Author Topic: Mechanical Topre-like Switch Recommendations  (Read 10829 times)

Offline Zentennen

Mechanical Topre-like Switch Recommendations
« on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 03:39:53 »
I've tried topre 45g on a switch tester and absolutely love it. The rounded tactility curve feels better than anything I've had with mechanical switches, the only thing I dislike is the bottom out feel. I much prefer to bottom out on plastic like on mechanical switches. I've heard that ALPS Neon Green (a.k.a. ALPS Lime) and ALPS Brown have a similar feel to topre and was wondering if there are any other ALPS switches (or any other mechanical switches in general) with a rounded topre-like feel. I'd also like some recommendations on how best to acquire them and if there are any boards available with them already installed (saves me some work soldering). I know ALPS Neon Green are famously very rare.

Offline donnghia

Re: Mechanical Topre-like Switch Recommendations
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 04:03:19 »
try the NIZ Plumz, it is one of the closet to Topre

Haven't try any Mechanical that really close to the TOPRE, Topre is in another leauge. People hate if or love it, not thing the same to compare ....

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 04:04:07 »
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline rxc92

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 05:51:43 »
Mm, if you like a softer bottom out feel you could just get an HHKB, it has a softer plastic plate that significantly alters the bottom out feel. Failing that, you could just get a normal Realforce R2; all of them come with two foam dampening pads. There's not really any mechanical switch like it though.

Offline Zentennen

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 06:32:31 »
Mm, if you like a softer bottom out feel you could just get an HHKB, it has a softer plastic plate that significantly alters the bottom out feel. Failing that, you could just get a normal Realforce R2; all of them come with two foam dampening pads. There's not really any mechanical switch like it though.

I specifically want the harder bottom out that mechanical keyboards have. I don't need the feel to be the same, just rounded.

Offline mlev6

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 07:31:05 »
Zealios V2 is not the same but it seems it has a more "rounded" pump from many switches I tried and pleasant bottom out - but I tried only the 78g version so far, the others may be similar or different. Definately lube it well though otherwise the mechanical tactiles will feel too scratchy compared to domes. And yeah bottom out is still more pronounced on any mechanical switch compared to a dome, except when you go into ergo designed that try to prevent you from bottoming out (clears and trues).

Offline Zentennen

« Reply #6 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 08:26:44 »
Zealios V2 is not the same but it seems it has a more "rounded" pump from many switches I tried and pleasant bottom out - but I tried only the 78g version so far, the others may be similar or different. Definately lube it well though otherwise the mechanical tactiles will feel too scratchy compared to domes. And yeah bottom out is still more pronounced on any mechanical switch compared to a dome, except when you go into ergo designed that try to prevent you from bottoming out (clears and trues).

I tried Zealios V1 and while I liked it, it wasn't rounded enough and I'd rather have a topre board than a zealio board. This is why I'm mostly looking into ALPS because from what I've heard they're the best at eachieving the roundness I want.

Offline GlennL42

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 09:20:13 »
It's really hard to get Topre like feedback without rubber dome mechanism due to inherently different feel they impart, and among all the 'mechanical' switches I've tried, I have to say non really feels like a true 'Topre analogue'.

While SKCM Neon Green is often said to be quite similar, I tried them out before and they are not really as close as they are made out to be by others IMO, as they are less rounded but has a slightly sharper tactility than Topre, not really sameish but close enough I guess; they felt more like a less tactile but heavier BKE Ultra light to me.

Another switch that I've personally found to be somewhat reminiscence of Topre is Hako Violet, mainly because of the position and subtlety of it's tactile bump plus its weighting, otherwise they are as close to Topre are in feel as Neon Green, similar but not really Topre-like.

PLUM EC switches another potential candidate, simply because the fact they're rubber dome switches as well, even though I don't really find them similar due to their shorten travel which further reduce the already very subtle tactility and making them virtually linear on 45G weighting, plus they also possess the soft bottoming out feel so this option is pretty much out.

Can't say about SKCM Brown or ITW Magnetic Value as I never tried them before, but I figure both maybe closer to Topre than the other switches due to their roundness.

Other than that, nothing else is even close to being 'Topre-like' in feel IMO and I'll be frank, trying to look for the merit/feel of a switch in another switch is largely a futile undertaking as it's often just impossible to find one that matches precisesly, so don't be too disappointed if you couldn't find one

Offline donnghia

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 09:29:51 »
I've tried topre 45g on a switch tester and absolutely love it. The rounded tactility curve feels better than anything I've had with mechanical switches, the only thing I dislike is the bottom out feel. I much prefer to bottom out on plastic like on mechanical switches. I've heard that ALPS Neon Green (a.k.a. ALPS Lime) and ALPS Brown have a similar feel to topre and was wondering if there are any other ALPS switches (or any other mechanical switches in general) with a rounded topre-like feel. I'd also like some recommendations on how best to acquire them and if there are any boards available with them already installed (saves me some work soldering). I know ALPS Neon Green are famously very rare.

I re-read again and think that may be you do not like the bottom out of the 45g Topre,

how about trying the 55g topre? I heard that the feeling is much better than the 45g...

Offline shadowku

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 10:12:28 »
A "mechanical"-like Topre switch is one of the unicorn witch-hunts of this community.

HHKB Pro2      FC660C

Offline zslane

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 11:36:33 »
There is no mechanical switch with the tactility profile of a Topre switch. If you want that tactile experience you have to buy into the bottom out experience as well. There will be plenty of suggestions for switches that sorta kinda come close to Topre, and they might satisfy you once you've forgotten exactly what Topre switches feel like, but the truth is nothing else really feels like Topre except Topre.

Offline Zentennen

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 13:39:16 »
It's really hard to get Topre like feedback without rubber dome mechanism due to inherently different feel they impart, and among all the 'mechanical' switches I've tried, I have to say non really feels like a true 'Topre analogue'.

While SKCM Neon Green is often said to be quite similar, I tried them out before and they are not really as close as they are made out to be by others IMO, as they are less rounded but has a slightly sharper tactility than Topre, not really sameish but close enough I guess; they felt more like a less tactile but heavier BKE Ultra light to me.

Another switch that I've personally found to be somewhat reminiscence of Topre is Hako Violet, mainly because of the position and subtlety of it's tactile bump plus its weighting, otherwise they are as close to Topre are in feel as Neon Green, similar but not really Topre-like.

PLUM EC switches another potential candidate, simply because the fact they're rubber dome switches as well, even though I don't really find them similar due to their shorten travel which further reduce the already very subtle tactility and making them virtually linear on 45G weighting, plus they also possess the soft bottoming out feel so this option is pretty much out.

Can't say about SKCM Brown or ITW Magnetic Value as I never tried them before, but I figure both maybe closer to Topre than the other switches due to their roundness.

Other than that, nothing else is even close to being 'Topre-like' in feel IMO and I'll be frank, trying to look for the merit/feel of a switch in another switch is largely a futile undertaking as it's often just impossible to find one that matches precisesly, so don't be too disappointed if you couldn't find one

Thanks for the recommendations! I really wish I hadn't said "topre-like" in my title now, because I really don't need a topre clone with a harder bottom out. I don't mind (in fact slightly prefer) the tactile bump to be further down the keystroke compared to topre. The main quality that I love so much about topre switches is the roundness and smoothness of the keystroke, and I think that's something mechanical keyboards can provide, even if it's not exactly identical. I'll look into BKE Ultra and Hako Violets (I've heard Hako Trues and Holy Pandas are good too).

Offline Zentennen

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 13:54:39 »

I re-read again and think that may be you do not like the bottom out of the 45g Topre,

how about trying the 55g topre? I heard that the feeling is much better than the 45g...

It's the rubberiness of 45g topre that I don't like, I don't think 55g will feel less rubbery.

Offline shansoft

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 15:53:48 »

I tried Zealios V1 and while I liked it, it wasn't rounded enough and I'd rather have a topre board than a zealio board. This is why I'm mostly looking into ALPS because from what I've heard they're the best at eachieving the roundness I want.

Holy Panda is extremely round and tactile, even more round than zealios V2. The bottom out also truly unique with it's own sound. You should try it out.

Offline Zentennen

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 16:49:43 »

Holy Panda is extremely round and tactile, even more round than zealios V2. The bottom out also truly unique with it's own sound. You should try it out.

That sounds really amazing, is there any decent place to get a single one?

Offline mlev6

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 17:59:29 »

Zealious V2 at least the 78g feels like a more rounded smoother Hako Violet btw. And I have never tried V1 Zealios but I here they are more "tactile" than V2.

Offline shansoft

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 18:11:59 »

Zealious V2 at least the 78g feels like a more rounded smoother Hako Violet btw. And I have never tried V1 Zealios but I here they are more "tactile" than V2.

zealios v2 is probably one of the most tactile switch out there, and way more so than V1, but it isn't as round as Holy Panda.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 06 September 2019, 18:35:24 »
In my search for my ultimate tactile switch since tactile switches are my favorites I would have to give it too ALPS SKCM browns. They use a plastic dummy plate to attach the tactile leaf unlike any other ALPS SKCM tactile switch which all use an a completely metal tactile leaf other than the browns. IMO, because of the plastic dummy plate it gives the browns a very special feel with a softer more rounded tactility than the others. Although the ALPS tactility is completely different from Topre or MX tactility IME. ALPS feel more like pushing through the switch, than over coming a centered or off centered bump like with Topre or MX.

I've tried pretty much all of the highly vaunted tactile mechanical switches out there too. ALPS SKCM - Neon Green, brown, orange, & salmon (never got to try undamped creams yet, but don't see them surpassing browns for me). MX - OG Holy Pandas, MD Holy Pandas, YOK Holy Pandas, Holy Skies, Zealios/Zilents V2 & V1 all weights, Outemu Skies, Cherry MX clears, Cherry MX tactile greys, etc. Topre - Leopold 45g stock domes before the factory change (many say these were heavier than 45g domes on RF, HHKB, & TH boards, more like a 50g dome), BKE redux heavy (what I am currently running in my 660C), & BKE redux extremes.

Take of my experiences what you will as YMMV since everybody's preferences are slightly different. Hopefully it gives you a decent range of switches to consider trying out though!
« Last Edit: Fri, 06 September 2019, 18:37:42 by Rob27shred »

Offline Zentennen

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 05:54:01 »
In my search for my ultimate tactile switch since tactile switches are my favorites I would have to give it too ALPS SKCM browns. They use a plastic dummy plate to attach the tactile leaf unlike any other ALPS SKCM tactile switch which all use an a completely metal tactile leaf other than the browns. IMO, because of the plastic dummy plate it gives the browns a very special feel with a softer more rounded tactility than the others. Although the ALPS tactility is completely different from Topre or MX tactility IME. ALPS feel more like pushing through the switch, than over coming a centered or off centered bump like with Topre or MX.

I've tried pretty much all of the highly vaunted tactile mechanical switches out there too. ALPS SKCM - Neon Green, brown, orange, & salmon (never got to try undamped creams yet, but don't see them surpassing browns for me). MX - OG Holy Pandas, MD Holy Pandas, YOK Holy Pandas, Holy Skies, Zealios/Zilents V2 & V1 all weights, Outemu Skies, Cherry MX clears, Cherry MX tactile greys, etc. Topre - Leopold 45g stock domes before the factory change (many say these were heavier than 45g domes on RF, HHKB, & TH boards, more like a 50g dome), BKE redux heavy (what I am currently running in my 660C), & BKE redux extremes.

Take of my experiences what you will as YMMV since everybody's preferences are slightly different. Hopefully it gives you a decent range of switches to consider trying out though!

Thanks for the recommendation! I've gotten a lot of good replies and ALPS Brown is one of the switches I'm most looking forward to trying, along with Holy Pandas.

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 07:41:40 »

Thanks for the recommendation! I've gotten a lot of good replies and ALPS Brown is one of the switches I'm most looking forward to trying, along with Holy Pandas.

No problem & GL with finding what you're looking for! Another suggestion I would have for getting to try out many different switch & board types is to go to a meetup. Not only do you get try out all kinds of cool MKB stuff, you'll get to meet a lot of really cool people!

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 11:35:39 »
Before you dump a lot of money on Holy Pandas, note that they do have a fairly significant, annoying spring pop noise that is fairly high pitched. No amount of spring lubrication can really solve it either.

I'd be interested in hearing if others have replaced the springs in it to solve this.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 12:46:43 »
For me, Topre is Topre and non-Topre is, well, non-Topre.

Silenced Topre 45g in the HHKB Pro 2 is my all-time favorite switch. I also like several other types of switches for various reasons, but I have not attempted to reproduce, even in part, the Topre sound and feel.

Other favored switches:

+ IBM capacitive buckling spring (Model F)

+ SKCM Alps: Blue, White, Brown

The SKCM Brown Alps are extremely and uniquely tactile. I like them, but they are a tad heavy for me for prolonged typing sessions.

Runner-up switches include IBM Model M, Matias Click, and Matias Quiet.

Nothing in the world of Cherry mx or its clones comes close to my most favored switches listed above, but I do have some boards of this ilk in my collection that I use once in a while for contrast. These include Gateron Yellow, Cherry mx Green, and Zilent v1 67g.

Offline shansoft

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 14:17:29 »
Before you dump a lot of money on Holy Pandas, note that they do have a fairly significant, annoying spring pop noise that is fairly high pitched. No amount of spring lubrication can really solve it either.

I'd be interested in hearing if others have replaced the springs in it to solve this.

I have not encountered that. Is that from the OG Holy Panda?
Both Holy mint panda and MD one are having those noise for me, which I am sensitive to.

Offline Zentennen

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 07 September 2019, 14:40:19 »

I've heard people take the Halo stem and put it in a zealio housing and use the zealio spring, that should work right?

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 12:01:28 »

Both Holy mint panda and MD one are having those noise for me, which I am sensitive to.

Massdrop are the only ones I have tried. I should mention I currently have them on a beater hotswap which has a lot of the switch exposed with no internal dampening, so this could be making it much worse than it is.

Zentennen I have no idea if that would work or not, I have not looked into this much TBH. About $1.20 per switch was already on the upper limit of what I'd want to pay for a switch and Zealios would essentially double the cost of this switch. I might look into spring replacements as these are much cheaper.

Anyway regardless if someone really likes the deeper/bassier sound of Topre thock on the plastic plate I have a hard time believing any switch will be able to come close to that. SKCM Orange is about the closest I have heard and even that is more higher pitched than Topre. Topre 45, 55, BKE Reduxes and Type S 45 on HHKB2 remain the best sounding switches I've heard.
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 September 2019, 12:09:42 by directheatedtriode »

Online Rob27shred

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 13:41:52 »

Massdrop are the only ones I have tried. I should mention I currently have them on a beater hotswap which has a lot of the switch exposed with no internal dampening, so this could be making it much worse than it is.

Zentennen I have no idea if that would work or not, I have not looked into this much TBH. About $1.20 per switch was already on the upper limit of what I'd want to pay for a switch and Zealios would essentially double the cost of this switch. I might look into spring replacements as these are much cheaper.

Anyway regardless if someone really likes the deeper/bassier sound of Topre thock on the plastic plate I have a hard time believing any switch will be able to come close to that. SKCM Orange is about the closest I have heard and even that is more higher pitched than Topre. Topre 45, 55, BKE Reduxes and Type S 45 on HHKB2 remain the best sounding switches I've heard.

I think it probably is the board you're using them in that is making the spring ping/pop/crunch more accentuated. I lubed the springs in my MD HPs that are in my ACR60 with VPF 1514 & they make zero noise. Which did surprise me TBH as from the looks of them & some of the reviews I saw I was expecting to have to swap springs with them. The ACR60 is a pretty loud board also, although I did go the extra mile silencing this build. I did the sorbothane strut mod for sound dampening in between the plate & PCB. Then I used an MK Ultra 4mm 60% case foam for in between the PCB & case, but spring ping/pop/crunch would still be noticeable if it were present in this build IMHO.

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 08 September 2019, 16:52:24 »

I think it probably is the board you're using them in that is making the spring ping/pop/crunch more accentuated. I lubed the springs in my MD HPs that are in my ACR60 with VPF 1514 & they make zero noise. Which did surprise me TBH as from the looks of them & some of the reviews I saw I was expecting to have to swap springs with them. The ACR60 is a pretty loud board also, although I did go the extra mile silencing this build. I did the sorbothane strut mod for sound dampening in between the plate & PCB. Then I used an MK Ultra 4mm 60% case foam for in between the PCB & case, but spring ping/pop/crunch would still be noticeable if it were present in this build IMHO.

Very interesting, I've never heard of this lube before. What lube did you use for the slider and housing? And does that VPF alter the switch return in anyway?

This is just a temporary case for me to determine if I want to keep the switches for a more permanent build. Ideally I would like a polycarb or 3D printed HHKB/Tsangan that doesn't cost much.

Offline Surefoot

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 06:57:46 »
The Hako series (Hako True, Hako Violet, Hako Royal..) all are "rounded bump" that are said to emulate the topre feeling. I suppose that would be the closest match.

Offline rxc92

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 07:58:02 »
The Hako series (Hako True, Hako Violet, Hako Royal..) all are "rounded bump" that are said to emulate the topre feeling. I suppose that would be the closest match.
I’d heard that as well and it drove me to try Hako True switches on a board, but the two feelings are nothing alike. The design of MX switches and Topre switches make them fundamentally unable to have a similar feel; those who want a Topre-like feel really ought to just get a Topre board or a decent clone.

Offline J_Noes

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 09 September 2019, 08:21:26 »
I have a few topres and the closest I've ever felt in terms of MX switches would probably be what I call Hako reds.
Now to be clear, all the other posters who've said it's folly to even try are right. but if you're bored or just have some extra switches around give these a try.

Hako (violets, clears and trues doesn't matter which) stem in a box red case with a box red spring.
it's a very subtle and round tactility with a harder typical mx bottom out unlike topre's softer bottom out.
To me, this feels more like a 45g topre, since 55g's have a stronger tactility.

If you'd like a stronger tactile bump, I'm quite fond of Hako violet stems and springs in a box royal case. that's the closest I've felt box switches get to holy pandas.