Author Topic: [IC] THINK6.5° - PC/Alu 65% Keyboard (Brass Raffle 4/13)  (Read 183366 times)

Offline Sic_Alpha

Re: [IC] THINK6.5° — Polycarbonate 65% (added compatible layout option)
« Reply #150 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 10:08:56 »
I like it!  Kind of makes me think of Incan or Mayan symbols a bit.  Pretty cool  :thumb:

Offline lolafineday

« Reply #151 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 10:21:15 »
Hey friends!

Our new plan is to follow the approaches something similar to Singa/Leaf/Others, an internal brass (probably a bit narrower than Singa's) and put the following patter like this with the gears cut out in place of the lion head. Not sure if it should be one piece or two pieces of brass but if there is any feedback let us know!

Any probably need to fix the font to a off-the-shelf one.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
I like floating brass, I approve!

Offline dbrc

« Reply #152 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 11:52:22 »
Hey friends!

Our new plan is to follow the approaches something similar to Singa/Leaf/Others, an internal brass (probably a bit narrower than Singa's) and put the following patter like this with the gears cut out in place of the lion head. Not sure if it should be one piece or two pieces of brass but if there is any feedback let us know!

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

I like the look of the redesigned platter compared to the grate version for sure.

I will say after seeing a Singa and TGR 910 get built on TaehaTypes stream I'm pretty excited for this IC to come to fruition and for another Polycarb keyboard offering that will have all the features I'm looking for and would fit my current budget.
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 March 2019, 12:00:26 by dbrc »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 12:06:23 »
After 2 days of work, the compatible layout plate has been completed.

Attention to detail! Notice that the little rounded edges on each switch slot will cost quite a lot more money to machine, but we do it to make the plate perfect for MX style swithces (optimizing fitness tolerance and force required to push in the switch).

"You will no longer need to go to the gym and exercise your fingers to be able to push a holy panda to the plate!"

214338-0

Offline nguyenhimself

« Reply #154 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 12:31:58 »
Hey friends!

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Personally I’d prefer for the H to be more “I-I” shaped and less “I·I”, but it’s not a big deal.

This IC is shaping up nicely. Between this and my HHKB and the upcoming Plaid ortho, it sure looks like I’m ditching all metal plates now.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #155 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 12:35:49 »
Hey friends!

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Personally I’d prefer for the H to be more “I-I” shaped and less “I·I”, but it’s not a big deal.

This IC is shaping up nicely. Between this and my HHKB and the upcoming Plaid ortho, it sure looks like I’m ditching all metal plates now.

Thanks for the kind words and nice suggestion.
Yes, the plan is to use some more conventional but cool fonts. I designed this font yesterday, but I have the same feeling as you, it is probably not as good as some off-the-shelf font solutions.

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #156 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 12:46:23 »
Other than no split-space love... looking good on the plate!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #157 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 12:48:20 »
Other than no split-space love... looking good on the plate!

The default 2 options (Option 1 and Option 2) will be minimal cuts with just ANSI + stepped caps support, but compatibility is sacrificed, it's a tradeoff after all :) I think we designed it in a way that split backspace part's cut does not look too bad :)

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #158 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 12:52:48 »
Agreed!  I'm now one of those who sees split backspace as a must-have after having it.  Can't stand ANSI placement of backspace after switching to split.  Split-space is a luxury, not yet a must-have  ;)
« Last Edit: Tue, 05 March 2019, 12:54:49 by Sic_Alpha »

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
« Reply #159 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 12:55:03 »
Agreed!  And I'm now one of those who see split backspace as a must-have after having it.  Can't stand ANSI placement of it after switching.  Split-space is a luxury, not yet a must-have ;-)

I feel you, man. I have a whitefox in truefox layout a while ago and if only I can get used to it after many years of 6-8-hour typing sessions every day. Truefox split backspace layout looks amazing, and it should work amazingly too, but I could not switch after trying a month.

Hope you are happy with the current plate design for #3 option!

Offline Sic_Alpha

« Reply #160 on: Tue, 05 March 2019, 12:57:20 »
Hope you are happy with the current plate design for #3 option!

I'm happy with #3  :thumb:

Offline Cods

• Penumbra SA Mark II please?
Looks really great - I would totally be in, however for me, my next keyboard needs to do Bluetooth.
All the best, your hard work looks like a winner!
Model M Industrial, SSK, Unicomp 104, Code TKL MX Green, FC660M MX Green + Clear + White + Grey, FC660C Topre 45g, MagicForce 68 USB and Bluetooth, Whitefox, some optical switch 65% Bluetooth split spacebar thing ... wait, I think I need an intervention. Too late, there’s a couple of new Model Fs on the way.
Too much SA is never enough.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Looks really great - I would totally be in, however for me, my next keyboard needs to do Bluetooth.

A compatible Bluetooth PCB is coming later :)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Was working on some sketches for the brass badge (2U blocker for #1 Option) in between working meetings, and trying to get some feedback before finalizing it tonight.

What do you guys think? Let me know which one you like and how it can be improved.

The upper 3 circles are for the 3 LEDs.

214341-0

Offline lolafineday

Hey old cat I’m wondering how pc case is different from alu ive neve had a polycarb case. Thanks

Offline lolafineday

Was working on some sketches for the brass badge (2U blocker for #1 Option) in between working meetings, and trying to get some feedback before finalizing it tonight.

What do you guys think? Let me know which one you like and how it can be improved.

The upper 3 circles are for the 3 LEDs.

(Attachment Link)
The bigger one imo it looks better and simpler

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Hey old cat I’m wondering how pc case is different from alu ive neve had a polycarb case. Thanks

For me, this design is optimized for typing sound as I choose to make a thicc PC integrated board (kind of doesn't make sense to use a aluminum bottom with PC top). Generally, PC boards are rarer (more coming out recently) and a bit more expensive to make due to the higher failure rate in production. In the past (even now) they are sold in pretty high prices, especially if you add a large brass weight to increase the weight of the case. But the high PC prices will hopefully end here :)

I think many people like how it looks and how it feels. Also, if you like visuals, it's pretty awesome. We have built in a few visual components (underglow, 4XRGB on ESC and 3 LEDs above the badge position).

Offline linyaofred

so exciting to see this oldcat production. just add it to my must-buy list.

Offline voxkey

Any chance to get split backspace included on the hotswap PCB, using Millmax instead of Kailh sockets just in that location? I think may be quite a few people that would prefer it and it'd be pretty unique.

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

Any chance for a blank brass blocker badge?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Any chance for a blank brass blocker badge?

Will open source the badge file later, so you can print out a blank one :)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Almost final version for the brass badge
Making some final changes to the lightbulb

Think will be engraved, and there is a chamfered slope, and 6 5 and light bulb will be carved (floating)
Edges on the think side chamfered

214393-0

214395-1

214397-2

214399-3

Offline omjak

For me, this design is optimized for typing sound as I choose to make a thicc PC integrated board (kind of doesn't make sense to use a aluminum bottom with PC top).

is the typing sound optimization (ie. thick plate) specific to a particular type of switch? (clicky/tactile/linear)
I understand the opinion is subjective, but from your personal point of view, which specific switches have you tested that you liked the typing sound the most?

Offline Furikurichemy

Really liking the new badge!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Ok optimized the lightbulb a bit. Here is the final badge for prototyping after many days and nights of work. Really need to send it to factory to make it on time

Regarding lighting for this board:

8 SMD LEDs underglow, 1 4XRGB LEDs on ESC, 3 LEDs under the upper line above the badge

214418-0

214420-1

214422-2
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 March 2019, 01:04:54 by oldcat »

Offline sarsaparillagorilla

I'm super excited for this shizzzZ!!!!!!!

Offline Bhk1004

Cant wait to see the prototype when it comes in!

Offline finalarcadia

Badge reads like "605". I'd remove the lightbulb altogether, and move 6.5 to bottom side and "think" to upper. Simplicity is key IMO.

Also I don't like the weight at all, shame too because I was excited about this one. I'd suggest a single or couple gears, freestanding like the singa lion. And of course the slab on inner side.

Something like the attached.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline nguyenhimself

Badge reads like "605". I'd remove the lightbulb altogether, and move 6.5 to bottom side and "think" to upper. Simplicity is key IMO.

Also I don't like the weight at all, shame too because I was excited about this one. I'd suggest a single or couple gears, freestanding like the singa lion. And of course the slab on inner side.

Something like the attached.
Show Image

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk
But that’s just... boring.
I think recent iterations have shown lots of potentials and improvements.
We now have lots of options for custom keyboard kits. About time we let more personalities shine through and more diverse tastes than just minimalism.
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 March 2019, 08:44:08 by nguyenhimself »

Offline Bhk1004

I still think the logo should have been a cat.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Final badge and weight design for prototyping. Badge is only for #1 layout. All three layouts sent for prototype production.
We left the space for an additional brass bar behind the weight. Will test if we need that additional weight

214456-0

214458-1

214460-2

214462-3

214464-4

214466-5

Offline ninjacore

New badge and weight are SO MUCH better!  Nice work :)

Offline Bhk1004

Ugh. Take the money now.

Offline pcire

The weight looks sick! Especially on the PC case! Good job man!

Offline Sic_Alpha

Is it too late to suggest split backspace for layout #2 to have the hot-swap?  it's possible, the Scarlet Bandana's PCB allows for both ANSI and split backspace on the same PCB with hot-swap.  I'd go for layout #2 so I can also have hot-swap if you offered that.

New renders looking very nice!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Is it too late to suggest split backspace for layout #2 to have the hot-swap?  it's possible, the Scarlet Bandana's PCB allows for both ANSI and split backspace on the same PCB with hot-swap.  I'd go for layout #2 so I can also have hot-swap if you offered that.

New renders looking very nice!

Thanks for the feedback! It is possible, but I think the switches won't fit as tight as just ANSI, because the stab slot is slightly larger than the switch slot. With hotswap I think you really want a good fit. Therefore, option #3 is fine because soldering will make it very stable.

If there is a good solution without compromising too much the "perfect fit" principle for #1 and #2, we can certainly consider.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
The weight looks sick! Especially on the PC case! Good job man!

Thank bro, for the strong support!

Offline PikaJoyce

I'm really hoping to get more traction on this so you and Potter can get some cut of profit :(! Lets spread the word!

How's the artisan esc idea coming along? ;D

Offline Chimera

Man. I wish this was going to be offered in aluminum because the brass stuff looks really nice, but I do get your point about other boards

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
I'm really hoping to get more traction on this so you and Potter can get some cut of profit :(! Lets spread the word!

How's the artisan esc idea coming along? ;D

Thank you so much for the strong support! As I mentioned in my post, my motivation has nothing to do with monetary incentives, so I will do this GB pro bono for sure. Designing this board for myself and for those who also love 65% and want to try PC. Yes, I certainly agree that it will be better if Potter can earn some money, because it is his day job and income source. The more people join, the manufacturing cost is lower, the higher chance he will make a reasonable profit for his time and efforts. So please kindly help spread some good words :)

For the matching artisan, haven't had a good idea yet. Good ones usually around 60-100 dollars and it's quite expensive compared to the board. haha. That said, any translucent or even regular caps will look great with the 4XRGB. Here are some pictures with a 4XRGB kit you need to solder, for this board we will pre-solder it in factory (on PCB): https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=97005

This 4XRGB mod is a must-have in the Chinese enthusiast community, now we make it built-in :)

Not a valid vimeo URL
Not a valid vimeo URL

« Last Edit: Wed, 06 March 2019, 20:42:01 by oldcat »

Offline mgsickler

Let’s get this GB going! I’m excited for this one. Great job!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Let’s get this GB going! I’m excited for this one. Great job!

Hey Mike!! Thanks for stopping by the post. Excited to have your support!

(Just ordered 10 sets of 65% screw-in stabilizers from your Novelkeys store. Haha.)
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 March 2019, 22:17:40 by oldcat »

Offline keysRus

1. So excited for this gb. Was planning on getting an m60 from this latest round but decided this is my preferred "end game" board for now and will be passing that up for this beaut.
2. Amazingly impressed with the way you implemented feedback from the community.
3. If I get the compatible layout case, will i be able to buy an extra hotswap pcb and use that with it? Will snugness be an issue if so?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
1. So excited for this gb. Was planning on getting an m60 from this latest round but decided this is my preferred "end game" board for now and will be passing that up for this beaut.
2. Amazingly impressed with the way you implemented feedback from the community.
3. If I get the compatible layout case, will i be able to buy an extra hotswap pcb and use that with it? Will snugness be an issue if so?

Thank you for the kind words! Glad you love this design, and the design definitely have benefited from the wisdom of the community.

Edit: will test if hotswap will fit compatible layout, if you use PCB-mount switches it should probably be ok but hotswap will only support ANSI with stepped caps compatibility :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 06 March 2019, 22:56:39 by oldcat »

Offline coffeeshopcoder

This has just become the must buy for me. I am broke. I know this. My wife does not. I hope she does not find out.

I love the new weight design. How is it screwed on though ?

This will be my first PC case. Is there anything I need to know about the material ?

Offline lolafineday

This has just become the must buy for me. I am broke. I know this. My wife does not. I hope she does not find out.

I love the new weight design. How is it screwed on though ?

This will be my first PC case. Is there anything I need to know about the material ?
It’s gonna be lighter than aluminum, but generally the sound is better since it vibrates less.

Offline vegs

:))
hhkb | hhkb bt | cherry g80-5000 | haus | unikorn se

buy less

Offline ReDsNoTDeAd

• RNDKBD
Is there an option for no badge? I don't like the look of the badge but I love the idea of a sub 300 PC case.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Is there an option for no badge? I don't like the look of the badge but I love the idea of a sub 300 PC case.

Yes option #2 and #3 do not have a brass badge

214559-0

Offline BobCarltheThird

I just want to say that I REALLY appreciate how open to ideas Oldcat has been for this project. It's gone from something that I originally planned on passing up to something that's a definite buy as soon as the GB launches. I can't wait to get my hands on this board. :thumb:
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys