Author Topic: [GB] Phantom-based "Skeleton" Keyboard Kits - GB COMPLETE  (Read 100185 times)

Offline TerryMathews

Re: [GB] Phantom-based "Skeleton" Keyboard Kits - ORDERING PARTS
« Reply #250 on: Wed, 25 May 2016, 20:36:37 »
Terry - what case is that?

No idea. I picked it up from feng's closeout sale.

Offline axtran

« Reply #251 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 06:36:17 »
Sounds like awesome progress on the GB :)

Sent from my iPhone
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #252 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 13:06:45 »
USB port as promised. I cut out a snug space to fit a mini-B breakout board, cut down a USB cable and soldered the wires to the breakout board and plugged the other end into the Teensy. (Also, put a piece of electrical tape on the bottom of the breakout to avoid short against the metal base plate.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #253 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 13:58:11 »
USB port as promised. I cut out a snug space to fit a mini-B breakout board, cut down a USB cable and soldered the wires to the breakout board and plugged the other end into the Teensy. (Also, put a piece of electrical tape on the bottom of the breakout to avoid short against the metal base plate.

ah. breakout mounted to the bottom plate. i would guess that your wooden layer is at least 5/8"?

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #254 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 15:10:09 »

ah. breakout mounted to the bottom plate. i would guess that your wooden layer is at least 5/8"?

It's actually screwed up into the wood. The wood is 1/2" in height

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #255 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 15:29:05 »

hm, i see. did you use standoffs on your teensy? or just soldered direct to the phantom?

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #256 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 15:39:04 »

hm, i see. did you use standoffs on your teensy? or just soldered direct to the phantom?

Soldered directly to the Phantom

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #257 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 19:41:56 »
I have seen someone post that they didn't even use wires to solder the teensy - they just made solder bridges (but then needed a USB connector with no plastic covering on it due to clearance issues.)

I really am thinking about trying to get the board down to a thickness that I can buy my own 1/2" standoffs. I think I can do it - my plan has been to either butcher cheap USB cables and use a breakout board, or to just buy the USB plugs and make my own connector to the breakout board.

Really wish the teensy just had pads I could easily access for USB (without desoldering the existing USB connector.)
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"

Offline fendent

• * Maker
« Reply #258 on: Thu, 26 May 2016, 21:18:52 »
I have seen someone post that they didn't even use wires to solder the teensy - they just made solder bridges (but then needed a USB connector with no plastic covering on it due to clearance issues.)

I really am thinking about trying to get the board down to a thickness that I can buy my own 1/2" standoffs. I think I can do it - my plan has been to either butcher cheap USB cables and use a breakout board, or to just buy the USB plugs and make my own connector to the breakout board.

Really wish the teensy just had pads I could easily access for USB (without desoldering the existing USB connector.)

The nice part about keeping the USB connector on the Teensy is that when I remove the wood frame the breakout board is screwed into, I only need to unplug it from the Teensy to separate them.

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #259 on: Fri, 27 May 2016, 10:53:11 »
Hey Roostr - what bolts & standoffs are you using? I'm going to order my own 1/2" standoffs I think. The photo with the wood makes it pretty clear to me I can pull off 1/2 with a breakout board :)

Thanks!
Someone apparently went up to the great philosopher Wittgenstein and said "What a lot of morons people back in the Middle Ages must have been to have looked, every morning, at the dawn and to have thought what they were seeing was the Sun going around the Earth, when every school kid knows that the Earth goes around the Sun", to which Wittgenstein replied "Yeah, but I wonder what it would have looked like if the Sun had been going around the Earth?"

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #260 on: Mon, 30 May 2016, 01:47:31 »
All pins on the Teensy are in use. You would have to give up Caps lock or Scroll lock LED to get at an io pin.

PE2 on the ATmega32u4 is available. It's connected to ground via a 1k resistor but it's not a pin that has to be grounded.

Wanted to put an update on this specifically: PE2 does work, and you don't have to remove the resistor just solder to the chip side.

Somehow in the midst of doing this the status LEDs stopped working. I either damaged a trace when I desoldered to move to the new plate and case, or somehow the RGB mod messed with the ground on the status LEDs. Running a jumper wire from the LEDs to a different ground point alleviated the issue and didn't impact RGB operations.

I'll take some more pics tomorrow, the board is up to 20 RGB LEDs. I'm done with it at this point. It's a mess of jumper wires underneath.

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
Re: [GB] Phantom-based "Skeleton" Keyboard Kits - PACKING FOR SHIPMENT
« Reply #261 on: Wed, 01 June 2016, 23:16:13 »
Hey Roostr - what bolts & standoffs are you using? I'm going to order my own 1/2" standoffs I think. The photo with the wood makes it pretty clear to me I can pull off 1/2 with a breakout board :)

Thanks!

you can use any standoff you wish, as long as you can fit a bolt through the 3mm hole. the ones supplied in the kit are coming from McMaster Carr, same as the bolts.

All pins on the Teensy are in use. You would have to give up Caps lock or Scroll lock LED to get at an io pin.

PE2 on the ATmega32u4 is available. It's connected to ground via a 1k resistor but it's not a pin that has to be grounded.

Wanted to put an update on this specifically: PE2 does work, and you don't have to remove the resistor just solder to the chip side.

Somehow in the midst of doing this the status LEDs stopped working. I either damaged a trace when I desoldered to move to the new plate and case, or somehow the RGB mod messed with the ground on the status LEDs. Running a jumper wire from the LEDs to a different ground point alleviated the issue and didn't impact RGB operations.

I'll take some more pics tomorrow, the board is up to 20 RGB LEDs. I'm done with it at this point. It's a mess of jumper wires underneath.

i thought your ground looked fishy. do you have a wiring diagram for the setup? i saw you had this listed on r/mechmarket already. did it sell?

- ALSO, UPDATE -

we have plates. I will be working on packing and shipping these out through next week

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #262 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 07:40:53 »

i thought your ground looked fishy. do you have a wiring diagram for the setup? i saw you had this listed on r/mechmarket already. did it sell?

Vcc on the LED strip to Vcc on the Teensy (the back pin that is unused)
Gnd on the LED strip to Gnd on the Teensy (back)
Din on the LED strip to PE2 on the Teensy (grabbing it off the 1k SMD resistor)

Only other wiring work I did was connecting the cathode of LED A to a nearby ground.

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #263 on: Thu, 02 June 2016, 10:32:16 »
you can use any standoff you wish, as long as you can fit a bolt through the 3mm hole. the ones supplied in the kit are coming from McMaster Carr, same as the bolts.

- ALSO, UPDATE -

we have plates. I will be working on packing and shipping these out through next week

Show Image

What are the current bolts you're using (size and thread rate)?

Also, will you be confirming shipping addresses? I know my paypal somehow had an old address on it still. (sent you my current address in PM.)
« Last Edit: Thu, 02 June 2016, 10:35:48 by rampantandroid »

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #264 on: Mon, 06 June 2016, 22:43:21 »
just a quick update, have all the parts now just sorting and packing everything. the LEDs i ordered were cheap, and so was QC. some of the colors came jumbled up, so I am testing every LED before I add them to the kits. for those of you who ordered packs of LEDs (100's) i cannot test them all, so if you end up having different colors in your packs just let me know and I will send replacements along.

To mitigate this, I will throw a few extra in every pack of 100 just to be sure. idk if this will be a big problem or not, but the few i have tested are roughly 1 in 10 are the wrong color... :/ thanks obama

shipping the first orders this week!

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #265 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 16:03:40 »
just a quick update, have all the parts now just sorting and packing everything. the LEDs i ordered were cheap, and so was QC. some of the colors came jumbled up, so I am testing every LED before I add them to the kits. for those of you who ordered packs of LEDs (100's) i cannot test them all, so if you end up having different colors in your packs just let me know and I will send replacements along.

To mitigate this, I will throw a few extra in every pack of 100 just to be sure. idk if this will be a big problem or not, but the few i have tested are roughly 1 in 10 are the wrong color... :/ thanks obama

shipping the first orders this week!

\0/ Yay!

Offline Skysophrenic

« Reply #266 on: Tue, 07 June 2016, 17:52:18 »
Will there be a second round of this? Or extras?
« Last Edit: Wed, 08 June 2016, 15:52:23 by Skysophrenic »

Offline rampantandroid

Will there be tracking numbers sent to everyone as you ship these?

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #268 on: Sat, 11 June 2016, 14:30:11 »
yes, i will update all the paypal invoices with tracking.

sorry for the delays, i was unable to ship any this week due to work and family stuff. I will put as much time as i can into it this weekend. all the parts are basically sorted and ready for packing. it's been really tedious counting out all these little screws, but i basically just need to put the orders together, pack them up, and take them to the post office. i will try to get as many as i can out next week

Offline rampantandroid

yes, i will update all the paypal invoices with tracking.

sorry for the delays, i was unable to ship any this week due to work and family stuff. I will put as much time as i can into it this weekend. all the parts are basically sorted and ready for packing. it's been really tedious counting out all these little screws, but i basically just need to put the orders together, pack them up, and take them to the post office. i will try to get as many as i can out next week

Awesome - thanks for the update & work!

Offline axtran

« Reply #270 on: Sun, 12 June 2016, 22:59:51 »
Absolutely amazing effort for a first-time Group Buy leader, roostrc0gburn! Kudos to you!

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #271 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 09:30:02 »
To those of you building this: the updated code for Phantom was added to the QMK mainline branch last night. It's a nice alternative to TMK.

The code will compile and run as-is for anyone using the ANSI125 layout, adapting for ISO or Winkeyless or 7bit would not be difficult.

It also contains the RGB support. A picture is included showing where to wire Din on the RGB strip to so that you don't have to sacrifice one of the status indicators.

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #272 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 15:53:50 »
I was planning on using the Easy AVR firmware from metalliqaz. Is there a reason to use TMK or QMK instead?

Offline TerryMathews

« Reply #273 on: Mon, 13 June 2016, 20:36:30 »
I was planning on using the Easy AVR firmware from metalliqaz. Is there a reason to use TMK or QMK instead?

Arguably better support for macros and multiple layers. Support for RGB underlighting via WS2812 LED strips if you want to go that route.

Offline axtran

Anyone have a link to a nice source for the WS2812 strips?

Sent from my iPhone

Offline TerryMathews

Anyone have a link to a nice source for the WS2812 strips?

Sent from my iPhone

I get mine from eBay. You want 30/M without waterproof coating WS2812B. Comes in white and black PCB color .

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #276 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 19:08:00 »
Any new info on the shipments?  :)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #277 on: Mon, 20 June 2016, 20:46:13 »

hey guys, i was away with the fam for fathers day weekend so didnt get much more done. came home today to work more on it and discovered that i have mis-packed a couple orders (doh) so i have to unpack and resort those. sorry for the delays - i am still trying to get an effective method down. i would like to just dedicate a whole day and bust these all out, but my schedule has not really permitted it. i was hoping to have everything shipped by now, and i am sorry i have not met the timeline i had in place. i will work hard to get everything packed and sent out by this weekend.

thanks everyone for your patience. i will try to keep the order list updated as i go

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #278 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 07:14:21 »

hey guys, i was away with the fam for fathers day weekend so didnt get much more done. came home today to work more on it and discovered that i have mis-packed a couple orders (doh) so i have to unpack and resort those. sorry for the delays - i am still trying to get an effective method down. i would like to just dedicate a whole day and bust these all out, but my schedule has not really permitted it. i was hoping to have everything shipped by now, and i am sorry i have not met the timeline i had in place. i will work hard to get everything packed and sent out by this weekend.

thanks everyone for your patience. i will try to keep the order list updated as i go

Just breathe, man. It really hasn't been long in GB time. Just think my latest won't be shipping until mid September since the keys haven't been produced yet. Getting really cool stuff like this takes time...almost like a fine wine or whiskey.
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline Data

« Reply #279 on: Tue, 21 June 2016, 07:17:57 »
Packing & shipping is always the hardest part for some reason.   :(

Take your time and don't get burnt out. 

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #280 on: Sun, 26 June 2016, 21:06:24 »
thanks for the understanding.

quick update - made some more progress this weekend. after straightening out those orders that i mis-packed and finding that i missed hardware on a couple others, we are back on track. i have the first 8 packed and ready to ship. i was hoping for a nice round 10, but at least this is the first third of them. the order form is updated, and i will ship out the packed ones this week, hopefully tomorrow.

thanks again for your patience

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #281 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 16:39:45 »
My phantom has landed!  ;D
Probably won't finish it tonight, unfortunately. Pics will follow.
You da man, roostr!  :thumb:
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)
[Incoming: Polaris (?) |  KBDFans 8X Mk II (v2 Tealios)]

Offline G-Dubs

« Reply #282 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 19:06:10 »
I just got my package and everything's intact and accounted for. Thanks for all the hard work, Roostr! :thumb:
KUL ES-87 MX Red || KBP V60 Matias Linear || KBP V60 Matias Quiet Click || Varmilo VA87MR Gateron Black || Leopold FC210P MX Black

Offline empnero

« Reply #283 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 21:05:14 »
Came home to a nice big box containing the Phantom. Very carefully packed and in great shape. Looking forward to getting started over the weekend. Very pleasant surprise and, since soldering is my zen place, something to occupy me after a truly miserable week at work. Thanks Roostr!
Ducky Zero 2108SZ MX Browns (x2)

Ergodox Infinity MX Clears, white LEDS, Black translucent legends/blank black modifiers

Winkeyless b.mini 65g Zealios, white LEDs, Frosted case/RBG Diffuser. White caps/GMK Electric Bluegaloo Modifiers + matching b.pad.

OLKB Atomic w/ blue gats.

Razer Orbweaver Stealth gamepad, Razer Orange switches (similar to MX browns)

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #284 on: Thu, 30 June 2016, 22:50:12 »
hey guys! glad you got your packages! i forgot to send out tracking numbers... doh!
i'll go do that right now

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #285 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 00:55:37 »
ok, tracking sent via paypal for the first 8. More to come this week, i hope. i included an extra screw for everyone because one small bump and you're gonna have a bad time.

I also included 470 ohm resistors for the kit LEDs. These are just a convenience. You dont have to use them, but i highly suggest you use some resistor (~1k is common) if you are using yellow LEDs. Those are 2V LEDs, and if you overdrive them, they will look reddish-orange and burn out in a couple minutes. be careful, kids!

Offline axtran

« Reply #286 on: Fri, 01 July 2016, 22:54:39 »
Great pace :) Keep it up!

Awesome to see GBs do well, considering there's just some plagued by delays.

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #287 on: Wed, 06 July 2016, 04:19:59 »
Envious of people getting theirs  :D

Hoping to get mine before the Seattle meetup this month to bring them with, but it's looking like that won't happen.

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #288 on: Mon, 11 July 2016, 19:31:37 »
Finally got around to finishing mine this past weekend. Super pleased with all of it. Well done, roostr. You da man!  :thumb:

142005-0
Collection:
More
E6.5 (Lubed 50g MX Blacks) | Preonic (55g MX Clears) | CA66 (Zealios V2 65g) | budget96 (MX Red) | Infinity 60% (Zealios 78g) | Phantom TKL (Gateron Black) | MiniVan (Zealios 78g) | Helix (?)

Offline 00zeRO

• mechanicalkeyboards.com
  • * Commercial Vendor
  • The 00verseer of Vault 77
    • Mechanical Keyboards
« Reply #289 on: Tue, 12 July 2016, 07:04:13 »
Finally got around to finishing mine this past weekend. Super pleased with all of it. Well done, roostr. You da man!  :thumb:

(Attachment Link)

Love that Esc key...hehe
Daily Driver: Typist A w/Midnight Dawn | Kailh BOX Clicks

Junktown 2: Now on eBay!

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #290 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 11:24:24 »
hi everyone - quick update!

i have a few more orders packed up, ready to go out today or tomorrow. maybe i can add a couple more if i find the time. It's my goal to have all the shipping wrapped up by the end of the month

thanks for everyone's patience, and I am very happy to see the results that some of you have already posted! awesome

Offline duras

« Reply #291 on: Wed, 13 July 2016, 21:46:02 »
hi everyone - quick update!

i have a few more orders packed up, ready to go out today or tomorrow. maybe i can add a couple more if i find the time. It's my goal to have all the shipping wrapped up by the end of the month

thanks for everyone's patience, and I am very happy to see the results that some of you have already posted! awesome

Awesome, my switches just arrived from massdrop so perfect timing.

Offline rampantandroid

[GB] Phantom-based "Skeleton" Keyboard Kits - PACKING FOR SHIPMENT
« Reply #292 on: Mon, 18 July 2016, 23:56:27 »
Thanks for getting the plates out, Roostr. I haven't had a chance to start building yet, but everything save one plate looks good so far.

Edit: missing 11 screws per board too.

Has anyone else had plates with bad cuts? To be specific - about half of the holes actually line up with the top plate, the other half are low, as if the plate moved during the cut. One hole isn't even cut the whole way through:

« Last Edit: Tue, 19 July 2016, 00:25:07 by rampantandroid »

Offline Ephemeral

« Reply #293 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 08:06:49 »
Edit: missing 11 screws per board too.

Has anyone else had plates with bad cuts? To be specific - about half of the holes actually line up with the top plate, the other half are low, as if the plate moved during the cut. One hole isn't even cut the whole way through:

That's a shame. I didn't have any issues with my plate. I'm sure Roostr will get you sorted.
I was also missing 9 screws, though.
Collection:
More

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #294 on: Tue, 19 July 2016, 12:00:48 »
yikes. sounds like i messed up the screws. I will send out more to everyone whose packages have already shipped.

the plate issues are a bummer to see. i have had other comments regarding the slag spray from the laser. i noticed this when i picked up the plates and made a comment to the guy at the shop. he said most of it will clean up with some alcohol on a rag. the hole mis-alignment and issues with the cut are manufacturing defects that should be replaced. if anyone else has issues like this, please send me info and i will get replacements made

i also shipped a few order on friday on my way out of town, but i did not have a chance to get tracking numbers posted. sounds like most people have received theirs, since RA was among them. I will add tracking to the paypal invoices this evening when i get home
« Last Edit: Tue, 19 July 2016, 12:09:26 by roostrc0gburn »

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #295 on: Wed, 20 July 2016, 01:39:26 »
The slag spray was initially a "what the heck?" thought...but then thought about it being laser cut and my reaction was "meh, it'll be scratched anyway." Thinking of whether I want to look into painting or somehow finishing the metal before assembling the switches - what steel is used for this?

I have the diodes and controller on the first board, need to flash it and then manually test all switches to make sure I'm doing this right. Honestly, the worst part will probably be making sure I'm doing the cherry stabilizers right. Is lubing the stabs a must? Is clipping them advised?

I'm able to get the teensy practially flat on the phantom - what I've done is this:
Bought mini USB plugs from digikey (part # 36-935-ND); I also got some 4 conductor ribbon cable as well. I'm making short little jumper cables that go from the teensy to a sparkfun breakout board that I'll need to drill holes for later. Since the cables I'm making will run from one secured point to another, my concern with strain relief isn't too high - shrink tubing will work fine I think. I'll take pictures later.

Otherwise, everything so far has been fine.

Offline axtran

« Reply #296 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 01:11:33 »
Honestly, the worst part will probably be making sure I'm doing the cherry stabilizers right. Is lubing the stabs a must? Is clipping them advised?

I would say lubing them with a thick lube (like Krytox 205) and clipping them is a definite must, if you don't like mushy feeling stabilizers.

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #297 on: Tue, 26 July 2016, 06:12:49 »
Honestly, the worst part will probably be making sure I'm doing the cherry stabilizers right. Is lubing the stabs a must? Is clipping them advised?

I would say lubing them with a thick lube (like Krytox 205) and clipping them is a definite must, if you don't like mushy feeling stabilizers.

Per one of the links I'd found on GH, I've grabbed Finish Line Extreme Flouro and it seems to have worked well.
« Last Edit: Tue, 26 July 2016, 06:29:08 by rampantandroid »

Offline onmybikedrunk

• Danny Woods - Industrial Designer
« Reply #298 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 01:54:09 »
I had some cosmetic issues as well.  Thanks for all the info/help roostr but if you're going to be doing re-cuts then I would like one also.  Screw holes aren't a big deal because they'll be covered with hardware, but the indicator lights are gonna bug the **** outta me.  I'm a bit OCD when it comes to that kinda stuff.  I know you didn't personally cause these defects and I hope this doesn't put much strain on you, but I can't help that it bugs me.  I don't know much about laser cutting, and I've tried to research it but haven't been able to come up with much about the staining/scratching/residuals that I have present. 

From what I understand slag or dross is an effect on the edge where heat builds up along the cut (or the HAZ - heat affected zone) and creates a build-up of molten steel right at the edge, which is then chipped, sanded, or buffed away.  The issues I have don't seem to be that... and in my research this is more of an issue with plasma cutting.  All the examples of laser cutting that I saw were flawless on the front side with some residual affect on the back.

That being said I do want to make the solution as easy as possible... What about a re-grain?  Was that too expensive or were you just set on a coated steel?  I wonder if it's possible to do a DIY regrain using a DA Sander or bench-top grinder/buffing wheel and some sandpaper... Thoughts?  I'm not hung up on the coating, I have a pretty sick garage setup and could hit it with a 2-part clear afterwards.  Damn those indicator lights!!

Offline rampantandroid

« Reply #299 on: Sat, 30 July 2016, 02:47:39 »
I had some cosmetic issues as well.  Thanks for all the info/help roostr but if you're going to be doing re-cuts then I would like one also.  Screw holes aren't a big deal because they'll be covered with hardware, but the indicator lights are gonna bug the **** outta me.  I'm a bit OCD when it comes to that kinda stuff.  I know you didn't personally cause these defects and I hope this doesn't put much strain on you, but I can't help that it bugs me.  I don't know much about laser cutting, and I've tried to research it but haven't been able to come up with much about the staining/scratching/residuals that I have present. 

From what I understand slag or dross is an effect on the edge where heat builds up along the cut (or the HAZ - heat affected zone) and creates a build-up of molten steel right at the edge, which is then chipped, sanded, or buffed away.  The issues I have don't seem to be that... and in my research this is more of an issue with plasma cutting.  All the examples of laser cutting that I saw were flawless on the front side with some residual affect on the back.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

That being said I do want to make the solution as easy as possible... What about a re-grain?  Was that too expensive or were you just set on a coated steel?  I wonder if it's possible to do a DIY regrain using a DA Sander or bench-top grinder/buffing wheel and some sandpaper... Thoughts?  I'm not hung up on the coating, I have a pretty sick garage setup and could hit it with a 2-part clear afterwards.  Damn those indicator lights!!

The stuff you're seeing is something you'll also see when torch cutting; the solution is to blast oxygen or an inert gas at high pressure while cutting to prevent it from settling on the thing you're cutting. A diamond stone on a dremel would probably remove most of this.

Being one of the few people with multiple plates in their possession, I'm ALSO seeing a pretty high variance in the switch cut locations from plate to plate; not enough to prevent me from lining switches up with the PCB (I THINK...I only have one finished keyboard. Time will tell...) I was able to make the bad plate work for the mounting holes using a very good floor standing drill press and high speed steel bits...

Plate quality is a bit of a let down for me.

With regards to thickness, I've cut the standoffs/spacers off all of my teensy boards (not easy!) and as a result I'm able to get the teensy boards super close to the Phantom PCB; since I'm putting in USB breakout boards (from Sparkfun) I'm making my own interconnect cables to go from the teensy to the breakout board. In the end, 1/2" standoffs are easily enough clearance. In the front, I can even go shorter.

On an aside...turns out I think MX Clear switches are terrible. Ordered replacement springs from MK along with some Teflon lube.