Author Topic: [IC] GMK Olivia | Launching 3/28  (Read 55730 times)

Offline skozz

Re: [IC] GMK Olivia
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 03:02:31 »
I'm totally in, I was waiting for this set. Probably I will take it with the EU proxy if there is one.

Thank you!

Offline Jae-3soteric

• https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCAIHiFKJt69HNad6r
    • Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 03:19:33 »
Looks great Olivia!! I love the colours. My only reservation is the basic ISO keys not being in the base set - worries me that I’d join and end up with a set that is unusable if the addon pack doesn’t make MOQ

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline InvidiousIgnoramus

« Reply #52 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 04:05:45 »
It begins, hihihi. <2
I long for the day when I find a beamspring. (At a not insane price)

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #53 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 04:12:33 »
Please include the 6u center-stemmed spacebar in both the base kit and add-ons for compatibility with the incredibly popular Realforce 87U and HHKB (and the less popular Infinity 60%). This is a must have in modern GMK sets.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 March 2018, 04:21:37 by Wetherbee »

Offline roosta

• o o f.
« Reply #54 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 05:19:57 »
Looks really good! Been trying to find a GMK set that appeals to me and also isn't secondhand, this might just be the one.
Pok3r w/ 62g Zealios, DZ60 w/ 65g Zealios, XMIT Hall Effect, Minivan w/ Gateron Yellows, Quickfire Rapid-i w/ MX Browns, Let's Split w/ MX Clears, etc...

Offline Muiju

« Reply #55 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 07:07:53 »
I’m in
its yo girl

LZ CLSm | mech27v2 | DC60 | E7-V1 |  x1.1

lubed filmed Tealios <3

Offline Ricinco

« Reply #56 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 07:31:42 »
I love that this has ortho compatibility. Is there any chance of having the blank rose gold keys in the extras kit be convex?

Offline avid

« Reply #57 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 07:49:16 »
$45 extra for ISO?

You can do ISO with just R3 1u, R4 1u, ISO enter, Shift. But instead we have 4 keys for the same spot and the <2 key which doesn't really have any functionality. My suggestion would be to move 4 ISO keys to basekit, and move any combination of the keys below:

In ISO, the extra 2,3 and left to "1" and 2 different R3 is not needed.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 March 2018, 08:16:34 by avid »

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #58 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 08:39:47 »
100% in. Cannot wait for this.

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 08:43:12 »
Every keyset IC needs a person wanting a different profile, let me be yours:

Can we have this in SA please?  :-*

Offline jahallen

« Reply #60 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 08:46:26 »
This is going to be the set of the year! Can’t wait. <2

Offline jihadu

« Reply #61 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 08:47:10 »

jk

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #62 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 08:49:31 »

Sounds like a job for you Oblotzky!!

I still can’t wait to see a DSS set...

Offline olivia

« Reply #63 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 09:11:35 »
Looking at CP in front of me, I think it's too white for the overall feel. Maybe choose the more cream one (L9?) like in the render with Rama's X?

I've been looking at pictures of Stormtrooper (CP) online, and it seems to look more creamy depending on different lights.

Once I get the color samples from GMK I'll be able to compare a little better, currently I only have Pristine (L9) which I find a little too yellow. If you have a CP set, do you mind letting me know which picture is more representative?

Offline frostbyte-gaming

« Reply #64 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 09:13:14 »

Finally someone else who gets it. Needs more SA <2.

Offline koduh

« Reply #65 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 09:17:41 »

You are late to the meme game Oblotzkey bro. :))

Would you consider running this in DCS? GMK is too thick for my liking.

Offline olivia

« Reply #66 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 09:19:58 »
Please include the 6u center-stemmed spacebar in both the base kit and add-ons for compatibility with the incredibly popular Realforce 87U and HHKB (and the less popular Infinity 60%). This is a must have in modern GMK sets.

I see what I can do :) I have both of those boards, it would be nice to support them too.

I love that this has ortho compatibility. Is there any chance of having the blank rose gold keys in the extras kit be convex?

I had no clue that GMK offered 1u convex keys  :eek: I'll see how much it bumps the price :D

$45 extra for ISO?

You can do ISO with just R3 1u, R4 1u, ISO enter, Shift. But instead we have 4 keys for the same spot and the <2 key which doesn't really have any functionality. My suggestion would be to move 4 ISO keys to basekit, and move any combination of the keys below:

Show Image

Show Image

Thank you so much for your suggestion, I'm a bit unfamiliar with ISO layouts so your feedback helps a lot! My aim is to concentrate interest in the ISO + 40% + alt colors for the extras because of the high MOQ. Unfortunately it does mean that the kit will cost more than just a solo ISO kit :(

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 09:29:04 »
$45 extra for ISO?

Show Image

Show Image

No. It's $140 for a kit that supports the most popular layouts and pleases the most people (inc. some novelty 1U keys for the WKL/HHKB users), and $45 to accommodate less common layouts.

The designer has carefully thought about this division in kits, and bundled ISO, ortholinear and "boring spacebars and arrow keys" into it's own kit, and perhaps leaned slightly towards giving HHKB, 60% and 65% users what they crave without needing to get the extras kit. That makes more sense than putting the bare minimum ISO keys into the base kit at the expense of HHKB/60%/novelty keys.

IMHO it's a refreshing change from having to subsidize ISO users in every GMK base kit I buy :p

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 09:29:51 »
Looking at CP in front of me, I think it's too white for the overall feel. Maybe choose the more cream one (L9?) like in the render with Rama's X?

I've been looking at pictures of Stormtrooper (CP) online, and it seems to look more creamy depending on different lights.

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Once I get the color samples from GMK I'll be able to compare a little better, currently I only have Pristine (L9) which I find a little too yellow. If you have a CP set, do you mind letting me know which picture is more representative?

GMK Oblivion Hagoromo alphas uses CP

it's basically the RGB equivialent of 235/235/235 or so, a slight off-white.

Offline megaforce

« Reply #69 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 09:31:26 »
hiragana subs option pls
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 09:44:58 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I'll take photos of the whites from GMK samples tomorrow, will include a gray card if I can find mine :thumb:

Offline olivia

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 10:18:37 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

I'll take photos of the whites from GMK samples tomorrow, will include a gray card if I can find mine :thumb:

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Thanks so much guys!! I might also look at 3K, it seems in between the two :)

Offline CandyKeys

• Just doing EU things.
    • CandyKeys EU MK Store
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 10:26:42 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

The whole office just sobs here when we see GMK Oblivion.

GMK Olivia is going to be exciting to have!
The CandyKeys Mechanical Keyboard Store

Offline Craxas

« Reply #73 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 10:52:19 »
I'm in!

Offline olivia

« Reply #74 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 11:15:54 »
Oblotzky kindly made some renders with the L9 alphas!

I personally prefer the CP alphas :)

Offline gutsack

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 11:47:02 »
Oh hello, it's me, much interest.

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #76 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 12:55:57 »
$45 extra for ISO?

Show Image

Show Image

No. It's $140 for a kit that supports the most popular layouts and pleases the most people (inc. some novelty 1U keys for the WKL/HHKB users), and $45 to accommodate less common layouts.

The designer has carefully thought about this division in kits, and bundled ISO, ortholinear and "boring spacebars and arrow keys" into it's own kit, and perhaps leaned slightly towards giving HHKB, 60% and 65% users what they crave without needing to get the extras kit. That makes more sense than putting the bare minimum ISO keys into the base kit at the expense of HHKB/60%/novelty keys.

IMHO it's a refreshing change from having to subsidize ISO users in every GMK base kit I buy :p

I kinda have to disagree for a few reasons, and that's not because I dont understand what you are saying. I get that you feel you have to subsidies others (whether you put an emoji in there or not), and that keys that get 'little' usage in your opinion shouldn't be included.

Firstly, this secondary kit, at 250 MOQ, is never going to reach its target unless somewhere like Assdrop steps in. 250 is a crazy number of sets for it to achieve. The base kit will have a good chance sure - its a great colourway, and I love it. But I can't buy if it doesn't have even basic ISO support.

Secondly, this hobby is about freedom to choose what layouts you want, across boards and switches - in essence to customise what you have. Here in the UK any PC you buy with a ****ty keyboard, or laptop all has ISO - I've tried ANSI, and I dislike not having quick access to certain keys, or having to retrain my brain when I switch devices.

ISO is part of the ingrained European standard and its difficult for a lot of people to move away from that. Its been used here historically. ANSI users dont subsidise ISO in this - everyone pays for keys that they dont use in any set - thats the beauty of the hobby - we can pick and choose what we want to use. I'm not certain that the Geekhack community is always representative of the whole community - so I expect little traction if anything here - and likely the usual ISO/non-standard bullying.

Finally - if you look at modern usage other staples of the keyset standard base set aren't being made. How many people really use a numpad? what about stepped caps? Multiple coloured enters for one layout are ok, but supporting another layout isn't?  The majority of the boards on here are 60% or thereabouts and probably dont need that (I might be shooting myself in the foot here as a TX1800 user and a 65% user with my Noxary 268 amongst 25 or so other top end boards).

My suggestion would be to either include the bare minimum in the base set (like Muted, 9009, oblivion, red samurai, solarised dark etc.etc.).

If that's not palatable I almost question why you would run an extras kit that is almost certain to not make MOQ without Massdrop support, and do as the Chinese GBs do (like Iris, Rainbow, and KA2017/18) and support a single layout only.

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #77 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 13:04:05 »
Yeah, I definitely prefer CP over L9 as well

Offline TheMissingPiece

• TheAverageOne
« Reply #78 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 13:34:39 »
Looks like a good set Olivia! Appreciate the 2u shift :eyes:

Would it be possible to add staggered 40s support? A few of my 40s user friends are asking about it. It would also help the extras kit hit MOQ if you were planning on running such a kit.

Offline WHeisenberg

« Reply #79 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 13:35:08 »
$45 extra for ISO?

Show Image

Show Image

I kinda have to disagree for a few reasons, and that's not because I dont understand what you are saying. I get that you feel you have to subsidies others (whether you put an emoji in there or not), and that keys that get 'little' usage in your opinion shouldn't be included.

Firstly, this secondary kit, at 250 MOQ, is never going to reach its target unless somewhere like Assdrop steps in. 250 is a crazy number of sets for it to achieve. The base kit will have a good chance sure - its a great colourway, and I love it. But I can't buy if it doesn't have even basic ISO support.

Secondly, this hobby is about freedom to choose what layouts you want, across boards and switches - in essence to customise what you have. Here in the UK any PC you buy with a ****ty keyboard, or laptop all has ISO - I've tried ANSI, and I dislike not having quick access to certain keys, or having to retrain my brain when I switch devices.

ISO is part of the ingrained European standard and its difficult for a lot of people to move away from that. Its been used here historically. ANSI users dont subsidise ISO in this - everyone pays for keys that they dont use in any set - thats the beauty of the hobby - we can pick and choose what we want to use. I'm not certain that the Geekhack community is always representative of the whole community - so I expect little traction if anything here - and likely the usual ISO/non-standard bullying.

Finally - if you look at modern usage other staples of the keyset standard base set aren't being made. How many people really use a numpad? what about stepped caps? Multiple coloured enters for one layout are ok, but supporting another layout isn't?  The majority of the boards on here are 60% or thereabouts and probably dont need that (I might be shooting myself in the foot here as a TX1800 user and a 65% user with my Noxary 268 amongst 25 or so other top end boards).

My suggestion would be to either include the bare minimum in the base set (like Muted, 9009, oblivion, red samurai, solarised dark etc.etc.).

If that's not palatable I almost question why you would run an extras kit that is almost certain to not make MOQ without Massdrop support, and do as the Chinese GBs do (like Iris, Rainbow, and KA2017/18) and support a single layout only.

So well said! +1

Love the colourway, but you are effectively forcing people to go ansi...

Offline MikeTheTiger

« Reply #80 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 13:39:54 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

What board is that in the top image?

Offline gutsack

« Reply #81 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 13:40:08 »
Prefer CP as well, for what it's worth. I think RAMA's renders look lovely, but in real life I don't think it will look quite like that and I'd prefer the brighter shade than something that ends up looking yellowish IRL. Kind of tired of the whole yellowed alphas look across the board. (PUN INTENDED!!!!!!!!)

Offline MMKB

« Reply #82 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 13:44:26 »

I'm super excited to be working with RAMA Works to offer a special edition of aluminum XO artisan keys alongside with GMK Olivia.

Show Image

Show Image

100% what I'm getting for my wife. Hope the color comes out great in the end. I'd prefer a less saturated pink with off-white alphas.

Offline sundin

« Reply #83 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 13:47:42 »
gimme.

Offline donutcat

• * Vendor
  • I have ideas. Sometimes they're even good ideas.
    • Donut Cables
« Reply #84 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 15:00:18 »
I feel like chiming in on the ISO "issue".

Basic ISO support is included in the base kit of almost every GMK set ever because it's just about the easiest major layout to support physically. 4 keys and you support a significantly different layout. By not including this small expense in the base kit, you're alienating an entire continent of primarily ISO users, as well as many other countries that use ISO such as China, Korea, Japan, etc. In my opinion this is going to severely hurt the viability of the set. Massdrop can carry sets because of their huge preexisting customer base. Small vendors have to rely on the sheer popularity of the set in both their own countries and through the proxies across other countries. If you don't include basic ISO support in the base kit, you might as well not even have and EU proxy and support from other countries will be impaired, something I don't think you can really stand to have happen with a set that needs 250 moq.

Personally, I would take the time to seriously consider the benefits of having ISO support in the base kit vs the potential costs of it not being in there, for the sake of the existence of the set.

Offline donut_sauce

« Reply #85 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 15:10:26 »
CP +1

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #86 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 15:34:28 »
Yes!!  My favorite anodized and jewelry color.  I have 3 keyboards either full rose gold, or with rose gold switch plate, or in light pink.  Definitely in.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 15:35:10 »
Yes!!  My favorite anodized and jewelry color.  I have 3 keyboards either full rose gold, or with rose gold switch plate, or in light pink.  Definitely in.

i forgot to tell you that this was happening

really does remind me of some of your boards
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #88 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 15:38:22 »

i forgot to tell you that this was happening

really does remind me of some of your boards

I'm indeed super excited to see this set.  olivia has read my mind!

Offline mgsickler

« Reply #89 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 16:08:16 »
Requests have already been made to see about ISO prices within the base set. Just as an FYI. Just the waiting game for hearing back.

Offline Jae-3soteric

• Jae | Top Clack
« Reply #90 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 16:43:10 »
Requests have already been made to see about ISO prices within the base set. Just as an FYI. Just the waiting game for hearing back.

Great news - thanks man, and thanks Olivia!!

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #91 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 17:01:24 »
Won’t get it personally, but good looking set! You Should reach out to youtuber iJustine and make her a custom keeb with gold case and this set, she’ll love it she has to :P

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #92 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 17:19:35 »
so much good coming out this year... but I'll keep an eye on this.

Offline livingspeedbump

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Gentlemen, a bobsled is a simple thing.
    • KeyChatter
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 17:37:59 »
Very pleasing and easy to digest colorway.

Simple sets get the thumbs up in my book. Very nice work.
<- My Collection (so far)

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #94 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 21:04:16 »
Here's the photo of GMK's Whites (and some other color for reference).
Taken in shade from non-direct sunlight at 10am.
I include a gray card to help with White Balance.

190771-0

190773-1

Of course it will be easier to select the appropriate color for the set when you get these on your hands, but hope this will help for now ;D

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #95 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 21:35:25 »
Hi! I'm chiming in for 40% support, especially the minivan. I also wanted to point out that a recent GMK group buy ran at $155 per base kit and was able to cover a wide range of users: ANSI, ISO, and 40% as well.
Here is a photo of all the keys that were available in the kit.

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #96 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 21:44:20 »
Not that you were talking about it specifically, but since 3C is shown on that photograph I thought I'd mention the following.  3C is quite a bit darker and more orange than the pink in the renders in the OP.  It's more of dirty peachy-apricot darker shade in person.  Not like the softer muted color on the renders.  On some photographs and on renders of kits such as GMK Muted it usually looks less dark and dirty orange-tinted than it really is.  I have keycaps made in 3C on my old WEY HK2000, though at the time I didn't realize it was basically 3C. I got GMK Muted color addons, and was disappointed once I actually received the caps.

GMK Muted renders of 3C (source: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88115.0)

Actual 3C: (not my photographs but show the color pretty well)
source: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6tmvn8/gmk_mute/

source: https://imgur.com/gallery/PWt5Tdi
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 March 2018, 21:49:52 by Photoelectric »

Offline olivia

« Reply #97 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 23:46:06 »
Here's the photo of GMK's Whites (and some other color for reference).
Taken in shade from non-direct sunlight at 10am.
I include a gray card to help with White Balance.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Of course it will be easier to select the appropriate color for the set when you get these on your hands, but hope this will help for now ;D

Not that you were talking about it specifically, but since 3C is shown on that photograph I thought I'd mention the following.  3C is quite a bit darker and more orange than the pink in the renders in the OP.  It's more of dirty peachy-apricot darker shade in person.  Not like the softer muted color on the renders.  On some photographs and on renders of kits such as GMK Muted it usually looks less dark and dirty orange-tinted than it really is.  I have keycaps made in 3C on my old WEY HK2000, though at the time I didn't realize it was basically 3C. I got GMK Muted color addons, and was disappointed once I actually received the caps.

GMK Muted renders of 3C (source: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=88115.0)
Show Image

Actual 3C: (not my photographs but show the color pretty well)
source: https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/6tmvn8/gmk_mute/
Show Image

source: https://imgur.com/gallery/PWt5Tdi
Show Image

Thanks to you two so much  :-* :-* :-*

Offline olivia

« Reply #98 on: Tue, 06 March 2018, 23:59:48 »
Hi! I'm chiming in for 40% support, especially the minivan. I also wanted to point out that a recent GMK group buy ran at $155 per base kit and was able to cover a wide range of users: ANSI, ISO, and 40% as well.
Here is a photo of all the keys that were available in the kit.
Show Image

Ooh this is very close to what I included in my base, just adding ISO & 40% :eek:

Offline megaforce

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 07 March 2018, 00:39:34 »
iso is Doo Doo butter c:

Sent from my LG-US996 using Tapatalk
Corsair K63 Wireless | Razer Huntsman Elite
More
Hokusai | Ogre| Yohane | Mc65 | Kaze | RBB
Former: LZ MX | LZ FE | LZ CLS TKL Silver |LZ CLS TKL Gray| LZ St | V.EA | Blackbird | LSV3 | OctagonV2 | Norbatouch | X60 | TX84 | Kyuu | SSK | 268.1| Jane CE | Corsair K95 | X60R | HHKB JP x JS HiPro | 910 CE |Nunu |Nunu FE | Jane V2 CE|Jane V2| RS (TKL)