Author Topic: Warped keyboard  (Read 4408 times)

Offline Pseudoku

Warped keyboard
« on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 13:43:14 »
Inspired by numerous ergo split keyboards, I've set out to build a bit more exaggerated form to see if I can better fit it to my hand. This is the working prototype to test the result and hopefully improve upon.

194564-0
Top view: Palm rest contains the housing for nRF51822 and the coin battery and also is the attachment point for camera clamp mount for tenting adjustment

194566-1
Front view: Each column is defined by parametric arc with a rolling angle and can be customized/ adjusted via code in openSCAD

194568-2
With my ugly hand...to give you an idea of how it "fits"

As for the architecture side, I've adapted the wonderful work and design by revers_bias, Mitosis.
https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/66588f/wireless_split_qmk_mitosis/

If there is any interest I'll write out a build log and "designing philosophy" behind it.

Thank you for your time.

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
Re: Warped keyboard
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 13:46:23 »
Wow!
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline MatchstickMan

• CAD Jockey - YOLO Enthusiast
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 14:16:53 »
Hell yeah! I love seeing weird stuff like this!

I'd be very interested in hearing about your design philosophy. The thumb cluster and the pinky arc are particularly unique.
Current Projects:
- SouthPad -- Left-handed Numpad
- Full Split (Currently on hold)

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 25 April 2018, 17:08:45 »
Just a little more evolution and you'd be making a DataHand keyboard.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 02:13:35 »
Wow, a long wait for your second post but well worth it!  Definitely interested in reading more on how this came to be, the split pinky column looked so wrong until I looked and my hand, at which point I wondered why it's not been done before...

Great work :thumb:
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline fpazos

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 02:58:01 »
That's one of the strangests things that I'have ever seen in GH, and that's quite something hahahaha. Despite that, it looks great, is innovative and I love ergo keyboards. Awesome work
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 April 2018, 03:14:03 by fpazos »

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 07:31:09 »
Cool! I can see your thinking. Are the brown things in the middle polymer clay, wood or potatoes? ;)

the split pinky column looked so wrong until I looked and my hand, at which point I wondered why it's not been done before...
The original B-TRON keyboards did do it.. and stuck a single key in-between the columns.
But I wouldn't blame you for not knowing about them. The TRON platform was made for Japan and Japanese first and was not very popular even in Japan.
« Last Edit: Thu, 26 April 2018, 07:33:27 by Findecanor »

Offline Pseudoku

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 26 April 2018, 10:46:25 »
Hell yeah! I love seeing weird stuff like this!

I'd be very interested in hearing about your design philosophy. The thumb cluster and the pinky arc are particularly unique.

Okay, I'll proceed with a write-up.

Just a little more evolution and you'd be making a DataHand keyboard.

I'd love to try DataHand to feel its glory someday. That design seems to get some many things right.

Cool! I can see your thinking. Are the brown things in the middle polymer clay, wood or potatoes? ;)

the split pinky column looked so wrong until I looked and my hand, at which point I wondered why it's not been done before...
The original B-TRON keyboards did do it.. and stuck a single key in-between the columns.
But I wouldn't blame you for not knowing about them. The TRON platform was made for Japan and Japanese first and was not very popular even in Japan.

Palm rests are constructed out of wood, closest thing to a petrified potato that I can lay my hands on.  ;)

Yes, natural flexion of pinky is the reason for the split column. One of the iterations did have compact columns, but requiring an effort to keep fingers in neutral key positions seemed so ludicrous. It was especially noticeable when tenting was introduced.

The empty space in between columns is still jarring to me, but in the end it's an infertile real estate that'll generate an awkward and useless key. (Weeell, I could try placing a scroll wheel, If I ever get to incorporating a tracking device.)