Author Topic: [IC] KAT Space Cadet - Opening April 1st, new Yellow Accents  (Read 66746 times)

Offline geewiz

Re: [IC] KAT Space Cadet - huge kit update, NA vendor announced (23 Nov 2019)
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 16:16:08 »
Assuming that OC refers to off centre stem, it's worth noting that KAT Alpha's 6u space was off centre stem. I'm unsure if they have a centre stem 6u mould.

Yes, I meant off-centre. The 6u space bars in the kit are labeled "6.00c", so it looks to me that "6.00oc" variants are missing.

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #101 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 17:26:44 »
the c probably stands for concave.

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #102 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 17:40:05 »
The “c” isn’t centered?

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #103 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 17:41:43 »

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #104 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 17:56:37 »
French ISO is in, so am I !
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #105 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 19:01:07 »

Same thing here  :thumb: .
Might have to speak about some of the legends alignment later though.

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #106 on: Sun, 24 November 2019, 19:02:53 »

Same thing here  :thumb: .
Might have to speak about some of the legends alignment later though.

all of the legends have to be generated for keyreative to do - so do not fear, alignment issues will be resolved!

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #107 on: Mon, 25 November 2019, 01:00:07 »
music to my ears

(time for a signature pict then?)
« Last Edit: Mon, 25 November 2019, 01:06:38 by Senor Coconut »

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 19:39:23 »
Updated KIT graphics! Huge thanks to OneCreativeMind for the amazing legend work and fu11.meta1 for use of the 40s Discord logo!   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

In the queue for renders soon...and maybe some more fun things on the horizon!!! :-X :-X :-X

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #109 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 20:19:36 »
Updated KIT graphics! Huge thanks to OneCreativeMind for the amazing legend work and fu11.meta1 for use of the 40s Discord logo!   :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

In the queue for renders soon...and maybe some more fun things on the horizon!!! :-X :-X :-X

Gonna take me a while to go through all the new kits, but WILL check to weed out any possible errors. :thumb:

Offline equalunique

Re: [IC] KAT Space Cadet - Legends Complete!(26 Nov 2019)
« Reply #110 on: Tue, 26 November 2019, 23:07:30 »
Oh my goodness the new graphics show some amazing kits.

Gotta cop those novelties, ortho, ergo, dvorak, and mono kits.

Sent from my Ono-Sendai Cyberspace 7 using Tapatalk

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 02:32:13 »

Not keen on the red size legends, but other than that, the new kit images are excellent.

Love the Hyper7 kit ;)

Offline Fredington

• Instagram
« Reply #112 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 06:52:34 »
Will the black text kit be regular dye subbed? If so I can foresee problems matching the cap color to the other reverse dye subbed blue, since the blue is being executed differently.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 06:58:34 »
Will the black text kit be regular dye subbed? If so I can foresee problems matching the cap color to the other reverse dye subbed blue, since the blue is being executed differently.

see: DSA Groove

Offline stoffelduss

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 07:16:56 »
Interested! A full Colemak alpha kit is something special :D
However, some small feedback to the Colemak kit: As it stands right now, if you use Colemak DH, you have the same sublegends on the neighbouring keys D and V as well as M and H. Can you therefore also include a V with the three horizontal lines sublegend and an M with the <= sublegend?

A asdf row closing bracket key _might_ also be appreciated by some Colemak users. Info: https://colemakmods.github.io/ergonomic-mods/wide.html

I used Colemak DH in the past but I use the Workman layout at the moment. Just wanted to mention that I would buy a Workman kit if you made one, but I also understand if it's too niche. The monolegends don't cut it for me, unfortunately.

Done! Will be a while before the post is updated but your suggestions are in there :)
Whoops I missed something! Sorry!! The closing bracket key in the asdf row isn't the only thing needed for the wide mod, an apostrophe key in the qwer row (' and ") is also needed. Sorry, I missed that because it's part of dvorak anyway and therefore usually included with colemak but not in this case. The closing bracket key is fairly useless on its own unfortunately so I'd recommend you should either add the extra apostrophe key for wide mod support (:D) or remove the closing bracket key (D:).

Offline psxndc

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 12:23:27 »
You added a full Colemak alpha kit layout, with DH and DHm support? AND you added a non-latin legends kit? Marry me.

I am going to spend sooooo much money on this.

Done! Will be a while before the post is updated but your suggestions are in there :)
Whoops I missed something! Sorry!! The closing bracket key in the asdf row isn't the only thing needed for the wide mod, an apostrophe key in the qwer row (' and ") is also needed. Sorry, I missed that because it's part of dvorak anyway and therefore usually included with colemak but not in this case. The closing bracket key is fairly useless on its own unfortunately so I'd recommend you should either add the extra apostrophe key for wide mod support (:D) or remove the closing bracket key (D:).

For me personally, I'd love the R3 apostrophe in the Colemak kit (no longer a programmer and I use quotes way more than semicolons), but I'm already getting so much with this set I am fine not having it.

I'm simply flabbergasted at the support you're giving the community with these sets.

« Last Edit: Wed, 27 November 2019, 12:29:37 by psxndc »
Ortho. Always.

Offline geewiz

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 15:16:21 »
Are the 6u spacebars in the new spacebars kit centered or off-centered?

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 27 November 2019, 16:52:52 »
LAWD have mercy, a full alpha kit for colemak?! God Dayum....

Offline harlekein

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 03:37:26 »
LAWD have mercy, a full alpha kit for colemak?! God Dayum....
It's a brand new day and the future is bright.

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #119 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 09:46:21 »
Mkultra is the vendor? Ehhh I’m out. That Guy has major ego problems for someone who cuts 10 cent foam with a laser.

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 12:30:29 »
Mkultra is the vendor? Ehhh I’m out. That Guy has major ego problems for someone who cuts 10 cent foam with a laser.

Whoa incoming hot take. Anything specific or just personal bad interactions

Offline BalticSubmarine

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 14:17:21 »

I know he had some beef with Mito over some extra keys he made to go along with SA Godspeed. Other than that I'm not aware of anything.

Offline MKUltraCorp

• MKUltra Corporation
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 18:13:51 »

I know he had some beef with Mito over some extra keys he made to go along with SA Godspeed. Other than that I'm not aware of anything.

That thing with Mito is ancient history and he even decided to include that R4 1.75u TRANSMIT key in his future run of SA Godspeed's base mods, so at least it ended up with a positive ending.

The thing with MdotMaxson however, is much deeper and involves a history of vitriol from him to the point that I have banned him from future purchases at the store - he is the one and only person that has ever even been considered for this. I've had to file a PayPal buyer abuse claim due to repeated harassment through that system and had to deal with some quite disturbing attempted reviews on my site from him, a screenshot attached. Those reviews were placed minutes before a second PayPal claim was filed by him and you'll notice his choice of words here seem to match the ones in the reviews. Both reviews were placed within 3 minutes of each other.

Hate to have to call him out for this here in this thread but I will not tolerate his hate and attempts to discredit me any further.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 18:53:04 »

Gonna take me a while to go through all the new kits, but WILL check to weed out any possible errors. :thumb:

Okay, I went over each kit, and these are the problems I have noticed:

Colemak:
R3 has F∩ (intersection) and P∪ (union) - should be F∪ and P∩ instead (note the Dvorak set has its R3 P key right).
R2 O∂: the differential symbol should remain on R3, in the ;: key.

Dvorak: many symbols have been shifted right, no doubt due to the presence of typographical symbols on the leftmost keycaps (;: , etc.). I don't know if this is a mistake or is intentional, to avoid having symbols on non-letter keys.

UK ISO: it's clearly UK+US. I'm not complaining about the content, but I would consider renaming it "English ISO". Okay, add R1 <> for the coolness of the terminal style.  :D

French ISO:
R4 ² : the superscript symbol is so far up, it looks like it's in the Shift layer. Should be moved down to reflect it's in the base layer.
R4 É7 should be È7 (grave accent, not acute accent - the acute accent is on É2).
R3 should be a plain M (or not, given it'd be the only letter without a math symbol on top).

South ISO:
R4 and R2 ºª : those two should be in lowercase - remember those are superscript lowercase letters (see U+00ba and U+00aa).
R4 \| : the mod-colored key is present but the alpha colored key is missing.
R4 2" : that 2 is noticeably larger than the other numbers in the same row.

:thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline alas

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 28 November 2019, 21:15:34 »

Colemak:
R3 has F∩ (intersection) and P∪ (union) - should be F∪ and P∩ instead (note the Dvorak set has its R3 P key right).

Dvorak: many symbols have been shifted right, no doubt due to the presence of typographical symbols on the leftmost keycaps (;: , etc.). I don't know if this is a mistake or is intentional, to avoid having symbols on non-letter keys.

UK ISO: it's clearly UK+US. I'm not complaining about the content, but I would consider renaming it "English ISO". Okay, add R1 <> for the coolness of the terminal style.  :D

French ISO:
R4 ² : the superscript symbol is so far up, it looks like it's in the Shift layer. Should be moved down to reflect it's in the base layer.
R4 É7 should be È7 (grave accent, not acute accent - the acute accent is on É2).
R3 should be a plain M (or not, given it'd be the only letter without a math symbol on top).

South ISO:
R4 and R2 ºª : those two should be in lowercase - remember those are superscript lowercase letters (see U+00ba and U+00aa).

We intentionally did not put Lisp/Cadet sublegends on non-letter keys. All of the positioning issues are being worked on. The incorrect ISO legends are being corrected. Looks like it was all a rendering/typography error, and the KLEs are correct. Thanks for noticing :)

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #125 on: Fri, 29 November 2019, 22:41:39 »

Colemak:

French ISO:

South ISO:

I know I am really late to the party, but please consider using the Dvorak and Colemak symbol locations as Oblotzky's GMK Space Cadet set did.  As far as I know that was the first Space Cadet set with alternative alpha layout support. 

Offline datarama

« Reply #126 on: Sun, 01 December 2019, 10:26:08 »
Another suggestion (unless it's too late):

R2 keys for unshifted parens, eg. with () on bottom and [] on top. This is another feature actual Lisp Machine keyboards (including the Space Cadet and the later Symbolics boards) had, because... well, you *would* want unshifted parens on a machine for Lisp programming.

(for my daily driver I've implemented that in the firmware. 7bit's SA r6 keycaps actually had a pair of caps for it too.)

Offline harlekein

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 03:29:30 »
A few notes on the ortho kit:

Very annoying that KAT reversed row numbers, but here we go:

R3 CTRL: I never seen this in an ortho kit and I'm not sure if it would be used by anyone. Seems like this should be in traditional R3 (R2 KAT)
R2 BACKSPACE: This would be more suitable in the Colemak kit. It usually isn't included in ortho
R1 ENTER: The white legend is duplicate

Offline psxndc

« Reply #128 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 11:49:04 »

R2 BACKSPACE: This would be more suitable in the Colemak kit. It usually isn't included in ortho

Colemak user here. I support this. Almost all my keebs are Ortho so I'm getting that the Ortho kit regardless, but was I disappointed to not see a 1u bksp in the Colemak kit (and didn't notice it was in the Ortho kit).
Ortho. Always.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #129 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 13:20:41 »

Colemak user here. I support this. Almost all my keebs are Ortho so I'm getting that the Ortho kit regardless, but was I disappointed to not see a 1u bksp in the Colemak kit (and didn't notice it was in the Ortho kit).
Are there any colemak users that would need the 1u backspace without the rest of the ortho kit?

Offline psxndc

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 13:37:25 »
Are there any colemak users that would need the 1u backspace without the rest of the ortho kit?

I'm trying to think of a keyboard layout other than ortho that has a 1u capslock key (that's what bksp replaces) and honestly can't think of one. But including it in ortho rather than Colemak - if people care about such things - forces a bunch of ortho users to pay for a key that only benefits Colemak users.

Again, I'm getting Colemak and Ortho, so it doesn't matter to me, but I can see non-Colemak ortho users not wanting it. There are people out there that even one extra key in their set is anathema to them. Conversely, I guess it forces Colemak users to pay for an ortho-only key, but usually Colemak users are happy to get any support at all and would be less likely to complain about paying for an extra key. ;D
Ortho. Always.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #131 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 07:47:17 »
Just YES that is all.  Someone please make a full size if not over sized KEEB just for this set to sit on.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #132 on: Thu, 05 December 2019, 16:53:02 »
Hi, I've taken the liberty to make the right corrections to the french kit legends (mainly R4).As a graphic designer and future user of the set, it's important to me to have the right legends, properly composed.I also noticed that some letters are not exactly on the same baseline, there're some inconsistencies, but I guess it's not the very final document.Hope it'll help.Thanks

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #133 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 17:47:14 »
Hi, I've taken the liberty to make the right corrections to the french kit legends (mainly R4).As a graphic designer and future user of the set, it's important to me to have the right legends, properly composed.I also noticed that some letters are not exactly on the same baseline, there're some inconsistencies, but I guess it's not the very final document.Hope it'll help.Thanks

I updated the OP with the changes, I think we already had them, just didn't have the post updated! Thanks for the eagle eyes!

Offline geewiz

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 18:08:43 »
I updated the OP with the changes, I think we already had them, just didn't have the post updated! Thanks for the eagle eyes!

This is looking better and better every time!

Can you please clarify if the 6u space bars are centred or off-centred?

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #135 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 18:12:01 »

Thanks for the accent correction. I guess the alignment of legends will be done later, then.

Offline catbus

« Reply #136 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 01:27:03 »
Any chance of getting the two keys below added to the Hyper7 kit?
As replacements for the regular '['/'{' keys in R3   

Offline Adelscott

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 05:29:09 »

Thanks for the accent correction. I guess the alignment of legends will be done later, then.

I second this, we're not in D&D, good alignement is the only one !  ;D
Please think about ISO users, add a split left shift to your "alice style" keyboards

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #138 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 05:31:38 »

I second this, we're not in D&D, good alignement is the only one !  ;D
:blank: :thumb: :blank: :thumb: :blank: :thumb: :blank:

Offline Aznakh

« Reply #139 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 08:22:44 »
I'll be keeping my eyes on this, basically the set I've been wanting for quite some time now, and with enough kits to suit all my needs! Wonderful!

Offline AJM

« Reply #140 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 13:06:03 »
I would be interested in such a set as well.  :thumb:
But there is one little mistake, I think. This is not exclusive to these renders, but I've seen it on too many other - already finished - key sets.
It's about the "=0"-key of the Norde/North kit:
It seems the legends are vertically centered by default, which is usually fine, but in the case of the "=0"-key the upper character "=" doesn't have the full height, which has the effect, that the "0" gets pulled up, when the vertical centering takes place.
It would be great, if you could set a good example, by positioning these legends correctly, which means: the "0" should be on the same level as the other digits of the neighbouring keys.

231408-0

Offline Senor Coconut

• FR (ISO or not)
« Reply #141 on: Sun, 08 December 2019, 13:22:37 »
Yes, there are plenty of those mistakes.
This is why I took the liberty to do an exhaustive correction of the FR kit, earlier.
Some precise corrections on the legends composition is a must for this set which is very good but not perfect.

Offline dmatx1

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 04:58:33 »
Are 2u keys in the top area of the Hyper7 set POS-like keycaps (two stems for two switches) or are they "ordinary" 2u keycaps (one stem for the switch and two stems for the stabilizer)?

Both R1 and R2 of Hyper7 used two switches for those keys instead of one switch with stabilizer.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 05:45:04 »

I'm trying to think of a keyboard layout other than ortho that has a 1u capslock key (that's what bksp replaces) and honestly can't think of one. But including it in ortho rather than Colemak - if people care about such things - forces a bunch of ortho users to pay for a key that only benefits Colemak users.

Again, I'm getting Colemak and Ortho, so it doesn't matter to me, but I can see non-Colemak ortho users not wanting it. There are people out there that even one extra key in their set is anathema to them. Conversely, I guess it forces Colemak users to pay for an ortho-only key, but usually Colemak users are happy to get any support at all and would be less likely to complain about paying for an extra key. ;D

The reason it looks wrong to me, is because you could do two things:

1) The more common option is to put the R2 BACKSPACE into the Colemak kit. This means the R2 BACK should move from ortho kit to Colemak kit.
2) Put all R2 BACKSPACE keys in their corresponding mod kits. This adds an additional key for a lot of people who don't use it.

For me it doesn't matter. I don't use the key. (On 40% ortho the backspace key is already moved to a closer position than where it normally resides and I prefer TAB on the traditional CAPS LOCK position). But  since I am getting both ortho and Colemak I will also be getting this key either way.

I would recommend moving the key to the Colemak kit. First of all, having a standalone Colemak kit is already an unbeatable offering. I don't think adding this key deters from that. Second, this means other ortho users won't sit with that key they won't use either.

Offline Koniotaur

« Reply #144 on: Fri, 13 December 2019, 09:54:58 »
Are you considering only latin alpha too?

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #145 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 10:35:04 »
Hey all! A little update, we're having trouble acquiring access to the OG board we thought we could use to color match so, to move things forward, I'm offering you this poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/19103489

Does the OG color match matter to you or not?  Please vote!

We have some renders just waiting for color codes right now.... ;)

Offline KingOfMemes

« Reply #146 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 11:00:42 »
Hey all! A little update, we're having trouble acquiring access to the OG board we thought we could use to color match so, to move things forward, I'm offering you this poll:

https://www.strawpoll.me/19103489

Does the OG color match matter to you or not?  Please vote!

We have some renders just waiting for color codes right now.... ;)
Voted SP. You had me at a full colemak alpha kit. My thirsty, desperate ass is happy with that.

Offline ykill

• qed - Production Coordinator for deafmute
    • Deafmute Linktree
Re: [IC] KAT Space Cadet - Color matching poll open (18 Dec 2019)
« Reply #147 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 12:04:07 »
I'm interested in alphas without the Latin. Just sublegends.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

qed on the gram @quality_enforcement_dojo
qed in 40% Discord

Offline ykill

• qed - Production Coordinator for deafmute
    • Deafmute Linktree
« Reply #148 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 12:36:40 »
P.s. KAT is the new GMK

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

qed on the gram @quality_enforcement_dojo
qed in 40% Discord

Offline tominabox1

« Reply #149 on: Wed, 18 December 2019, 23:19:30 »
All right folks, thanks for the feedback on the color matching!  Given where we are, and the results clearly favored moving forward with SP color chips, that is what we're going to do. 

With this decision, we'll be able to get some renders soon! So excited  :cool: :cool: