Author Topic: [IC] THINK6.5° - PC/Alu 65% Keyboard (Brass Raffle 4/13)  (Read 184614 times)

Offline PikaJoyce

Re: [IC] THINK6.5° — Polycarbonate 65% (new renders)
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 15:16:06 »
Pcb will have a built-in 4XRGB for your artisan glow dreams. I believe it’s first time a pcb is done with it. I had one custom made with this and it’s great.

Something like this.

(Attachment Link)

And on PCB, there will be 4 rgb LEDs soldered to circle the ESC key. Plate will be cut perfectly to accomodate those 4 leds

(Attachment Link)

That's pretty cool, man.  Might convince me to buy an artisan cap after all of these years.  Honestly, it might be cool just to have an polycarb milled cap that says THINK6.5
+1!
That's actually an amazing idea! I would totally pick one up if instead of a big gold badge, we get an artisan esc key that lights up!  I find that the badge is obtrusive, but having an artisan esc key that full takes in the 4 LEDs is a more unobtrusive way to display a "tag".

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 15:23:02 »
Pcb will have a built-in 4XRGB for your artisan glow dreams. I believe it’s first time a pcb is done with it. I had one custom made with this and it’s great.

Something like this.

(Attachment Link)

And on PCB, there will be 4 rgb LEDs soldered to circle the ESC key. Plate will be cut perfectly to accomodate those 4 leds

(Attachment Link)

That's pretty cool, man.  Might convince me to buy an artisan cap after all of these years.  Honestly, it might be cool just to have an polycarb milled cap that says THINK6.5
+1!
That's actually an amazing idea! I would totally pick one up if instead of a big gold badge, we get an artisan esc key that lights up!  I find that the badge is obtrusive, but having an artisan esc key that full takes in the 4 LEDs is a more unobtrusive way to display a "tag".

Hey thanks for the feedback! We will now provide the no-badge version.
For artisan - will see if I can find a good artist to work with!
What kind of matching artisan will be ideal?

Offline PikaJoyce

« Reply #102 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 15:37:45 »

Something like this.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

+1!

I know it might be difficult to mill a small PC keycap, but anything that can show off the LEDs as well as have Think 6.5 on it. It's a great alternative to having a giant badge. :)

Offline Bhk1004

« Reply #103 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 15:42:33 »
Damn you... I am a sucker for artisans...

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 15:49:00 »

Something like this.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

+1!

I know it might be difficult to mill a small PC keycap, but anything that can show off the LEDs as well as have Think 6.5 on it. It's a great alternative to having a giant badge. :)

Yeah probably has to be a Resin or Aluminum cap (with some shine through).
Honestly even without shine-through the 4XRGB effect still looks stunning, I will share some pictures soon. Translucent caps look particularly nice.

Offline PikaJoyce

« Reply #105 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 16:08:14 »

Something like this.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

+1!

Yeah probably has to be a Resin or Aluminum cap (with some shine through).
Honestly even without shine-through the 4XRGB effect still looks stunning, I will share some pictures soon. Translucent caps look particularly nice.
Both ideas sound wonderful. If this ends up happening and it's the right price, I'm definitely in.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #106 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 18:11:54 »
are there many who would prefer compatible layouts? We are considering a third case option compatible with wkl7u space, split bs, iso support. This will be accompanied by a non-hotswap pcb of course

We are planning for this:

214217-0

Let us know!
« Last Edit: Sun, 03 March 2019, 20:17:32 by oldcat »

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
« Reply #107 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 18:21:28 »
All in.

-Do I sound like you now?  :))

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #108 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 20:26:32 »
All in.

-Do I sound like you now?  :))

Thanks bro :) haha love this

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #109 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 20:32:08 »
My vote for Campatible Layout.

Offline Bhk1004

« Reply #110 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 20:43:36 »
definitely in... just not sure for what anymore haha.

Offline regionfree

« Reply #111 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 23:10:26 »
for the brass accent on top, can't you make the margin on the left side uniform with the top and bottom? it looks really odd.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #112 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 23:48:59 »
for the brass accent on top, can't you make the margin on the left side uniform with the top and bottom? it looks really odd.

Thanks!

The badge is being redesigned, font orientation and finetuning of the alignment. Rendering is taking a while and will be updated very soon

Offline blizzara01

« Reply #113 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 23:56:37 »

Something like this.

Not a valid vimeo URL

(Attachment Link)
Wow! That is great. I am dreaming for a breathing mode single color for HKP Specter artisan. It must be super cool.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Re: [IC] THINK6.5° — Polycarbonate 65%
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 03 March 2019, 23:58:38 »
Position 3.

Really like everything else about the board.

Any ideas on estimated price or timeframe ?

Hey both have been updated now:

1. Price under 300 dollars
2. Raffle late March, GB early April

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 00:41:47 »
Oh wow, I almost forgot: What about for split-keyboards?

My epiphany of 2018 is that: The easiest way to avoid having to deal with ratty long-ass spacebars is simply not having any long-ass spacebar in the first place :)

Something like 2.25u + 1u + 2.75u (to keep it similar to a 6u-spacebar layout) would be more than good enough.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 March 2019, 00:43:55 by nguyenhimself »

Offline Keebmeupscotty

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 01:24:33 »

Something like this.

Not a valid vimeo URL

(Attachment Link)

tr60w, which was available with the tr60 and Modern Dasher D60 also came with this feature. I think the runner said it was highly suggested from the Chinese group buy, so he added it to all of them. I ended up liking it more than I thought I would for sure. I think yours will be the first 65% offering it, I believe, though. Keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing the evolution of this project.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 09:46:06 »

Something like this.

Not a valid vimeo URL

(Attachment Link)

tr60w, which was available with the tr60 and Modern Dasher D60 also came with this feature. I think the runner said it was highly suggested from the Chinese group buy, so he added it to all of them. I ended up liking it more than I thought I would for sure. I think yours will be the first 65% offering it, I believe, though. Keep up the good work. Look forward to seeing the evolution of this project.

Thanks, that’s great to know!

I wasn’t keeping up with TR60, but yes, ESC 4XRGB is extremely popular in China. It can be achieved with a after market solution or a kit, but definitely easier if we build it into the pcb.

And thanks for the kind words!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #118 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 11:56:03 »
Oh wow, I almost forgot: What about for split-keyboards?

My epiphany of 2018 is that: The easiest way to avoid having to deal with ratty long-ass spacebars is simply not having any long-ass spacebar in the first place :)

Something like 2.25u + 1u + 2.75u (to keep it similar to a 6u-spacebar layout) would be more than good enough.

Is split spacebar a must-have for you?
Adding 6u split, or even 6.25u split will add more holes and cutouts to the supposedly "perfectly" cut thicc PC plate, I am kind of hesitant to do that. With the other keys as we increase compatibility, we need to cut a bit more as well, but we tried and cutouts were not too much.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #119 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:07:08 »
It appears some are not into brass badge, albeit #1 being my favorate.

How about I make the badge file opensourced after the GB, so you can customize it, and print out your own badge (for those who love #1 design), brass badge will still be included by default for #1 option.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:09:03 by oldcat »

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 12:56:45 »

Adding 6u split, or even 6.25u split will add more holes and cutouts to the supposedly "perfectly" cut thicc PC plate, I am kind of hesitant to do that. With the other keys as we increase compatibility, we need to cut a bit more as well, but we tried and cutouts were not too much.
+1 for keeping the current layout. Really not like a universal plate with too many cutout holes for different layout.

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #121 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 13:09:09 »
If there is to be a second PCB for accommodating compatibility, why not allow for split spacebar?  Keep the hot-swap version clean on the PCB.  Compatibility should be about compatibility, within reason anyway.

EDIT: Ah, you were talking about the plate.  Is a separate "compatibility" plate being offered?  Or at least the plate file so we can get our own cut if we want split space etc.?
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 March 2019, 13:11:06 by Sic_Alpha »

Offline noahf

« Reply #122 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 13:59:35 »
in for this. hoping this to be my first PC board

Offline jacky

Re: [IC] THINK6.5° — Polycarbonate 65% (updates)
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 14:00:04 »
Definitely interested and glad I discovered this before joining the E6.5, that built in 4.5mm plate is going to be amazing

Yes,good choice .

Offline V. Vega

« Reply #124 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 14:05:29 »
I didn't read through all the posts, so if this has been mentioned I apologize for repeating it.
I think you should consider a simple brass slab for the weight. certainly do some engraving if you want, but I think the full thick slab is a crucial part of what makes the Singa and the 910RE sound so good. I'm not sure if a PC case without that would have the same bassy sound to it.

I would also be really keen on seeing some colors if you're able to offer them. I'd love a light blue PC 65% board.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Re: [IC] THINK6.5° — Polycarbonate 65% (updates)
« Reply #125 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 14:17:20 »
Definitely interested and glad I discovered this before joining the E6.5, that built in 4.5mm plate is going to be amazing

Thanks for the support!

E6.5 design is pretty good for the aluminum version I think (albeit a bit too expensive IMHO - this comment is not specific to Exclusive but to all the expensive boards with limited quantities).

From the design perspective, I don't really see a significant advantage doing gasket mount for the PC version (gasket-mount was initially in our design choice but we opted for a thick PC plate after some testings of plate materials) as you don't get the metal sound with PC board (as would in a typical top mount alu on alu or brass on alu).

Offline Water lee

« Reply #126 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 14:18:43 »
Anyone can tell me is still manufacturing by ALF?

I haven’t see it on thread ,I love this design but this answe is important to me

Thanks  :D
make it better!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #127 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 14:21:50 »
I didn't read through all the posts, so if this has been mentioned I apologize for repeating it.
I think you should consider a simple brass slab for the weight. certainly do some engraving if you want, but I think the full thick slab is a crucial part of what makes the Singa and the 910RE sound so good. I'm not sure if a PC case without that would have the same bassy sound to it.

I would also be really keen on seeing some colors if you're able to offer them. I'd love a light blue PC 65% board.

Thanks bro, for the very useful information.

The history was that the original brass weight is actually like a slab with engravings, there were some strong opinions against it (mainly the engravings being too complicated I believe). The current version of the brass weight is liked by many, but is not final. I dont think it looks good enough. We are revising it and renders will come very soon

By the way, the integrated thicc PC plate will sound and feel great!

Potter has agreed to do a live stream for assembling and typing on THINK6.5 with Holy Pandas I sourced for him :)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #128 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 14:22:41 »

I haven’t see it on thread ,I love this design but this answe is important to me

Gray Studio and Factories, I have responded to that question in a separate post and in the main post :)

Offline Water lee

« Reply #129 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 14:36:29 »

Gray Studio and Factories, I have responded to that question in a separate post and in the main post :)
Thanks Sir
I am in for one  :D
make it better!

Offline V. Vega

« Reply #130 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 14:45:58 »

The history was that the original brass weight is actually like a slab with engravings, there were some strong opinions against it (mainly the engravings being too complicated I believe). The current version of the brass weight is liked by many, but is not final. I dont think it looks good enough. We are revising it and renders will come very soon

Potter has agreed to do a live stream for assembling and typing on THINK6.5 with Holy Pandas I sourced for him :)
Not a bro  ;D
I think the current grill design you have posted looks cheap to be completely honest, and the first one was too intricate with so much going on. I think there's a good middle ground somewhere between the two!
I'm looking forward to seeing a typing test with it because I really do like it!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 14:55:06 »

Not a bro  ;D
I think the current grill design you have posted looks cheap to be completely honest, and the first one was too intricate with so much going on. I think there's a good middle ground somewhere between the two!
I'm looking forward to seeing a typing test with it because I really do like it!

:) Thanks
Still working on it, the brass weight design will converge soon, hopefully, something great that most people will call it a true endgame :)

Offline otanishock

• ファーストラブ
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 15:13:55 »
I think you should consider a simple brass slab for the weight. certainly do some engraving if you want, but I think the full thick slab is a crucial part of what makes the Singa and the 910RE sound so good.

^Very much this! Originally joined E6.5 for PC but ended up not to due to the lack of a thick brass slab on a PC case. Polycarb without a thick heavy brass slab can't be good imo.

Bummer that you dropped the original weight design. Grills kinda looks like kbd67's weight which I hate. Could definitely reduce the detail to reduce machining cost, but I still ship the original brass slap concept much more.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #133 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 15:16:55 »
I think you should consider a simple brass slab for the weight. certainly do some engraving if you want, but I think the full thick slab is a crucial part of what makes the Singa and the 910RE sound so good.

^Very much this! Originally joined E6.5 for PC but ended up not to due to the lack of a thick brass slab on a PC case. Polycarb without a thick heavy brass slab can't be good imo.

Bummer that you dropped the original weight design. Grills kinda looks like kbd67's weight which I hate. Could definitely reduce the detail to reduce machining cost, but I still ship the original brass slap concept much more.

Thanks for the feedback. This is very helpful!

The motivation to change to the current version was definitely not due to costs, but feedback on the original patterns. I was actually not aware of KBD67's weight, but looking at it now, it is similar and I am changing it. We have several design ideas for the brass weight and working hard to converge to one.

The weight design is not final, and because I designed it to be my own endgame, the case + weight will be heavy enough to qualify as an endgame :)

I also agree the weight on E6.5 is too small for a PC case, it's going to be too light, albeit I think on aluminum it's fine.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 March 2019, 15:20:55 by oldcat »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #134 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 16:31:58 »

Thanks Sir
I am in for one  :D

Thanks for the support!

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 16:56:45 »
are there many who would prefer compatible layouts? We are considering a third case option compatible with wkl7u space, split bs, iso support. This will be accompanied by a non-hotswap pcb of course

(Attachment Link)

Let us know!

This would be my ideal version of this board TBH! Hotswap is not really a big draw for me & I've grown super accustom to a split backspace, I use it on almost all of my boards. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that is almost a make or break feature for me. Also really like the ideal of having the option for WKL with a 7u space bar as I have my RedscarfII+ ver.C set up that way & find it very comfortable so thats a big bonus for me. Honestly even if I had to pay extra for a non hotswap PCB with more compatibility I would find that preferable than being stuck with a fixed layout hotswap PCB.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 17:09:09 »

(Attachment Link)

Let us know!

This would be my ideal version of this board TBH! Hotswap is not really a big draw for me & I've grown super accustom to a split backspace, I use it on almost all of my boards. I think I mentioned earlier in this thread that is almost a make or break feature for me. Also really like the ideal of having the option for WKL with a 7u space bar as I have my RedscarfII+ ver.C set up that way & find it very comfortable so thats a big bonus for me. Honestly even if I had to pay extra for a non hotswap PCB with more compatibility I would find that preferable than being stuck with a fixed layout hotswap PCB.

It will be same price, no worries. I just hope enough people will actually join for the compatible layout non-hotswap version, so I don't need to buy extra PCBs to help meet MOQ (as I already am not planning to take a profit) :) Help me spread words about this option being available will help this project a long way!

Offline Bhk1004

Re: [IC] THINK6.5° — Polycarbonate 65% (added compatible layout option)
« Reply #137 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 18:23:26 »
what is the moq by pcb?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #138 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 20:51:25 »
what is the moq by pcb?

If I use regular PCB craftsmanship it can be 20 or 25
We are doing something special. This is a better craftsmanship similar to Wilba's PCB. 50 is MOQ for each PCB design.

Offline mellen

« Reply #139 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 21:00:52 »
please get rid of the designed by engraving, nothing against you but i think its a turn off for most ppl, having think 6.5 should be enough

Offline dr_unconscionable

• [sqeleton]
« Reply #140 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 21:11:45 »

(Attachment Link)

Let us know!

It will be same price, no worries. I just hope enough people will actually join for the compatible layout non-hotswap version, so I don't need to buy extra PCBs to help meet MOQ (as I already am not planning to take a profit) :) Help me spread words about this option being available will help this project a long way!

I would also get a non-hotswap board for this! I don't think you'll be left with a bunch of leftover PCBs :)

Also agreed that having a solid weight is preferable, so long as the design is less busy. Look forward to seeing updated images!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #141 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 21:49:08 »
please get rid of the designed by engraving, nothing against you but i think its a turn off for most ppl, having think 6.5 should be enough

Hey thanks for the feedback.
Sorry due to the non-profit nature of this GB for me personally, and the amount of work I put into the project, we've decided that the designer credit part will stay in a very non-conspicuous way :) Won't make it as intrusive

Offline flying1911

• Mechlovin' Studio
« Reply #142 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 22:06:33 »

Sorry due to the non-profit nature of this GB for me personally, and the amount of work I put into the project, we've decided that the designer credit part will stay in a very non-conspicuous way :) Won't make it as intrusive

How about a logo?  :)) :))

Jane V2 | Jane CE | Jane V2 CE | Police | Kaze | KMAC 2 | BRG Haus | Sessantacinque | Ori CLS-2 FE | Dalco 959 Mini | Mechlovin' Unikorn | G81-3100 SAV | Model M SSK

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

« Reply #143 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 22:28:12 »
I think a brass weight with 'Think6.5' or 'Think Big' would be nice.

Offline sleepy

« Reply #144 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 23:00:01 »
looks nice

Offline booleanjulien

« Reply #145 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 23:08:37 »
Underglow + SMD per-switch on the hotswap PCB... that would be amazing!

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #146 on: Mon, 04 March 2019, 23:12:19 »
I like the logo idea but perhaps just the glasses and whiskers ?
Something like that could go on the badge as well I think :)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #147 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 00:17:15 »

Show Image

This color will be cool for Olivia :)

Awesome idea. I haven’t thought about glasses on a cat. Worth a shot. Will think about it
Currently working on a differnt weight design will share soon

Offline maximize

« Reply #148 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 09:46:45 »

Show Image

Awesome idea. I haven’t thought about glasses on a cat. Worth a shot. Will think about it

I believe that flying1911 was joking about the cat logo. At least, I really hope they were. A logo like that would be super tacky.  :-[

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #149 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 10:02:25 »
Hey friends!

Our new plan is to follow the approaches something similar to Singa/Leaf/Others, an internal brass (probably a bit narrower than Singa's) and put the following patter like this with the gears cut out in place of the lion head. Not sure if it should be one piece or two pieces of brass but if there is any feedback let us know!

Any probably need to fix the font to a off-the-shelf one.

214326-0

214328-1