Author Topic: Build me a silent itx pc  (Read 22012 times)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
Re: Build me a silent itx pc
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 18:43:51 »
Grain of salt for folks that never post pictures of their equipment.  Personally I like to compile things using as many penguin icons as possible.  All the cats/s too.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 28 June 2019, 20:40:15 »

I doubt Tp has an I9, he spends all his money on monitors.

It's true, Tp4 = i7 pleb..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #52 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 03:51:02 »
Grain of salt for folks that never post pictures of their equipment.
Do you like heatsink fins and inky darkness, cause that's all you can see in a black Ncase with a Noctua C14s.

Kinda boring to be honest.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #53 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 06:04:30 »

I doubt Tp has an I9, he spends all his money on monitors.

It's true, Tp4 = i7 pleb..

Show Image

Don't knock the i7's man. I'm running a 8700k and it's great. :D

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #54 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 06:29:43 »
Grain of salt for folks that never post pictures of their equipment.  Personally I like to compile things using as many penguin icons as possible.  All the cats/s too.
Do you like heatsink fins and inky darkness, cause that's all you can see in a black Ncase with a Noctua C14s.

Kinda boring to be honest.

What?  No.  I wasn't referring to absyrd and his equipment.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #55 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 10:45:39 »
Wonder what kind of overclock absyrd is getting. awaiting details.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 19:58:37 »
What?  No.  I wasn't referring to absyrd and his equipment.
It was supposed to be funny but I retyped that a few times and sleep got the better of me.

Don't knock the i7's man. I'm running a 8700k and it's great. :D
I9-9900k is just the new high end I7 with an I9 designation to make people feel better for paying so much more for it (Intel has to make up those profit losses somehow).
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 29 June 2019, 20:03:24 »
Just got a SFF PSU to make more room for airflow and maybe a bigger cooler later.

4.0 ghz at 1.4v with idle temp of about 40c. Works for me.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #58 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 22:19:35 »
So it got bricked with bios update. And, yes, I know how to do it properly. Read some reviews with this happening.

Ended up with intel 8700. Will use apu until I install silent gpu.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #59 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 22:31:31 »
Tp, 100% Right, 100% of the time

Intel Ftw..!

But there should be a flash method which doesn't require screen/post etc.. at least the asus/msi boards have that.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #60 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 23:04:38 »
Tp, 100% Right, 100% of the time

Intel Ftw..!

Show Image

But there should be a flash method which doesn't require screen/post etc.. at least the asus/msi boards have that.

I updated via the bios NOT using the online feature but through a usb stick. It bricked.

And, no, I have no need to OC these days. Surprised you didn't yell at me for not getting a k cpu.

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #61 on: Tue, 02 July 2019, 23:24:33 »
dang

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #62 on: Wed, 03 July 2019, 05:12:23 »

I updated via the bios NOT using the online feature but through a usb stick. It bricked.

And, no, I have no need to OC these days. Surprised you didn't yell at me for not getting a k cpu.

It is not the goal of Tp4 to make others feel bad, only to offer -General- guidance towards Computational Bliss. !!

For the flash, sometimes it takes a long time for the board to build the rom out, like 10+ minutes. So for example, N66u routers, alot of people (think) they bricked their router flashing the custom firmware tomato, but actually it's just slow and taking a long time. Which is why there were waves and waves of refurb hardware coming to the market.

IDK if that's what happened here, because it may have not bricked, but then if the rom build was interrupted, then now it is bricked.

For asus boards, they have this recovery flash now a backup mode. chk if ur board has that.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #63 on: Thu, 04 July 2019, 05:21:38 »
It didn't have the revert on that board. I still went with an asus intel board. I like asus. I just wasn't goofing around with a replacement on the amd.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #64 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 02:36:57 »
I ended up with a 8700k in a Fractal Nano S case. I couldn't get the sg13 completely silent. The Nano S has all kinds of modular silencing panels and lets me try water cooling again (it has been 10 years at least) if I want to.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #65 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 09:55:58 »
Waterpumps make a rattle sound no matter what.  Air cooling is still the most quiet setup possible (relative) taking performance to noise ratio into account.  However they have to be BIG.

For small case, the P/N ratio will favor the water cooler, but again, it's favored, but NOT QUIET overall.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #66 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 11:27:04 »
I almost bit on returning my 570 8gb for a 580 but the performance increase for the extra 30 watt power draw is stupid.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #67 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 11:39:42 »
I almost bit on returning my 570 8gb for a 580 but the performance increase for the extra 30 watt power draw is stupid.

Welllll.... you're still in the window  I've seen 5-9-0 recently for $170,  so.....idk..

That said, 5700xt @ 400 , gud' deal.   

They also have some of the more Ghetto iterations of gtx 1070 on ebay for $200-ish

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #68 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 11:44:53 »
55 more watts for 590. But the MSI is on sale for $179.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 30 July 2019, 19:17:30 »
I ended up with a 8700k in a Fractal Nano S case. I couldn't get the sg13 completely silent. The Nano S has all kinds of modular silencing panels and lets me try water cooling again (it has been 10 years at least) if I want to.
Nice setup.
With the right cooling the GPU will be the noisiest part of it, it certainly is in my setup. The replacement GPU fans I ordered will help (one rattles a TON), but I won't be surprised if it's still the loudest part.

Waterpumps make a rattle sound no matter what.  Air cooling is still the most quiet setup possible (relative) taking performance to noise ratio into account.  However they have to be BIG.

For small case, the P/N ratio will favor the water cooler, but again, it's favored, but NOT QUIET overall.
The Gen 6 pumps are better for rattle and motor noise but if you think about it there's really no way to compete because more fans plus a pump. More moving parts will equal more sound.
They're also more expensive (esp. gen 6 or custom loop) for the same reasons.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #71 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 02:39:37 »
Thanks Leslie.

And I wouldn't go for an AIO liquid. Still don't trust that. Also read reviews that the Noctua NH D15 is just as good as most of them. I'd do custom loop. But that is down the road when I actually feel like tinkering and have the money.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #72 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 04:17:35 »
Custom loops are pretty much all show these days.

As for AIO reliability, I used to feel the same until I saw the QA process they go through, seriously, it's impressive and the industry fail rate is super low. A custom loop is actually far, far more likely to leak than an AIO, there is more joints and you don't have the ability to test for leaks like the AIO factory does. Play with custom loops long enough and it's not a matter of if a leak happens but when. I've watered down my share, if you do things right the damage is usually minimal but one mistake and you've burned a hole through the mobo (oops).

There is an exception here though and that is that an AIO will not last as long, they use mixed metal and are only expected to last 3-5 years when a custom can last a lot longer (my 240 rad is about 10). 3-5 years is often the length most people keep a high end system which means odds are you will need a new AIO or CPU block to fit the new socket anyhow and since both cost about the same, is there really a benefit?
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #73 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 11:53:47 »
Good points. I haven't had the opportunity to really build in a decade.

Leaks aren't what I'm concerned with in an AIO; it is the pump dying without my knowledge and thermal shutdown. Also, if I get an EK rad or something similar, at least it is copper. I would get a pump/resevior combo, though.

Right now I have this Noctua 15s on this bad boy and temps are super low. I doubt I'd get 5.1ghz and make it through p95 without hitting 100C, but I was never one to follow those tests unless I was benchmarking to submit (I did do a bunch of LN2 and dry ice stuff back in the day).

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 12:03:40 »
you need to adjust the avx multiplier for P95, because avx can cause crashes at say 4.0 or 4.5ghz when overclocking all core.

It's not as straightforward as it used to be,   

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 31 July 2019, 12:33:00 »
Okay. I will learn about the avx. Thx tp 4 ur tissu

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #76 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 02:15:07 »
Good points. I haven't had the opportunity to really build in a decade.

Leaks aren't what I'm concerned with in an AIO; it is the pump dying without my knowledge and thermal shutdown. Also, if I get an EK rad or something similar, at least it is copper. I would get a pump/resevior combo, though.

Right now I have this Noctua 15s on this bad boy and temps are super low. I doubt I'd get 5.1ghz and make it through p95 without hitting 100C, but I was never one to follow those tests unless I was benchmarking to submit (I did do a bunch of LN2 and dry ice stuff back in the day).

Systems today are not like days of old when things just went kaboom when they overheated. It's hard to kill a system now.

I rarely bother overclocking these days, the gains are just not worth the effort it requires.
Back when you could get a 10-40% gain it was worth it but today you rarely get more than a 5% gain and it's often less in real world performance. It may be easier but you get less out of it. Some of that is being an adult and having the money to buy a better cpu rather than an I3 or something and trying to make it perform well enough but technology has changed a lot, for the first time the hardware is outrunning the software. You can buy a 6 year old mid range cpu and still game pretty well on it which is just insane. So why buy a K series? I like having the option and resale on a K series is better. 
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #77 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 04:21:28 »
Yeah. I've been all work and no play for a looooooooooong time. I switched to a K to play around. I'm enjoying myself. Apparently I got a golden chip because I'm stable at 5ghz at 1.3v. And, no, tp, I'm not delidding.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #78 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 08:07:11 »
Yeah. I've been all work and no play for a looooooooooong time. I switched to a K to play around. I'm enjoying myself. Apparently I got a golden chip because I'm stable at 5ghz at 1.3v. And, no, tp, I'm not delidding.

Hhnnnggh.. but u have to delid, it's 100% safe w/ delid tool.  delid also gets higher clocks and more stability.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #79 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 18:04:56 »
No, it's not 100% safe, the risks may be low but there is still some high risk.
8700k is flat topped (no resistors) but does have a large die that can be bumped.

More importantly, some of us who worked with bare die Athlons probably still get nightmares about chipped die cores.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #80 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 18:08:28 »
No, it's not 100% safe, the risks may be low but there is still some high risk.
8700k is flat topped (no resistors) but does have a large die that can be bumped.

More importantly, some of us who worked with bare die Athlons probably still get nightmares about chipped die cores.

Certain heatsink mount designs can cause chipped cores. but on the newer 2 piece mount types, this is unlikely. plus the ihs goes back onto the die w/liquid metal,  it's not like exactly like the old athlons.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #81 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 18:24:30 »
Liquid metal is protecting the die?
Stop stiffing the Ramen powder.

Certain heatsink mount designs can cause chipped cores. but on the newer 2 piece mount types, this is unlikely.
This doesn't inspire confidence, nor is it helping your 100% safe statement.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #82 on: Thu, 01 August 2019, 18:42:43 »
Liquid metal is protecting the die?
Stop stiffing the Ramen powder.

Certain heatsink mount designs can cause chipped cores. but on the newer 2 piece mount types, this is unlikely.
This doesn't inspire confidence, nor is it helping your 100% safe statement.

Kekekekeke

No, the die goes back on and is clamped by the socket,  so overalll, if you had a heatsink ontop of that, the force is distributed evenly against the die.

Whereas in the old days, chips happen because the heatsink sometimes goes on side ways, and has uneven clamping force against the corner or edge of the die. That won't happen now with delids

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #83 on: Fri, 02 August 2019, 03:19:05 »
Tell that to the people with dead cpus who believed everything you just said.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 02 August 2019, 04:18:27 »
Apparently people buy delidded cpus with guarantees of clocks. Interesting. I'm good, though. Haha.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #85 on: Sat, 17 August 2019, 16:39:08 »
Last piece: wireless gaming mouse that is ergonomic (thumb rest jawn and possibly pink) that doesn't break the bank. Help?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #86 on: Sun, 18 August 2019, 07:08:33 »
If you want a wireless gaming mouse Logitech is pretty much your only realistic choice, it's just how it is and Logitech knows it.

I wish it were different and hopefully it will change soon, but I've been wishing for that for almost a decade with no luck so I wouldn't hold my breath.
Maaaybe it will change now that gamers have wised up to the fact that you can game and be wireless (been saying this for a while) but Logitech is just so far ahead of everyone on this it will take a while. You can try something cheaper but EVERY. DAMN. TIME. I try something else I come away frustrated and annoyed, it's pretty sad when a $15 Logitech from Walmart can hold a better connection than a $100 mouse from pretty much any other company. This is why people get so annoyed with wireless and always come away saying wireless gaming is bad, they refuse to spend the money on Logitech or they buy from their previous mouse company and they get a terrible experience. Corsair, Razer or whatever flavor of the week may work fine for wired but once you go wireless they all suck by comparison.

That said, they are pretty good about warranties and if you go G900 G903 the Omrons are relatively easy to get to compared to some of their previous designs, the G700 was a nightmare. I replaced them on mine about a month ago.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #87 on: Tue, 20 August 2019, 04:49:44 »
Hmmm... $150 for mouse. Maybe I'll try the $10 logitechs first.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #88 on: Wed, 21 August 2019, 00:42:43 »
Look for sales, there's almost always someone selling them at discount.
I spent $99 on my G900 not long after it came out.

A $10 Logitech will work fine as a wireless mouse but it's no gaming mouse and once you get used to wireless it will be difficult to go back.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline Sintpinty

• Carbon Based Life Form
  • she/her/they/them/any except he him
    • My Roblox Profile
« Reply #89 on: Tue, 27 August 2019, 14:12:02 »
Last piece: wireless gaming mouse that is ergonomic (thumb rest jawn and possibly pink) that doesn't break the bank. Help?

G703 Hero