Author Topic: Thinking about buying an Unicomp  (Read 10327 times)

Offline Hypersphere

Re: Thinking about buying an Unicomp
« Reply #50 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 16:46:52 »
If you have made a direct comparison of the typing experience on keyboards A and B and you prefer the experience using keyboard B for whatever reason, then it makes sense for you to purchase/use keyboard B, even if others tell you that based on criteria that they consider important, keyboard A is better.

In my case, I have compared the typing experience of A and B and found it superior on A. It also turns out that the build quality of A, in my opinion, was better than that of B. However, I suppose it could be possible that someone might prefer the typing experience on B even if the build quality was not as good as that of A. Indeed, by their own criteria, a given person might decide that the build quality, as well as the typing experience, was better on B than A, although it should be possible to generate more objective criteria for build quality than for typing experience, which is quite subjective.

Similar analogies could be made for cars, airplanes, suits of clothes, etc.   

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #51 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 19:06:07 »
Thank you all for your replies.

I now believe the biggest problem with the original Model M would be the lack of super key, which some Unicomp models have.

And as I have never used an original one, I won't notice all those differences!

For the rare occasions when I want to use the "Super" or "Windows" key, I have remapped the Caps Lock to serve this function. This works well for me, because I never use the Caps Lock for its original purpose. This way, I can use my Model M in Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux (Linux Mint 13 KDE) and have a "Windows", "Command" or "Super" key in each OS.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #52 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 19:55:56 »

For the rare occasions when I want to use the "Super" or "Windows" key, I have remapped the Caps Lock to serve this function. This works well for me, because I never use the Caps Lock for its original purpose. This way, I can use my Model M in Windows, Mac OS X, or Linux (Linux Mint 13 KDE) and have a "Windows", "Command" or "Super" key in each OS.

I use the Caps Lock as a control.

However, I found a Model M to buy here in Brazil. It's not the buckling springs version, but I will get it nevertheless!

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #53 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 20:12:13 »
...but the whole point of getting an M is because of the BS...
SSKs for everyone!

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #54 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 20:13:31 »
I found a Model M to buy here in Brazil. It's not the buckling springs version, but I will get it nevertheless!
Nooo, don't do it! Rubber domes will sour you on the whole thing. A Unicomp will be much better than that. Everyone's arguing over the minutia of which version of a buckling spring board is better, but all will agree that EVER BS board is better than a rubber dome one.

Offline lcs

• Lover of Grape Drank
  • はやく
« Reply #55 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 20:19:12 »
Nooo, don't do it! Rubber domes will sour you on the whole thing. A Unicomp will be much better than that. Everyone's arguing over the minutia of which version of a buckling spring board is better, but all will agree that EVER BS board is better than a rubber dome one.

Oh :( I guess I'll get it nevertheless, just for collecting purposes! I'll keep using my filco until I get a BS board!

Offline smknjoe

• I like tactile, clicky, switches.
« Reply #56 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 20:22:50 »
It will only be collectable to you, but if you like it that's all that matters.
SSKs for everyone!

Offline BucklingSpring

« Reply #57 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 20:55:08 »
I drink to that. Do what he says. Don't listen to this whining. Buy the Unicomp.

I own many Unicomps. I once got one with a spacebar that looked bad. I emailed customer service and they sent me another spacebar, no question asked.

I don't know what you folks are smoking.

Unicomp may have allowed quality control to slip from IBM standards of 2 decades ago, but it is still the same keyboard made in the same factory on the same equipment.

The differences between original IBM and contemporary Unicomp are small, and if you want a buckling spring keyboard the Unicomp is a bargain. Brand new, the price is near the bottom of the range of any other mechanical keyboard. Also, some people prefer the Unicomp because they consider it "lighter" in feel.

OP, don't listen to this whining. Buy the Unicomp.

In memory of smallfry 1996-2013
Boards I own, click ->
More
Ducky x2 (9008G2 Pro PBT/MX Green and Mini MX Red), Matias x2 (QP and Mini QP Dampened ALPS), Topre RealForce x4 (87U 55g/Digilog case, 103U-UW & 104UG High-Profile x2), Filco Majestouch x2 (TKL MX Blue & V2 AI 104 MX Blue), IBM-M x2 (BS & RD), Unicomp-M x5 (BS black on black x2, BS Ivory x2, QT Ultra-Classic), Deck x4 (Legend MX Black & MX Clear, Hassium & Francium w/ MX Brown), DAS III (MX Blue), KBT Pure Pro 60% (MX Red), NMB-RT8256CW+ x2 (black space invader), XArmor U9BL-S (MX Brown) given for free to someone I hate, CM X2 (Trigger/MX Green + Storm TKL/NovaTouch), TVS GOLD (MX Blue) and a many many more (NMB, DELL, MS, ATT, KeyTronic, Etc...)

Offline 1391406

« Reply #58 on: Wed, 03 July 2013, 23:05:02 »
I drink to that. Do what he says. Don't listen to this whining.

Pointing out real, qualitative differences isn't whining.

Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline rootwyrm

• The Hands of Steel
    • My Website!
« Reply #59 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 01:15:13 »
I drink to that. Do what he says. Don't listen to this whining.

Pointing out real, qualitative differences isn't whining.

No it isn't. Pointing out real qualitative differences is the exact opposite of whining.

Especially when folks who use the "you're just whining" argument have regularly demonstrated they go nothing short of completely berserk when their Ducky rattles or creaks, argue endlessly about Filco ping, and frequently respond to real manufacturing defects like non-clicking switches with "oh just spend 6+ hours of your time and void the warranty to do it yourself you lamer." The whining argument is beyond dead horse material, beyond exhausted, and does nothing but destroy even the slightest shred of credibility.

If you show me a Unicomp is exactly as good as a Model M and people are complaining about minor variances which are ALSO present in a Model M? Then I might consider it overreaction or hyperbole. But I will also tell you as absolute fact that I have never encountered a Model M that creaked or rattled unless there was physical damage, never had any assembled chassis flex in the least, I have never had a set of IBM keycaps with more than minimal sprues - and never flashing. Not even on Greenock boards.
So unless you can show me a roughly equivalent production percentage of Model Ms with an equivalent level of both severity and number of specific complaints along with a similar 6/12/36 month failure rate...
"I remain convinced I am the only person alive who has successfully worn out an IBM Model M mechanically."
Daily Drivers: Adesso 625 (NPKC PBT / Kailh Blue), Rosewill RK9000V2 (KC PBT / MX Brown), 1994 Model M13, Sun Type4, and the rare IBM 1394540.

Offline Endzone

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 02:05:02 »
The model M is now between about 15 and 25 years old--right?  I you spend $79 on Ebay to buy one, it is still going to probably be 20 years old and used.  I went through this nostalgia thing with stereo gear.  I love the build quality of the Japanese stereo gear from the 1970's to mid 1980's.  It was fabulous gear!  I especially love the Sansui B-2201 amplifier and pre-amplifier.  I could have bought one at Kadina Air Base in Okinawa in 1988, but I didn't for some reason.  But, all gear wears over time--from age and use.  Most of this gear now has to have a lot of rework to get anywhere near the original sound.  As time goes on the gear gets older and more used.  I've had some used Model M's that were really great boards that I bought back in 2003 or so.  But now that they are so high in price, it just isn't worth it to me.  I'd rather have the Unicomp because it is new and because I hate dealing with EBay sellers.  I don't have to have the very best.  The Unicomp has to be better than these rubber dome pieces of crap I have been typing on for 3 years now. 

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #61 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 09:56:39 »
The Unicomp has to be better than these rubber dome pieces of crap I have been typing on for 3 years now. 

Amen! I'm anxious to buy one myself when they restock.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #62 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 14:28:54 »
The model M is now between about 15 and 25 years old--right?  I you spend $79 on Ebay to buy one, it is still going to probably be 20 years old and used.  I went through this nostalgia thing with stereo gear.  I love the build quality of the Japanese stereo gear from the 1970's to mid 1980's.  It was fabulous gear!  I especially love the Sansui B-2201 amplifier and pre-amplifier.  I could have bought one at Kadina Air Base in Okinawa in 1988, but I didn't for some reason.  But, all gear wears over time--from age and use.  Most of this gear now has to have a lot of rework to get anywhere near the original sound.  As time goes on the gear gets older and more used.  I've had some used Model M's that were really great boards that I bought back in 2003 or so.  But now that they are so high in price, it just isn't worth it to me.  I'd rather have the Unicomp because it is new and because I hate dealing with EBay sellers.  I don't have to have the very best.  The Unicomp has to be better than these rubber dome pieces of crap I have been typing on for 3 years now.

Never bought any of my Model Ms from Ebay. Went withclickykeyboards.com. They guarantee the quality of their boards and are very honest about their depiction of their merchandise. I was lucky enough to pick up some new (never before used, still in original packaging) boards from them, but the used ones worked just as well. Unfortunately, their stock is getting depleted and I heard they are planning to close their doors within the next 6-12 months. So, after that, those who want to buy Model Ms will be dependent on Ebay or contacts through Forums. For those interested in an IBM Model M, I  would still recommend trying to get an original rather than going with Unicomp. Otherwise, I would go with a top-notch new board that uses Cherry, Alps, or Topre switches, according to personal preference.

Offline 1391406

« Reply #63 on: Thu, 04 July 2013, 15:02:00 »

A Unicomp is better than using a rubber dome, but then so are a vast number of other mechanical keyboards. In my opinion, a brand new Unicomp is still qualitatively inferior to most 25 year old Model M's, but what you buy is obviously your prerogative.

Model M's age extremely well, though. Unlike a lot of other electronic gear, even 20 year old M's have a low failure rate and require very little maintenance, in my experience. Unless the case is damaged, a good cleaning can often make them look almost new.

Further, unless you live in a country where shipping costs would be excessive, you can find reasonably priced Model M's on eBay if you look around and exercise a little patience.

Just out of curiosity, where are the Model M's (plural?) you purchased in 2003?
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 July 2013, 15:03:42 by 1391406 »
Unicomp Classic | Chicony KB-5181 (Monterey Blues) | IBM Model M (1391401) | IBM XT Model F | IBM AT Model F | Dell AT101W | 122-key IBM Model F
IBM Model M13 | Apple Extended Keyboard | Apple Extended Keyboard II | MTEK K104 | NTC KB-6251/2 | Realforce 87U | Realforce 104U | Type Heaven

Offline Endzone

« Reply #64 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 02:26:07 »
Just out of curiosity, where are the Model M's (plural?) you purchased in 2003?

I think the board on the left I bought around 2003 and hammered on it for 4 years or so.  I might have put it in storage for a while, and my storage space had a water leak in the roof.  It did change its feel over the years if you ask me--the keys got a little softer.  Yes, it was abused, but I didn't buy them to show off.  I bought them because I loved typing on them.  And since I could always buy another one for 15 or 20 bucks, I didn't care if I abused it.  The board on the right was purchased around 2006 or 2007 to replace the board on the left.  But, the ctrl key on the new board was damaged in shipping or didn't work or something, so I took it off the old board and put it on the new board.  Thats why the key looks dirty compared to the other keys.  I got 2 more boards as backups, but unfortunately, I had to quickly move a lot of stuff out of storage and I trashed the two backup boards I had.  One was a parts board and the other one worked fine.  At one time I had 5 or 6 boards, but I can't remember the exact history.  Due to an illness now for 4 years, I've been poor, and I'm pissed that they are so expensive now--haha.  I guess that's the story.  In all honesty I would still prefer firmer keys on a Model M, but the model M is good enough. 

Offline Endzone

« Reply #65 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 02:44:31 »
Wow, here's one in Wichita Falls, and he says he's willing to ship.  That's about 100 miles from me.  I bet this won't last long:

http://wichitafalls.craigslist.org/sys/3911593831.html

Offline Endzone

« Reply #66 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 02:51:11 »
Here you go boys and girls.  Ad went up 7/3/2013:

Offline Endzone

« Reply #67 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 02:53:15 »
Now that's what I call reasonably priced--unless there is some quirk about them that I don't know about. 

Offline 1391406

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 05 July 2013, 03:35:02 »
Yes, that Model M appears to be in great condition and reasonably priced, in my opinion.