Author Topic: Super ultra high speed board  (Read 23136 times)

Offline chimera15

Super ultra high speed board
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 18:41:14 »
It would be pretty hilarious if I actually built one of these things, and actually managed to type 212 wpm on it, and took it down to the ultimate typing championship and walked in with it. roflol

I think it's too late now though, there's less than a month left to the close of the competition.  Why didn't you post that earlier Ripster! lol
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
white fake simplified:   1x white smk-85, 1x Steampunk compact board hack
white real simplified: 1x unitek k-258
low profile: 1x mint m1242 in box
black: ultra mini wrist keyboard hack
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch
rainbow test boards:  mck-84sx

Offline chimera15

« Reply #51 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 19:07:59 »
It's pretty interesting.  Apparently Blackburn's record has been broken several times now.  The fastest typer in the world is around 309 wpm.  I need to read more about what they're typing and typing on.
Alps boards:
white real complicated: 1x modified siiig minitouch kb1903,  hhkb light2 english steampunk hack, wireless siig minitouch hack
white with rubber damper(cream)+clicky springs: 2x modified siig minitouch kb1903 1x modified siig minitouch kb1948
blue: Japanese hhk2 lite hack, 1x siig minitouch pcb/doubleshot dc-2014 caps. kb1903, 1x modified kb1948 Siig minitouch

Offline chimera15

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 19:15:52 »
Quote from: webwit;138926
You are aiming too high, I think. While all this might make the difference between two champs with equal skills, I think it is a limited gain in the end compared to lots of training. Work, work, work, and gain 10wpm in a few months. There is no quick success. Or you need a new paradigm, like typing in syllables or popular words using macros, which is not cheating like in macroing parts of a text, but changing the atomic unit. Consider Japanese, where the syllable is the atomic unit, which is actually quite smart and effective.

I still don't think using macros is fair.  I don't see improving much past 110 wpm without changing the board or format I'm typing on.  I've shown that key type can make as much as a 10-20 wpm difference in raw speed now.  It's possible that a board could make as much as 30 wpm difference.  

I'm typing as fast as I can on one phrase to get that result.  I doubt much more training with the boards I have now is going to make much of a difference to that speed.  I think there is a max speed to a board switch/cap type, just like a car.   It'd be better to find a board that has the highest max speed, and then work like hell on that to max out its speed.  It's kind of like you're saying, take this vw bug, and train on a track to get it up to 200wpm, it's just not going to happen.  You need a combination of a well performing high speed car, and a skilled driver to get those results.

If you told me what board the current record holder of 309 wpm used, and he was actually typing real phrases like on the typrx website, not using macros, then I'd be satisfied with that, I'd buy that board and train on that, but lacking that information I'm going to try to build a board with the max possible relative speed.

I'm viewing this a lot like nascar, or f1, where new devices are thought of to improve driving for everyone.   I've already hit on an invention of using silicone just for normal keycaps that I plan to use in the future.  A lot of this is producing results that's useful in just normal typing.

The Japanese example doesn't track.  Those are actually letters, and they're not all syllables in fact.  They have vowel sounds and modification symbols, and one consonant n,  that effectively turn the raw consonant/vowel combination into more consonants which doesn't follow exactly for syllables.   Even if you're talking kanji, a lot of characters are still just a single vowel sound, which isn't a syllable when used in combination with other letters.  At any rate you're talking about a different language with completely different sentence and word structure in general.  Words sound completely different to what would be made with a Latin based language.  It's so different you can't even count wpm when you're talking about Chinese or Japanese as a source of comparison, you have to talk in cpm purely to have any comparison at all.

You're saying that I should come up with a new English typing format completely essentially.  That would take a lot of work just by itself.

It's actually probable that this has been done hasn't it?  I think it would still be disqualified in a competition situation since it would take alternate drivers or macros to run on the computer.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 December 2009, 19:47:51 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

« Reply #53 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 19:58:11 »
This is a really interesting thread:

http://typera.tk/forum/topic.cws?id=17
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

« Reply #54 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 20:17:03 »
Quote from: webwit;138941
Maybe not in a competition where the atomic unit is agreed to be a latin character. But typing for competition is useless ;) If you'd speed type for business it is just another paradigm and who cares how you get your wpm. I was looking at it from that point of view. Sure it has been done before. Chord keyboards. Velotype, etc. Goes back decades (stenotype).

Show Image

Unlike most countries, Dutch TV subtitles foreign languages. This is what they use for live translations.

So that's an interesting point, how does a stenotype keyboard work.   Why doesn't everyone use it?  What's the fastest typist with a stenotype type keyboard? lol

So wikipedia says the highest speed is 375 wpm with a stenotype keyboard.  But it's in shorthand? So it's not full english words?
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 December 2009, 20:19:05 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

« Reply #55 on: Fri, 04 December 2009, 22:22:53 »
Quote from: webwit;138952
Heheh I wasted years on MUD. That is indeed a great if utterly outdated way to improve your typing. Especially when action oriented, natural speed training. But also, the smartest players and coders used macros and "quicktypers" ;)

Yeah  I used gs4 as a way to get the basics of dvorak down.   I still plan to use it to increase speed. It's still a handy tool.  I spent 15 years playing. It's the main reason I can type at all. ;)  Of course kobold and rolton doesn't come up much in normal typing. lol

I really wish there was a Japanese text mud so I could really get fluent in Japanese. lol  Playing gs was like learning a whole other language practically for me anyway.
« Last Edit: Fri, 04 December 2009, 22:39:53 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

« Reply #56 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 04:09:24 »

I went with my idea of making a set of silicone steampunk keys....

So they absolutely work.  I went with a harder silicone, poyo putty, it's about a shore hardness of 20-30.  I bounce off the keys at high speed.   I'm turning in averages of 100 wpm now on medium difficulty passages.  

I didn't have enough keys from my last steampunk mod, so waiting for the set in the mail.   I'm short about 10 keys, which you can see.  It'll leave me 46 which should be more than enough to do another set of prime keys for my green alps board as well as leave these as they are.  Next set I'll probably use silicone color to make the putty black.

Anyway, it's totally awesome, the keytops are like magic.  I'm really curious to see how I'll do with the green alps and these.

I think it's also helping that the keytops are completely flat, which may be one of the reasons I was faster with the irocks board as well.  With no little projections you can move your hand closer to the board and not get caught when going for the next key.

Once I get the rest of the key bottoms I should pick up even more speed because then all the keys will be perfectly uniform which should help a bit.

Probably with the final ultra speed board I won't rig up any unnecessary keys, so the board won't have like an function, alt, control, tab, or possibly even a return key which aren't used in competition.  Just like a nascar competition, there's no reason to clutter a board with keys that won't be used and could potentially interfere with advantageous finger placements or keystrokes.
« Last Edit: Sat, 05 December 2009, 04:31:17 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 15:17:37 »
Complete win! I love it.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline msiegel

« Reply #58 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 15:28:50 »
Quote from: chimera15;139003
the keytops are like magic

i think you're onto something :)

maybe one of our resident mold-makers can make a set of these... chimercaps :D

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline msiegel

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 05 December 2009, 17:44:57 »

Filco Zero (Fukka) AEKII sliders and keycaps * Filco Tenkeyless MX brown * IBM F/AT parts: modding
Model F Mod Log * Open Source Generic keyboard controller

Offline ak_nala

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 07 December 2009, 09:06:51 »
Following up –

Olympia SM-3 portable, circa 1956 IIRC.

Fully sprung key tops on all alpha-numerics and the shift keys.

Mmmm, chocolate double-shots :)

Looks like the exact same mechanism as on the full-sized SG-1 typewriter.

The alpha-numeric key tops on the portable SM-9 are running exactly 1/2" wide at their widest point, while the full size SG-1 key tops are just a hair under 9/16" at their widest point.

I read somewhere that starting with the SM-5 they did away with these springs (verified by there being none on my SM-9) and I have no info on the SG-3, so if looking for spring loaded key tops I'd stick to either a full-sized SG-1 or a portable SM-3 or SM-4.

Note that the keys on the SG-1 are actually quite a bit darker than this. Really a very, very dark olive green that looks almost black when viewed from above under normal room lighting.
No matter where you go, there you are...

Offline chimera15

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 08 December 2009, 12:10:28 »
I had not tried my cherry g84-4100ptmus before cause it was out in the car with my carputer.  I decided to finally give it a try today, and I'm way above my average scores, most around 95-100.  Short travel linear is definitely the way to go for speed.  I think I'm a bit slower than I could be cause it has a slightly compressed layout and a small backspace.

I also tried the scorpius m10 with blue cherries, I would say it's about an average board for speed.   I averaged around 80wpm with it. I was surprised at the lightness of the blue cherry switch.   I'd say it's about an 80wpm board for me.
« Last Edit: Tue, 08 December 2009, 12:12:38 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 21 December 2009, 17:12:34 »
Some update on this.  I couldn't get the silicone even enough the way I was doing it.  I remembered I used some of this foam from Micheal's before on projects and it worked well for things that needed to be soft, so I started experimenting with it.  I deswitched my ortek mini.  I never felt comfortable with it because it didn't have a number pad and it had the European return.  It's perfect to use different switches on though because you never have to press return on any of the passages, nor any function keys.

This has the foamed caps and green switches with silicone in the bottom which shortens their travel, and gives them extra bounce when they bottom out.  I wasn't super happy with the results, but I might find it better the faster I get.

Ultraspeedboard hack mk2

As you can see the foam is much more even than the silicone was.

Finally this is Mk3 incorporating all the advantages from all the tests I've run.  It has complicated whites from the ortek that I pulled for the main row, and the round typewriter key bottoms, and foam.  Some adjustment will still probably be necessary for the foam, I think I need to add another layer so the edges of the keys don't hook my fingers as I travel over the keys. So far I haven't fun a full test with this board.  I also found with the elevated angle of the wireless hack, my speed improved a lot.  Angle seems to have a lot to do with how fast you are, cause it effects overall hand position.  For me and the way I'm sitting with the board in my lap, a high angle really helps, which is beyond what is capable with the feet, so I made a home made riser out of some foam board.

Ultra high speed board mk3:

« Last Edit: Mon, 21 December 2009, 17:19:48 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 21 December 2009, 19:30:23 »
So far not bad, I added the extra layer of foam to the keys. It's about 100 times more comfortable than a normal minitouch, I haven't reached the 125 wpm speed I reached on my wireless minihack yet though...

So far:

12   zzephyr   117.9 wpm   
13   ranger296   117.0 wpm   
14   chimera15   114.9 wpm   
15   Mustang   112.5 wpm

heh.
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 21 December 2009, 20:20:38 »
Quote from: ripster;144361
I gotta look for that foam sometime.  That does look pretty slick.  What brand is it??

I'm thinking it might be a way to muffle key noise by squirting the stuff into the bottom of keys.

It comes in sheets..not liquid. It's called "creatology fun foam".
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 26 December 2009, 11:45:37 »
nmstin   130.1 wpm   
12   chimera15   129.2 wpm   
13   aoeuaoeu   124.6 wpm   
14   astinus   123.6 wpm

Almost broke 130! On my version 3 with cream dampered switches, with clicky leafs, and old typewriter keys.

Someone should make cream stem/clicky spring alps and make them alps reds. lol  Really awesome feeling switches.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 December 2009, 12:03:08 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline chimera15

« Reply #66 on: Sat, 26 December 2009, 11:49:50 »
Heee! roflol

I think right now that It's reasonable to think I could get around 150 if I type perfect with this board, but It'd really take some doing, I almost got that quote perfect as you can get it, I was just a little slow around the beginning of it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 26 December 2009, 11:53:07 by chimera15 »
Alps boards:

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #67 on: Sat, 26 December 2009, 13:34:55 »
Awesome. If you're the one with a ton of extra G keys, could they be modded for replacing the square keycaps?

Offline chimera15

« Reply #68 on: Sat, 26 December 2009, 14:01:54 »
Quote from: ricercar;145365
Awesome. If you're the one with a ton of extra G keys, could they be modded for replacing the square keycaps?

G keys? Which square keycaps? huh?
Alps boards:

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #69 on: Sat, 26 December 2009, 14:23:51 »
Maybe I'm dreaming, but I thought you posted a typewriter key mod pic of keys that showed a normal set, and then another pile of G keys aside the other, of equal size. Of course I can't find it NOW.