Author Topic: [GB] Phantom-based "Skeleton" Keyboard Kits - GB COMPLETE  (Read 100651 times)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
Re: [GB] Phantom-based "Skeleton" Keyboard Kits
« Reply #100 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 14:28:36 »
How much would shipping for Europe cost?

I think some people would be willing to pay a bit for shipping, since the GB cost is pretty decent

i dont know how to estimate that, short of putting each address into USPS/UPS/FedEx shipping estimator. Even then, I still don't know how to calculate import or duty fees. It's probably different for each region. I'm sorry, but I just dont see it happening for this small group buy - especially since we dont have a proxy.

Offline LeandreN

• Mekanisk.co
  • * Vendor
    • Mekanisk
« Reply #101 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 14:39:04 »
How much would shipping for Europe cost?

I think some people would be willing to pay a bit for shipping, since the GB cost is pretty decent

i dont know how to estimate that, short of putting each address into USPS/UPS/FedEx shipping estimator. Even then, I still don't know how to calculate import or duty fees. It's probably different for each region. I'm sorry, but I just dont see it happening for this small group buy - especially since we dont have a proxy.

Duties are probably 25% in most countries in the EU.

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #102 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 16:03:57 »
Can't remember what the duty has been for other "keyboard parts" I've had in the past but there defiantly is a duty on the cost of the item I have a hunch it might have been 14% but I honestly can't remember - then in the UK there's VAT (20%) on the (item+duty+postage) - and an £8 handling charge.

Yes, we are charged "value added tax" on the duty (tax) that we've already paid and on the postage of getting the item into the country!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #103 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 17:48:20 »
see, i dont know all these things. Sorry, but until i get some coaching and a rock-solid proxy, international shipping is not possible

Offline andysun

« Reply #104 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 19:51:38 »
I really only wanted to know the shipping, since customs vary from country to country. I haven't paid any yet (been lucky I guess), but I only ordered keysets and small stuff from america/china, never a full kit or keyboard.

It's a pity this kind of stuff is always so US focused. I would really like to see more WKL plates and more TKL options at a cheaper price in Europe.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #105 on: Fri, 18 March 2016, 20:23:13 »
I really only wanted to know the shipping, since customs vary from country to country. I haven't paid any yet (been lucky I guess), but I only ordered keysets and small stuff from america/china, never a full kit or keyboard.

It's a pity this kind of stuff is always so US focused. I would really like to see more WKL plates and more TKL options at a cheaper price in Europe.

i agree. i would like to be able to provide these for everyone. There seems to be just as many interested people from EU

Offline asura

• not a duck
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 19 March 2016, 13:28:20 »
There was an EU buy on Phantom plates just a few months ago, or rather it was a few months ago that I noticed it having been over for a few months, over on DT.  A couple of years before that there was a plate buy on GH, again I missed it by a few months... It's just a timing issue  :rolleyes:

Offline wakko

« Reply #107 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 23:10:18 »
I'll be in for the 7bit plates.
NOOB
KUL ES-87

Offline MoarCoffeePlzzz

• Formerly Deeptek
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 20 March 2016, 23:23:45 »
Nice looking kit!

Offline axtran

« Reply #109 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 07:34:34 »
There was an EU buy on Phantom plates just a few months ago, or rather it was a few months ago that I noticed it having been over for a few months, over on DT.  A couple of years before that there was a plate buy on GH, again I missed it by a few months... It's just a timing issue  :rolleyes:

This GB is in response to the DT GB. Those plates weren't Phantom compatible at all.
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #110 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 14:01:15 »
posted to Reddit again. Just a reminder that I will be closing orders next week.
LAST DAY TO ORDER: April 1

I'll put this on the OP also

Offline ehwc

« Reply #111 on: Mon, 21 March 2016, 15:09:08 »
PM me if you're interested in a Phantom PCB with the Teensy and diodes already soldered on! Fully tested and functional.

It'll save you ~2+ hours of work! :thumb:

Offline SparrowHAWX

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 00:54:38 »
Is shipping to Canada available now or is it restricted to the US only?

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 08:16:07 »
PM me if you're interested in a Phantom PCB with the Teensy and diodes already soldered on! Fully tested and functional.

It'll save you ~2+ hours of work! :thumb:

What's the fun in that? More work = more fun when building a keyboard.
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline kebby

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 09:51:28 »
Why a proxy anyway? Isn't just sending them out overseas individually an option at all? Sure, people have to pay customs fees but that's what they do even with Massdrop, mechanicalkeyboards.com orders etc.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 10:00:52 »
Why a proxy anyway? Isn't just sending them out overseas individually an option at all? Sure, people have to pay customs fees but that's what they do even with Massdrop, mechanicalkeyboards.com orders etc.
Shipping cost for one kit to an international destination from the US will probably run 30-50 USD, depending if you choose first class or priority. Most people aren't willing to pay that.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline andysun

« Reply #116 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 11:34:13 »
Shipping cost for one kit to an international destination from the US will probably run 30-50 USD, depending if you choose first class or priority. Most people aren't willing to pay that.

Well, as a European, I'm used to those costs when importing stuff overseas with that size/weight, so, I don't think that would be an issue for not shipping to Europe. Europeans would just have to bite the bullet if they wanted the kit.

If all sellers had that kind of thought, we would never be able to get anything out of GBs/american vendors

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #117 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 11:41:03 »

Well, as a European, I'm used to those costs when importing stuff overseas with that size/weight, so, I don't think that would be an issue for not shipping to Europe. Europeans would just have to bite the bullet if they wanted the kit.

If all sellers had that kind of thought, we would never be able to get anything out of GBs/american vendors

i am willing to ship international to individual buyers, as long as those people are aware of the shipping costs. However, i do not have experience shipping overseas, and i would need a reliable "coach" for doing this. I do not want to get into a situation where i have under-quoted shipping expenses and have to eat the extra cost or ask for more money after the fact. So far, no one has come forward willing to help me with this
« Last Edit: Wed, 23 March 2016, 11:50:18 by roostrc0gburn »

Offline andysun

« Reply #118 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 11:46:26 »

i am willing to ship international to individual buyers, as long as those people are aware of the shipping costs. However, i do not have experience shipping overseas, and i would need a reliable "coach" for doing this. I do not want to get into a situation where i have under-quoted shipping expenses and have to eat the extra cost or as for more money after the fact. So far, no one has come forward willing to help me with this

I understand, and don't get me wrong - I agree it's a bit much for shipping. I think quite a few GBs have fixed shipping costs, no matter the country, but I may be wrong. Maybe someone who has organized such a GB could give a few pointers for future GBs?

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #119 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 14:30:08 »
am i missing something, or is that so-called ansi 1.25 winkey plate actually an ansi 1.5 winkey plate?  if so, i'm glad i looked closer and i'll probably actually buy this.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #120 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 15:33:06 »
am i missing something, or is that so-called ansi 1.25 winkey plate actually an ansi 1.5 winkey plate?  if so, i'm glad i looked closer and i'll probably actually buy this.

are you looking at the most recent renders?

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #121 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 16:04:52 »
maybe not?  i was looking at this in the OP:

with what looks to be a 7u spacebar and three keys to the left and right of the spacebar, i was assuming 1.5u-1u-1.5u.  if i'm wrong, what is the layout of the bottom row there?  sorry if this is a dumb question, but if i'm going to try finally assembling a keyboard, i'd like to make sure it's my preferred layout!

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #122 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 16:08:10 »

are you looking at the most recent renders?
Are the most recent renders the ones after the 3/17 updatr, at the bottom of the OP? If so, the one you have labeled as "ANSI Winkey" does indeed have a 1.50 bottom row. The one labeled "ISO Winkey" has a 1.25 bottom row.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #123 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 16:19:31 »
Are the most recent renders the ones after the 3/17 updatr, at the bottom of the OP? If so, the one you have labeled as "ANSI Winkey" does indeed have a 1.50 bottom row. The one labeled "ISO Winkey" has a 1.25 bottom row.

glad i'm not going crazy!!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #124 on: Wed, 23 March 2016, 17:31:00 »
oh, **** you guys are right. looks like the winkey is still in the ANSI1.5 and the winkey and function have been removed from the ANSI1.25. both ISO layouts show all keys. this is really weird because i just checked the CAD files, and they are correct - they dont look like the renders. i had a friend do those renders, so there may have been some confusion. I'm sorry, I will get it straightened out.

good catch! thank you for checking my work

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #125 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 10:41:04 »
So, just to confirm, there's no 1.5 ansi winkey? I'd kinda like to have that 4th key to the right of the spacebar.  :(
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 13:05:45 »
So, just to confirm, there's no 1.5 ansi winkey? I'd kinda like to have that 4th key to the right of the spacebar.  :(

I'm sorry this is so confusing. That's my bad. I am hoping to get the correct renders up later today or possibly tomorrow.

ANSI 1.5 will not have winkeys. ANSI 1.25 is the layout with 4 keys to the right of the spacebar. the renders do not currently depict this well. Please refer to the layouts in the wiki

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #127 on: Sat, 26 March 2016, 18:25:27 »
bummer, i was hoping for the ANSI 1.5 winkeys.  oh well, good luck with GB, and maybe i'll decide to go for it anyway.  does seem like a really neat keyboard.

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #128 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 07:03:56 »
Quick question - I submitted an order. Never done a GB before, do I pay when you close the GB?

Additionally, I added the switches for my kits - will you automatically calculate that as 2 sets of switches? (I am contemplating jumping on some zealios though...not sure if it's worth twice the cost, though.)

Edit: Bought some 67g zealios...so my order should only include one set of clears. :)
« Last Edit: Mon, 28 March 2016, 07:50:52 by rampantandroid »
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"

Offline Rarabka233

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 22:09:45 »
I just submitted an order for a 7BIT kit.   ;D

Can you tell me what the size keys for the bottom row are so I can be sure to get proper keycaps?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #130 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 23:39:49 »
I just submitted an order for a 7BIT kit.   ;D

Can you tell me what the size keys for the bottom row are so I can be sure to get proper keycaps?

depending on the profile of keycaps you choose, you will need to determine R1-5 for each size, and how you intend to program it. here is the example from the wiki with Round 4 spherical caps.

I have updated renders in OP. sorry everyone for the confusion, and thank you for the feedback. please look them over again and let me know if you find any more errors.

LAST DAY TO ORDER IS FRIDAY 4/1

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 28 March 2016, 23:47:32 »
Quick question - I submitted an order. Never done a GB before, do I pay when you close the GB?

Additionally, I added the switches for my kits - will you automatically calculate that as 2 sets of switches? (I am contemplating jumping on some zealios though...not sure if it's worth twice the cost, though.)

Edit: Bought some 67g zealios...so my order should only include one set of clears. :)

yhpm

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 04:13:03 »
Any blessed soul came forward as euro proxy by any chance?
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 13:30:00 »
know what? i realized i have another goof. i did not put plate type and finish in the order form. here's what we're going to do -

All plates will default to Stainless Steel unless you post here or PM me that you want aluminum plates. I am also going to assume no one will want DA finish, as the "grain finish" is so much better quality. I believe grain is either a #2B or #3 finish. I have a call with the shop today and I will confirm this

here is a good example of industry standard finishes:
http://www.ssina.com/finishes/sheetsamples.html

Offline nathanrosspowell

• * Destiny Supporter
    • nathanrosspowell.com
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 29 March 2016, 14:10:11 »
The 7bit layout is so quirky, I love it. I can't join due to being international but good luck with the GB, roostrc0gburn   :thumb:

Offline Soulpyre

« Reply #135 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 07:31:35 »
Pretty interesting kit design.

Question, I still have some of the Round2 Phantom black PCB's from a few years ago GB. Have there been any changes to the PCB design aside from color since?

Also is there any chance of a matching "Skeleton Keypad" GB in the future?
TX 1800 - 62g Clears
KMAC LE - GON's Nerd PCB 62g Clears
KPAD - 62g Clears
KBT Race - Browns, Ducky Shine 4 - Browns

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 12:14:25 »
Pretty interesting kit design.

Question, I still have some of the Round2 Phantom black PCB's from a few years ago GB. Have there been any changes to the PCB design aside from color since?

Also is there any chance of a matching "Skeleton Keypad" GB in the future?

great questions. i dont know about the pcb, as i only have the "TEEL" version in hand (the one from mechanicalkeyboards.com) but i think they all use bpiphany's design and layout. you can compare pictures of the one posted in OP to the pictures in the wiki

you're not the first person to ask about a "skeleton keypad" i think it might be a nice addition, but i dont have a pcb design. might take me a few months to work one up, and another couple months to get a group buy going. honestly, there are a lot of great little keypads and media pads right now. none of them are "skeleton" type, but if i could get some one to collaborate on the pcbs, it would be really easy.

Offline Mrs. Butter

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 30 March 2016, 14:12:31 »
Still bummed out there's no proxy for Europe. The 7bit lay-out would have been a no-brainer. Gl on this GB!
Silent RF 87u / CM Novatouch / Leopold FC660c

Offline duras

« Reply #138 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 13:16:41 »
Massdrop just started a drop for aluminum cone feet https://www.massdrop.com/buy/anodized-cnc-aluminum-cone-feet

Offline jolejo

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 15:03:50 »
I would buy one too if you could find a way to send to canada ;)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #140 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 15:15:10 »
Massdrop just started a drop for aluminum cone feet https://www.massdrop.com/buy/anodized-cnc-aluminum-cone-feet

the backplate has two 3mm holes for feet. can anyone confirm that the massdrop feet have a 3m screw? that's what GON uses, anyway

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #141 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 15:21:49 »

the backplate has two 3mm holes for feet. can anyone confirm that the massdrop feet have a 3m screw? that's what GON uses, anyway

I like using carriage bolts, but that's me
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #142 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 15:30:30 »

I noticed a comment that mentioned 5mm screws.
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 15:34:16 »

got a link?

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #144 on: Thu, 31 March 2016, 15:47:42 »

got a link?

Not sure what was meant by "Here's a guess", as it doesn't really fit the context of the discussion. Maybe he was trying to match feet, they look the same. I'm sure Yanbo will be along to clarify soon enough. I may be wrong. I'll watch this and fix it if it is wrong and no one beats me to it.

https://www.massdrop.com/buy/anodized-cnc-aluminum-cone-feet/talk/390154
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline Rarabka233

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 02:54:22 »
Is it too late to modify my order?  I wanted to add a few things.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 04:16:46 »
Q: Is it possible to get Teensies oversea?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 08:52:39 »

FalbaTech sells them for 20,00€ from Poland.

in memoriam

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #148 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 09:34:11 »

FalbaTech sells them for 20,00€ from Poland.
Much obliged sir.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #149 on: Fri, 01 April 2016, 10:52:58 »
Is it too late to modify my order?  I wanted to add a few things.

got your pm, updated your order. let me know if there is anything else