Author Topic: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)  (Read 3506941 times)

Offline Boskr

Re: Simple Questions, Simple Answers (FAQ in the OP)
« Reply #15750 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 14:19:33 »
Does https://mechanicalkeyboards.com ship to Germany?
Had to do a small bit of digging, but I found this, from https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/customer_service.php?t=Do you ship Internationally?

Do you ship Internationally?

Yes, Mechanical Keyboards Inc currently ships to all countries to which USPS and FedEx service. Please note that our shipping estimator may not work for your International Order, so you will want to proceed to checkout step 2 to see your shipping quote.
Levinson split 40%, Gat Greens, DSA Blank
GH60, Cherry Browns, OEM Granite
Razer BWX TE, Gat Blacks+RGB, DSA Blank, No Logo (522 Solder Joints!!!)
Razer BWX TE, Razer Greens+RGB, All Stock (girlfriend's)
MagicForce 68, Cherry Reds, TaiHao Dasher
Corsair K70, Cherry Reds+RGB, Stock Caps

Ask me about Soldering/Assembly/Other services in NC!

Offline tekteq

« Reply #15751 on: Wed, 08 February 2017, 15:05:23 »
Does https://mechanicalkeyboards.com ship to Germany?
Had to do a small bit of digging, but I found this, from https://mechanicalkeyboards.com/customer_service.php?t=Do you ship Internationally?

Do you ship Internationally?

Yes, Mechanical Keyboards Inc currently ships to all countries to which USPS and FedEx service. Please note that our shipping estimator may not work for your International Order, so you will want to proceed to checkout step 2 to see your shipping quote.

Thanks a lot mate! I don't know why I didn't see it, was under the impression that there was a lot less information on their website when I tried to find.

Offline unoab

« Reply #15752 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 01:37:47 »
I recently got a Qisan MagicForce 68 as a daily driver for work, but first I replaced all the switches with Cherry Reds. I noticed while doing this that the entire board has LED holes, despite the Caps Lock key being the only switch with an LED by default.

I've heard you can get this keyboard with LEDs, so I assume that's why the holes are there.

My question is: Soldering in a switch LED does nothing at all, except for the caps lock key which already has one, and is only lit when CL is on. Does anyone know of a way to turn on the LED lighting functionality?

I can provide high-res photos of the board on request.

Check the PCB, most likely they didn't populate the resistors for any of the LEDs, no point adding cost if it is not needed on that built up model even if it is the same PCB.  If that is the case you would have to source the proper size and value resistors, solder them on, and hope there are no other parts of the LED backlighting that are unpopulated.

just look here:
Leslieann's how to thread for adding backlights

Offline Boskr

« Reply #15753 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 10:42:00 »
I recently got a Qisan MagicForce 68 as a daily driver for work, but first I replaced all the switches with Cherry Reds. I noticed while doing this that the entire board has LED holes, despite the Caps Lock key being the only switch with an LED by default.

I've heard you can get this keyboard with LEDs, so I assume that's why the holes are there.

My question is: Soldering in a switch LED does nothing at all, except for the caps lock key which already has one, and is only lit when CL is on. Does anyone know of a way to turn on the LED lighting functionality?

I can provide high-res photos of the board on request.

Check the PCB, most likely they didn't populate the resistors for any of the LEDs, no point adding cost if it is not needed on that built up model even if it is the same PCB.  If that is the case you would have to source the proper size and value resistors, solder them on, and hope there are no other parts of the LED backlighting that are unpopulated.

just look here:
Leslieann's how to thread for adding backlights
Cheers mate, I'll check to see if I can get photos of the PCB on the LED version.

EDIT: You are correct, it needs resistors for every switch, plus a small jumper lead off the 5v from the USB. Little too much work for me since I'm planning on a nicer 60% build anyway.

Sent from my Google Pixel through space technology

« Last Edit: Thu, 09 February 2017, 16:11:20 by Boskr »
Levinson split 40%, Gat Greens, DSA Blank
GH60, Cherry Browns, OEM Granite
Razer BWX TE, Gat Blacks+RGB, DSA Blank, No Logo (522 Solder Joints!!!)
Razer BWX TE, Razer Greens+RGB, All Stock (girlfriend's)
MagicForce 68, Cherry Reds, TaiHao Dasher
Corsair K70, Cherry Reds+RGB, Stock Caps

Ask me about Soldering/Assembly/Other services in NC!

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #15754 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 13:56:28 »
 I have noticed that on a lot of some custom boards the enter key tends to get soldered in crooked. IS there a specific reason behind this? IS it as simple as warming up the solder, aligning, and then resoldering?

Offline tekteq

« Reply #15755 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 15:38:52 »
I'm still very new to this, so sorry if this question is stupid, I still didn't really understand it after reading a few threads: I've read that you can change switches on pcb mounted boards without desoldering and resoldering. Is this the case for all pcb-mounted boards or is it only for a few models?

Offline catawalks

« Reply #15756 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 16:23:10 »
I'm still very new to this, so sorry if this question is stupid, I still didn't really understand it after reading a few threads: I've read that you can change switches on pcb mounted boards without de-soldering and re-soldering. Is this the case for all pcb-mounted boards or is it only for a few models?

Only a few models. Models labeled as "hot swap" designs have the ability to change switches without soldering. Models that are just PCB mount have the switches soldered and usually have a hole in the PCB where part of the switch sticks though to help hold it in place. Plate mount switches have tabs that hold the switch to a metal plate that stays above the PCB and the the switches are soldered to the PCB below.

Also, not all plate mount switches are created equal, some require that you de-solder all the switches before you can remove a single switch.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #15757 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 16:39:54 »
I have noticed that on a lot of some custom boards the enter key tends to get soldered in crooked. IS there a specific reason behind this? IS it as simple as warming up the solder, aligning, and then resoldering?

I think that question depends on what custom board and the plate layout. It's certainly possible that the switch just needs to be reseated. I can imagine some ISO/ANSI compatible plates might have wacky cutouts that could cause things to not be held in place super well.

I'm still very new to this, so sorry if this question is stupid, I still didn't really understand it after reading a few threads: I've read that you can change switches on pcb mounted boards without de-soldering and re-soldering. Is this the case for all pcb-mounted boards or is it only for a few models?

Only a few models. Models labeled as "hot swap" designs have the ability to change switches without soldering. Models that are just PCB mount have the switches soldered and usually have a hole in the PCB where part of the switch sticks though to help hold it in place. Plate mount switches have tabs that hold the switch to a metal plate that stays above the PCB and the the switches are soldered to the PCB below.

Also, not all plate mount switches are created equal, some require that you de-solder all the switches before you can remove a single switch.

All PCB mount switches can be *opened* without desoldering, which effectively means you can change the switch type (swap stems and springs), though changing between manufacturers will probably be more problematic.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15758 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 16:46:59 »
Depends on the keyboard I guess. PCB mounted switches can be opened from the top with a switch top removal tool. Technically you can't remove the PCB mounted switches without soldering but you can usually change out the internals (spring/slider/top). Some clone sliders won't play nice with certain housings but the usual suspects seem to play nice with each other.

Offline tekteq

« Reply #15759 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 20:38:07 »
Depends on the keyboard I guess. PCB mounted switches can be opened from the top with a switch top removal tool. Technically you can't remove the PCB mounted switches without soldering but you can usually change out the internals (spring/slider/top). Some clone sliders won't play nice with certain housings but the usual suspects seem to play nice with each other.

Thanks a lot. For now I don't plan on using anything different than Cherry MX, so this shouldn't be a problem.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15760 on: Thu, 09 February 2017, 22:50:19 »
I'm still very new to this, so sorry if this question is stupid, I still didn't really understand it after reading a few threads: I've read that you can change switches on pcb mounted boards without desoldering and resoldering. Is this the case for all pcb-mounted boards or is it only for a few models?

PCB soldered switches allow you to change the stem and the springs by opening the top cover, but if you want to change the full switch it should be desoldered. You can get a PCB and use dip sockets to allow changing the switch with no desoldering needed. Also, some plates haave slots in the proper positions around the switch window to allow switch tops removal.

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #15761 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 21:24:12 »
Cheapest PS2 cable donor without breaking one of my (fully working) boards?

Was thinking a ps2 extension cable with one end cut off...?

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15762 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 21:26:35 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:08:41 by alienman82 »

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #15763 on: Sun, 12 February 2017, 23:02:06 »
Cheapest PS2 cable donor without breaking one of my (fully working) boards?

Was thinking a ps2 extension cable with one end cut off...?

lol I just through out like 3 or 4 coiled AT cables in great shape RIP

hehe oops

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #15764 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 04:43:10 »
Best way to have a plate cut so they snap in real good? Laser, water, psychic blast?

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #15765 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 07:40:36 »
Are there any advantages to soldering over using Holtite (hotswap) sockets ?

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #15766 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 21:41:17 »

Price

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #15767 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 22:17:12 »

Price

Using a plate with slots for top switch removal is a far better option than having sockets. It makes an more reliable switch installation while it still allows flexibility to change the switch internals to try different spring, stems, tops combinations. Even PCB soldered switches are better than sockets, unless what you want to have is a big full size switch tester.
« Last Edit: Wed, 15 February 2017, 22:27:00 by ideus »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #15768 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 22:20:30 »
I'm still thinking theres going to be a durability issue in the long run for people like me that want to change switches often. We'll see though.
-Dana

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #15769 on: Wed, 15 February 2017, 23:04:25 »
I'm still thinking theres going to be a durability issue in the long run for people like me that want to change switches often. We'll see though.
Just do what we all do

Buy more keyboards lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15770 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 08:00:18 »
Just do what we all do

Buy more keyboards lol

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk
I see no problems with this.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #15771 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 08:28:14 »
Best way to have a plate cut so they snap in real good? Laser, water, psychic blast?

Higher precision machining will get you more accurate results. Laser is more precise than waterjet. However I just had a waterjet plate cut and the switches snap in just fine.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #15772 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 10:21:13 »

Higher precision machining will get you more accurate results. Laser is more precise than waterjet. However I just had a waterjet plate cut and the switches snap in just fine.

Thanks!

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #15773 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 10:56:47 »

Thanks!

Oh and if you're not aware thickness of the plate I think is quite important for proper "snapping". I think 1.5mm is the Cherry standard.

Offline tintoret

« Reply #15774 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 13:44:08 »
Am I going to run into any problems, presumably with differences in wire specs, in trying to convert an ADB cable into a USB cable? That is, removing the connectors from the ADB cable and soldering the four wires into the pins of USB-A and Mini-B connectors?

Offline robbles

« Reply #15775 on: Thu, 16 February 2017, 14:34:18 »
What kinds of macros are popular amongst Geekhack? I've had programmable boards in the past but never really knew what to do with them. I'm sure that I'm just thinking about it incorrectly.
How does one become so interested in a thing like keyboards? When you realize you use a keyboard more than any other tool in your life.

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15776 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 13:14:24 »
Well, spacefn... Passwords... The Hyper-key for shortcuts... What else... I'm thinking of making one that sends both the mac and the windows play/pause signals...

Offline Koatl

• Kozahtli on reddit, etc.
« Reply #15777 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 14:27:20 »
Anyone know if Atreus62's with pointing stick are purchasable?

Or maybe I should ask in the Ergonomics forum?
☷☴☲☱☶☵☳☰

Offline ezekial

« Reply #15778 on: Fri, 17 February 2017, 22:12:58 »
Hello,
I've been pondering a project. My previous keyboard crapped out and it was a dome mesh combo from the 90s (gateway 2000 keyboard). I recently thought of converting the innards to a mechanical keyboard, knowing that I need a pcb, and there are integrated pcbs out there I know, such as the NerD 108 PCB. How would you recommend going about retrofitting this to work? Are most keyboards a standard size to where I can use the NerD pcb? I understand I would need to get a plate for the switches because it's more stable, are there standard plates out there, or should I custom CNC them?
http://seelowprices.com/2014/10/08/28528372/1b.jpg

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #15779 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 00:30:08 »
What kind of springs would I buy to increase the key weight on my buckling spring board? I don't have calipers or I would measure my own springs. Luckily replacing the springs on these switches is as easy as possible, so I'm willing to do it...

I'm looking to make them around 1.5-2x as stiff.
« Last Edit: Sat, 18 February 2017, 00:49:10 by happylacquer »

Offline Rekoba

« Reply #15780 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 02:28:21 »
Hello , i have a "problem" with my Logitech G19 since i got it very cheap as you can guess its used keyboard but everything works. So only how should i say it , problem is that the keys are woobly and somehow loose ,they move too much,  you can see that they are very very used. So i am wondering is there any chance to fix or repair it, is it maybe something with the rubber beneath them? I would really appreciative any help.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15781 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 08:08:11 »
What kind of springs would I buy to increase the key weight on my buckling spring board? I don't have calipers or I would measure my own springs. Luckily replacing the springs on these switches is as easy as possible, so I'm willing to do it...

I don't think what you want exists.

Not saying it is impossible but I don't think anyone has ever had any made.

You might check in the huge model f group buy thread.

Offline Joey Quinn

• "..."
« Reply #15782 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 17:22:19 »
Hello , i have a "problem" with my Logitech G19 since i got it very cheap as you can guess its used keyboard but everything works. So only how should i say it , problem is that the keys are woobly and somehow loose ,they move too much,  you can see that they are very very used. So i am wondering is there any chance to fix or repair it, is it maybe something with the rubber beneath them? I would really appreciative any help.

The rubber domes wouldn't cause the keys to be loose, it'd be an issue with the sliders above them. I don't know much about G19s (or anything really) but they may just be like that stock.

Best solution to the problem would be buying a cheap mech instead of a trashed old rubberdome board.
People in the 1980s, in general, were clearly just better than we are now in every measurable way.

The dumber the reason the more it must be done

Offline happylacquer

• BS Apologist
    • BHOBuds
« Reply #15783 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 17:24:36 »

I don't think what you want exists.

Not saying it is impossible but I don't think anyone has ever had any made.

You might check in the huge model f group buy thread.

TYVM, will check there, but yeah I don't have my hopes up.

I googled it and found a few threads scattered around the internet with people asking my question. unfortunately, they were either looking for lighter springs, or the ones who wanted heavier ones like me just had people being like "wtf why?"

Offline Radlife

« Reply #15784 on: Sat, 18 February 2017, 21:09:23 »
I have a question about the TX87 (I built mine just a moment ago). Are there any tutorials on how to use Leeku's Jigon software? I'm looking to turn off the RGB lighting.

Offline Rekoba

« Reply #15785 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 02:59:33 »

The rubber domes wouldn't cause the keys to be loose, it'd be an issue with the sliders above them. I don't know much about G19s (or anything really) but they may just be like that stock.

Best solution to the problem would be buying a cheap mech instead of a trashed old rubberdome board.
Ok, but what do you think would it help if i open it up and try maybe to straiten the rubber or do something like that. When i got it i pop up every key to clean them , but i have not noticed something unusual but they still are very loose and woobly.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #15786 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 03:44:57 »
Can Donald Trump really be that clueless, or do you think this is all just a set-up for a new reality TV show?
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #15787 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 05:27:39 »
*Googles how to use a fire extinguisher*

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15788 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 07:43:56 »
Can Donald Trump really be that clueless, or do you think this is all just a set-up for a new reality TV show?
No, he's winging it.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15789 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 08:41:36 »

I don't know how easy it is to replace springs unless you are doing a bolt mod anyway.

Here is something that I stumbled across but never went farther:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=84830.msg2267781#msg2267781
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #15790 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 18:27:21 »
I have a question about the TX87 (I built mine just a moment ago). Are there any tutorials on how to use Leeku's Jigon software? I'm looking to turn off the RGB lighting.

You can set them to black.

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #15791 on: Sun, 19 February 2017, 21:05:07 »
Am I going to run into any problems, presumably with differences in wire specs, in trying to convert an ADB cable into a USB cable? That is, removing the connectors from the ADB cable and soldering the four wires into the pins of USB-A and Mini-B connectors?

Shouldn't really be a problem. As long as you hook the proper wires up you can use any wires assuming they don't have some kind of crazy resistance.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #15792 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 08:28:15 »

Simple Questions. There is no simple answer lol
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15793 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 08:58:32 »

Well, he is clueless about what government is, how it operates, and the rule of law. And isn't "reality TV show" an oxymoron?

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/narcissistic-personality-disorder/basics/symptoms/con-20025568
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15794 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 09:07:38 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:07:01 by alienman82 »

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #15795 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 15:57:57 »
Anyone have any tricks or tips when it comes to trimming the legs on a keyboards worth of LEDs to use in sip sockets?

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #15796 on: Mon, 20 February 2017, 16:00:03 »
Anyone have any tricks or tips when it comes to trimming the legs on a keyboards worth of LEDs to use in sip sockets?

Courtesy of Photo_E: https://www.flickr.com/photos/photoelectric_effect/13136031895/in/album-72157642317342363/

Offline cutterline

« Reply #15797 on: Wed, 22 February 2017, 22:12:17 »
Does anyone know taobao seller link for mx silent red?

I tried searching with keyword 'cherry 静音" but couldn't find any seller.

Offline wimpeh

« Reply #15798 on: Sat, 25 February 2017, 13:52:30 »
I bought this 75% plate from taobao, hoping to be able to make a handwired keyboard out of it. Now I'm stuck on what stabilizers to use for it. Plate mounted won't work. Any ideas?

Offline tofgerl

« Reply #15799 on: Sun, 26 February 2017, 06:11:55 »
Is it possible to buy those GMK trays with the plastic fasteners? What do they cost?