geekhack Community > Keyboards

Unicomp keyboards are underrated

<< < (2/3) > >>

TWX:

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Tue, 06 February 2024, 08:06:11 ---
--- Quote from: TWX on Sun, 04 February 2024, 18:44:50 ---
already unhappy listening

--- End quote ---

The floss mod will provide some slight relief.

--- End quote ---

yeah, already did that and everything.  Still wasn't enough in the cube farm unfortunately.

I did get some rather strange looks as I was prying my keyboard apart at my desk and cutting lengths of that superfloss to put into the springs.

ClaireAbitbol:
I was considering getting a Unicomp for a while (still might), but the truth is it just doesn't have the versatility and customisability of MX boards, I wanted to get a Mini M in the old beige and grey color scheme but it seems you're limited to only a rather ugly light grey caps on a black case color scheme.
Also from what I've heard they have some quality issues, from when I was looking into them they seem to have fixed some but more recent reviews seemed to also have some issues with the build quality, I can't speak on that with certainty but that's definitely one thing that makes me hesitant.
Also the fact that you're limited to full size, TKL or battleship is another drawback, though if they come out with an unsaver model it'd be hard for me to resist.

Rhienfo:

--- Quote from: ClaireAbitbol on Mon, 12 February 2024, 16:40:58 ---I was considering getting a Unicomp for a while (still might), but the truth is it just doesn't have the versatility and customisability of MX boards, I wanted to get a Mini M in the old beige and grey color scheme but it seems you're limited to only a rather ugly light grey caps on a black case color scheme.
Also from what I've heard they have some quality issues, from when I was looking into them they seem to have fixed some but more recent reviews seemed to also have some issues with the build quality, I can't speak on that with certainty but that's definitely one thing that makes me hesitant.
Also the fact that you're limited to full size, TKL or battleship is another drawback, though if they come out with an unsaver model it'd be hard for me to resist.

--- End quote ---

Yeah that is one of the only issues with buckling spring boards, there is little customisability. There are different caps on unicomps website where you can get blanks with different coloured mods, rgb mods for layout compat (there is also of compatibility like supers as well) and also full keysets with apl sublegends.

fohat.digs:

--- Quote from: Rhienfo on Mon, 12 February 2024, 16:59:15 ---
there is little customisability.

--- End quote ---

Yet there are deeper things you can do. Model Ms use the same boards for ANSI enter, ISO enter, and BAE with accomanying changes to surrounding keys. You can split various keys such as getting extras out of Shifts, breaking numpad Enter and + into 2 parts each, etc, if you are willing to crack it open and bolt-mod it to put it back together.

ClaireAbitbol:

--- Quote from: fohat.digs on Mon, 12 February 2024, 18:31:49 ---Yet there are deeper things you can do. Model Ms use the same boards for ANSI enter, ISO enter, and BAE with accomanying changes to surrounding keys. You can split various keys such as getting extras out of Shifts, breaking numpad Enter and + into 2 parts each, etc, if you are willing to crack it open and bolt-mod it to put it back together.

--- End quote ---
Yeah you can change some stuff about it but it's definitely not close to MX style keyboards, can't really swap the switches or find hundreds of different keycap options, and you're out of luck if you want a more comfortable layout.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version