Author Topic: [GB] GMK Blank keycaps, any row/size in standard GMK colors  (Read 154637 times)

Offline scud80

Re: [GB] GMK Blank keycaps, any row/size in standard GMK colors
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 17:08:25 »
they *will* be produced, but at the price listed on the sheet.  which, for a key that only has 5 listed, would be like $30 per key (and thus probably not worth it for you).  if you decide that the prices are too high, just delete the info on your rows.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #201 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 18:11:41 »
I am really hoping for some R3 and R4 1.25u N9 love. Seems to have the best chance. I will definitely buy 10 of each if I have to but hope it can make it! Also DY getting a lot of love. Might try to make those my Mod color.
I definitely don't mind getting extra n9 row 3 - 1.25u caps. Waiting this out...

Sent from my Moto G (5) Plus using Tapatalk

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #202 on: Sun, 21 April 2019, 18:19:12 »
My long-time dream is to reproduce this render:

Show Image

I really wish that this layout was available in a cheaper board. The kbd75 isn't as nice as this imo.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #203 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 04:31:21 »
Everybody abandoned TU2 deep dish. RIP TU2 alphas. I might just pull out altogether. Not really feeling the black/white options.

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #204 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 09:37:47 »
All y'all can call me stupid, but I only now realized I could get a few blanks for the Alcatel MMX set I got lying around here. But... which tone of white should I be using for it? I would think L9, but I want to be sure before I add them to the order.

Thanks!

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #205 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 09:43:01 »
Abandoned CC ship :( and no spacebar as well. Only N9 for me now  :(

Offline Prelim

« Reply #206 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 09:52:33 »
All y'all can call me stupid, but I only now realized I could get a few blanks for the Alcatel MMX set I got lying around here. But... which tone of white should I be using for it? I would think L9, but I want to be sure before I add them to the order.

Thanks!

L9 is beige, so should be the CP (same as stormtropper)
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #207 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 09:54:11 »

Thanks!

L9 is beige, so should be the CP (same as stormtropper)

Hard to tell with no other references. If it is a vintage set would be L9.

Offline Prelim

« Reply #208 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 10:02:21 »
 :eek: no way Alcatel MMK caps are L9, as they're not the same as used on OG beige sets
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #209 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 17:29:53 »
they *will* be produced, but at the price listed on the sheet.  which, for a key that only has 5 listed, would be like $30 per key (and thus probably not worth it for you).  if you decide that the prices are too high, just delete the info on your rows.

I've just done this, and GFL was it painful.  :( :( :(

Thanks for all the work you've put into this, scud80.

Offline scud80

« Reply #210 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 21:46:57 »
Seems like a lot of people did.  It went from 59 types above MOQ to 38 now :(  Though there are 12 more still above 100, so those won't be too bad for people to still buy (~$2 per key).  I'm hoping that people stay in on the 1.5u R1 & R3 CR keys.  They're a bit expensive, but only two of each are needed so it's not terrible.

Also, I removed the red coloring on the order sheet for types that are at <150, since the pricing now reflects those being produced anyways.

Offline Aerizu

• Professional Lurker
« Reply #211 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 22:53:23 »
I have also deleted my entries. It seems that 3C and CP color keys I picked wont reach MOQ, and I don't want to pay ~$1100 for 50 keys :(

Offline spyruf

« Reply #212 on: Mon, 22 April 2019, 23:11:45 »
I haven't received access to the spreadsheet yet? I submitted the form a couple days ago.

Offline piit79

« Reply #213 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 00:19:24 »
I have also deleted my entries. It seems that 3C and CP color keys I picked wont reach MOQ, and I don't want to pay ~$1100 for 50 keys :(
Correction, you would be paying $1100 for 800-1000 keys (depending on the types of keys ordered). But I guess you don't need 1000 keys ;-)

Sent from my OnePlus 6T with a rubbish gimmicky bloody annoying unreliable in-display fingerprint reader using Tapatalk

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #214 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 01:24:04 »
Can I get more rows? like 20 more rows (just to be safe)

Offline harlekein

« Reply #215 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 04:38:51 »
I think the big takeaway here is that this is too much micromanaging for people. Having to coordinate buying extra keys for each other and such would not have been an issue if complete kits were offered to cover a variety of layouts. People forgetting about or not wanting homing keys is not an issue either is they order an alpha kit which includes them anyway.

What happens now is a cascading effect. People pulled out op homing keys, because MOQ was 50. Now I have to pay so much money for homing keys that I pulled out the TU2 alphas entirely. People who went for skeletor colors see those drop and pull out DY modifiers, etc. There are too many gaps now. I just looked it up and N9 which was doing well has also been dropping.

Some people will not adjust their order in time and get a 80 USD bill for 2 deep dish keys, As a result they will not pay and it messes up the remaining order numbers.

This was a great idea scud80, but it relied too much on people collaborating in this forum or on Discord instead of just going ahead and finance keys for each other through buying complete kits.

« Reply #216 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 06:32:57 »
This group buy almost risked to fail because OP had probably too much faith in the number of orders, so it didn't accomplish what we were searching. I think that most of us, given the low prices, would have wanted something easy to order, for example alphas in one color, or a number of spacebar.
The fact that the key weren't grouped together, made it impossible to order something easily.
If I want the alphas, I should just choose one single item, I don't have the patience to choose ten different articles in ten different profiles of which I've never heard before.
How is it even possible that the spacebars didn't reach moq???
I think that this GB should be extended, that the OP should group together the different keycaps needed for example for alphas, of for modifiers, or to group together a number of spacebars, for example beige and black and n9 gray. Given the delivery cost, adding 2 eur to make another color succeed is a really small sacrifice that we must make.

Offline drkwtc

« Reply #217 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 15:43:41 »
Has pricing for the 6.25u spacebars changed recently?

Offline adotm

« Reply #218 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 18:17:15 »
As much as I want to stay in this drop, 7u spacebars costing $30-100 each (and most mods also costing way too much) is probably going to make me drop out.

As MOQ currently stands, I'd be paying ~$200 just for a CR TKL base kit, which is clearly unacceptable.

My suggestion is that OP extend this GB and potentially offer an easier way for plebs to add common kits. Even having a tab where they can copy/paste values could go a long way.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #219 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 20:45:09 »
Hold on, I thought that if a particular keycap fails to hit moq, that the order doesn't go through?

If I order three of a key/colour combo that no one else wants, do I pay for all 150 of them by default?

If so that's odd.

I mean, unless I can choose to keep all 150 of them.

Is that an option?

Offline Furikurichemy

« Reply #220 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 22:09:15 »
Hold on, I thought that if a particular keycap fails to hit moq, that the order doesn't go through?

If I order three of a key/colour combo that no one else wants, do I pay for all 150 of them by default?

If so that's odd.

Is that an option?

You would get all 150 of them. The form phrases it weirdly, but the extra cost is just you having to purchase more keycaps.

Offline obeisa

« Reply #221 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 22:11:04 »

If so that's odd.

Is that an option?

I believe it's set up such that you get all 150 in the scenario you described.

This group buy almost risked to fail because OP had probably too much faith in the number of orders, so it didn't accomplish what we were searching [...]

I think the big takeaway here is that this is too much micromanaging for people. Having to coordinate buying extra keys for each other and such would not have been an issue if complete kits were offered to cover a variety of layouts [...]

I think the lesson here is that SA users are superior to GMK users!(I'm kidding.) When the op ran the same format buy with SA blanks awhile ago things went relatively smoothly.

« Reply #222 on: Tue, 23 April 2019, 22:30:55 »
As much as I want to stay in this drop, 7u spacebars costing $30-100 each (and most mods also costing way too much) is probably going to make me drop out.

As MOQ currently stands, I'd be paying ~$200 just for a CR TKL base kit, which is clearly unacceptable.

My suggestion is that OP extend this GB and potentially offer an easier way for plebs to add common kits. Even having a tab where they can copy/paste values could go a long way.

The fact that some alphas kit failed because no one ordered the homing keys is one of the saddest and funniest thing that I'll ever see in the keycaps world. Yeah, and the box royals that destroy 200 USD keycaps is another one.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #223 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 04:59:35 »
Right now I got some keys sitting on 70 MOQ, which means the pricing is acceptable to me. Chance is people will drop out last minute, increasing the price until it becomes unacceptable to me.  The only way to protect myself from this is pulling out of the GB as well, which again will cascade into other keys not making MOQ.

Offline kawasaki161

« Reply #224 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 06:40:39 »
Welp, this failed gloriously, not going to pay 300 bucks for some spacebars, gl to the three cap combinations that reached acceptable pricing, hope no one else drops out on those.

Offline piit79

« Reply #225 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 06:48:08 »
Yep, it's a shame.

I very much hope people don't pull out of the small N9 spacebars - they are currently at ~50 units each which is quite acceptable.

Sent from my OnePlus 6T with a rubbish gimmicky bloody annoying unreliable in-display fingerprint reader using Tapatalk

« Reply #226 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 08:22:39 »
Welp, this failed gloriously, not going to pay 300 bucks for some spacebars, gl to the three cap combinations that reached acceptable pricing, hope no one else drops out on those.

There are about 40 different colours. With a MOQ of 150 this means 6000 space-bars minimum. I wonder how I could ever think that this GB would succeed given that there are 200 people that actively joined this effort, when in fact 6000 were needed. The number of colours should be slimmed down, and keys should be combined in small kits.

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #227 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 10:09:20 »
I think no one wants to pay 700-900 USD for a blank gmk set lol

Its really ashamed to see people getting cold feet and all the numbers dropping in a rapid paste..

@Scud80 any statement on how to further proceed? I think people are a bit "scared" to see "all types on the sheet will be produced at the prices listed!" 

Offline harlekein

« Reply #228 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 10:16:12 »
So I did some cut and paste between rows and now the calculations are entirely broken. I searched on "#REF" throughout the sheet andit appears I'm not the only one.

Offline piit79

« Reply #229 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 10:20:37 »
So I did some cut and paste between rows and now the calculations are entirely broken. I searched on "#REF" throughout the sheet andit appears I'm not the only one.
Yep, happened to me as well. Had to resort to copying without the colours and fill them back in manually, that worked.

Offline fireworm

« Reply #230 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 11:56:42 »
Gonna try to be helpful:

Currently (as I see it):

Purple (DY) is meeting MOQ for Alphas, Ergodox, and ALMOST ANSI mods (you must use split right shift).
Teal (TU2), White (WS1), Gray (N9) is meeting MOQ for Alphas.
Black (CR) is meeting MOQ for Alphas and Ergodox.

May be missing something here...

Everything else is below MOQ and will require users to pay more to get to MOQ (they will receive the extra caps from meeting MOQ in this fashion).

Offline CrazyNun

« Reply #231 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 12:00:40 »
Shame to have to delete my rows (i would be paying over a grand for 20 keycaps), i hope others manage to get something they really wanted! =D

« Reply #232 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 14:44:16 »
Gonna try to be helpful:

Currently (as I see it):

Purple (DY) is meeting MOQ for Alphas, Ergodox, and ALMOST ANSI mods (you must use split right shift).

Everything else is below MOQ and will require users to pay more to get to MOQ (they will receive the extra caps from meeting MOQ in this fashion).

Someone said that there's no homing???

Offline fireworm

« Reply #233 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 15:00:21 »
Gonna try to be helpful:

Currently (as I see it):

Someone said that there's no homing???

It's not clear to me; I heard homing could be produced at MOQ 50, or something.  Only Black (CR) Bar Homing is at the 150 MOQ.

Offline scud80

« Reply #234 on: Wed, 24 April 2019, 18:29:16 »
April 24 Update:

I'm no longer adding new people to the sheet, as mentioned in the last update, so now is the time to evaluate your rows to decide if you need to delete anything.  For low quantity types, it's pretty unlikely that others will be adding more at this point if that's what you've been waiting for.

The buy won't be extended again.  Quantities took a small hit at the beginning of the week, but there are still close to 18000 in types that are above MOQ (about 3500 below its highest point).  Maybe offering kits would improve things, but it would mean *way* more work for me.  I'd either have to input all the quantities myself or code up a website/database to do it, which is above my level of interest at this time.  I'll revisit the possibility later, and if somebody else would want to work with me on that let me know.  The SP buy was much smoother because their minimum was effectively ~$60/type as opposed to ~$200/type with GMK, and there wasn't ever any "will this make MOQ" anxiety ... it was just "will this get cheap enough to be worth it".

I'll lock the sheet to edits before I go to bed Friday (10-11pm PDT).  At that point I'll deal with issues, such as people on low quantity things that couldn't be bothered to remove their quantities, or last minute changes that affect others.  Check your rows on Saturday and send me an email (@gmail.com) if something changed significantly that affects what you want to order.  I imagine most/all of the above MOQ types are fine.  I will optimistically have all the individual issues worked out this weekend so that invoices can go out starting on Monday.

As always, if you have questions send me a pm either on here/Reddit/Discord.  You can also post, though that's harder for me to keep track of whether I've responded.

Offline RominRonin

• * Maker
« Reply #235 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 01:08:36 »
Something appears to be broken, the 'current quantities' sheet indicates that there are 72x Row 3 - 1.25u caps, but on my order line, I'm seeing 17 in the 'total pieces in this combination', and the price reflects that.

I guess the current quantities sheet is out of date, though, can anybody confirm that?

Offline obeisa

« Reply #236 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 05:36:39 »
I don't see those numbers for any r3 1.25u colours.
For me, CR 1.25u is 13 in both the order form and current quantity sheet.

Offline thearctican

« Reply #237 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 10:58:19 »
Well looks like I'm getting a pretty much all-black set with some accent colors on R1. It's a shame this turned out the way it did.
Also looks like it's going to be prohibitively expensive for any spacebars but 6.25u.

All I wanted else was an N6 diamond cluster for my arrows. Still looking forward to getting it, will be a nice set I can throw on anything.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #238 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 12:21:53 »
Same. Black alphas instead of TU2. Shame, but there's never going to be a 40% ortho coverage in GMK for this price again.

Offline teamrushpntball

« Reply #239 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 13:43:24 »
Well, looks like me and 8 other people are going to have a huge stock of DY 2.25 and 2.75 space bars.  Thanks for running this OP.

« Reply #240 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 15:54:16 »
There is a simple way to run this with kits. First take a poll to see what colors people like. Then limit the choice of the user to three or four colors and a small number of kits (alphas, ansi and iso modifiers, spacebars, numpad? It's your/ our choice). If a kit reaches 150 units, than it's made.
You can keep the existing calc document, or create a new one which contains those 4 kits. Obviously combining this with your existing calc document, with the single keys, could be complicated, but if you simply make one additional calc documents which contains only the kits, then it's trivial (at least for you). The only difficulty arises is you want to combine kits with single keys, am I wrong???? Thanks for reading this :thumb:

« Last Edit: Thu, 25 April 2019, 16:05:38 by cherrymxsilent@gmail.com »

Offline scud80

« Reply #241 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 17:50:29 »
There is a simple way to run this with kits.

If you feel so strongly about running it with kits, then feel free to do so.

« Reply #242 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 18:00:14 »
There is a simple way to run this with kits.

If you feel so strongly about running it with kits, then feel free to do so.

:eek:

Offline obeisa

« Reply #243 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 18:27:32 »
There is a simple way to run this with kits. [...]

It's times like this that I prefer the reddit format - so **** like this can be downvoted to oblivion.

There are infinite ways to structure a GB, and OP chose this one. (What fireworm did is another example.) He already stated multiple times that he does not want to put in the effort to change the format at the moment. While this format might not be to your liking, it clearly works for a lot of people. Your incessant whining isn't productive. You are welcome to build a GB on top of his or coordinate kits some other way, but judging by the multiple efforts to do so (on different platforms throughout the entire duration of this buy) that have more or less failed so far, it's not as easy or as necessary as what you might think.

Offline scud80

« Reply #244 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 18:30:08 »
i should have mentioned this in the update, but the 1.25u spacebar is definitely not happening, so if you're one of the people with those still on your order please remove them.

Offline fireworm

« Reply #245 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 19:13:25 »
There is a simple way to run this with kits. [...]

It's times like this that I prefer the reddit format - so **** like this can be downvoted to oblivion.

There are infinite ways to structure a GB, and OP chose this one. (What fireworm did is another example.) He already stated multiple times that he does not want to put in the effort to change the format at the moment. While this format might not be to your liking, it clearly works for a lot of people. Your incessant whining isn't productive. You are welcome to build a GB on top of his or coordinate kits some other way, but judging by the multiple efforts to do so (on different platforms throughout the entire duration of this buy) that have more or less failed so far, it's not as easy or as necessary as what you might think.

Yep.  And no one can say 'you copied my colors!' with blanks.  :p

Let me tell you, it's a ton of extra work to: make kits, validate kits are compatible and cheap and useful (40's, Ergodox, Ortho, etc.), run the calcs for totals, find errors in the calcs, fix the calcs, make images for folks to understand the kits, run an IC / polling, make calls / people upset, run another IC to validate there's still enough interest, create an easier way to buy caps (shopify store / google form), work with proxies in different continents on updating their shops with your kits, collect payments, order the caps w/ your proxies in other countries, get the caps, sort the caps into the kits, THEN package them, validate orders, etc.  It's a lot of work. 

scud80's SA buy was fine; he spent a month sorting caps.  I can see why he wouldn't change anything in his GB format (there are interesting trade offs), and especially when it's already underway.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #246 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 19:16:03 »
Yep.  And no one can say 'you copied my colors!' with blanks.  :p

Let me tell you, it's a ton of extra work to: make kits, validate kits are compatible and cheap and useful (40's, Ergodox, Ortho, etc.), run the calcs for totals, find errors in the calcs, fix the calcs, make images for folks to understand the kits, run an IC / polling, make calls / people upset, run another IC to validate there's still enough interest, create an easier way to buy caps (shopify store / google form), work with proxies in different continents on updating their shops with your kits, collect payments, order the caps w/ your proxies in other countries, get the caps, sort the caps into the kits, THEN package them, validate orders, etc.  It's a lot of work. 

scud80's SA buy was fine; he spent a month sorting caps.  I can see why he wouldn't change anything in his GB format (there are interesting trade offs), and especially when it's already underway.

Nothing about running a GB is easy, but people will always have input on how to run it despite that. That is just the nature of the beast.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #247 on: Thu, 25 April 2019, 23:10:07 »
Here's my shill for L9 (beige alpha) 2.25u and 2.75u convex spacebars. I'll be buying up to MOQ, so if you were on the edge, prices should be normal ($1.40ea iirc).

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #248 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 00:28:28 »
Honestly the whole format scared me away. I just wanted different split  (2.75,1.25,2.25) non curved sets for my DZ60s and banana split, but it's just insane the process to get that. Its not meant to be an insult actually, I know it sounds that way, it's just the reality of niche stuff like this. I don't know what the solution is other than a vendor selling full blank ~104 key gmk sets and people cannibalize them like I did a epbt blank set. I remember when it was so easy pre-pmk to get blanks and spaces of any color from sig plastic for super cheap you picked off a spreadsheet of stock, my guess is they made no money off that, I can't imagine gmk being that easy either which is why this is so complicated.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline Rayndalf

« Reply #249 on: Fri, 26 April 2019, 00:29:25 »
Here's my shill for L9 (beige alpha) 2.25u and 2.75u convex spacebars. I'll be buying up to MOQ, so if you were on the edge, prices should be normal ($1.40ea iirc).
Alright, I'll bite. It wouldn't hurt to have a split bar or two lying around