Author Topic: [IC] The Banana Split 60 - Group Buy Launching June 1st!  (Read 183497 times)

Offline dyoungc

Is there an estimated price on this PCB + plate GB?
I'm currently deciding between this and the current GB for YAS62 with the split spacebar layout. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87511.0;topicseen

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these two PCBs?
As far as I can tell, theres:
-more flexibility in bottom left layout and support for different size spacebars/layouts on YAS
-orientation of keys around arrow cluster
-YAS has 0.75u spaces on bottom

I'm on the fence about both, so my choice would really come down to price.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Is there an estimated price on this PCB + plate GB?
I'm currently deciding between this and the current GB for YAS62 with the split spacebar layout. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=87511.0;topicseen

Can anyone tell me what the difference is between these two PCBs?
As far as I can tell, theres:
-more flexibility in bottom left layout and support for different size spacebars/layouts on YAS
-orientation of keys around arrow cluster
-YAS has 0.75u spaces on bottom

I'm on the fence about both, so my choice would really come down to price.

We're shooting for $40 for the plate and $40 for the pcb. As for shipping costs, we'll be shipping from the US. I might be able to get the plate cost down to $30-35, but that's tentative.

Your call :D , I didn't even realize the YAS board existed until a week or two ago. Randomly people started comparing this board to the other one. If you want a classic style 60 go for the Banana, if the HHKB layout is something you like I would go for the YAS.

Offline dyoungc

Thanks for the quick reply.
So it looks like there's about $15 - $20 price difference.
I'll have to do some more research and thinking before I commit to one.   

Offline Giorgio

A thick PCB would be a good idea for those who don't want a plate.

Offline Daphen

Would a blocked layout be possible?
Looking for an HHKB with split space. :)

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Would a blocked layout be possible?
Looking for an HHKB with split space. :)

Our pcb support multiple hhkb style layouts. As for the plate you would have to get one custom cut if you want the blocked look. Lasergist offers some competitive prices, you can get a stainless steel plate cut for around $60.

Offline ChitownM2

Just found this IC & like others are currently looking at the yas GB.

The main benefit I see here is that it doesn't have the 0.75u spaces on the bottom row which means I wouldn't need a low profile case.

Any ideas on how far out this GB is from launching? I think that will play a role in whether I get 2 yas boards or one of each...

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

The main benefit I see here is that it doesn't have the 0.75u spaces on the bottom row which means I wouldn't need a low profile case.

Any ideas on how far out this GB is from launching? I think that will play a role in whether I get 2 yas boards or one of each...

Still a while away, evan is in the process of moving so not much work has been done on the pcb. For the gb launch I'd like to shoot for early spring time, march-april.

Offline ChitownM2

Still a while away, evan is in the process of moving so not much work has been done on the pcb. For the gb launch I'd like to shoot for early spring time, march-april.

That's not too far away compared to most of the ICs on here.  :)
« Last Edit: Fri, 24 February 2017, 23:18:48 by ChitownM2 »

Offline Giorgio

This is probably my end game PCB

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

This is probably my end game PCB

Means a lot :)

Offline 112227

I wish I would have seen this prior to jumping on the YAS62 GB.
That 5 x 1u  on the right side of the space bar is ideal for me.
I'll be keeping an eye out in case the other layout ends up not working out for me...

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
I wish I would have seen this prior to jumping on the YAS62 GB.
That 5 x 1u  on the right side of the space bar is ideal for me.
I'll be keeping an eye out in case the other layout ends up not working out for me...

We won't be dropping the gb for a while, so you have time to save some money :D
« Last Edit: Sun, 26 February 2017, 13:56:46 by Arhipio »

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Minor update, redid the the backspace cutout. The original holes were too close for comfort at around .38 mm. Now it's at 1.38mm which should be thick enough for rigidity.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Updated original post with a FAQ section, schedule and future plans. As well as redoing the logo a bit. Hope everyone is having a great day :D . More updates to come!

Offline entr0py33

Looks cool!

Have you considered adding compatibility for a 1.75u Stepped caps lock style key next to the arrow key?  It'd add some nice natural separation between the alphas and the arrow keys without leaving a hole in the board layout.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Looks cool!

Have you considered adding compatibility for a 1.75u Stepped caps lock style key next to the arrow key?  It'd add some nice natural separation between the alphas and the arrow keys without leaving a hole in the board layout.

That's an interesting idea, although if you buy a keycap set that has a stepped capslock included, it will probably have a 1.75u shift key included that could be used for that key. For this round our design is finalized, but I will definitely consider this for future rounds. Thanks for the suggestion :D

without leaving a hole in the board layout.

What do you mean by a hole?

Offline Str1pez

I'm so in on this.  I got in on GMK Plum with the Planck/Ergo kit just for the stupid blank keys for space bars for this board lol.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
I'm so in on this.  I got in on GMK Plum with the Planck/Ergo kit just for the stupid blank keys for space bars for this board lol.

Hehe I'm getting excited, my enjoy pbt caps came in that I will be using for the banana, can't wait. :D

Offline Enoch

Definitely looking forward to this!  ^-^

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Been in contact with a laser cutting place for a week now, they got back to me with a great quote (potential price drop could be possible). Going to get a prototype made from them with a brushed finish. Can't wait! Hope everyone is having a great day.

Offline Giorgio

Been in contact with a laser cutting place for a week now, they got back to me with a great quote (potential price drop could be possible). Going to get a prototype made from them with a brushed finish. Can't wait! Hope everyone is having a great day.

Thank you! To make this gb run faster, would it be possible to invest some of the money saved, by hiring someone who can design the pcb in a shorter time?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

Thank you! To make this gb run faster, would it be possible to invest some of the money saved, by hiring someone who can design the pcb in a shorter time?

This project wouldn't be possible without evan, he is currently busy with personal things. Sadly the project was started at an unfortunate time, but don't worry we will hit the gb stage soon. He is working on the pcb design as we speak.

TLDR: No.
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 March 2017, 12:21:19 by Arhipio »

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Just placed the order for the plate prototype. Will post as soon as I get my hands on it.  :thumb:

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Should be getting my sample by the end of this week :D So excited it's finally happening, can't wait to share it with all of you.

Edit: Sample for the plate only.
« Last Edit: Thu, 09 March 2017, 00:49:57 by Arhipio »

Offline ChitownM2

Should be getting my sample by the end of this week :D So excited it's finally happening, can't wait to share it with all of you.

Edit: Sample for the plate only.

sweet

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Would there be interest in a genuine cherry pcb stabilizer pack. It would include six 2u, and one 6.25u; which should be everything needed to cover all the supported layouts. The price would be $10.

Offline dr-slump

Would there be interest in a genuine cherry pcb stabilizer pack. It would include six 2u, and one 6.25u; which should be everything needed to cover all the supported layouts. The price would be $10.

Yeah. I'm definitely interested in getting everything in one order !  :thumb:
Waiting for GMK Miami Dolch ISO . . .

Looking for: Titainium Spacebar 6.25

Offline FailiX

Hi,
I am really thinking about getting this to replace my NerD60.

I have only one question:
Will the PCB support the Holtites to hot-swap switches?
Here is a link to the Holtites in case you don't know them already http://www.digikey.de/product-detail/de/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/8134-HC-8P3/A114359-ND/1151726

I hope this question has not been answered here already.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Hi,
I am really thinking about getting this to replace my NerD60.

I have only one question:
Will the PCB support the Holtites to hot-swap switches?
Here is a link to the Holtites in case you don't know them already http://www.digikey.de/product-detail/de/te-connectivity-amp-connectors/8134-HC-8P3/A114359-ND/1151726

I hope this question has not been answered here already.

I believe we are not going to have support for Holtites, I can double check with evan.

Offline FactoryDefaults

Looks great! I'm in for the PCB and plate. Do you know what the color of the PCB will be?

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Looks great! I'm in for the PCB and plate. Do you know what the color of the PCB will be?

I want a cream/yellow to go with the whole banana theme. :D But we could always fall back on white.

Offline Giorgio

I want a cream/yellow to go with the whole banana theme. :D But we could always fall back on white.

poll?

Offline FactoryDefaults

poll?

As much as I would respect going all out with the whole banana theme, I'd rather want to see either a black or white PCB for aesthethic reasons, hehe. Poll sounds good to me too!

Offline Giorgio

poll?

As much as I would respect going all out with the whole banana theme, I'd rather want to see either a black or white PCB for aesthethic reasons, hehe. Poll sounds good to me too!

Thanks for being diplomatic

Offline FactoryDefaults

poll?

Thanks for being diplomatic
Hehe got to respect the creators choices!

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

poll?

Maybe I don't see the pcb aesthetic as really being a concern (you barely see the pcb if at all). A yellow pcb for this board was something I envisioned from the start. Here would be an example of how the yellow pcb would look.

Offline megaforce

Too many 60% black and white PCBs floating around, I'm down for an unique color  :thumb:
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline FactoryDefaults

poll?

Maybe I don't see the pcb aesthetic as really being a concern (you barely see the pcb if at all). A yellow pcb for this board was something I envisioned from the start. Here would be an example of how the yellow pcb would look.

Show Image

Idk man, the yellow is kind of a dealbreaker to me. But the choice remains yours and would understand if you went for that.

Offline afrokobe

I would really prefer it not to be yellow D:

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
There are a handful of people that would put these in an exposed case I guess and would prefer not to see yellow.  The number of people that would skip a yellow PCB would probably be greater than the number of people that would skip a black PCB because they wanted banana.  Personally I think yellow would be cool, and I would literally never see it after the build so why not. 
keyboards.

Offline ChitownM2

A yellow pcb will probably drive many more people away than it will attract. Worth keeping in mind...

I'm not sure exactly what case I plan to use so I'd prefer to stick with something more standard.

Offline thad

I'm all for what ever Arhipio wants, it's his board. I'm in for the layouts. Yellow would set it apart from all the others in my mind. Zeal does purple...I don't like it, but if I want a zeal board I gotta get a purple PCB

Offline FoC_Tow

• * Destiny Supporter
  • Brokehlicious
Sound like we need banana theme & conservative secondary option =)

Jk, I understand the concerns but I would personally love a yellow pcb to go with the theme

Offline megaforce

inb4 sonic 99 cent banana split vouchers with every order.
More
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline Parva Ovis

I'm in favor of a yellow PCB but I'll buy one as long as it isn't red.

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan
Thanks for the support guys, didn't expect a pcb color to be so controversial. I'm sticking with yellow, fits the theme and it's unique. It'll stand out with all the white pcb's currently out.

Offline thad

Sounds good to me. It's your GB, make it how you want.

Offline megaforce

Thanks for the support guys, didn't expect a pcb color to be so controversial. I'm sticking with yellow, fits the theme and it's unique. It'll stand out with all the white pcb's currently out.

yeah but sonic vouchers.
More

Offline Arhipio

• TheBananaMan

yeah but sonic vouchers.

I'll try and strike up a deal with them, free banana splits for everyone who purchases a board. xD