Author Topic: Looking for Model M key caps and key dimension info  (Read 3516 times)

Offline aptivaboy

Looking for Model M key caps and key dimension info
« on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 13:44:55 »
Hi all,

I know about Unicomp's keys, but I'm wondering if there aren't other makers out there? I'd like to trick out a PC-122 with a variety of colored keys, maybe some different fonts, and so on. Obviously, with Cherry more or less becoming the new mechanical default, there are fewer people making Model M goodies. I've checked through the list of key makers here and there's not much left besides Unicomp for the greatest keyboard ever.

Any ideas or pointers? I'm not against Unicomp (I own one of their boards and am planning on buying one of their 122s - they're a good firm!) or anything, just looking for variety - maybe different fonts, textures, and so on.

On another note, I do 3D printing and sell scale model parts on Shapeways. Is there a source for Model M key dimensions were I to try to CAD up and 3D print some of my own?

Many thanks,

Robert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Looking for Model M key caps and key dimension info
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 15:24:32 »
Very few, very few indeed.

Fentek used to sell them, rumour is that they are selling off their last stock and that's it.

Click Keyboards has some, but mainly stock IBM ones.

Unicomp you've already mentioned.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline aptivaboy

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 15:51:12 »
I may have to step in and CAD a few up. I'd love some Roman numerals on my number keys, maybe some stepped fonts on the function keys. Hmmm...

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 16:33:10 »
I may have to step in and CAD a few up. I'd love some Roman numerals on my number keys, maybe some stepped fonts on the function keys. Hmmm...

If you can produce a decent buckling spring keycap, you might have a lot of orders.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline aptivaboy

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 16:43:14 »
I'm just unsure of what material to use that would be durable enough. There's plenty of things at Shapeways that would work, but at what marginal cost? It would mean either having the character recessed or standing proud of the surface of the key. I'm thinking that slightly recessed would be best so that the user could then fill in the recess with paint, say, and then clear coat it to lock in the color. Done in enamels, that would make the paint more durable and easier to clean using water soluble solutions. The shape is easy enough to replicate. Its what Shapeways would charge per key that may prove daunting.

I'll need to think on this.

Robert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

Offline aptivaboy

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 21:33:38 »
Many thanks, I shall peruse them! :thumb: :thumb:

I'm thinking of making something that looks somewhat Victorian or steampunk-esque, maybe black keys with gold lettering. That would look nice atop a black Unicomp case, methinks, or a slightly circular Model M cap, like an early typewriter key. These are just ideas I'm bouncing around. I have a ton of other CAD projects to finish off first, but maybe during Spring Break free from annoying students in a few weeks I can bang some key prototypes out.

Robert

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 22:59:15 »
Steampunk be like: http://www.datamancer.com/cart/

If you can affix that type of keycap to a Model M stem you'd be on to something!

Gold on black would look somewhat Egyptian.

Ideas are good :)

Offline aptivaboy

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 March 2016, 23:04:25 »
Those look cool. Yes, something in that general ballpark. I've been toying with the idea of changing the lettering to something more British; what would British English call the "Alt" key? Something like that. Again, just ideas.

To make a circular key for the Model M the key would have to include the stem and not just be a standard cap. Getting something that durable in a printed medium may not be possible right now. I'll check on it, though.

Robrt

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 March 2016, 00:49:40 »
Those look cool. Yes, something in that general ballpark. I've been toying with the idea of changing the lettering to something more British; what would British English call the "Alt" key? Something like that. Again, just ideas.

To make a circular key for the Model M the key would have to include the stem and not just be a standard cap. Getting something that durable in a printed medium may not be possible right now. I'll check on it, though.

Robrt

"Alt" :p

Offline aptivaboy

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 15 March 2016, 00:12:18 »
Just a musing that struck me a moment ago, more for escape and function keys than for hard core typing...

Offline dest

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 March 2016, 23:32:10 »
It's really too bad the Model M has been left behind. One of the very few available caps is the red "PANIC" button. I would like that, but "DON'T PANIC" instead.

I know there's an Etsy seller that does custom dye sub caps for the Model M, but that's about it.

Offline aptivaboy

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 17 March 2016, 13:23:18 »
Very true. I called Fentek and their price for even 5 unprinted keycaps is pretty outrageous, although I like their colors better than Unicomp's.

One of the thing's I'm looking at is printing a Model M key and then extrude cutting or recessing the letters slightly into the top of the key. The user could then paint the cap whatever color they wanted and drop some paint into the character recess to make it stand out.  I have a prototype CAD key cap file done but it will need to be ordered and checked to ensure it fits, adn I'm too poor right now. Maybe next month. We shall see...