Author Topic: Which mouse for under $40?  (Read 4243 times)

Offline combataran

Which mouse for under $40?
« on: Wed, 12 February 2014, 23:12:14 »
I'm currently looking at the CMStorm Xornet, Recon, Spawn and the SS Kana Dota 2 Bundle(sharing the cost for this one, brother's getting the digital item code). Looked at the G400s, ugly as sin, guess I'll pass that. I mainly play Dota 2, SC2 and Battlefield 4, am a claw grip user. Which would give me the loudest bang for mu buck? Other suggestions are welcome too.

Cheers.
Cherry G80-1000HFD | CM Storm Spawn | Keypuller.com - Key Caps News & Database

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
Re: Which mouse for under $40?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 01:32:27 »
Xornet is most bang for your buck, although it's probably worth it to pay a little more for the Spawn for the better internals. I'd stay away from the Recon.

Offline combataran

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 01:40:50 »
Why is that?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 02:02:35 »
Why is that?

Because the Spawn/Xornet was Carter's project, he's around on the forum and on our IRC, and he actually knows what he's doing. He's also responsible for the new CM IME3.0 clones coming out soon.

The other mice seem to be mostly just standard gimmicky gaming mice, there's no reason to get one since there are so many better alternatives.

Offline thesentinel

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 February 2014, 22:48:20 »
Thanks to the folks on geekhack, I got a cm storm spawn. Definitely a good idea. It's comfortable, the mousewheel is nice and stiff which is perfect for accuracy, and the mouse itself is also quite accurate. Though I wish there were more choices for DPI settings. 3600, 1800 and 600 are the only options
Keyboards are the only thing keeping me from consuming human flesh.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 02:01:25 »
Though I wish there were more choices for DPI settings. 3600, 1800 and 600 are the only options

Don't get he wrong here but those are the natural optical settings for the Avago ADNS-3090 sensor, is it not?

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 02:38:08 »
Thanks to the folks on geekhack, I got a cm storm spawn. Definitely a good idea. It's comfortable, the mousewheel is nice and stiff which is perfect for accuracy, and the mouse itself is also quite accurate. Though I wish there were more choices for DPI settings. 3600, 1800 and 600 are the only options

Most optical sensors have dpi set in steps like that.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 14 February 2014, 11:22:48 »
Roccat Savu is amazing, rather fingertip grip and around the top of your budget though.

Offline combataran

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 17 February 2014, 05:37:04 »

It says here on the spawn Firmware Info tool, sensor product id 8, sensor firmware 103, mcu firmware rev 28. Should I be downloading any of the firmware updates from the CMStorm site?

Offline dmbr

« Reply #9 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 11:52:37 »
CM Storm Recon or Corsair m40 look like good options in that price range.

Offline yasuo

• spanengan puyeng newbie
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 11:55:35 »
Roccat Lua
Logitech G400s/G300/G100s
Logitech MK220 Colemak DH
SplitSyml by Moz BlacksMx fuk blacks

2/3 8.5pm                                          in de la my september month ya da all get my fukka "fake message"

Offline wetto

• Brazil's Keyboard Enthusiasts Representative
    • Portuguese Mechanical Keyboard Guide
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 11:56:50 »
Why is that?

Because the Spawn/Xornet was Carter's project, he's around on the forum and on our IRC, and he actually knows what he's doing. He's also responsible for the new CM IME3.0 clones coming out soon.

The other mice seem to be mostly just standard gimmicky gaming mice, there's no reason to get one since there are so many better alternatives.

The Recon was also Carter's project. The only ones that weren't his are the Havoc and Reaper. The internals on the Xornet/Spawn/Recon are VERY similar.

Besides, the internals of both CM Storm Alcor and Mizar aren't looking all that good, it's unfortunately a downgrade compared to the other mice he made :(

Edit: The Recon was really Carter's, but the design was modified by other people, so it ended up like that.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2014, 12:27:31 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Soon: CM Storm Quick Fire TK (MX Brown), CM Storm Trigger Z.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline dmbr

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 13:03:16 »
I hope you don't use Mumble...the Spawn causes CPU spikes with it.

Offline wetto

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 18 February 2014, 17:55:50 »
I hope you don't use Mumble...the Spawn causes CPU spikes with it.

I heard the newest software (which was released 24/01/14) fixes that, but who knows...  :rolleyes:

The software is just really that bad.
« Last Edit: Tue, 18 February 2014, 18:53:17 by wetto »
My collection:
More
Mice: Logitech G602, CM Storm Recon, CM Storm Spawn, Razer Naga, Ozone Radon Opto, Corsair M60, Tesoro Gandiva, CM Storm Alcor, Mionix Naos 8200.
Keyboards: Matias Secure Pro, Matias Mini Quiet Pro, custom modded Metadot Das Keyboard Model S Professional Silent (MX Brown, Costar), CM Storm Trigger (MX Brown), Noppoo Choc Mini (MX Red), Tesoro Lobera G5NFL Supreme, CM Storm Devastator.
Boards I don't own anymore: CM Storm Quick Fire Rapid (MX Black), Logitech K800 (Membrane), Logitech G710+ (MX Brown), Thermaltake Meka G-Unit (MX Black), Corsair K70 (MX Red).
Mice I don't own anymore: Logitech G9x MW3, Corsair M65, Logitech G700, Roccat Kone Pure.

Offline boradori007

• I'm trippin bear balls.
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 15:53:23 »
I recommend G100s, it has decent sensor for the price and its light. I personally didn't like the shape but that's just me.

Offline MsYutai

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 02 April 2014, 22:10:41 »
I had the Recon for awhile and also the Spawn, I liked the Recon (the software is better than the Spawn's software), but the shape wasn't for me. It was just a little tall to be palmed for my small hand. I really liked the clickiness of the buttons on the Recon and also the customizable LED color is a nice addition.
CM Storm Quickfire XT - MX Reds

Roccat Kone Pure Optical|Kana v2|Zowie FK|Logitech g500s|Mionix Naos 7000|CM Spawn|Logitech Performance MX

Offline kishagi

• Narcoleptic
« Reply #16 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 20:43:08 »
the spawn had software?

Offline wetto

« Reply #17 on: Thu, 17 April 2014, 20:58:42 »
the spawn had software?

Yes, though it's better to forget the software and only update the firmware (which is on a separate file).

It's god damn awful.
My collection:
More