Author Topic: Group Buy 4 - Interest check for a CAPSLOCK Vim KEY  (Read 4486 times)

Offline gilgam

Group Buy 4 - Interest check for a CAPSLOCK Vim KEY
« on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 04:40:17 »
Hi

i didn't asked 7bit yet (but i'm sure he can read this :-) ) but as a everyday user of Vim i mapped my capslock key as an escape one for vim.
I have already the magnificent vim escape key spherical but a capslock will be very nice.

But how many are we to get one  ?

it'll be a standard one (non spherical unfortunately)

i'd rather get a stepped one as the vim logo will fit nicer on the upper side of the key, if not possible it'll be a left sided vim logo on a green key.
the color scheme will be the same : white on green  

i'll try to make a design but my gimp skills are not so good.

Orders

Gilgam 4
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring
and a few rubber dome/scissors keyboards from Apple/Logitech

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 August 2011, 12:08:55 »
nvm
« Last Edit: Tue, 30 August 2011, 15:35:48 by noodles256 »
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline gilgam

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 04:37:32 »
bump
Realforce 105 FR, HHKB Pro 2 black, 1 Raptor K1 Black Cherry and 1 Raptor K1 Red Cherry , Compag MX 11800  tBrown Cherry, G80-3000 Clear Cherry , G80-1000 Blue Cherry / Ghetto red, Lexmark 1992 SSK Buckling spring, Unicomp 2011 Customizer 102 Buckling spring

Offline grasshopper

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 31 August 2011, 16:33:46 »
As I mentioned in the other thread, I'm definitely interested.

However, I have a question. Are you intending to just remap CAPS LOCK to ESC and effectively have two escape keys, or swap the ESC and CAPS LOCK keys? If it's the latter (which I think is a better idea) then presumably the kit would also have to include a CAPS LOCK labelled key to fit in the ESC position.

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 01 September 2011, 00:33:19 »
Personally I just forgo caps lock altogether, and have two escapes.  I'd be in for at least one vim caps lock if we can get enough interest to make it feasible.

Offline gilgam

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 01 September 2011, 04:59:00 »
Quote from: hashbaz;408529
Personally I just forgo caps lock altogether, and have two escapes.  I'd be in for at least one vim caps lock if we can get enough interest to make it feasible.

So do i

I have a problem with Uppercase accent letter in French though. Caps lock is a must have
Having a capslock key for the function row may be nice but more expensive ...

If you have any interest please tell me how many keys you would like.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 September 2011, 19:43:57 »
I'd be in for one of these at least. This is what I wanted from the last vim group buy. Also, if they could match the Filco profile, that'd rock

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 September 2011, 00:19:57 »
Quote from: daerid;409078
I'd be in for one of these at least. This is what I wanted from the last vim group buy. Also, if they could match the Filco profile, that'd rock

+1.  Not really interested in another spherical vim cap.

Offline grasshopper

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 06:20:47 »
Quote from: hashbaz;408529

I don't use caps lock either. However, I still think it's desirable for a caps lock key to be available because some programs set caps lock to on or off. If you don't have a caps lock key then there's always the danger that caps lock could accidentally be set to on and you'd have no easy way of turning it off.

That being said, it might be possible to fix the problem with key remapping, assuming the PS/2 standard doesn't require caps lock to be a dedicated key. For example you could set up a keymap so that pressing ALT-GR + the Vim key sent a caps lock keycode. Has anyone actually tried this?

Offline DrTrivial

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 18 September 2011, 12:27:59 »
I would be in for two caps lock vim keys if this ever goes through.

Offline dvdhsu

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 21 September 2011, 00:21:37 »
Quote from: grasshopper;418060
I don't use caps lock either. However, I still think it's desirable for a caps lock key to be available because some programs set caps lock to on or off. If you don't have a caps lock key then there's always the danger that caps lock could accidentally be set to on and you'd have no easy way of turning it off.

That being said, it might be possible to fix the problem with key remapping, assuming the PS/2 standard doesn't require caps lock to be a dedicated key. For example you could set up a keymap so that pressing ALT-GR + the Vim key sent a caps lock keycode. Has anyone actually tried this?

You can turn it off easily with a software keyboard.

I would be willing to buy up to three of these.

Offline daerid

• Rossipedia
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 September 2011, 04:25:41 »
Quote from: dvdhsu;419423
I would be willing to buy up to three of these.

Ditto