geekhack Community > Other Geeky Stuff

Anyone use BBEdit?

(1/3) > >>

xsphat:
I have an old freeware copy, but I have not used the newest release. I have BBEdit Lite 6.1.2, and it doesn't use any of the Unix shrotcuts I am used to. Does the new one use them?

I just have this copy because it can open anything - even corrupt text documents.

xsphat:
Or maybe JEdit?

Whiskey in the Jar-o:

--- Quote from: xsphat ---Or maybe JEdit?
--- End quote ---

I don't think JEdit is updated much these days. The creator is no longer involved with it. It's written in Java, so wouldn't be blazingly fast. VIM is a safe choice, IMO, for the simple reason that it's everywhere. OK, that's a bit of an exaggeration, but vi certainly is everywhere. It seems that Emacs is great if you are prepared to sink a lot of time into it and customize the heck out of it. Which means you'd have to bring along your customization file to use somebody else's emacs installation. It seems that pretty much everyone who uses Emacs, customizes it heavily. You can easily extend Vim, but most people tend to use it as is i.e. with default key bindings. There are also heaps of plugins for both, of course.

iMav:
I'm a pretty frequent vi user.  But my text-editing needs aren't that great.  Edit a config file here, whip up a script there.  Nothing too demanding.

xsphat:
I way prefer the the cursor movement shortcuts in Emacs, and Mac OS X has a bunch of them built in since it's Unix, but they don't tell people that.

I never gave Vi or Vim much of a chance. I am not a coder, I am a writer, but I like to work with text without the mouse, so that is why I use coder's text editors. Plus, I really like the idea of "clean text," because after I have my documents, I can do anything I want with no stupid attributes added - just my text.

When you open a Terminal window is OS X, you can change it to Emacs, Vi or Pico just by typing the name and hitting return, so I have played with all of them and I jsut like Emacs the best.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version