Author Topic: [IC] THINK6.5° - PC/Alu 65% Keyboard (Brass Raffle 4/13)  (Read 183377 times)

Offline ninjacore

No stabilizers unfortunately, like any other keyboard GB on Geekhack :) Feel free to buy them from novelkeys, it’s about 10 dollars for a whole set and they ship very fast.

Fusion60 came with stabs, so fair question

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
No stabilizers unfortunately, like any other keyboard GB on Geekhack :) Feel free to buy them from novelkeys, it’s about 10 dollars for a whole set and they ship very fast.

Thanks, I did not know Fusion60 came with stabs. Sorry, I do not have a way to source a large number of stabilizers.

Offline TuCZnak

Took a day to fine tune and almost done before polishing and sandblast for frosting

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Whoa, that looks nice, rename board to Thicc 6.5 :cool:

Offline ninjacore

Thanks, I did not know Fusion60 came with stabs. Sorry, I do not have a way to source a large number of stabilizers.

Not a big deal.  I don't even know if it's a good precedent as some folks might have wanted to use a different type anyway.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Not a big deal.  I don't even know if it's a good precedent as some folks might have wanted to use a different type anyway.

Thanks! I think both GMK screw-in and the transparency gold ones from zeal are great stabs.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Board looks great!  :thumb:
Will badges/ weights be available in different colors? Will you include stabilizers?

I have some plans to either offer additional raffle items for colored weights or badges, or make them optional, or maybe both. Haven't decided yet as I don't know if enough people will be interested.

Stabilizers will not be included, please prepare the stablizers you like :)

Offline igke

That is straight off the machine?
Looks crisp even before sandblasting!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
The Metropolis render many have been waiting for!

Plus Nines, and Laser:

« Last Edit: Fri, 15 March 2019, 17:40:46 by oldcat »

Offline Bhk1004

Stop it!

Offline PikaJoyce

My body is ready for this. Wallet may not be though.

Offline voxkey

All of these renders would look better if the layout wasn't wrong :P

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
All of these renders would look better if the layout wasn't wrong :P

Need to work on ISO layout I guess :) but maybe the actual prototype with ISO pictures will come soon...

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
GMK Minimal LOVE

Offline Sic_Alpha

The more I think about it, the more I might be interested in layout #4.  Still not enough to switch my form from #3 though...  Maybe  :blank:

Offline voxkey

The more I think about it, the more I might be interested in layout #4.  Still not enough to switch my form from #3 though...  Maybe  :blank:

😻

Offline bunanapeel

I'm super excited for this board, it looks great!  The only thing I don't fully understand is the whole color scheme with the badges.  It looks like theres gonna be a lot of options but I would probably stick to a neutral color scheme so I can use most keycaps with mine.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
I'm super excited for this board, it looks great!  The only thing I don't fully understand is the whole color scheme with the badges.  It looks like theres gonna be a lot of options but I would probably stick to a neutral color scheme so I can use most keycaps with mine.

Hey thanks for the support.

There is a badge version and a badgeless version, for badge version the default will be PVD brass badge and PVD brass weight. There will be anodized color aluminum and plain PC badges either as options or as free raffle items (or both, TBD now).

Offline Keebmeupscotty

Sorry if this has already been asked and I just skimmed past it, but I had a question about the lighting. There is underglow and 4x rgb backlighting for the esc key being offered. I wonder, however, given the thicc and PC nature of upper half of the board, might some spread out rgb backlighting facing upwards on the pcb be possible? (like underglow, but upwards... i guess upperglow?) This might allow for upward rgb effects even if mx blacks or other opaque switches were used in the build.

I don't typically like going for heavy per-key rgb, but with a case like this, I feel like I'd want to be able to turn on some sort of upward rgb and have the whole thing glowing periodically... just 'cause I could.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Sorry if this has already been asked and I just skimmed past it, but I had a question about the lighting. There is underglow and 4x rgb backlighting for the esc key being offered. I wonder, however, given the thicc and PC nature of upper half of the board, might some spread out rgb backlighting facing upwards on the pcb be possible? (like underglow, but upwards... i guess upperglow?) This might allow for upward rgb effects even if mx blacks or other opaque switches were used in the build.

I don't typically like going for heavy per-key rgb, but with a case like this, I feel like I'd want to be able to turn on some sort of upward rgb and have the whole thing glowing periodically... just 'cause I could.

So for this particular plate (4.5mm PC plate), any LED on the top side will require perfect cuts into the plates from under. Something we can consider for sure, but I am a bit concerned about light leakage if too many visuals are added.

Don't forget there will be 3 LED slots under the stripe area above the badge where you can add more visuals.

Offline Keebmeupscotty

So for this particular plate (4.5mm PC plate), any LED on the top side will require perfect cuts into the plates from under. Something we can consider for sure, but I am a bit concerned about light leakage if too many visuals are added.

Don't forget there will be 3 LED slots under the stripe area above the badge where you can add more visuals.

Understood, I had forgotten about the badge area LEDs. I suppose I was suggesting a solution similar to the images for the gk64 pcb on kbdfans website ( https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1473/3902/products/3_d7702c80-2295-4fd4-8a7b-f0f4b82c161f_1800x1800.jpg?v=1536242495 ) where the rgb leds actually are smd mounted to the underside of the pcb, but point upwards and there is a hole in the pcb to allow them to shine upwards. In that scenario, I'd expect them to be coordinated with whatever visual setting the underglow leds were on to make the effect cover the whole board. I definitely see your point about bleed and would only suggest a few across the board (as many as underglow leds). Of course if you think the prototyping of this on a pcb would be cost prohibitive or would cause too much bleed/be undesirable, I'd trust your opinion. Was just bringing it up because I thought it might be doable with minimal cost and had potential to make the material choice of this case shine its brightest.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Understood, I had forgotten about the badge area LEDs. I suppose I was suggesting a solution similar to the images for the gk64 pcb on kbdfans website ( https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/1473/3902/products/3_d7702c80-2295-4fd4-8a7b-f0f4b82c161f_1800x1800.jpg?v=1536242495 ) where the rgb leds actually are smd mounted to the underside of the pcb, but point upwards and there is a hole in the pcb to allow them to shine upwards. In that scenario, I'd expect them to be coordinated with whatever visual setting the underglow leds were on to make the effect cover the whole board. I definitely see your point about bleed and would only suggest a few across the board (as many as underglow leds). Of course if you think the prototyping of this on a pcb would be cost prohibitive or would cause too much bleed/be undesirable, I'd trust your opinion. Was just bringing it up because I thought it might be doable with minimal cost and had potential to make the material choice of this case shine its brightest.

Thanks! Now I understand what you are referring to. I think it is an interesting idea.

However, I think if per key LED is sort of desired it actually makes sense to add one for each key but not just a few. Personally I hate per key LED with a passion so this round will include per key SMD Leds. Cost is not a concern at all for this GB, so the decision is not motivated by cost but really by design choices. I think 3 sources of light will work wonderfully and you will like it.

That said, if enough people are interested in per key SMD LEDs, I might ask the PCB maker to run a GB for per key Led PCB in the future.

Offline kitty

just wanted to pop in and say that if you're doing potential pcb groupbuy in the future, i'd be super interested in a bluetooth pcb!

Offline Keebmeupscotty

I definitely agree with you on the perkey rgb. That's not what I was suggesting, rather, I was using that pcb for an example on the led mounting style.

What I was suggesting was basically upwards mirror of the underglow rgb leds so that whatever underglow lighting you have would be mirrored upwardsinto the case.

However, you are right for sure... at that point you might lose the effect of the badge leds and 4x rgb on the top of pcb, so it wasn't really the best of suggestions. Thx for your responses, regardless though.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
I definitely agree with you on the perkey rgb. That's not what I was suggesting, rather, I was using that pcb for an example on the led mounting style.

What I was suggesting was basically upwards mirror of the underglow rgb leds so that whatever underglow lighting you have would be mirrored upwardsinto the case.

However, you are right for sure... at that point you might lose the effect of the badge leds and 4x rgb on the top of pcb, so it wasn't really the best of suggestions. Thx for your responses, regardless though.

Thanks, this is something I will talk to the PCB designer. Your point was certainly well taken. What I meant was, if we cut a few LEDs to emit light upwards, we might as well just make a PCB with per key SMD LED. Something the PCB is willing to do (along with the QMK dual-mode bluetooth feature), if enough people are interested in.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Some Updates:

3/17/2019:
1. CNC cases have been made, pending sand-blasting. CNC cases checked for accuracy of the edges and the holes and passed QC.
2. Badges/weights CNC in progress, will get PVD treatment and anodization soon

215516-0

Offline voxkey

Le oooofffff

Offline kolyz

oof that pic!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
oof that pic!

It is taken before cleaning, polishing, and sandblasting :P

Offline Tekniqs

FINALLY hunted down a poly singa...but still in on this!

Offline fractl

I've never found badges or any type of branding on keyboards very appealing, and my reaction here, initially, was no different.  However, seeing the renders with GMK Wavez and the matching badge and insert, I've started to wonder if you haven't changed my mind.  I was pretty enthusiastic about GMK Wavez anyway, and, if I could end up with something quite similar to what your render depicts, I think I might be in for both Wavez and your keyboard.  Not that I wouldn't be interested regardless of the matching badge and insert, but the whole synergy between those elements in your render is outstanding.

In that render, you also depict a darker base matched with a frosted polycarbonate top.  Is that actually going to be an option?  I'm not saying that I definitely would chose that option if it were available, but it's certainly interesting.

I'd be opting for one of the hot-swap PCBs, but, if there were a version 4 that included a split spacebar option, I might be tempted to break out my soldering iron.  I realize that you wouldn't necessarily want to compromise the PCB to fill what is probably a rare request, but I'm just thinking aloud.  Again, I'm not sure I'd even chose such an option, even if it were available, since the option of swapping out switches on a whim probably trumps minor layout preferences.

Anyway, I've been following this thread more closely than any other.  The reciprocity between you and the community has made the whole process more engaging.  Well done.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Possible full pvd brass version? Anyone will be interested?

Just a thought.

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 March 2019, 21:49:59 by oldcat »

Offline Furikurichemy

Just a thought.

(Attachment Link)

If it's in black PVD then YES :)

Offline voxkey

Full brass looks great!

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Just a thought.

(Attachment Link)

If it's in black PVD then YES :)

Definitely something to keep in mind. The factory has a large brass business, so I assume black PVD should be a normal surface treatment procedure.

Offline Emir

• icon mods
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • Bandit
    • Discord

Just a thought.

Oh my... :O

Offline TuCZnak

Just a thought.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Perhaps the sort of people that buy golden phones and stuff? Or if you for some reason need 10kg keyboard? Other than that IMO polycarb works way better...

Offline nguyenhimself

[IC] THINK6.5° - Polycarbonate 65% Keyboard (PCB Color Poll, #4 Layout Poll)
« Reply #386 on: Mon, 18 March 2019, 12:58:23 »

Just a thought.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Perhaps the sort of people that buy golden phones and stuff? Or if you for some reason need 10kg keyboard? Other than that IMO polycarb works way better...
You are posting in a GB thread with the intent to spend hundreds of dollars on a custom keyboard partly because it looks way nicer than others, and you’re unironically looking down on people for liking stuffs that look nicer to them?
Jeez.

Offline TuCZnak

Just a thought.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
You are posting in a GB thread with the intent to spend hundreds of dollars on a custom keyboard partly because it looks way nicer than others, and you’re unironically looking down on people for liking stuffs that look nicer to them?
Jeez.

Nope, I was semi-joking, sorry if that offended you. Everyone likes something different and I'm not about to shame anyone for that. But as I said, in my opinion it doesn't work with the keyboard and polycarb is a much better choice.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life

Just a thought.

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)
Jeez.

Nope, I was semi-joking, sorry if that offended you. Everyone likes something different and I'm not about to shame anyone for that. But as I said, in my opinion it doesn't work with the keyboard and polycarb is a much better choice.

Totally agree with you! My pick will be Polycarb too. The full brass probably could have PVD shiny black, rose gold, and gold options, so won't be simply a gold-ish unit :)

If we are to do a full brass edition, I can envision it being just a limited quantity special edition, maybe 5 or 10 units, just for spicing up this GB purpose. I personally have not tried full brass yet, but quite intrigued by it.

From the manufacturing perspective, it is actually tough to not lose money at this small quantity of units (e.g., one failure could make it a big loss). Furthermore, I believe $650 is actually not that hefty amount compared with some nicely-designed regular aluminum boards being sold aftermarket, so maybe it's a cool idea to put out here :)

« Last Edit: Mon, 18 March 2019, 13:45:22 by oldcat »

Offline Uryftw

I might consider getting a Polycarb ISO version for me. This looks great!

Offline noahf

what would the weight be on the brass version?

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
what would the weight be on the brass version?

If we do a full brass version, my plan is that it will come with 2 weights and 2 badges. I am not sure what is more desirable, so feel free to provide some ideas.

The idea of the full brass version is really to increase fun and spice for the GB. As slots will be very limited, we can potentially do more customization with them :)

Offline PhreshPrinceOfChinaTown

• /u/PPoCT on Reddit.
    • MechWiki
I was gonna be in anyway, but i'd be extra in for Full Brass.
M65-A | Canoe | EM7 | X3 Renova | JER Mini | LZ CLS ms | No. 1/65 | TGR 910ce | CA66 | EXENT | E6.5 | Volcano 660 | Zephyr | Space 65 | Koyu | TX65 | Think 6.5 | Dolphin Linger | EXT65 | S7 Elephant | Key 65 | Alice | Singa | Aegis | HB85 |

Offline Furikurichemy

:eek: 100% in for a black PVD brass one

Offline Bhk1004

Secret hidden ballers popping up for everywhere...

Offline urbantheii

I need full brass....

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
I need full brass....

Rose gold and black PVD going strong. I guess gold color PVD is not getting much love haha.

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Time for GMK Green Screen, Mr. Mr. admgc and Mr. Oblotzky

Offline voxkey

Skip the PVD on the solid brass and accelerate its patina with various oils. I want it to look like it’s been pulled from a shipwreck.  :)

Offline oldcat

• 65% is Life
Skip the PVD on the solid brass and accelerate its patina with various oils. I want it to look like it’s been pulled from a shipwreck.  :)

Without surface treatment, the brass may oxidize though :(