Author Topic: Small trackpoint or touch pad?  (Read 10332 times)

Offline Entropia

Small trackpoint or touch pad?
« on: Tue, 24 October 2017, 03:07:18 »
I want to be able to control the mouse pointer from my steering wheel. As regard the buttons, there's no problem, because the wheel base has two buttons on the right, which can be remapped to mouse buttons. Now, on the front left of the base, there's room to stick or screw a small device, which could be a trackpoint or a touch pad, or even a very small trackball. Do you know if any of these devices exist as an independent usb device? Any other idea?

Offline 4sStylZ

Re: Small trackpoint or touch pad?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 26 October 2017, 17:05:04 »
You can make a usb trackpoint by yourself. There’s no « Plug and play version ».

That’s some DIY hard work but if you have motivation : 

1) Salvage a broken thinkpad notebook keyboard or buy some OEM replacement keyboard in Ebay. Be carefull with the trace.
2) Buy a Teensy 2 or 2++ (not the arm one who are, for me, not easy to manipulate).
3) Make an adaptator between the Teensy and the trackpoint.
4) Clone QMK Firmware in local and compile the keyboard located at keyboards/handwired/keyboard

That’s the different trackpoint models : https://deskthority.net/wiki/TrackPoint_Hardware
I personnaly have the T40 one, and I have succefully build it and I am able to use it in USB.
Bépo user here : AEK64 White linear dampened, XD75 Cherry Blue Jailhoused, TypeMatrix2030 black skin, Lenovo 0B47200 w/ trackpoint, G13, G512. Kensington Expert Trackball & Orbit, Magic touchpad 2.

Offline rich1051414

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 00:51:03 »
Trackpoint does sound good. Also the steam controller approach as well, but that may be more challenging to get setup. Either way would need some custom arduino work.

The easiest would be to use directional arrows to control the mouse cursor. The OS has support for that built in.
Siig Minitouch with Orange Alps, Whitefox 60% Zealios 67g, Realforce 87U 55g Topre, LFK SMK/Alps TKL With SMK 2nd Gen Cherry MX mount switches, NEC APC-H412 NEC Blue Ovals, Unicomp Model-M Spacesaver, XMIT Hall Effect, WASD Code Cherry MX Clear, KBDFans75 Lubed Gateron Greens, Azio MGK L80 Kailh Brown, XD84 Pale Blue Box Kailh, NIB Pingmaster TMK Converted, KPrepublic XD96 Blue aluminum case with Jade Box Kailh

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 28 October 2017, 14:13:07 »
Have you considered a joystick? I'm sure there would be a way of configuring a small joystick from an old games controller and sticking that to your steering wheel?
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline typo

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 23:23:45 »
Logitech made a very nice one discontinued check Auction site. It is about 5" square. It does gestures and everything.

Offline Tactile

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 11 December 2017, 23:50:50 »
I don't know how small you need but Adesso has been making these for many years.
REΛLFORCE