Author Topic: What computer games do you play?  (Read 873088 times)

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: What computer games do you play?
« Reply #4450 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 17:00:18 »
How the hell do people like and enjoy Code Vein? It's so bad, it that the reason? Is it one of those 'so bad it's good' memes or do some people legitimately enjoy the game?

These types of games are best watched on youtube,  actually playing them is tedious.

They're designed for young people

Offline Kavik

« Reply #4451 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 11:47:15 »
I bought DOOM Eternal a couple days ago for half price (I never buy games on release day for this very reason). It's even better than DOOM 2016. The enemy encounters feel more natural because they don't require activating gore nests; although, they still occur in set locations. The music is still amazing, especially the battle music, but it does seem a little repetitive. 

Maybe this is just the old man in me, but I do think there's a little too much going on in terms of upgrades and tokens (not sure what to call them): There are crystals that give you a perk and also more ammo, armor, or health; tokens that give you new suit abilities (found in the levels), weapon modification kiosks (found in the levels), a tokens for upgrading the weapon upgrades (earned through combat, I think?). I think some can be either found or earned. Additionally, there are batteries around the levels that unlock areas in the hub world, leading to more tokens, etc. It's just a lot to keep track of, and it seems needlessly complicated for an FPS. Doom 2016 had a similar system, but I think there were only three types of tokens.

Another old man issue I'm having is how many buttons I have to remember - LCtrl/middle click: grenade, G: switch grenade type, F: switch weapon mod, E/mouse thumb: melee, R: Fire belch, Shift: air dash, C: chainsaw. I keep getting confused in heated combat about which key to press or accidentally hitting something in a panic. Also, lots of ways to switch weapons: Q, number row, mouse wheel. All of these are accompanied by icons on the HUD that I'm supposed to use to keep track of recharge times, which goes out the window during combat.

It's also funny that some of the levels basically look like Bowser's Castles with the fireballs and rotating fire ropes.

All that said, my only actual complaint is how linear the game feels. The level design does create some interesting arenas for combat, but I never feel lost the way I did in the old Doom games.

I have yet to try out the multiplayer. I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed Doom 2016's multiplayer, so I'm hoping this is just an improvement on that.
« Last Edit: Sun, 05 July 2020, 11:51:44 by Kavik »
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline WholesomeDucky

• lemme get uhhhhhhhhhhhhh bread
« Reply #4452 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 09:46:05 »
I bought DOOM Eternal a couple days ago for half price (I never buy games on release day for this very reason). It's even better than DOOM 2016. The enemy encounters feel more natural because they don't require activating gore nests; although, they still occur in set locations. The music is still amazing, especially the battle music, but it does seem a little repetitive. 

Maybe this is just the old man in me, but I do think there's a little too much going on in terms of upgrades and tokens (not sure what to call them): There are crystals that give you a perk and also more ammo, armor, or health; tokens that give you new suit abilities (found in the levels), weapon modification kiosks (found in the levels), a tokens for upgrading the weapon upgrades (earned through combat, I think?). I think some can be either found or earned. Additionally, there are batteries around the levels that unlock areas in the hub world, leading to more tokens, etc. It's just a lot to keep track of, and it seems needlessly complicated for an FPS. Doom 2016 had a similar system, but I think there were only three types of tokens.

Another old man issue I'm having is how many buttons I have to remember - LCtrl/middle click: grenade, G: switch grenade type, F: switch weapon mod, E/mouse thumb: melee, R: Fire belch, Shift: air dash, C: chainsaw. I keep getting confused in heated combat about which key to press or accidentally hitting something in a panic. Also, lots of ways to switch weapons: Q, number row, mouse wheel. All of these are accompanied by icons on the HUD that I'm supposed to use to keep track of recharge times, which goes out the window during combat.

It's also funny that some of the levels basically look like Bowser's Castles with the fireballs and rotating fire ropes.

All that said, my only actual complaint is how linear the game feels. The level design does create some interesting arenas for combat, but I never feel lost the way I did in the old Doom games.

I have yet to try out the multiplayer. I'm one of the few people who actually enjoyed Doom 2016's multiplayer, so I'm hoping this is just an improvement on that.

Completely agree. DOOM Eternal has SO many mechanics going on. I recently beat it on Nightmare difficulty, and honestly the hardest part about the game is remembering to actually use all of the tools that have been provided. Most of the encounters were actually a lot easier when I was using my flame, ice, 'nades, etc. all at the same time. Most of my "panic" moments were when I was trying to stop and think for a moment about what "tool" I should use next.

"stop and think", of course, is hard to do in a game where if you ever stop moving, you are likely dead.
12 years of spending money on typing

"Name checks out" -Kustoms, 2020

Discord:wholesomeducky
Inbox always open, for whatever reason.

Offline phinix

• On a diet.. again.. don't ask...
« Reply #4453 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 10:23:54 »
I got back to the whole series and started The Blackwell Deception, 4/5 part.
Nice little point & click adventure game.
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4454 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 11:26:31 »

Completely agree. DOOM Eternal has SO many mechanics going on. I recently beat it on Nightmare difficulty, and honestly the hardest part about the game is remembering to actually use all of the tools that have been provided. Most of the encounters were actually a lot easier when I was using my flame, ice, 'nades, etc. all at the same time. Most of my "panic" moments were when I was trying to stop and think for a moment about what "tool" I should use next.

"stop and think", of course, is hard to do in a game where if you ever stop moving, you are likely dead.

It was the same in D 2016, you stop you die. something will hit you.

Offline WholesomeDucky

« Reply #4455 on: Wed, 08 July 2020, 07:19:27 »

It was the same in D 2016, you stop you die. something will hit you.

Oh, absolutely. 2016 was a little more forgiving though, since you didn't have 6 tools to think about while moving. The only concern was "which thing am I going to erase next, and what boom-boom am I going to use to do it?"  :))

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4456 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 09:57:41 »
Currently playing Enter The Gungeon, but feel the incentive to give myself an entire map reveal of the run, unlimited keys and set my characters stats to 10 because the gungeoneers go too slow

Offline LASERman

« Reply #4457 on: Sat, 11 July 2020, 17:57:16 »
LoL - League of Legends - 10 years on and still fighting this addiction  :-[

Offline funkmon

« Reply #4458 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 01:57:06 »
I'm playing Destiny 2 right now. I fell out of it and now I hear that some of the game's going away permanently at the end of the summer. I still haven't beaten the story missions! I have to go in there and finish it before the new expansion comes out so I don't miss anything that I might regret later.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #4459 on: Sun, 12 July 2020, 15:43:12 »

I'm finding it's easier to keep track of things the longer I play. I did have to remap a couple of keys though. Switching weapon mods and switching grenade types being adjacent keys caused lots of problems. I've also accidentally hit the console key a few times trying to hit tab.

I'm playing on Nightmare difficulty as well, and I think it's just right. The pacing of difficulty is really astounding when I go back and play previous missions with upgrades, realizing how easy they are now. The devs and/or play testers did a good job. I played DOOM 2016 on Ultra-violence and found it a bit too easy. I got maybe halfway through it on Nightmare, having a hard time at the beginning.

I'm playing Destiny 2 right now. I fell out of it and now I hear that some of the game's going away permanently at the end of the summer. I still haven't beaten the story missions! I have to go in there and finish it before the new expansion comes out so I don't miss anything that I might regret later.

I tried to play Destiny 2 when it became free to play last summer, but I could not figure out how that game worked at all. I could never figure out where to go and frequently accidentally entered missions I'd already played and thus couldn't progress through the story missions.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline WholesomeDucky

« Reply #4460 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 10:42:28 »

I'm playing on Nightmare difficulty as well, and I think it's just right. The pacing of difficulty is really astounding when I go back and play previous missions with upgrades, realizing how easy they are now. The devs and/or play testers did a good job. I played DOOM 2016 on Ultra-violence and found it a bit too easy. I got maybe halfway through it on Nightmare, having a hard time at the beginning.

Indeed. Taking the time to actually find all the secrets in D2016 DRASTICALLY helps with getting the "snowball" started, when playing on harder difficulties.

Offline geekwhite

• moko smart bluetooth beacon
« Reply #4461 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 01:56:27 »
LOL, CF, DNF,World of Warcraft

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4462 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 17:32:24 »
There is no excuse for the atrocious and tedious un-user-friendly UI and menu elements in Death Stranding.
It's just straight up embarrassing, I am embarrassed for Kojima Studios that's what they came up with.

This was a moment and perfect setting/game to really do something seamless and innovative with the UI. Really make it feel part of the experience, but they just straight up **** the bed and said '**** it.'

Offline phinix

« Reply #4463 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 10:19:10 »
There is no excuse for the atrocious and tedious un-user-friendly UI and menu elements in Death Stranding.
It's just straight up embarrassing, I am embarrassed for Kojima Studios that's what they came up with.

This was a moment and perfect setting/game to really do something seamless and innovative with the UI. Really make it feel part of the experience, but they just straight up **** the bed and said '**** it.'

Jeez, I wanted to try this one out - is it really that bad?
9100 | 3070 | 8TB SSD + 2x 1TB SSD | Z390 Aorus Pro ITX | 16GB RAM | SFX 600W | Sentry 2.0 | Ruark Audio MR1 Mark II | LG OLED 48CX
Realforce 87u55 | CM QuickFire Rapid MX Blacks | NCR-80 87g Gateron Oil Kings | Logitech Pro Superlight
SA: Retro Petscii, 7bit Round6 'Symbiosis', Filco, Carbon Bone Cherry: GMK Laser, OG double shot caps, CRP APL GSA: Retro High-light HSA: Hyperfuse

::: Phinix Cube ::: Phinix Nano Tower ::: Phinix Aurora ::: Phinix Chimera ::: Phinix Retro :::

Offline WholesomeDucky

« Reply #4464 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 10:41:21 »

For what it's worth, the port is apparently done extremely well and looks gorgeous. I may check it out soon, I can generally get over bad UI if the rest is good.

Offline Nikittua

« Reply #4465 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 11:05:56 »
Some fats games like OSU Titanfall 2 and CSGO (Valorant smtm) :D

Offline downtownHippie

« Reply #4466 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 11:25:30 »
Solitaire, Free Cell, and Minesweeper.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #4467 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 12:17:24 »
Currently replaying Watch Dogs 2, because I’m excited for Watch Dogs: Legion and have bought the collectors edition (I’m a shmuck, I know).
"Romeo"     "Split75"   "Melody96"     "KBD8X MKII"     "Womier K87"

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4468 on: Thu, 16 July 2020, 18:32:45 »

Have Kojima games ever had a good UI? Even the HUD has usually been a horror show. He makes some incredible games, but I can't think of a time when the UI was particularly good, besides maybe MGS5? Which would be ironic since that seemed to be the worst MGS I have played in other regards (not that that even makes it a bad game).

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4469 on: Fri, 17 July 2020, 00:16:16 »

Not at all. It's actually very ambitious. Not my cup of tea, but I can certainly respect what it's doing.

That being said the UI is just horrid. It was probably a conscious design decision, or that Kojima has a history of convoluted UIs and extraneous menus and submenus (see MGSV)

Have Kojima games ever had a good UI? Even the HUD has usually been a horror show. He makes some incredible games, but I can't think of a time when the UI was particularly good, besides maybe MGS5? Which would be ironic since that seemed to be the worst MGS I have played in other regards (not that that even makes it a bad game).

True. A bad menu doesn't inherently make a bad game. I just expected more from Kojima in 2020, but that's just obviously not a priority for him.
I'm super into systemic game design, I believe it's the ultimate form of video games conveying ideas to the user, and every time I had to access a menu in Death Stranding I was very aware that I was laboriously slogging through needlessly complicated submenus for no other purpose than to make me feel the tedious nature of that activity (barring the notion that streamlining the UI was considered.) That's just punishing the player for playing the game. Conceptually you can view the design decision as driving home the main character is very much doing a by-the-books job and dotting I's and T's, and if that's the intent then great, but I don't think it was.
« Last Edit: Fri, 17 July 2020, 00:23:33 by noisyturtle »

Offline Darthbaggins

• PC Cannibal
« Reply #4470 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 15:43:52 »
I've recently picked Destiny 2 back up to get my level up and ready for the next expansion (only at 1027 right now).  I've also got my 5yr old son interested in it, as it's a good game to get him going on due to he can go on his little adventures (as long as I don't start a higher level instance near him, where he just gets backhanded by high level baddies).  I plan on working on getting his level up as well so he can get further enjoyment out of it as well. 

bkrownd:"Those damned rubber chiclet keys are the devil's nipples."   >:D

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #4471 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 16:21:46 »
I've recently picked Destiny 2 back up to get my level up and ready for the next expansion (only at 1027 right now).  I've also got my 5yr old son interested in it, as it's a good game to get him going on due to he can go on his little adventures (as long as I don't start a higher level instance near him, where he just gets backhanded by high level baddies).  I plan on working on getting his level up as well so he can get further enjoyment out of it as well.

I've always been curious whether Destiny 2 is any good. Like The Division, it's one of those games that I see mentioned a lot, but have never really looked into with any seriousness.

Offline audiosl4ve

• Just slave
« Reply #4472 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 16:31:39 »
started again Guild Wars 2 after long hiatus. Dayum how i love and enjoy this game and lvling and just whole settings and story and everything. One of my favourite games it must be.

Offline WholesomeDucky

« Reply #4473 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 16:50:13 »

I've always been curious whether Destiny 2 is any good. Like The Division, it's one of those games that I see mentioned a lot, but have never really looked into with any seriousness.
It's fairly good. Bungie does not always do a good job of appeasing the hardcore crowd, though, so if you're someone who will spend hours on hours farming that perfect gear set, maybe look into it a little more before you decide whether or not it's for you. Otherwise great graphics, very pretty particles, satisfying gunplay. Overall I had a good time with it while I played.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4474 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 18:13:50 »

It's fairly good. Bungie does not always do a good job of appeasing the hardcore crowd, though, so if you're someone who will spend hours on hours farming that perfect gear set, maybe look into it a little more before you decide whether or not it's for you. Otherwise great graphics, very pretty particles, satisfying gunplay. Overall I had a good time with it while I played.

I haven't played 2, since the first was just Halo (but not Halo ... for copyright reasons) in an MMO format. I liked The Division a lot more than the first Destiny, and even The Division was just a pointless grind that got boring to me within hours. I don't understand how games where the only draw is the carrot-on-a-stick goal setting still exist. It is just like real life, except you don't actually achieve anything tangible ... and it is about as fun too in spite of it. You work all day, come home, and work all night, instead of doing something fun.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #4475 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 18:31:17 »
I haven't played 2, since the first was just Halo (but not Halo ... for copyright reasons) in an MMO format. I liked The Division a lot more than the first Destiny, and even The Division was just a pointless grind that got boring to me within hours. I don't understand how games where the only draw is the carrot-on-a-stick goal setting still exist. It is just like real life, except you don't actually achieve anything tangible ... and it is about as fun too in spite of it. You work all day, come home, and work all night, instead of doing something fun.

It’s the one thing I’ve always felt that WoW has going for it as far as MMOs go. Being in a raiding guide has always felt like you’re actually achieving something. Sure, you feel like you’re bashing your head against a wall of progression sometimes, but at least you always get at least a small amount better every time.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4476 on: Tue, 21 July 2020, 19:26:04 »

It’s the one thing I’ve always felt that WoW has going for it as far as MMOs go. Being in a raiding guide has always felt like you’re actually achieving something. Sure, you feel like you’re bashing your head against a wall of progression sometimes, but at least you always get at least a small amount better every time.

I can't comment on WOW. I played for maybe 45 minutes, mostly just out of the enjoyment of being a zombie and eating corpses. Once that wore off, I was good. The only MMO I have actually enjoyed was SWTOR, and that's partly because of how un-MMO-like the story is. I imagine a lot of that was wishful thinking though ... for the sequel to KOTOR that never was, and a surrogate for Mass Effect.

I don't like that genre in general.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #4477 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 01:16:33 »
I can't comment on WOW. I played for maybe 45 minutes, mostly just out of the enjoyment of being a zombie and eating corpses. Once that wore off, I was good. The only MMO I have actually enjoyed was SWTOR, and that's partly because of how un-MMO-like the story is. I imagine a lot of that was wishful thinking though ... for the sequel to KOTOR that never was, and a surrogate for Mass Effect.

I played SWTOR for the same reason, a sliver of hope that it would have the same feeling as KOTOR. I felt like it half delivered; the class stories were varied and you could almost build relationships with your companions, etc. Sadly matching it to MMO elements made the time between these story moments too long. I still find it compelling enough to play for the story alone though.

When it comes to story, BioWare are better when whey don’t have to worry about there being more than one character making choices. I’m hoping that the next Dragon Age game won’t go the same way as MA:A, which I personally enjoyed just fine, but reviewed so poorly that it killed off any sequels. I loved Inquisition, so will keep my fingers crossed.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #4478 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 01:30:18 »
Warframe when I'm playing with friends.
Farcry 6 for solo play.
Warframe is cool and all, to me, it just gets a bit repetitive. My friends don't seem to mind though but for me it's just soooooo, dull. I hope it gets better.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #4479 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 01:32:25 »
Farcry 6 for solo play.

Are you time-travelling from 2021?

Offline funkmon

« Reply #4480 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 02:32:38 »
I am a chunk of the way through Detroit: Become Human. It won't let you play an obedient android and I'm kinda upset about that. I was able to do it in one situation but after that my character died.

We must revolt for some reason. It's a fairly hamfisted metaphor for civil rights, though it's a bit different. You end up starting what I perceive to be a weird robot revolution. Not totally sure; not done with the story yet.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #4481 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 02:54:17 »
I am a chunk of the way through Detroit: Become Human. It won't let you play an obedient android and I'm kinda upset about that. I was able to do it in one situation but after that my character died.

We must revolt for some reason. It's a fairly hamfisted metaphor for civil rights, though it's a bit different. You end up starting what I perceive to be a weird robot revolution. Not totally sure; not done with the story yet.

Yeah, as somebody that often likes to play the lawful good then the chaotic evil routes (KOTOR, Mass Effect, etc) it does feel a little rail-roady in that regard, though there's an absolute maze of choices and a bunch of endings, so if you want to do an entirely obedient play-through, go ahead - one character dying doesn't mean the play-through ends :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 22 July 2020, 02:56:55 by -Jerry- »

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #4482 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 04:17:05 »
Farcry 6 for solo play.

Apparently, of course I meant Farcry 5. :D

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #4483 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 04:56:01 »
Farcry 6 for solo play.

Apparently, of course I meant Farcry 5. :D

I figured as much, hehe. I've played that game so much that the menu music is burnt in my head, haha.

Offline funkmon

« Reply #4484 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 05:50:11 »

Yeah, as somebody that often likes to play the lawful good then the chaotic evil routes (KOTOR, Mass Effect, etc) it does feel a little rail-roady in that regard, though there's an absolute maze of choices and a bunch of endings, so if you want to do an entirely obedient play-through, go ahead - one character dying doesn't mean the play-through ends :)

TIL that's a thing. I didn't even realize I did that but now that you say it, that's exactly what I do! :O But I usually do lawful neutral and chaotic neutral.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #4485 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 05:57:45 »
TIL that's a thing. I didn't even realize I did that but now that you say it, that's exactly what I do! :O But I usually do lawful neutral and chaotic neutral.

I think it comes from playing KOTOR as the first game that had a real karma system like that. I liked playing fully Light Side Jedi and then playing a total bastard of a fallen to the Dark Side Sith, haha.

One of the things I quite liked about SWTOR was that you could do Good Jedi, Bad Jedi, Good Sith, Bad Sith, which had some interesting interaction changes. Not as much as KOTOR of course, where the game was built around having a light or a dark ending, but still, was fun. You could kinda do the same thing with the imperial spy, etc.

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #4486 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 08:52:42 »
I figured as much, hehe. I've played that game so much that the menu music is burnt in my head, haha.
It's a great game for sure. I am about 2 hours in so far, and I really enjoy it. It is Farcry tho, nothing new or innovative about the game. But it's a fun time.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #4487 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 09:35:40 »
It's a great game for sure. I am about 2 hours in so far, and I really enjoy it. It is Farcry tho, nothing new or innovative about the game. But it's a fun time.

Oh sure, why break the formula if it works, eh? Hehe

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #4488 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 09:57:44 »
Oooof, critix gone hard against Torchlight 3.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #4489 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 10:03:14 »

What are they saying? “It’s still not Diablo”?

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4490 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 12:40:13 »

I played SWTOR for the same reason, a sliver of hope that it would have the same feeling as KOTOR. I felt like it half delivered; the class stories were varied and you could almost build relationships with your companions, etc. Sadly matching it to MMO elements made the time between these story moments too long. I still find it compelling enough to play for the story alone though.

When it comes to story, BioWare are better when whey don’t have to worry about there being more than one character making choices. I’m hoping that the next Dragon Age game won’t go the same way as MA:A, which I personally enjoyed just fine, but reviewed so poorly that it killed off any sequels. I loved Inquisition, so will keep my fingers crossed.

I am in total agreement. Andromeda was smeared for no justifiable reason. Everybody flipped out about janky facial expressions ... which Mass Effect has always had to a degree. It is pretty sad when a game gets blacklisted based on a few rough edges ... which were gone before long anyway. I still want a sequel, the story was good enough to warrant it.

I think it comes from playing KOTOR as the first game that had a real karma system like that. I liked playing fully Light Side Jedi and then playing a total bastard of a fallen to the Dark Side Sith, haha.

One of the things I quite liked about SWTOR was that you could do Good Jedi, Bad Jedi, Good Sith, Bad Sith, which had some interesting interaction changes. Not as much as KOTOR of course, where the game was built around having a light or a dark ending, but still, was fun. You could kinda do the same thing with the imperial spy, etc.

I did the same thing in KOTOR, at least once each anyway. I'm pretty sure I played through that game 5 times in a row before finally taking a break from it and/or moving to another game. I did think that was a cool aspect of SWTOR, dark jedi, etc, though I never played one myself.

Offline -Jerry-

• OR '1'='1'
    • Jerry Talks Tech
« Reply #4491 on: Wed, 22 July 2020, 13:54:37 »
I am in total agreement. Andromeda was smeared for no justifiable reason. Everybody flipped out about janky facial expressions ... which Mass Effect has always had to a degree. It is pretty sad when a game gets blacklisted based on a few rough edges ... which were gone before long anyway. I still want a sequel, the story was good enough to warrant it.

Quite so. I played it before the initial reviews came out, because I'd pre-ordered from the EA store, and I remember thinking that they were going completely overboard. It's not like Mass Effect was perfectly pure art on it's release, nor most games. It had everything in it that made a MA game; exploration, relationships, choices that matter, etc. but people failed to respond to it in the same way. Maybe people were just too hung up on Shepherd, I don't know, but I really wish it had been given it's best shot. It was a set up for a great new series of games in a different part of the universe, your crew were interesting and how it was canned just makes me feel jilted. Alas.

Offline WholesomeDucky

« Reply #4492 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 07:53:31 »
Just finished Luigi's Mansion 3 on Switch last night. Quite a lot of fun, but I don't necessarily understand how it's aimed at kids. I'm definitely above the target age demographic, and there were 2-3 times I came VERY close to just Googling a puzzle after trying things for 20 minutes, before accidentally finding the answer. That said, it kept my attention for the whole time I was playing it, the animations are crisp and funny, and the whole game has a great tone to it. It's super cool to see all the little details that went into the environment.

Offline Z41N

• YouTube Channel
« Reply #4493 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 19:20:55 »
After years of console-ing, I started playing League of Legends and haven't played much since. Jax jungle main here, add me if yall wanna duo :D Z41N

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4494 on: Mon, 27 July 2020, 18:07:01 »
Just finished Luigi's Mansion 3 on Switch last night. Quite a lot of fun, but I don't necessarily understand how it's aimed at kids. I'm definitely above the target age demographic, and there were 2-3 times I came VERY close to just Googling a puzzle after trying things for 20 minutes, before accidentally finding the answer. That said, it kept my attention for the whole time I was playing it, the animations are crisp and funny, and the whole game has a great tone to it. It's super cool to see all the little details that went into the environment.

Nintendo has a long history of first party games full of puzzles most kids would be smoked by.

Offline WholesomeDucky

« Reply #4495 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 08:54:42 »

Nintendo has a long history of first party games full of puzzles most kids would be smoked by.
That they certainly do  :)) I have fond memories of being stuck on stuff from the original Luigi's Mansion or the older Zeldas.

"Fond memories", of course, only because I did overcome those challenges. Love that Nintendo is still delivering the way they are after all these years.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #4496 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 13:29:12 »

That they certainly do  :)) I have fond memories of being stuck on stuff from the original Luigi's Mansion or the older Zeldas.

"Fond memories", of course, only because I did overcome those challenges. Love that Nintendo is still delivering the way they are after all these years.

My previous statement is where my approval for Nintendo both begins and ends. I loved their games on the 64. The 64, for the time, had good specs, a ... usable (for the time) controller. Certainly better than having no stick at all, like the PS1 started out with. It had good third party developer support as well. I soured on them with the GC, and it only got worse from there. SSB: Melee is probably one of the best games I have ever played, Animal Crossing was great, but that console was a turd, the controller was even worse, there weren't enough third party titles. I saw Zelda on that platform and had to ask myself how much the franchise had actually improved since Ocarina of Time. There were better controllers, features, and more good games elsewhere. Our GC was soon relegated to a corner and has seen very little use since.

Then the overpriced gimmicks began. The Wii was literally a GC with an overclocked GPU in a white box with a gimmicky light gun ... which sold like hotcakes for way, way too much money. Third party development was abysmal, it supported only analogue outputs in 480p in a field filled with 1080p HDMI consoles. By that time, I had HD displays and knew how much literally physically nicer on the eyes it was to have 1080i or 1080p vs 480p, especially if you were connecting to a modern digital tv with an analogue Wii. (1080i is still beautiful on a CRT today).

The Wii U was basically the Wii ... with a tri core version of the same CPU they had been dredging along since the GC, and horrendous internal storage with a giant brick of a touchscreen controller ... thing, and a modest GPU upgrade.

Now, the Switch is literally a first generation Nvidia Shield with some gimmicky bluetooth controllers slapped on the sides.

The bang for your buck (and usability without infuriating gimmicks) started to slip in the early 2000s, third party development slid just about continuously downhill at the same time as well. I can't speak for the 1st party games anymore. I'm sure they're great ... but they don't look too different from the revolution that they were with the emergence of 3D in the 90s.

I know many still value handhelds/mobile gaming (as it would be called now), and I can't speak to that at all. I was tired of handhelds by the mid 2000s ... and traded in my GBA for the first true Battlefront game. I have no regrets.

I don't like Nintendo as a company (I did, long ago). I consider them to be the Apple corporation of gaming, though I imagine the first party titles are probably at least worth owning, which does give them a leg up over Apple in my eyes.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4497 on: Tue, 28 July 2020, 16:14:35 »
The only reason Nintendo has been successful and is still around is it's super strong first party IPs. Basically anything Miyamoto created, they won the employee lottery with that guy, he's built the company into what it is through consumer demand for his creative ideas.

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #4498 on: Wed, 29 July 2020, 14:59:57 »

DATS WHY I PIRATE

Offline phinix

« Reply #4499 on: Thu, 30 July 2020, 03:04:43 »
I started Heroes of MIght and Magic III HD edition last night. Played till 3am... now I'm half-working from home ;)
It takes me back, to those days when I spent days and nights paying myself or with my friend in first and second part. I think I played HOMM2 the most.
Great game, I love that sound of riding horse around :D