Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3479098 times)

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
    • Dubs - Sneakers, Keyboards, and Life
Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #1100 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 13:00:15 »
I want to trade my Topre CC, mainly because i can't use it, but i don't wanna be seen as rarar-like or something.

i guess i'll wait it out.

question for the main thread:

any differences in a Vintage Black on Beige Cherry DS set and a GMK Cherry Replica Black on Beige DS set (that sherry has)?

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #1101 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 13:03:22 »
any differences in a Vintage Black on Beige Cherry DS set and a GMK Cherry Replica Black on Beige DS set (that sherry has)?
Aside from the tab button I don't think there's a single difference - Sherry chose a different tab icon for some stupid reason.

I want to trade my Topre CC, mainly because i can't use it, but i don't wanna be seen as rarar-like or something.
The difference is that rarar whined to get the damn dibs code. He shouldn't have got the cap in the first place. You, on the other hand, got your cap fairly.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
  • Location: 75% You have received a warning for attempting to circumvent the classifieds rules
« Reply #1102 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 13:06:52 »
ok..might go for sherry's set then..

and all i really want is a mx julysicle, so at least i have trading fodder now. i'm still happy i have one, but if i could even use it, it would be sick

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1103 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 13:08:34 »
Most Vintage Cherry black on beige sets I've seen have the A profile bottom row (more of an angle), whereas sherry's has B profile bottom row (same as the row above it).

Offline Photekq

• wheat flour zone
  • sorry if i was ever an ******* to you
« Reply #1104 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 13:09:12 »
Go for it. Brand new caps with original tooling & a slightly different tab > possibility of having shiny, yellowed old abs keys imo.
https://kbdarchive.org/
github
discord: hi mum#5710

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #1105 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 13:21:32 »
Ok that should be enough information lol.
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline Dubsgalore

• Banned
« Reply #1106 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 13:23:44 »
Go for it. Brand new caps with original tooling & a slightly different tab > possibility of having shiny, yellowed old abs keys imo.

yeah i think i was gonna go for that. i thought the spacing was fugged up with the sherry sets for a sec this morning, but they look good. don't want any spacing issues hehe

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #1107 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 15:24:17 »
about how difficult would it be to add LEDs to a poker?

does the PCB support it, or will this involve some funky wiring?

Offline Jocelyn

• 조셀린
« Reply #1108 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 15:27:30 »
If you're referring to adding additional LEDs not supported by the poker, you'll have to run them to one of the current LED power or to the USB.

Here is the WASD to Esc mod WhiteFireDragon did for me.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1109 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 16:26:52 »
If I have a custom keyboard, and I want to have different color LEDs, how do I set that up? I read that I need to setup different voltages? Is this controlled by diodes or something else?

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1110 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 16:34:24 »
What color LEDs were you thinking? Resistors are what controls the lower voltages.

Offline Rule16

• R.I.P. SmallFry
« Reply #1111 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 16:43:43 »
Will Filco TKL cases fit a QFR? If not, do they make aluminum cases for the QFR anywhere?
Also... how heavy are zinc keycaps? For instance, they wouldnt make cherry blacks feel like cherry reds would they?
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 April 2013, 17:00:46 by Rule16 »
| KB Paradise V60 Maias Quiet Click | Realforce 55gram 87U | MiniTouch (Ivory Hua-Jie) | Poker II | IBM Model F | Unicomp Ultraclassic | Dell AT101W (Black Alps) | WASD Code (Clear) |
Dvorak Only Zone

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1112 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 17:01:37 »
If I have a custom keyboard, and I want to have different color LEDs, how do I set that up? I read that I need to setup different voltages? Is this controlled by diodes or something else?

What color LEDs were you thinking? Resistors are what controls the lower voltages.

Green and Cyan LEDs.

I was asking for Glissant and apparently there's no difference between the two LEDs.  Carry on.

Will Filco TKL cases fit a QFR? If not, do they make aluminum cases for the QFR anywhere?

Pretty sure the only issue is that the QFR USB is detachable and the Filco cables aren't. Vortex aluminum cases will fit the QFR and are sold on MechanicalKeyboards.com. I wouldn't recommend though. I wasn't impressed with the quality.
« Last Edit: Sat, 27 April 2013, 17:10:18 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #1113 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 19:50:46 »
(directed to owners of realforces)
Sorry to intrude but I took the plunge and got a 87u, is the abs spacebar gonna be an issue?
Peripherals:
Realforce 87uw with grey caps,Ducky YOTR Blues,Realforce 104ug Hipro,Zowie Am FG,WMO 1.1a,Sidewinder X3

Offline WatchMaker

« Reply #1114 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 22:21:09 »
ducky shine 2 says key width 12.6 mm
Is that measuring the top or bottom of the keycap?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1115 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 22:30:24 »
Sorry to intrude but I took the plunge and got a 87u, is the abs spacebar gonna be an issue?

Problem how? Can you clarify?

ducky shine 2 says key width 12.6 mm
Is that measuring the top or bottom of the keycap?

I think its the base/bottom front-face width.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1116 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 22:32:37 »
If he's asking whether it's going to shine faster than the rest of the set, well, ABS tends to do that. And it seems to me, spacebars are especially prone to it in the one spot on always touch it.

Offline Lmnr

• The Jack Of All Trades
    • W.W.C.
« Reply #1117 on: Sat, 27 April 2013, 23:00:40 »
If he's asking whether it's going to shine faster than the rest of the set, well, ABS tends to do that. And it seems to me, spacebars are especially prone to it in the one spot on always touch it.

Yea, I was wondering since only the spacebar is abs that maybe its not too bad but I guess ill find out.
Peripherals:

Offline speedkills

« Reply #1118 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 04:26:58 »

[/quote]

the housing does not matter all the internals on all MX switches are the same the only differences are the stems and the springs just use the housings that are already mounted if pcb mount and which ever if you have to desolder for plate mount.

Melvang

[/quote]

Perfect, that means I don't have to wait for the new keys, thanks.

-Shane

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #1119 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 04:44:13 »
Are there plates designed for full-sized keyboards that allow for the removal of the switch top?

Offline speedkills

« Reply #1120 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 04:46:07 »
Are any Cherry keys PCB compatible with any other brands of keys?  Everyone talks about switching between Cherry colors but are there other brands of keys that can be swapped out with Cherry's with a little soldering?  My girl actually loves the feeling of scissor keys and I was curious if I could take a keyboard made for Cherry's like the ergodox and put something with a higher activation point on them, say an Alps for example.

Offline The_Beast

• * Maker
  • I like wood ಠ_๏
« Reply #1121 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 04:46:35 »
Are there plates designed for full-sized keyboards that allow for the removal of the switch top?

Nope. The only custom plates I've seen that allow switch top removal are TKL sized and below
Vendor Status: Sadly, not taking any orders/pre-orders at this time

Vendor Quick Links: | Vendor Forum | Hardwood Wrist Rests | Hardwood 60% Cases | Customer Gallery | Giveaway |

Offline Bencze

« Reply #1122 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 05:13:34 »
I know it's only partially relevant here, but I was wondering maybe I should start learning to solder. Could be a useful skill for many things, including keyboards. However I have no clue about electronics except I heard of amper, voltage, watts and I barely remember what resistance does from school.
I looked at some soldering irons / stations and there's a wide variety, from 10 to 100 watt, and from (europe) 230v to lower voltage ones...
How does one make sense for it? What value should I aim for, in a soldering iron, let's say concerning pcbs/keyboards? In some situations lower power might not be enough, higher might burn stuff. Are these always configurable, like 50w means it can do 50 and lower?
If one wants to be able to desolder at some point (I think inevitable if we talk about keyboards, at some point one may want to change switches or whatnot), is there any special requirement for that in a soldering iron?

I know some of these can be had for very cheap on the other hand some people say don't even bother doing any good work with cheapest ones especially desoldering. Any truth to that? Is this a 100$ ticket really or it's just a slight exaggeration? I think an important question unless one does any serious work at least few hours a week...
-= QFR w/ mx blues - HPE87 w/ mx browns - Ducky 1087XM w/ green alps =-

Offline iri

« Reply #1123 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 05:20:21 »
no.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
« Reply #1124 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 05:47:18 »

Nope. The only custom plates I've seen that allow switch top removal are TKL sized and below

Alright.  Thanks for verifying that for me. 

Oh well, time to make my own!  :cool:

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1125 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 10:00:12 »
I know it's only partially relevant here, but I was wondering maybe I should start learning to solder. Could be a useful skill for many things, including keyboards. However I have no clue about electronics except I heard of amper, voltage, watts and I barely remember what resistance does from school.
I looked at some soldering irons / stations and there's a wide variety, from 10 to 100 watt, and from (europe) 230v to lower voltage ones...
How does one make sense for it? What value should I aim for, in a soldering iron, let's say concerning pcbs/keyboards? In some situations lower power might not be enough, higher might burn stuff. Are these always configurable, like 50w means it can do 50 and lower?
If one wants to be able to desolder at some point (I think inevitable if we talk about keyboards, at some point one may want to change switches or whatnot), is there any special requirement for that in a soldering iron?

I know some of these can be had for very cheap on the other hand some people say don't even bother doing any good work with cheapest ones especially desoldering. Any truth to that? Is this a 100$ ticket really or it's just a slight exaggeration? I think an important question unless one does any serious work at least few hours a week...

I would highly recommend reading through this thread to get some info. Feel free to come back if you think you'd like more questions answered but I really think that thread is a solid beginner's guide for soldering equipment.

Are any Cherry keys PCB compatible with any other brands of keys?  Everyone talks about switching between Cherry colors but are there other brands of keys that can be swapped out with Cherry's with a little soldering?  My girl actually loves the feeling of scissor keys and I was curious if I could take a keyboard made for Cherry's like the ergodox and put something with a higher activation point on them, say an Alps for example.

No. Cherry MX PCBs only fit Cherry MX Switches. Hence why there is a seperate discussion/IC about having GH60-Alps and a GH60-ML variants.
« Last Edit: Sun, 28 April 2013, 10:05:36 by CPTBadAss »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1126 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 11:58:30 »
Does anyone know how much voltage is normally supplied to the power LED on the case?  I know it might vary between motherboards but just asking before I tear into mine to find out.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline BADBADNOTGOOD

« Reply #1127 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 15:15:19 »
Can you buy alps switches by themselves like you can cherry switches or will you need a donor board?

(I know they are out of production but i want to know if its still possible)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #1128 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 15:22:07 »
Can you buy alps switches by themselves like you can cherry switches or will you need a donor board?

I've seen 7bit selling them at Deskthority.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1129 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 15:33:54 »

I bought a bunch of donor boards.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1130 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 15:39:10 »
Also, people are buying the Matias switches.

Offline BADBADNOTGOOD

« Reply #1131 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 16:39:06 »

How do you order just the switches from their website?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1132 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 17:47:07 »

How do you order just the switches from their website?

They apparently took the switches off their website.  Before they were here.

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #1133 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 18:11:01 »
Will my Quickfire TK burn the Nexus 10 battery (The blacklight i am talking of) if I use otg to connect it?
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline BADBADNOTGOOD

« Reply #1134 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 19:38:58 »
Will my Quickfire TK burn the Nexus 10 battery (The blacklight i am talking of) if I use otg to connect it?

I doubt it. The nexus has quite a beefy battery. I have seen people plug a mouse and keyboard in at the same time with no troubles. My nexus 7 has an external ssd which doesnt seem to have much of an effect on battery life as far as i can tell.

But i guess there is only one way to find out...

Offline linziyi

• The one with many questions
« Reply #1135 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 19:43:46 »

I doubt it. The nexus has quite a beefy battery. I have seen people plug a mouse and keyboard in at the same time with no troubles. My nexus 7 has an external ssd which doesnt seem to have much of an effect on battery life as far as i can tell.

But i guess there is only one way to find out...

^.^ i'll try
Ducky DK9008G2 Pro

"Much to learn you still have" --Yoda

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #1136 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 23:00:40 »
If i remove a switch from the matrix, do I have to install a jumper across the pads where the pins would be at for the rest of the keys in that row/column to work?

Melvang
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline metalliqaz

• * Maker
  • Leopold fanboy
« Reply #1137 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 23:02:03 »
No.  If you installed a jumper, it would be as if the switch was always pressed.  That's not what you want.  You want the switch to be /never/ pressed, which means just leave it open.

Offline L4yercake

« Reply #1138 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 23:09:03 »
Where does one find double-shot WoB 1.5 Cherry Modifiers and pricing? I've found a lasered set but I'd much rather have a matching set.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • Leaving 6/15; returning 6/22 or so.
« Reply #1139 on: Sun, 28 April 2013, 23:36:05 »
Where does one find double-shot WoB 1.5 Cherry Modifiers and pricing? I've found a lasered set but I'd much rather have a matching set.
Onedoesnotsimply.jpg
When I bought my set I had been searching for months. Sometimes they come up on eBay on 1800 variant boards. Last one I saw was $75 BIN.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #1140 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 09:26:59 »
White on black with 1.5 from 1800 on taobao, says there is 7 stock I think...

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1141 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 09:54:48 »
Is that listing just for those 5 caps? Or a whole set?

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1142 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 10:37:18 »
SmallFry showed me that listing; it was a keyboard w/ the full set. Kinda like how ppl buy MY7000

Offline Bry

« Reply #1143 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 10:44:13 »

If you're going to be taking switches off the pcb, get a solder pump. It'll make your life a lot easier.

last.fm | deviantART | SC2
Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Red | Filco MJ2 Ninja - MX Brown | U9BLS - MX Brown

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1144 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 10:46:48 »
Topre is capacitive. You don't need to solder Topre switches. My bad, looks like you quoted the wrong person before.

Offline HID45

« Reply #1145 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 13:21:47 »
Is there a company which could deliver custom keyboard with multiple switch types and backlighting? I know WASD, but they don't do backlighting, different types of switches in the same board, and for some reason, no MX reds which would be my choice for letter and arrow switches (then blues for numpad and blacks for all the rest).

Is there a company that could make such board, or is the only way to DIY by trial and error? Which, in my case would be far more expensive, even if the commercial custom board would cost a fortune.

Offline CPTBadAss

• Woke up like this
    • Tactile Zine
« Reply #1146 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 13:24:51 »
Is there a company which could deliver custom keyboard with multiple switch types and backlighting? I know WASD, but they don't do backlighting, different types of switches in the same board, and for some reason, no MX reds which would be my choice for letter and arrow switches (then blues for numpad and blacks for all the rest).

Is there a company that could make such board, or is the only way to DIY by trial and error? Which, in my case would be far more expensive, even if the commercial custom board would cost a fortune.

Ducky has a few hybrid boards and I think the Ducky 78 has backlighting. But they're not setup in the fashion you want. I think the WASD V2 will offer backlighting. Your best option is to mod a board yourself.

Offline remedyhalopc

« Reply #1147 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 18:27:42 »
There are several sources to mod your board if you're uncomfortable doing it.

WFD, JD, Mimic, Prof, Daniel are ones with established work done.

I'm going to start modding boards for people soon if you're interested.

Offline SmallFry

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #1148 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 18:44:04 »
I can also solder, but I'm a bit backed up currently.

Offline esoomenona

• Gnillort?
« Reply #1149 on: Mon, 29 April 2013, 18:47:40 »
I can also solder, but I'm a bit backed up currently.
Maybe some Metamucil or something? You can still solder on the john, no?