
 008 Buna-N O-Ring, 50A Durometer, Round, Black, 3/16" ID, 5/16" OD, 1/16" Width (Pack of 125)

http://www.amazon.com/008-Buna-N-O-Ring-Durometer-Round/dp/B0051XWXCE/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_y

Can someone tell if me if these are the right size for either ducky oem abs and/or using with imsto thick pbt keycaps?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #863 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 11:13:18 »
008 Buna-N O-Ring, 50A Durometer, Round, Black, 3/16" ID, 5/16" OD, 1/16" Width (Pack of 125)

http://www.amazon.com/008-Buna-N-O-Ring-Durometer-Round/dp/B0051XWXCE/ref=pd_bxgy_pc_text_y

Can someone tell if me if these are the right size for either ducky oem abs and/or using with imsto thick pbt keycaps?

I'm not sure about the IDs and OD but do the Ducky OEM caps have cross-bars underneath? I know the Imsto ones do. Without the cross bars, the o-rings won't sound dampen or reduce travel as much. I made that mistake in my O-ring review.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #864 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 11:14:58 »
There are not a lot of flat profile boards. Maybe you can find clear version of TG3 BL82 but they usually have blacks, or otherwise perhaps G80-3800 with red or brown would be suitable?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #865 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 11:24:33 »

I'm not sure about the IDs and OD but do the Ducky OEM caps have cross-bars underneath? I know the Imsto ones do. Without the cross bars, the o-rings won't sound dampen or reduce travel as much. I made that mistake in my O-ring review.

Well in that case I'd better just get the keyboard and go from there. I can always customize later. Right?  :confused:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #866 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 11:27:29 »

Well in that case I'd better just get the keyboard and go from there. I can always customize later. Right?  :confused:

Once you get your board, you can definitely customize later. No need to get it all at once...and trust me, you'll customize it. You'll see something here you LOVE and a few months later, you'll have 5 boards, three of which are completely custom :P

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #867 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 11:36:42 »

Once you get your board, you can definitely customize later. No need to get it all at once...and trust me, you'll customize it. You'll see something here you LOVE and a few months later, you'll have 5 boards, three of which are completely custom :P

Yes I really see this being a slippery slope....I ran across the green gasmask keycap and thought.....that would look really awesome!

Wait what am I saying.....who pays $25 for a keycap....... :eek: oh wait that's cheap because at least its not $250 and will be $5 soon.....yeah I've been reading way too many threads

Now if I only there was a micro-transmitter that plugged into the mini-usb of the keyboard and another that plugged into the pc to make wired keyboard wireless.....anybody?

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
« Reply #868 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 11:43:54 »
will i get a clack tonight?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #869 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 11:44:13 »
Now if I only there was a micro-transmitter that plugged into the mini-usb of the keyboard and another that plugged into the pc to make wired keyboard wireless.....anybody?

Check the GH60 Wireless thread to see how they're working that out.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #870 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 11:44:43 »

Check the GH60 Wireless thread to see how they're working that out.

Wrong thread. Go post in the Church of Halverson thread. He will answer your desires :P

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #871 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 11:51:20 »

Wrong thread. Go post in the Church of Halverson thread. He will answer your desires :P

how should i address him? title? priest?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #872 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 11:58:23 »

How you address The Girlshark Wizbro is between you and him. I always call him Sharky.

Offline Permeability

« Reply #873 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 11:58:56 »
Are Filco/QFR controllers interchangeable?
Keyboards:
'The Cheat' - lubed 62g Clears
Ducky Shine 3 TKL lubed 45g Reds (Work)

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #874 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 12:01:05 »
No.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline cyberwave

« Reply #875 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 12:01:53 »

nope.
Filco

QFR

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #876 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 12:05:29 »
Will a QFR top cover will fit a ducky YoTD? only the top cover

The Spock has spoken and said that this is highly improbable.

Offline tjcaustin

• King Klaxon
  • * Maker
  • King of All Klaxon Sciences and Cable Makery
    • Buy stuff
« Reply #877 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 12:09:54 »

You call him halverson.

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #878 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 12:22:31 »

You call him halverson.

understood

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #879 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 12:49:20 »
How heavy are Topre 55g in comparison to cherry mx switches? Do they compare most to blacks?
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #881 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 12:57:12 »
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7253/dsc0481ef.jpg

where can i buy

Pretty sure those are from the What You Got in the Mail pics thread and the picture owner said those were from TaoBao.

How heavy are Topre 55g in comparison to cherry mx switches? Do they compare most to blacks?

I think they were a little lighter than black in terms of actuation but I don't like Topre switches so I'm a bad person to ask. Plus this is a little subjective
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 April 2013, 13:01:17 by CPTBadAss »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #882 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 13:03:34 »

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #883 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 13:06:13 »
http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/7253/dsc0481ef.jpg

where can i buy

Those are pretty sweet...

Just  quick google I found this

http://usb.brando.com/buffalo-usb-curled-cable-a-to-mini-b-_p01909c032d015.html

Out of stock but maybe gives you a direction....

thank you! i saw these buffalos when i started my serach, and will probably be picking them up when they go in stock,

i think the buffalos and the curl cables look nearly the same

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #884 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 14:07:09 »
Would it be safe to assume that the polarity on the pads for the LED's in the Orbweaver to be the same across the board?

Melvang

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #885 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 14:12:51 »
Anode side should be where the A is marked on the LED hole always.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #886 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 14:18:02 »
The LED pads on the orbweaver are not labled but i just checked with a new LED and they are all the same polarity with positive (long leg on new LED) being on the right side of the board when right side up

Edit:  Time to start putting LEDs back in my Orbweaver of the blue variety.  Pics to follow.
« Last Edit: Sat, 20 April 2013, 14:20:58 by Melvang »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #887 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 14:27:59 »
Can someone tell me where I can go in the settings to change the colors of the forum? I was a link in the top 'news' feed one day but didn't click it.....

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #888 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 14:33:11 »
Profile, account settings, modify profile (pop up menu) > look and layout.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #889 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 15:31:14 »
When ordering LED's in bulk (125) is it normal to get one or 2 in the lot that don't work?

Offline llovro

« Reply #890 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 15:48:07 »
Does anyone know when the darth vader click clacks were sold?

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #891 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 15:57:16 »
When ordering LED's in bulk (125) is it normal to get one or 2 in the lot that don't work?
I guess it wold depend on where you ordered them from (and specifically the sort of OEM that made them in the first place). Last time I ordered led's from eBay, I got some extra just in case. All mine worked, but I was expecting them not to. but if I order a reel of expensive flashlight LEDs from cree, I'd expect them to work.

Offline Dreamre

• kbdlife
« Reply #892 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 16:04:03 »
If I swap the LEDs on my Filco MJ2 with ones off eBay (3mm with 3.2-3.4v) would I need to do any additional modifications? Or would these just be a quick swap?

Thanks!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #893 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 16:10:35 »
Alright thanx.  I ordered 125 of these from Digi-Key at $0.33 each after shipping
WP710A10QBC/D
754-1596-ND is the Digi Key number

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #894 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 16:51:41 »
Sorry bout the double post but here is a pic of my orbweaver with blue LED's MX Reds on the "WASD" and MX Clears everywhere else.

A HUGE thanx to all you guys.  I never would have been able to do this without you.

Edit: Brightness on the LED's is maxxed out the font is much easier to read in person

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #895 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 19:53:39 »
What colors do CC WASD + Skull sets come in besides Mint Gum?

PS - I haven't won anything yet :)

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #896 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 19:54:43 »
I've seen Octopink and Candy Corn ones, as well as Splats. I'm sure there are others.

Offline Turbo Slaab

« Reply #897 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 22:36:37 »
What colors do CC WASD + Skull sets come in besides Mint Gum?

PS - I haven't won anything yet :)

I've seen Octopink and Candy Corn ones, as well as Splats. I'm sure there are others.

P1 purple and orangesicle as well. Also, there's another shade of green in the CC wiki.
Looking for CC's!

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #898 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 22:40:20 »
Thank You for the replies esoomenona & Turbo Slaab :)

You mentioned there's another shade of green in the CC wiki, but it looks like Mint Green and Green (Asparagus) are the same.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #899 on: Sat, 20 April 2013, 22:44:30 »
Thank You for the replies esoomenona & Turbo Slaab :)

You mentioned there's another shade of green in the CC wiki, but it looks like Mint Green and Green (Asparagus) are the same.

They are the same. Mint Green is the color that CC calls them. Green is the shade of green I got from wikipedia. The actual color green. And eth0s has a WASD set with a Skull that's octopink. It looks super hot.