Author Topic: Matias 60% Keyboard Group Buy  (Read 175338 times)

Offline varmemester

Re: Matias 60% Keyboard Group Buy
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 08:21:15 »
Regarding pricedifference I got this email from keyboardco:
Hi Malthe

If you import from Matias you will need to pay local tax on arrival in Denmark. (25%)

Ordering from the UK (EU) you have already paid 20% UK VAT, so will not have to pay anything else.

So it should work out about the same price, but you save on any trouble and fees when it arrives in Denmark.

Regards

Martin

Offline Matias

• http://matias.ca
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 10:12:04 »
Regarding price difference I got this email from keyboardco:

Hi Malthe

If you import from Matias you will need to pay local tax on arrival in Denmark. (25%)

Ordering from the UK (EU) you have already paid 20% UK VAT, so will not have to pay anything else.

So it should work out about the same price, but you save on any trouble and fees when it arrives in Denmark.

Regards

Martin

This is a very good point.

I don't know how it is in Europe, but in Canada you also often will have to pay a duty processing fee in imported items (typically $25 to $50) which is usually more than the actual duty charged.

Offline daaawooo

« Reply #102 on: Fri, 12 May 2017, 19:05:39 »
I'm from Germany and I also bought stuff from keyboardco.
Sometimes keyboardco is cheaper than MD - most times not, but often MD does not have a ISO or DE layout option.

Some info about importing stuff to the "broader" EU market a.k.a. EEA (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Economic_Area)

1) in general the buyer needs to pay VAT (17% - 27% depending on buyers country https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Union_value_added_tax)
2) depending on product category/type of product a customs duty must be paid (for computer and computer parts it's 0%)
3) some countries charge a duty processing fee (luckily for me no such fee in Germany, not really because customs clerks are paid from our "other" taxes)
4a) in some countries if the shipment includes a correct customs declaration the shipping company does the customs/duty processing for free (like in Germany w/ DHL)
4b) in other countries or if no such correct customs declaration, buyer needs to go to the customs office (-> travel fees and time)
4c) buyer can outsource the process of 4b) to someone else (in Germany: DHL does the job for 28-29 EUR, interesting if your earn more money per hour than you spend on the trip to the customs office) and shipment will arrive at your doorstep

5) there may be exceptions for low value items for all or some points from above.
6) there may be exceptions of (1) for some product categories -> a lower VAT applies (e.g. food, books)
7) depending on type of product (e.g. coffee, oil, alc) other taxes may apply

If you are lucky a high value shipment slipped through customs and you don't need to pay anything, but do not count on that. If the sender states a lower value on customs declarations, so that you can avoid customs, that could be resulting in paying more than normal.

So depending on your location, buying from a EU/EAA based dealer may be cheaper than importing from US.

But the biggest problem is: the price tag difference between US and EU.

- default no VAT included in the US
- but in EU VAT is included (for private citizens)

but after 20+ years importing stuff I'm used to that.

Perixx PX-5200 BR, KBP-V60-MTS-Q, SS 6G V2

Offline dante

« Reply #103 on: Sat, 13 May 2017, 09:55:49 »
Matias, out of curiosity have you considered doing a limited run - maybe even for the GB - of Linear switches with a stiffer spring from the other switches and no dampening material or included tactile leaf?

Offline varmemester

« Reply #104 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 04:34:00 »
But the biggest problem is: the price tag difference between US and EU.

- default no VAT included in the US
- but in EU VAT is included (for private citizens)

Thank you for the information regarding VAT. Very informative. I thought the US charged VAT on imported items (for private citizens). Very interesting and probably something I should have known.

Offline daaawooo

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 14 May 2017, 16:59:46 »
I thought the US charged VAT on imported items (for private citizens). Very interesting and probably something I should have known.

maybe somebody can jump in to clear that up for us non-US geekhackers ... as far as I know VAT in the US depends on state of seller and/or buyer.
import fees, duty, etc. are already paid by seller (e.g. MD), so a buyer from the US, who buys from as US based seller, doesn't have all this additional cost like us non-US buyers.

even rather strange is shipping things twice around the world, paying customs twice, etc. is needed so that most GMK GBs happen.
but EU-customers are to low in numbers, so for many companies an EU-based fulfillment center / warehouse doesn't make economic sense.

Perixx PX-5200 BR, KBP-V60-MTS-Q, SS 6G V2

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #106 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 09:18:38 »
So any chance to get a hand on our orders in 2017?
In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Matias

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 22 May 2017, 15:14:55 »
So any chance to get a hand on our orders in 2017?

Pretty good chance.  I'm supposed to get the new balance bars early next month.  If my calculations were correct, they'll allow any ALPS keycap to work with Costar-style Cherry stabilizers.

This is a critical piece of the puzzle, because not all ALPS keycaps use the same stabilizers...  Traditional ALPS keycaps have different balance bar sizes for each key width (2u, 2.25u, 2.75u) while Cherry stabilizers use the same 2u balance bar for 2-2.75u.

The Ergo Pro also has 2.5u caps, which have their own balance bar size.

Signature Plastics uses Cherry stabilizers for all their ALPS keycaps, so they often won't fit most ALPS boards.

It's a bit of a mess, but I think I have it sorted out.

I thought the US charged VAT on imported items (for private citizens). Very interesting and probably something I should have known.

maybe somebody can jump in to clear that up for us non-US geekhackers ... as far as I know VAT in the US depends on state of seller and/or buyer.
import fees, duty, etc. are already paid by seller (e.g. MD), so a buyer from the US, who buys from as US based seller, doesn't have all this additional cost like us non-US buyers.

Keyboards shipped to the US are duty free items, and only pay State Tax (not VAT) and the % varies from state to state.

Matias, out of curiosity have you considered doing a limited run - maybe even for the GB - of Linear switches with a stiffer spring from the other switches and no dampening material or included tactile leaf?

This is actually fairly easy to do without a GB.  It's a simple matter of getting a set of Linear and a set of Click switches, opening them up, and swapping out the appropriate parts.

Offline Matias

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 08 June 2017, 19:55:23 »

I've received the balance bar samples I mentioned in my previous post, and the results are good!

In the photos...

• Backspace key is a Cherry keycap with Costar stabs + 2u balance bar for Cherry.

• Return key is a Signature Plastics ALPS keycap with Costar stabs + (new) 2u balance bar for ALPS.

• Funny symbols key is one of our 2.5u PBT caps with Costar stabs on an ALPS stab mount + (new) 2.5u balance bar for ALPS.

• Shift key is an OEM ALPS keycap with Cherry stabs on an ALPS stab mount + (new) 2.75u balance bar for ALPS.

It's a little complicated but everything works.  :-)

170318-0

170320-1

170322-2

170324-3

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #109 on: Fri, 09 June 2017, 18:01:45 »

I've received the balance bar samples I mentioned in my previous post, and the results are good!

In the photos...

Jeez, nice pics. I like the heavy bars. Not the paperclip size crap we see sometimes.

Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline Matias

« Reply #110 on: Sat, 10 June 2017, 19:39:17 »

In the photos...

Jeez, nice pics. I like the heavy bars. Not the paperclip size crap we see sometimes.

Thanks -- they're stainless steel.

The Cherry one is (non-stainless) steel, that I pulled off some random Cherry board at some point.

Bottom line...  with this approach, you can make a single PCB and mounting plate that works for both ALPS and Cherry, using the same stabilizers.  All you need is the right size balance bars (which we will provide) for the switch type you're using. 

Offline geniekid

« Reply #111 on: Thu, 19 October 2017, 07:27:57 »
Any status updates? ;D

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #112 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 19:32:18 »
Any status updates? ;D

Yeah cause last time hopes went up when we were told we had good chances to see our orders in 2017...  At the pace this thread is going, there is not much left of 2017.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline euphxenos

« Reply #113 on: Mon, 23 October 2017, 22:27:40 »
On the Matias website, it says, "Current estimate is that design and tooling will be finalized in Spring 2018, and production will occur in Fall 2018."

https://matias.store/products/60-keyboard

So at some point a few months ago, it slipped out a year.  I'm curious about what still needs to be done that'll take another year, since the only thing I think we've seen posted was about testing the balance bar and stabilizer spacing some more and selecting plastic colors for the keycaps (which doesn't sound like a year's worth of delay to me).  That was posted back in August over here:

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=60268.msg2474042#msg2474042

Offline Matias

« Reply #114 on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 03:15:22 »
Thanks for the questions.  I'm in China now and will be for another 4 weeks...

Yes, the balance bar stuff is sorted out.  The laserable PBT process is also sorted out.  We have the PBT material on order, and I'm hoping to have production started on black PBT keycap before I go back.  They're still working on colour matching the white PBT.

Once the white PBT is colour matched, we'll be doing Light Gray and Dark Gray (so 4 colour options to start).

We're also testing a few approaches for making the switches hot-swappable.  This makes it easy to change the switches without damaging the PCB -- for example, if you want to swap out Clicky switches for Quiet Click switches.  Of course, the option to solder will still remain.

I'll be posting more updates as things develop (during the 4 weeks I'm in China).

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #115 on: Wed, 25 October 2017, 20:17:03 »
So now we are pushing deep into 2018.

Sigh... unzip :-(
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline Luminair

« Reply #116 on: Sat, 04 November 2017, 21:10:10 »
Thanks for the questions.  I'm in China now and will be for another 4 weeks...

Yes, the balance bar stuff is sorted out.  The laserable PBT process is also sorted out.  We have the PBT material on order, and I'm hoping to have production started on black PBT keycap before I go back.  They're still working on colour matching the white PBT.

Once the white PBT is colour matched, we'll be doing Light Gray and Dark Gray (so 4 colour options to start).

We're also testing a few approaches for making the switches hot-swappable.  This makes it easy to change the switches without damaging the PCB -- for example, if you want to swap out Clicky switches for Quiet Click switches.  Of course, the option to solder will still remain.

I'll be posting more updates as things develop (during the 4 weeks I'm in China).

Great update! Good luck while you're there!

Offline Meyvn

« Reply #117 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 16:05:38 »
I think given the refusal to answer, we have to assume the case, PCB and plate are still in the beginning development stages at best. Given the pace so far even Fall 2018 is starting to sound suspect.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Matias

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 08 November 2017, 18:27:13 »
Time for another update.  Thanks to all those who have patiently waited...

We’ve now chosen a dye sub vendor that we’re satisfied can handle that aspect of this project, in the quantities needed.  We’ve been experimenting with some other methods of doing dye sub, that allow colours on black PBT, but I fear that may be a rabbit hole even deeper than lasering on black PBT, so we’ve suspended those efforts.

We’ll be using Laserable PBT for black keycaps and dye sub will be available for lighter shades.

We’ve also gotten samples done of a removable version of our switches.  They employ a coiled copper spring design.  See attached photo.  This will allow you to swap out the switches, without risk of destroying the PCB in the de-soldering process.

181836-0

I think given the refusal to answer, we have to assume the case, PCB and plate are still in the beginning development stages at best. Given the pace so far even Fall 2018 is starting to sound suspect.

We’ve done several plates already and have a 3D drawing of the case completed (though it may change).  We also did a preliminary PCB design, but it will likely change.

I’ve mentioned this before and it bears repeating... This is not a normal group buy.  It’s a skunk works project that we’re making available to the public.  New things that we’re developing will appear first in the 60% keyboard.  Some of those things I can update you on (and will continue to), but there are some other things that we’re not prepared to announce yet, so I can’t update you on those.

As mentioned previously, we are happy to offer refunds to anyone who is not able to wait.  Thanks again to all who are participating in this group buy.  Let me know if there are any other questions.

Offline dante

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 11 November 2017, 09:17:27 »

I'm sure the delay so far and into the near future is to make sure the retooled switches are going to stay working.  I imagine the challenge just isn't getting the factory to do a good job but to continue doing it.

Matias has bigger balls than I do.  If you can't get the factory to adhere to quality standards I can't imagine the nightmare of moving the existing tooling to another factory - even if it they would allow it.  I suspect this has kept Matias up at night on more than one occasion. :(

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #120 on: Mon, 13 November 2017, 08:37:27 »
I’ve mentioned this before and it bears repeating... This is not a normal group buy.

Maybe to others but not that often in this thread (if not none) especially at the early stages.
(I didn't reread the whole thread carefully, it's depressing)

Getting a refund after all this time will not make me feel better. I'm a faithful Matias customer, I still recommend your boards.
But this whole group buy thing is a deception. It was my first participation at such project and certainly going to be my last.

The lost is more on those who will come up next with some interesting ideas. I'll never commit again for a first batch. Maybe for a second, if the first one went as the people were told at the beginning.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 18 July 2018, 21:55:07 »
Are there very many of us left? If I recall I just wanted a couple of bare boards, so the keycap thing might not even affect me. Although I'm not sure where I might have saved the receipt, and have changed "primary" email address a few times too.

Hoping this thing actually finishes.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline Matias

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 07:21:23 »
Are there very many of us left? If I recall I just wanted a couple of bare boards, so the keycap thing might not even affect me. Although I'm not sure where I might have saved the receipt, and have changed "primary" email address a few times too.

Hoping this thing actually finishes.

It will.  I think you'll be very pleasantly surprised with the final result.

Should be done by the end of the year.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #123 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 20:24:03 »

What are the odds of typing on our orders in 2018?
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline Matias

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 00:01:15 »

What are the odds of typing on our orders in 2018?

Very good odds.

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #125 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 10:20:17 »
I asked a long time ago I think, but will you have PBT keys available for the Pro keyboards? And further, will you have PBT keys available for a "standard" 108-key board?
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline Matias

« Reply #126 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 10:56:58 »
I asked a long time ago I think, but will you have PBT keys available for the Pro keyboards? And further, will you have PBT keys available for a "standard" 108-key board?

Yes, the keysets will include all standard caps + the special ones used on the Ergo Pro and 60%.

For more details, see this post...

Offline BucklingSpring

Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline Blaise170

• * Esteemed Elder
  • ALPS キーボード
    • XYZ
« Reply #128 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 09:38:13 »
The one on Massdrop is a KBP keyboard and isn't made by matias. The layouts are completely different.
I proxy anything including keyboards (キーボード / 鍵盤), from both Japan (日本) and China (中國). For more information, you may visit my dedicated webpage here: https://www.keyboards.es/proxying.html

View my current and past keyboards here: https://deskthority.net/wiki/User:Blaise170

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 10 September 2018, 17:29:37 »

The one on Massdrop is a KBP keyboard and isn't made by matias. The layouts are completely different.

Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #130 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 20:54:24 »
Thread Started 4 years ago... « on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 09:08:48 »
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline 9x6

« Reply #131 on: Mon, 22 October 2018, 03:45:11 »
For what's it's worth, over in another topic:

Has there been any progress on this at all this year?  There were a couple of posts earlier this year stating that the black keycaps had gone into production.  Did any actually get produced?  I still don't see PBT keycap sets listed on your web site.  Aside from the keycaps, has there been any progress at all on the keyboard this year?

Yes, there's been quite a bit of progress on the keyboard and but few stalls on the keycaps...

The aluminum case and PCB are essentially done, after a few iterations during my last trip to China (a few months ago).  The keycap jig is also done.

Our injection vendor had some problems getting the PBT a consistent shade of black.  We had to coordinate with the material vendor to get it resolved.  I'm going again next month, to (hopefully) finalize things so keycap production can start.  I'm sorry this has gone on so long.  We developed a new process and basically hit every pothole on the road, before getting to the finished product.  I'm very happy with the final result, but wish it hadn't taken so long.

Let me know if you have any other questions...

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #132 on: Sat, 10 November 2018, 08:18:28 »
@Matias: "Let me know if you have any other questions..."

Here's a suggestion: How about a bonus free keyboard like a quiet pro on top of the 60% for all of us who sent you money for this 4 years ago?
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #133 on: Tue, 08 January 2019, 20:03:35 »
And there goes another year. Seriously hoping 2019 will be the one.
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline Matias

« Reply #134 on: Wed, 23 January 2019, 00:03:18 »
And there goes another year. Seriously hoping 2019 will be the one.

Me too!

Really excited about what we have brewing.  Looking forward to finally shipping it.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 13 March 2019, 12:03:36 »
Really excited about what we have brewing.  Looking forward to finally shipping it.

How about an update to let us know what we are waiting for?

Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline stbtrax

« Reply #136 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 22:05:35 »
is there an update of how many more years?

Offline aphoid

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 08 May 2019, 11:31:35 »
I emailed them a couple months ago to ask about status and whether the keys would be PBT or not, and their response on March 18 was:

Yes, we've reached the PBT upgrade threshold. [...] Regarding updates, we are finalizing PBT keycap design now, and then attention will turn to other aspects of the keyboard engineering. So, we are still many months away from production, but progress is being made.

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 21 May 2019, 08:14:35 »
I emailed them a couple months ago to ask about status and whether the keys would be PBT or not, and their response on March 18 was:
Yes, we've reached the PBT upgrade threshold. [...] Regarding updates, we are finalizing PBT keycap design now, and then attention will turn to other aspects of the keyboard engineering. So, we are still many months away from production, but progress is being made.

PBT upgrade have been reached since quite a while. Then it was the tooling then I don't know.

This GB started in 2014, we're about to celebrate our 5th years of waiting.
That's it for me. I got a refund. And with it, I forfeited my right to b!tch about the project.

« Last Edit: Tue, 21 May 2019, 14:50:13 by BucklingSpring »
Boards I own, click ->
More

Offline tuananh_bkk

« Reply #139 on: Sat, 08 June 2019, 05:06:37 »
is it a good time to join the project now? =))

Offline Matias

« Reply #140 on: Sun, 09 June 2019, 01:59:49 »

You're welcome any time.  :-)

I'm hoping to finish it this year.

The keycaps are almost ready.  We have 2 PBT vendors working on perfecting the material formula.  Both are very close.

I'm going to China again later this month.

Offline Applet

« Reply #141 on: Wed, 12 June 2019, 03:56:57 »

You're welcome any time.  :-)

I'm hoping to finish it this year.

The keycaps are almost ready.  We have 2 PBT vendors working on perfecting the material formula.  Both are very close.

I'm going to China again later this month.
Very excited for the PBT keycaps  ;D

Offline aphoid

« Reply #142 on: Mon, 17 June 2019, 07:56:17 »
I emailed this in, but I would love an option to have a split space bar, if possible. 

Offline AKmalamute

• HHKB Scrub
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 18 June 2019, 12:11:19 »
I emailed this in,

While I would too, feature creep on an already-much-overdue group buy is a bad idea.

HHKB-lite2, Dvorak user

Offline aphoid

« Reply #144 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 13:50:02 »
I note that the Matias store page for this (https://matias.store/collections/mechanical-keyboards/products/60-keyboard) is now updated and specifically says that all the caps will be PBT, but the general info page isn't updated (http://matias.ca/60/pc/).

Offline geniekid

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 06 December 2019, 09:25:34 »
How's it going on this?

Offline geniekid

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 07 February 2020, 16:30:06 »
Is there a better place to get updates on this project?  :)

Offline Matias

« Reply #147 on: Sun, 09 February 2020, 19:34:31 »
I emailed this in, but I would love an option to have a split space bar, if possible. 

Unfortunately, no space for a split Spacebar, since it's 4.5u and the next size down is 2.5u.

How's it going on this?

Is there a better place to get updates on this project?  :)

Yes, this is the best place for updates.

China is a little occupied at the moment, so there likely won't be more updates until things there stabilize.

We're considering adding programmability, since we have code for that now.  I still need to figure out how best to handle it.

Thanks again to everyone still patiently waiting.

Offline aphoid

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 17 March 2020, 08:13:32 »
I know there are far more important things going on in the world, and I don't expect to see much, if any, progress in this time of global crisis. 

I'm a mac user, but I would want to have the PC nav cluster (with pgup/pgdn/home/end).  I hope that ends up being a possibility. 

Programmability would be greatly appreciated, and that would let us, e.g. use the extra buttons as macros. 

Offline Matias

« Reply #149 on: Thu, 09 April 2020, 20:27:28 »
I know there are far more important things going on in the world, and I don't expect to see much, if any, progress in this time of global crisis.

Yes, hope you're all staying safe indoors.

I'm a mac user, but I would want to have the PC nav cluster (with pgup/pgdn/home/end).  I hope that ends up being a possibility.

Yes, either model will work on Mac or PC.

Programmability would be greatly appreciated, and that would let us, e.g. use the extra buttons as macros. 

I'm still thinking over how best to implement the macros, given how few keys are on a 60% keyboard.  Perhaps via the Fn key.  Here's how we do it on the Ergo Pro...