Author Topic: [IC] THINK6.5° - PC/Alu 65% Keyboard (Brass Raffle 4/13)  (Read 183362 times)

Offline igke

It's been an interesting thread so far.
Must say it looks like i'm in for my first PC case.

Not a big fan of the branding text on the back. I really like the weight design and integrated plate.

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
NE split backspace support for the one with badge?

Offline keysRus

1. So excited for this gb. Was planning on getting an m60 from this latest round but decided this is my preferred "end game" board for now and will be passing that up for this beaut.
2. Amazingly impressed with the way you implemented feedback from the community.
3. If I get the compatible layout case, will i be able to buy an extra hotswap pcb and use that with it? Will snugness be an issue if so?

Thank you for the kind words! Glad you love this design, and the design definitely have benefited from the wisdom of the community.

Edit: will test if hotswap will fit compatible layout, if you use PCB-mount switches it should probably be ok but hotswap will only support ANSI with stepped caps compatibility :)
I know the hotswap only allows for ansi, I was gonna run hotswap as normal when I first got it, and once i decided on my dream switches, solder them onto the compatible pcb and run a more hhkb style of layout. Lemme know what ya find about running that hotswap pcb in the compatible case.

Offline empa

keep up the great work. really enjoying the design

Offline finalarcadia

Any chance for a 2nd bottom piece option available with no weight? Could be a nice alternative for those of us who night not like the weight design or just want a light board to carry around.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Any chance for a 2nd bottom piece option available with no weight? Could be a nice alternative for those of us who night not like the weight design or just want a light board to carry around.

Sent from my Pixel 3 using Tapatalk

Thank you for the feedback!
We will provide the weight information for the built kit very soon. We can omit the brass bar behind the weight (see that horizontal rectangle), or use some other cool material there.

Offline AlcoholEnthusiast

Is brass badge going to be PVD or Sandblasted?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Is brass badge going to be PVD or Sandblasted?

Brass badge will be fine polished and then PVD treatment

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
With the final design where do the original 3 LEDs go? They will be above the badge area, underneath the pc surface which will be a natural diffuser. Also check out our second pic on PCB. We will provide hotswap sip sockets and some different colors of LEDs for you to play with.

You can plug in and play (just don’t mess with positive-negative slots, long leg positive (square), short leg negative(circle)).

214611-0

214613-1
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 March 2019, 16:23:39 by oldcat »

Offline Sic_Alpha

Very cool!

Also, concerning my earlier post, I've got nothing for ideas for how to make hot-swap split backspace a guarantee for snug fit.  It was just me spewing out ideas  :))  I'm still down for layout 3.  I'm liking the indicator lights with the badge though, I may have to convince my better half that I need more than one of them. Haha fat chance of that  :p

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Interest Check Form and Polls

Dear friends, for those of you who already submitted a form, please kindly update your form based on the new layout poll:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1KRWAYYYrB1h_g5ScqGBNsXAQZ2xYPu9bjIPLAIRx--4

Offline Audiobs

Dear friends, for those of you who already submitted a form, please kindly update your form based on the new layout poll:

Hi Oldcat, just saw this IC and I have to say you are a godsend for making this available! So no flexible spiit backspace for layout No. 1 for certain?

Offline mellen

i like the idea of the additional brass bar for more weight

Offline Bhk1004

Think if weight is sufficient, should  leave as is, with an optional weight for people that like some heft. Anywho over 1kg and I am in.

Offline keysRus

I'm fine with paying extra if its not the majority's choice for more weight or even if it's over 1kg without the extra bar. I want heeeeeffffttttt :D

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
It's been an interesting thread so far.
Must say it looks like i'm in for my first PC case.

Not a big fan of the branding text on the back. I really like the weight design and integrated plate.

thanks for the feedback, we are making the text smaller

Offline swangful

filled out IC, looking good  :cool:

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Hi Oldcat, just saw this IC and I have to say you are a godsend for making this available! So no flexible spiit backspace for layout No. 1 for certain?

Hey man, thanks for the kind words!

A challenge with compatible regular bs and split bs is the inability to provide tight fitness to the two switches due to the stab cutouts. We will test to see if there is a way. Worst case we have #3 :)

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻

A challenge with compatible regular bs and split bs is the inability to provide tight fitness to the two switches due to the stab cutouts. We will test to see if there is a way. Worst case we have #3 :)

Glad to hear you are gonna test this out! As a case with a badge using the solder on PCB so I could do a split backspace layout would definitely be what I would choose if it's offered in the GB. I honestly don't think the switches sitting a little loose because of the stabilizer cut outs is a huge deal. In fact it wouldn't be a problem at all if you use PCB mount switches & you would just have to be extra careful to make sure plate mount switches are not crooked before soldering.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Glad to hear you are gonna test this out! As a case with a badge using the solder on PCB so I could do a split backspace layout would definitely be what I would choose if it's offered in the GB. I honestly don't think the switches sitting a little loose because of the stabilizer cut outs is a huge deal. In fact it wouldn't be a problem at all if you use PCB mount switches & you would just have to be extra careful to make sure plate mount switches are not crooked before soldering.

That makes very good sense, but #1 layout won’t be my perfect board anymore, being a little loose. That said, I will test all three cases and keep you updated.

Offline Cyrus

I'm concerned about the weight with integrated PC plate, brass weight but no brass badge. Is there a weight estimate? I would like a little heft although with it being mostly PC that might be hard?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
I'm concerned about the weight with integrated PC plate, brass weight but no brass badge. Is there a weight estimate? I would like a little heft although with it being mostly PC that might be hard?

Don’t worry, weight estimate is coming soon.
If it is lower than 1kg we will add a brass or Alu bar behind the current weight (see the slot)

Offline Pennywise359

So no split backspace for version with badge/spacer?

Offline ninjacore

So no split backspace for version with badge/spacer?

@Pennywise359, I'm interpreting @oldcat's comment to mean that there _will_ be split backspace support, but it might not be on the hotswap PCB option.  So, there will be a hotswap PCB option without split bs support and solderable PCB option with it.

Offline maximize

"Design finalized" means it's too late to remove the text on the back, doesn't it? :(

Offline otanishock

• One of the cool kids :>
  • ファーストラブ
@Pennywise359, I'm interpreting @oldcat's comment to mean that there _will_ be split backspace support, but it might not be on the hotswap PCB option.  So, there will be a hotswap PCB option without split bs support and solderable PCB option with it.
The solderable PCB that supports split backspace does not have a cut out blocker for the badge, which I think Pennywise was referring to.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
"Design finalized" means it's too late to remove the text on the back, doesn't it? :(

Hey thanks for the feedback!

since this is a pro bono project from my perspective, i think it’s unfair to request that I remove the text entirely. That said, I will make the text smaller in the final version so it does not look as intrusive. Will also drop the “by” in there.

Offline igke

You are being very flexible. That is very much appreciated. Excited for the final product!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

You are being very flexible. That is very much appreciated. Excited for the final product!

Thanks, bro, for the kind words.

Always listening and happy to fine-tune the details based on constructive feedback.

Offline HAYAN

love that weight design

I'm so excited that I can't wait until the GB start

Offline Sic_Alpha

Something I just thought about for the compatible layout.  Assuming that it won't have the indicator lights, will the Caps Lock backlight have the ability to show state instead of just being a backlight?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Something I just thought about for the compatible layout.  Assuming that it won't have the indicator lights, will the Caps Lock backlight have the ability to show state instead of just being a backlight?

Hey if I understand correctly, you are asking, for the non-hotswap pcb, if we will have a capslock led slot that when pressed, will light up?

Offline Sic_Alpha

Hey if I understand correctly, you are asking, for the non-hotswap pcb, if we will have a capslock led slot that when pressed, will light up?

More of the backlight LED underneath the Caps Lock keycap.  The DZ60 that I have uses the backlight underneath the Caps Lock keycap to identify state of the Caps Lock.  If the caps lock is on, it will reverse the state of its backlight respective to the remainder of the board's backlighting.  I.E.

If the board backlighting is off, Caps Lock is on > Caps Lock backlight will be on
If the board backlighting is on, Caps Lock is on > Caps Lock backlight will be off
etc.

A separate state LED would be cool too though.

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻

That makes very good sense, but #1 layout won’t be my perfect board anymore, being a little loose. That said, I will test all three cases and keep you updated.
:thumb:

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
THINK6.5 3D-Print Prototype passes all tests! Perfect fit with different kinds of switches. Off to CNC prototype this weekend. Stay tuned!!

214746-0

214748-1

« Last Edit: Fri, 08 March 2019, 22:48:02 by oldcat »

Offline MTXjunkie

Can’t wait for these to go live

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Very exciting to see the printed prototype.  Now we need to talk about case colors... you have to get a black one to match Gateron Ink switches!  It would be amazing!

Also, is that a zeal stabilizer?  Just checking to make sure they fit.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 March 2019, 22:43:30 by pixelpusher »

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
P.S.

I would totally buy a printed case too :)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
P.S.

CNC-machined one will be sooooo much better! :)

Offline Bhk1004

P.S.

CNC-machined one will be sooooo much better! :)

Send me both. I'll let you know if I agree.

Offline ttot

I have only one question, pcb will be transparent?
RAMA M60-A(LAKE) | RAMA KOYU(HAZE) | RAMA M60-A SEQ2(MILK) | RAMA M6-C(MILK) | RAMA M65-B(ICED) | RAMA M6-C(ICED)
SA Pulse(R3) + Mitolet | GMK Jamón | GMK Calm Depths | GMK Chocolatier | GMK Minimal | GMK Striker | GMK Pulse(Mitolet) | GMK Phosphorous | GMK Peach Blossom | GMK Nautilus 2 | GMK Bleached | GMK Pono | GMK Pixel | GMK Metropolis R2 | GMK DUALSHOT 2 | SA Polyclear

Offline BobCarltheThird

I very much doubt it but that'd be awesome.
***loads of Vaseline for my meme TMO50 -- Acereconkeys

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Adding some white caps .)

214766-0

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Have you guys seen this "glass coating" stuff you can put on polycarb to keep it from scratching?  (10H Permanent Ceramic Coating) Not sure i've ever seen it, but looks promising.  I'm hooked on this guy's videos

Offline PikaJoyce

Have you guys seen this "glass coating" stuff you can put on polycarb to keep it from scratching?  (10H Permanent Ceramic Coating) Not sure i've ever seen it, but looks promising.  I'm hooked on this guy's videos

This is also a really good idea. I think the biggest problem with PC is the scratching. So having some way to prevent such a fragile material from getting hurt would be to coat it.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Looks very interesting coating!
Thanks for sharing

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

I have done some tests for the transparent pcb project. It can only be made at limited quantities at a very high price as of now. Still working on that to see if we can scale it and bring the cost down. Probably won't be any time soon though, transparent pcb project is just a work in progress.

Offline Tree_

Probably should know the answer to this is no without even asking, but: Any chance of the 660 layout without the badge?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Probably should know the answer to this is no without even asking, but: Any chance of the 660 layout without the badge?

Hey we will make the badge file open sourced, you can probably 3D print or CNC your own badge :)

Offline Visionaire

Whew buddy that's a sweet board.