Author Topic: Tragic loss of a B-17 at an air show  (Read 12276 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Tragic loss of a B-17 at an air show
« on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 08:41:01 »
Yesterday one of the last 9 flying B-17 bombers crashed and burned at an air show. (disclosure - B-17 was the plane my father crewed in WW2 (based in England at RAF Alconbury) with the 8th Air Force)

It was struck by a P-63 in mid-air. Was that pilot an idiot or was there some other explanation?

While the B-17 is legendary and was built by the thousands, the P-63 is not very well known. It is basically a greatly-improved P-39, and almost all of them were given to the Soviets for use in the Pacific theater.

« Last Edit: Sun, 13 November 2022, 12:20:45 by fohat.digs »
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
Re: Tragic loss of a B-17 at an air show
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 09:41:52 »
Terrible accident (I hope).
I don't know enough about planes to have an idea of what happened, but it's tragic.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 09:52:28 »
how did, i mean, it's a big plane, but yea every thing look small when you're up there, pilot could've lost vision from blood pressure doing stunt plane stuff.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 11:45:02 »
]how did, i mean, it's a big plane, but yea every thing look small when you're up there, pilot could've lost vision from blood pressure doing stunt plane stuff.
The angle the P-63 came in/down at meant the B-17 was under it's nose, as big as the B-17 is, they never saw it.
They should have seen it at some point much earlier on but there was a lot of planes in the airspace and flying directly in their path to keep track of. Too many planes and not enough coordination. Accident waiting to happen.

Get out and see these old planes flying while you can, there's 4 flying B-17's left in the U.S. and only two flying B-29's in the world. Pretty sure they spent $1B getting Doc, a B-29, flying again and they probably couldn't do another for anywhere close to that.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 16:55:58 »
When I was a kid I saw a airshow crash in Maryland. A stuntman was doing that trick where they nosedive at the ground and pull up at the last moment, except he didn't pull up in time. What I remember the most was how the announcer basically glazed over it saying medics were checking on him and to enjoy some refreshments from the concession stand. The velocity and subsequent fireball, everyone knew he did not make it.

Also very odd how you worded this with more concern about the loss of the plane than of the human life
« Last Edit: Sun, 13 November 2022, 16:57:31 by noisyturtle »

Offline lakeboredom

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 17:43:56 »
A historic airplane is more important than a person they didn't know, yeah.

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 18:29:03 »

Sent from my moto g power (2022) using Tapatalk

I could not disagree more, but people these days are exposed to so much horror many are desensitized and callous.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 19:27:07 »
The cost of a human life vs a plane..    if we refer to the market,  each plane costs thousands of human lifetimes worth of resources and labor to produce,  so technically they are worth significantly more than any "singular" human life.

As for desensitization/ callousness. I guess that depends on what aspect of humanity you're referring to.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 13 November 2022, 20:21:45 »

I could not disagree more, but people these days are exposed to so much horror many are desensitized and callous.

To be absolutely honest, being relentlessly bombarded by hysterical anti-abortionists for years on end has made me do a lot of soul-searching. And rather than having the effect of "sensitizing" me I have - yes - become what you would probably call "desensitized" ....

I have come to the conclusion that, in the grand scheme of things, individual lives of individual persons (much less embryos and fetuses!) are just not all that important relative to this aggregate "thing" that we are all a part of. Which is not to say that horrors such as wars and terrorist killings are not horrible.

At this point I have come to think (the best ultra-simple working description would be to say) that I perceive the Planet Earth to be a single living organism of which we are each a very small part. And our parts can be healthy or unhealthy, even up to the level of fast-growing cancers.

Further, I have come to think of "personhood" as something that we grow into (some cultures do not really consider children to be full persons until they are 1-2-3-4- years old) and which we can also fall out of. Which of the mammals in the photo below would you consider to be more "good" or "valuable"?

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 14 November 2022, 11:03:20 »
Gotta love the internet where something you didn't say is taken to be more important than what you did.
"I like cheesecake"
"Oh, so you hate chocolate cake, you're such a jerk!"

It was a technical comment, yes, it sucks for their families and it's not that I don't feel bad for them but is this the right venue to express it?  Were your feeling personally hurt or are you just trying to cause a scene? Stop being so performative.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 14 November 2022, 11:14:07 »
Gotta love the internet where something you didn't say is taken to be more important than what you did.
"I like cheesecake"
"Oh, so you hate chocolate cake, you're such a jerk!"

It was a technical comment, yes, it sucks for their families and it's not that I don't feel bad for them but is this the right venue to express it?  Were your feeling personally hurt or are you just trying to cause a scene? Stop being so performative.

would the opposite even be true? can a random internet person actually be "so empathetic" that his feelings towards a random death worlds apart are genuine and/or consequential.

tp4 is of the school, that expressed empathy in most forms are quite disingenuous.  the difference between caring and pretending to care at such a distance is minuscule.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 15 November 2022, 12:11:17 »
would the opposite even be true? can a random internet person actually be "so empathetic" that his feelings towards a random death worlds apart are genuine and/or consequential.

Yes, but if you have that bad of a response I would say you need professional help.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 15 November 2022, 13:24:20 »

Yes, but if you have that bad of a response I would say you need professional help.

Tp4 needs professional help, but he can not afford it, so he buys electr0nix to fill the dystopian void.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 15 November 2022, 14:28:22 »
Both of these planes were here this summer at the Air Show near me.  We attended.  I have photos somewhere of both planes.  The B17 was selling tickets to ride around in it as an air tour.  My son wanted to go but it was sold out.  Pretty tragic incident.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 November 2022, 02:56:28 »
You usually need to book well in advance for either the B-17s or B-29s, otherwise you hope you get lucky and someone can't make it.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More