Author Topic: To mod or not to mod, that's the question.  (Read 1047 times)

Offline patrickgeekhack

To mod or not to mod, that's the question.
« on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 14:21:28 »
I learn something the hard way in the past few days: I am not good at modding keyboards, and I don't like the feeling of a modded keyboard. Let me explain.

In the past, I had removed all the leaves from my Dell AT-101W because the keys "stuck" when I don't press them right in the middle. While, the keys were very smooth after the leaves were removed, the overall feel of the keyboard was not the same anymore and did not feel right. I admit that I liked the feeling at the beginning, but then I felt as if something was missing.

My second mod gave the same result. I wanted to tone down my Customizer because it was too loud next to my daughter's room. I applied silicone grease to the springs. I realised my mistake after I have applied grease to all the keys. It was as if the keyboard has lost its soul. It was not the same keyboard anymore. What's even worse is that there's not way to make the keyboard feel the same again, unless of course one washes the springs. I pulled all the spring and remove the grease as much as I could. PUtting them back was a pain in the butt. I busted a few of them, and ended up using the ones from the right modifier keys. I don't have scroll lock and pause working either. Even after I have removed as much grease as I could, the keyboard was not the same anymore. It's like one who stops smoking. One become an ex-smoker not a non-smoker.

Offline Lanx

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 16:01:16 »
modding is a means to an ends really. I believe a person mods because they just it (the device to mod) could be so much better in their "vision".
It debatable if putting super spinners and shiny rims on a car is awesome or gaudy, but that person sure felt better with that mod.

Or if you really hate red and wanted blue led's in your keyboard doing that mod eases you.

This is how i feel with mods, your literally forced into a position of use/ don't use or use and grumble and wait for something to come out that suits your purpose, or whip out the tool belt, assembly line be damned.

Offline patrickgeekhack

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 13 November 2010, 16:45:15 »
Quote from: Lanx;246406
modding is a means to an ends really. I believe a person mods because they just it (the device to mod) could be so much better in their "vision".
It debatable if putting super spinners and shiny rims on a car is awesome or gaudy, but that person sure felt better with that mod.

Or if you really hate red and wanted blue led's in your keyboard doing that mod eases you.

This is how i feel with mods, your literally forced into a position of use/ don't use or use and grumble and wait for something to come out that suits your purpose, or whip out the tool belt, assembly line be damned.

I never thought about modding in this way. I should have said "To mod keys or not to mod keys..." I honestly did not think about the LED. This was/is because I don't pay much attention to them. I don't look at them at all since I mostly look at my screen while I type.