Author Topic: [IC] Modern M0110  (Read 139313 times)

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
Re: [IC] Modern M0110
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 10:06:41 »
Jeeeeeeeeesus!

I'm so torn on which colour / theme to go for..
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #301 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 11:07:01 »
I want one.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #302 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 12:25:36 »
Show Image

Image credit: janglad

Stunning. I'm really looking forward to this.

« Reply #303 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 12:29:52 »
Any word on the internal depth of the case? I've been scouring for pics or mentions of it but can't find any. My main concern is how adaptable it would be for Bluetooth and if I could tuck away a battery in the case. The original one had plenty of open air under the PCB to stow away a few cells.

Even since before I knew mechanical keyboards as a thing/hobby a wireless M0110 has been my endgame. And in such a weighty thicc metal. I'm moist just in anticipation. The ano aluminum vs cera beige will be a tough call, might have to just spring for both.

This is a gorgeous project, huge kudos guys. Thanks for your involvement in the community.

Offline lorento

• The Eye Key
    • https://www.facebook.com/TheEyeKey/
« Reply #304 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 12:35:40 »
It looks so classic and beautiful
Do something for your keyboard
Artisan of The Eye Key
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/TheEyeKey/
Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/theeyekey/
Discord: https://discord.gg/ey7Enr8sWc

Offline ptiede

« Reply #305 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 13:40:46 »
Any word on the internal depth of the case? I've been scouring for pics or mentions of it but can't find any. My main concern is how adaptable it would be for Bluetooth and if I could tuck away a battery in the case. The original one had plenty of open air under the PCB to stow away a few cells.

Even since before I knew mechanical keyboards as a thing/hobby a wireless M0110 has been my endgame. And in such a weighty thicc metal. I'm moist just in anticipation. The ano aluminum vs cera beige will be a tough call, might have to just spring for both.

This is a gorgeous project, huge kudos guys. Thanks for your involvement in the community.
I'd be a little concerned about the bluetooth even being able to work in this case. You would need to have an opening in the metal by the receiver. If there isn't an opening the signal probably won't be able to penetrate the case. Basically the case will act like a Faraday cage.

Offline sleepybrett

« Reply #306 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 16:22:43 »
If you got a bluetooth board that supported an external antenna you could probably snake it out near the usb port and maybe either cellotape it to the case or leave it hanging.

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #307 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 21:07:52 »
Is that a 7u spacebar?

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #308 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 21:09:06 »

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #309 on: Wed, 07 February 2018, 23:17:47 »
Is that a 7u spacebar?

Yes

I just realized that this is for the case and that it supports 60% pcbs. So I'm guessing that there could be some altering of the bottom row to use a 6.25

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #310 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 12:59:37 »
Hey guys!

As promised here are some pictures of the prototype!! As you can see there's some shipping damage on some parts of the case, predominantly the front. To be clear, this is not how you will get yours :thumb:

While you may not be able to see it well in the pictures because they're quite grainy, the anodising is absolutely sublime. Also, with a brass plate this board types and sounds incredibly great (and I'm not saying that jus because I helped make it). I haven't touched my Moon TKL ever since I got this over a week ago, so that should say it all :D

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #311 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 13:20:54 »
Ooh and sorry that not all keys are aligned there, this is because I used a board with hot swap sockets which aren't all soldered in deep enough  :confused:

Offline dysphorical

• i love anime girls
« Reply #312 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 13:24:33 »
Looks amazing!

« Reply #313 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 14:36:12 »

I'd be a little concerned about the bluetooth even being able to work in this case. You would need to have an opening in the metal by the receiver. If there isn't an opening the signal probably won't be able to penetrate the case. Basically the case will act like a Faraday cage.

Huh. Now I feel a little ashamed that didn't occur to me. I do think I could snake the antenna out next to the USB port and tuck it nicely under the rear lip. Question still stands re: the internal space available.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #314 on: Thu, 08 February 2018, 17:48:41 »
Hey guys!

As promised here are some pictures of the prototype!! As you can see there's some shipping damage on some parts of the case, predominantly the front. To be clear, this is not how you will get yours :thumb:

While you may not be able to see it well in the pictures because they're quite grainy, the anodising is absolutely sublime. Also, with a brass plate this board types and sounds incredibly great (and I'm not saying that jus because I helped make it). I haven't touched my Moon TKL ever since I got this over a week ago, so that should say it all :D

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Wiping drool from mouth.

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #315 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 06:29:50 »

Huh. Now I feel a little ashamed that didn't occur to me. I do think I could snake the antenna out next to the USB port and tuck it nicely under the rear lip. Question still stands re: the internal space available.

You could also just get a PC plate made :P

Offline foxlive

• The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog
« Reply #316 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 15:06:24 »
Really nice prototype! Also, forgive my ignorance, but do we have any idea of when the GB will occure ?  :thumb:

Offline panrc

« Reply #317 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 21:26:05 »
This is great. I'm definitely in for one.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #318 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 22:07:46 »
Really nice prototype! Also, forgive my ignorance, but do we have any idea of when the GB will occure ?  :thumb:
+1, when is this happening!?

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #319 on: Fri, 09 February 2018, 22:33:58 »
It's Lunar New Year soon next week, so no work will get done till March.
« Last Edit: Fri, 09 February 2018, 22:54:45 by nguyenhimself »

Offline DukeMugen

• +1
« Reply #320 on: Wed, 14 February 2018, 22:05:26 »
XDA Oblique will look so classy on this!
let me check my wallet.

Offline g_ken92

« Reply #321 on: Tue, 20 February 2018, 23:08:18 »
bookmarked. been holding off tokyo60 from my buy list to get this instead :drool:

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #322 on: Wed, 21 February 2018, 00:20:31 »
bookmarked. been holding off tokyo60 from my buy list to get this instead :drool:

Same. I'd prefer this over the Tokyo60, at the moment. Especially since it seems pretty much confirmed Tokyo60 will have a round 2 and the poly-carb bottom I would want isn't in round 1.

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #323 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 01:38:59 »
Sorry if this has already been posted but what colours are being offered?

« Reply #324 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 02:00:31 »

I believe anodized silver, anodized space grey, cerakote beige and possibly cerakote black. I'm not positive on the black.

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #325 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 02:11:10 »

I believe anodized silver, anodized space grey, cerakote beige and possibly cerakote black. I'm not positive on the black.
Thanks. I’m feeling space grey on this but after seeing the prototype silver would look so sharp

« Reply #326 on: Thu, 22 February 2018, 09:45:01 »

Thanks. I’m feeling space grey on this but after seeing the prototype silver would look so sharp

I was initially hardcore on the cera beige, but ano silver with white-on-black keys would match the existing apple keyboards so perfectly it's hard to pass up.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #327 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 01:31:33 »
Been a while since I read through the thread, so pardon me if this has been said a million times already, but is this compatible with the Alps64 PCB and Alps switches?

I just got an Alps64 PCB from the recent GB and it would be so dope to have a Modern M0110 with the Orange alps I harvested from an AEK.

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #328 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 07:15:43 »
Been a while since I read through the thread, so pardon me if this has been said a million times already, but is this compatible with the Alps64 PCB and Alps switches?

I just got an Alps64 PCB from the recent GB and it would be so dope to have a Modern M0110 with the Orange alps I harvested from an AEK.

The plate will indeed support ALPS mount and a ALPS64 PCB should work just fine! ALPS stabilisers are another story tho, however we will be open sourcing the plate design so anyone could get their own custom plate cut!!

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #329 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 07:19:30 »
Hey!

First of all sorry for my absence on this thread... There just wasn't much to update on because of CNNY :)

John got some cerakoting done on his prototype and sadly it didn't work out too well. It seems like because the prototype was polished and bead blasted so smooth (which is great for anodising but apparently not for cera), the coating didn't stick properly. We're currently looking into ways we can fix this without driving up the price like crazy.

I have been using my prototype whenever I can and I still enjoy it as much as I did on day one! It types and sounds insanely good and man does it look great!!!

I'm looking forward to updating you guys further :thumb:

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #330 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 14:02:34 »

The plate will indeed support ALPS mount and a ALPS64 PCB should work just fine! ALPS stabilisers are another story tho, however we will be open sourcing the plate design so anyone could get their own custom plate cut!!

That's awesome! I can't wait :D

Hey!

First of all sorry for my absence on this thread... There just wasn't much to update on because of CNNY :)

John got some cerakoting done on his prototype and sadly it didn't work out too well. It seems like because the prototype was polished and bead blasted so smooth (which is great for anodising but apparently not for cera), the coating didn't stick properly. We're currently looking into ways we can fix this without driving up the price like crazy.

I have been using my prototype whenever I can and I still enjoy it as much as I did on day one! It types and sounds insanely good and man does it look great!!!

That's a bit disappointing; hope you're able to work it out. Do you have color samples of the offered colors? The anodized silver in the previous images looks super dope but I'd like to see how the gray one looks as well. Mainly to see if it looks like the Space Gray offered on Macbooks.

« Reply #331 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 14:06:28 »
Hey!

That's a bit disappointing; hope you're able to work it out. Do you have color samples of the offered colors? The anodized silver in the previous images looks super dope but I'd like to see how the gray one looks as well. Mainly to see if it looks like the Space Gray offered on Macbooks.

Yeah, this https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/7vwcuo/m0110_imac_pro_edition_updates/ is a render, but should give you a rough idea. I think they're aiming for decent color matching with the Apple colors. But keep in mind Apple has produced several different tones of dark anodized aluminum and labeled them "space grey." http://i.imgur.com/8lBViBH.jpg

Offline dead_pixel_design

• IIIV is not a Roman Numeral. Positive Vibes.
« Reply #332 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 14:52:08 »
Can you cera better on an unfinished metal? I would think skipping the alu finishing (polish, bead blasting) would bring cost down for the manufacturing of the units intended for Cera

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #333 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 15:45:05 »
Can you cera better on an unfinished metal? I would think skipping the alu finishing (polish, bead blasting) would bring cost down for the manufacturing of the units intended for Cera

Cerakote adheres better over anodizing AND results in a stronger more durable finish. Skipping this to cut costs would be exceedingly short sighted.

« Reply #334 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 15:46:51 »

Cerakote adheres better over anodizing AND results in a stronger more durable finish. Skipping this to cut costs would be exceedingly short sighted.

I never said anything about anodizing. He literally said that was the problem... "It seems like because the prototype was polished and bead blasted so smooth (which is great for anodising but apparently not for cera), the coating didn't stick properly."
« Last Edit: Sun, 25 February 2018, 16:00:37 by dead_pixel_design »

Offline janglad

• * Vendor
  • qoda.studio
    • Clavier.xyz
« Reply #335 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 15:55:40 »

He literally said that was the problem... "It seems like because the prototype was polished and bead blasted so smooth (which is great for anodising but apparently not for cera), the coating didn't stick properly."

Yes, the prototype taken to the cera shop was not anodised (on advice of the guy running the shop). It seems like that actually wasn't the right advice after all, but he says he has little experience with 6 series aluminium. Guns tend to use 7 series which is less porous according to him which should help a lot. 7 series aluminium would both add a lot of unnecessary costs on the CNC part and be complete overkill for a board tho, so I'm not really in favour of switching to that. We're looking into getting some ano'd scrap pieces from our factory on which cera then can be tested.

Even tho it didn't go great, the colour sure did turn out nice tho :) Excuse the really crappy quality but this is all I have on hand atm. It has a really nice texture to it ;)

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #336 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 16:04:37 »

He literally said that was the problem... "It seems like because the prototype was polished and bead blasted so smooth (which is great for anodising but apparently not for cera), the coating didn't stick properly."

Then his shop did something wrong. Most guns are Cerakote over hard anodizing. Works fine. Some will lightly blast the anodizing (if its in poor condition or excessively smooth) to help clean it after degreasing, but removing anodizing to cerakote seems like a bad idea to me. Just finish the surface different.

My guess is they didn't use degreaser to really get it clean first, or they used a super smooth finish. Anodizing should create a porus surface in the alu, which is easier for cerakote to bond to, but pores can easily get filled with machine oil and the like which is why you have to clean the **** out of it first. But worst case even if its smooth, you can just rough the surface lightly before coating.

Would also wanna find out if they used round media, as with cerakote when you blast you want rough media so you etch not polish.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #337 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 17:44:21 »
Hey!

Yeah, this https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/7vwcuo/m0110_imac_pro_edition_updates/ is a render, but should give you a rough idea. I think they're aiming for decent color matching with the Apple colors. But keep in mind Apple has produced several different tones of dark anodized aluminum and labeled them "space grey." http://i.imgur.com/8lBViBH.jpg

Ahh, yeah. I forgot I saw that when it was posted. Thanks for the link! And I actually didn't know they called all those variants Space Gray. I would be most interested in the variant on the bottom right which looks very similar to the macbook pro 2016 space gray.

Yes, the prototype taken to the cera shop was not anodised (on advice of the guy running the shop). It seems like that actually wasn't the right advice after all, but he says he has little experience with 6 series aluminium. Guns tend to use 7 series which is less porous according to him which should help a lot. 7 series aluminium would both add a lot of unnecessary costs on the CNC part and be complete overkill for a board tho, so I'm not really in favour of switching to that. We're looking into getting some ano'd scrap pieces from our factory on which cera then can be tested.

Even tho it didn't go great, the colour sure did turn out nice tho :) Excuse the really crappy quality but this is all I have on hand atm. It has a really nice texture to it ;)

Show Image

That looks really nice! Really difficult to decide between ano or cera :\

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #338 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 17:52:22 »

Show Image

Wow, that color really does look awesome!

« Reply #339 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 17:53:43 »

Show Image

I'm moist. Looks like I'll have to be getting two.

Offline dantambok

« Reply #340 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 18:30:04 »
Wow that looks really awesome. Wish I can afford one when this runs :(
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

« Reply #341 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 18:35:44 »

Still no date I don't think. Start saving now! I've been putting $50 aside from every paycheck since I first saw the IC thread.

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #342 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 18:38:17 »

Still no date I don't think. Start saving now! I've been putting $50 aside from every paycheck since I first saw the IC thread.

That's smart. I should have been doing that =/

Offline smithyithy

• a l p s
« Reply #343 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 14:28:07 »
Janglad - just a quick thought while I was looking at the images on the first page..

As this is only being made with the blocked corners, would it be better to have the corresponding corners on the plate be 'blocked' too? When I got a plate cut for my Tina build, I left the corners solid as the case has corner blockers like this and thus wouldn't be able to use those cutouts anyway.
KBD75; Alps64 trio; some other stuff

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #344 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 00:04:08 »

I was initially hardcore on the cera beige, but ano silver with white-on-black keys would match the existing apple keyboards so perfectly it's hard to pass up.

Yeah, that's my favorite part about this case: You can either go retro Apple with the cerokote beige or full-on modern Apple with anodized silver, or hell why not gray to fit the new iMac Pro.

I mean, I'm still waiting to see what cerakote gray will look like IRL, but so far so very promising.

Offline online

« Reply #345 on: Thu, 01 March 2018, 01:38:17 »

I wanna know this too. I love to make this my bluetooth daily keyboard!

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #346 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 18:50:20 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 March 2018, 21:30:53 by jimirolln »

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #347 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 19:00:59 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 March 2018, 21:30:30 by jimirolln »

« Reply #348 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 19:10:10 »
i really like the idea of the throw back...but if you are not going to use the original m1001 layout...your just knocking of the hhkb and shooting up the bezels with roids...some people might be into that i guess tho...i would like to suggest the og layout in a modern case like the chiwi...i would buy that kit for two ish...i don't suggest packaging the entire kit as the enthusiast willing to fork out for a project like this will want to source there own switches and keycaps...love the idea tho...positive vibes

i like the throw back idea...but if you don't use the original m0110 layout you are just cloning the hhkb and juicing the bezels...the original layout in a modern case like the chiwi would get me on the hype train...i will say i'd prefer to see the kit contain just the case/plate, pcb, and stabs so i would be able to source my own switches and caps...love the idea...hope you succeed

Really.. JimiTrolln..? I feel like you made your point the first time. But positive vibes though.

Offline jimirolln

« Reply #349 on: Sat, 03 March 2018, 19:14:59 »
« Last Edit: Mon, 05 March 2018, 21:30:16 by jimirolln »