Author Topic: Spray painting plastic keyboard case?  (Read 5352 times)

Offline portbaron

Spray painting plastic keyboard case?
« on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 20:47:03 »
I'm getting some unpainted cherry 1800 cases and was wondering if anybody knows what kind of spray paint would work best on these? Kind of thinking a clear coat might be a good idea too. I've seen some pictures somewhere that someone did but I can't find them now.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline the-slunk

Re: Spray painting plastic keyboard case?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 20:50:40 »
I'm getting some unpainted cherry 1800 cases and was wondering if anybody knows what kind of spray paint would work best on these? Kind of thinking a clear coat might be a good idea too. I've seen some pictures somewhere that someone did but I can't find them now.
I think spray paint may end up leaving it a tad sticky to the touch? You can always look into plasti-dip too, which I think they make in a spray can now.

Alternatively, I believe there is some clear coat type material they make in sheets like a sticker, that may be better for handling.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Offline portbaron

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 21:08:32 »
Ya stickiness is kind of a worry, but don't they have some outdoor stuff for chairs or something that isn't sticky? Or sandable?
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline OldIsNew

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 23:04:32 »
I've done a few cases and have had pretty good luck so far with Rust-oleum Universal  Paint & Primer and Valspar Paint for Plastics:

204099-0                    204101-1

The Rust-oleum may be a little tougher, I've had one IBM Model M case that I painted with the Valspar start to chip a little after about a year. So far no issues with the Rust-oleum.

Offline bakageta

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 21 September 2018, 23:35:53 »
I'd go with vinyl dye, personally. The color selection isn't great, but it doesn't change the finish at all. You can see a post about using it for painting Nerf blasters here: http://nerfhaven.com/forums/topic/8222-vinyl-dye/

If you need more colors, I've had fairly good experiences with Krylon Fusion when painting various plastics. It's not as good as vinyl dye, but it's much better than a regular spray paint. It doesn't wear the best, though, it doesn't penetrate the plastic deep enough.
« Last Edit: Fri, 21 September 2018, 23:38:45 by bakageta »

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 22 September 2018, 02:35:44 »
There's a long thread on case painting you might like to read :)
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod