Author Topic: [IC] Honeydew Switches | Pre-order live till June 14th  (Read 26567 times)

Offline YXXX

[IC] Honeydew Switches | Pre-order live till June 14th
« on: Sun, 29 May 2022, 10:40:51 »

Off the back of GMK fenglisu (鳳梨酥), we bring you a switch with a new material developed
by Tecsee with an XL TX Spring. I have named and themed these
switches after the Honeydew.

HPE is a proprietary blend produced by Tecsee to improve on the structural rigidity of
UHMWPE but maintain the characteristic features that make it a joy to type on (if you’ve
tried Tecsee Jadeites, then you know what I’m talking about). For these Honeydews,
HPE will be used on both the top and bottom housings.

I am by no means a switch connoisseur (and will leave judgement to our reviewers
and content creators). Still, to my feel, HPE provides a softer or ‘less-aggressive’ typing
 experience than current PC/nylon offerings whilst still maintaining that clacky sound
profile that so many of us seek.

Of the stem and spring configurations that I tried, I felt that the snappy feel of the
18mm XL TX Spring in combination with a POM stem further makes this
switch much more fun and engaging than many current offerings.

Pre-order live June 1st at all participating vendors!
We will be opening a 2-week pre-order for Honeydew switches from June 1st!

Switch Specs

Type: Linear, 5-pin, MX stem
Housing: HPE (Tecsee proprietary blend)
Stem: POM (13.0mm stem length with 2.0mm pre-travel and
3.8mm total travel distance) with no factory lube
Spring: XL TX Spring [18mm length] [65g weight]
Manufacturer: Tecsee

Note: Per Tecsee and IC form responses, we will be changing the
stem length from 13.5mm to 13.0mm and also removing factory lube.

Samples

Photo was taken with an iPhone 12 Pro Max in natural light. Perceived colour will depend on a plethora of factors.

Renders

IC Form link

Your responses or interest dictate whether or not we can offer this as an
in-stock item and in large enough quantities.

Sound Tests

F2-84 by Geonworks
Plate Material: Aluminium
Mounting Style: O-ring gasket

TOMO by Monokei x TGR
Mounting Style: Top

Nemui by Bachoo
Plate Material: Brass
Mounting Style: Leaf spring gasket

Vega by ai03
Mounting Style: Poron gasket

Think6.5V2 by Graystudio
Plate Material: POM

Alter by DeskDaily
Plate Material: FR4
Mounting Style: Top

ESNTL TKL by KCK
Plate Material: PC

Please let us know if there are certain boards you’d like us to record/film a sound test on!

Reviews:

TofuTypes

Qwertyqop

Tecsee’s Sampling/Manufacturing timeline:

Upon ordering samples, Tecsee requires 10 business days in order
to produce samples to be delivered to myself, vendors, and the listed content creators
and reviewers.

Following confirmation of these samples, Tecsee will need up to 20 business days
to fulfil our order in full. At this point, switches will be delivered to each respective vendor
and then into the hands of buyers.

Vendors

US: Dangkeebs
CA: Ashkeebs
OCE: Allcaps
CN: Epomaker
SEA: qwertyqop
VN: Uniq Meck
KR: Swagkeys
UK/EU: Proto[typist]

To Do:

1. Arrange for reviews by content creators
2. Record more sound tests in different boards

Updates:

29th May 2022: IC Posted.
19th July 2022: Samples ordered with revised specification.
17th August 2022: Samples posted.
30th October 2022: Updated renders and sound tests with revised specification.
15th February 2023: Removal of EU vendor.
22nd May 2023: Announcement of pre-order.

Acknowledgements

@Lizcuits for the beautiful renders and quick turnaround
@pheefs_a_n_d for the cute banner

Socials

Consider following our socials (IG @mksensa) and joining our Discord server for all
project updates.

« Last Edit: Fri, 02 June 2023, 05:43:56 by YXXX »

Offline chat and team

Re: [IC] Honeydew Switches | New Materials + Dual-Stage Spring
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 29 May 2022, 12:58:25 »
oh its just another tecsee switch, go back to sleep everyone
geekhack mods constantly break tos and refuse to read
Chinese overlords won

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #2 on: Sun, 29 May 2022, 18:51:33 »
I like it, but your IC form was broken for me.

Do you have an idea of pricing? And if you have sound tests, can’t you show photos of the switch instead of renders? :think:
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline YXXX

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 29 May 2022, 20:12:04 »

Do you have an idea of pricing? And if you have sound tests, can’t you show photos of the switch instead of renders? :think:

IC form link should work now, sorry.

Sound tests were made with a different colour configuration, not the one shown in the renders.

Offline YXXX

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 29 May 2022, 20:14:27 »
oh its just another tecsee switch, go back to sleep everyone

It's a little different - not the typical PC/Nylon combination

Offline superjackie

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 29 May 2022, 20:39:53 »
13.5mm travel? or 3.5mm travel?

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 29 May 2022, 21:41:04 »

Sound tests were made with a different colour configuration, not the one shown in the renders.

Oh, I gotcha, prototype colouring. Form filled! :thumb:

I think most people will vote NO to factory lube (especially with the success of Zakus that come unlubed) but personally I don’t mind. Hoping these will be about the same price (~7 AUD per 10).
« Last Edit: Sun, 10 July 2022, 01:17:49 by Mr Chrome »
“This plastic rectangle is alright. The plastic rectangles on top of it, though...”

Offline YXXX

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 30 May 2022, 06:53:09 »
13.5mm travel? or 3.5mm travel?

3.5mm

Oh, I gotcha, prototype colouring. Form filled! :thumb:

I think most people will vote NO to factory lube (especially with the success of Zakus that come unlubed) but personally I don’t mind. Hoping these will be about the same price (~7 AUD).

Thank you for filling out the form! We will leave it totally up to the IC form responses with regards to whether or not these are factory lubed.

Offline Handke

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 30 May 2022, 07:07:34 »
Progressive and dual stage springs are usually a lie.

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=112430.0

Offline VoteForDavid

• Vote For David
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 30 May 2022, 18:49:32 »
I can see the images fine but the text on the OP is completely un-readable due to your choice of low-contrast colours
Jesus loves you.

Offline conternecticus

• (¬‿¬ )
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 30 May 2022, 23:05:31 »
This is how an IC for a switch should be: soundtests with different boards/configs, plenty of information, and the IC matters!
While I don't hate linears, I would love to see how a light tactile stem perform in this housing material, I love the sound coming out from them. GLWIC!

Offline fauxLeather

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 01:02:18 »
This looks like a fun switch! :)

Are you able to do a sound test with different keycaps? These Honeydews sound great but I would love to hear how they sound with lower-pitch PBT or different profiles.

If you don’t have other keycaps on hand, sending switches out to content creators for review and sound tests/comparisons would be a good idea!

Offline LegendsWorks

• thocc
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 11:13:45 »
Sounds nice glwic

Offline YXXX

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 19:44:55 »
This is how an IC for a switch should be: soundtests with different boards/configs, plenty of information, and the IC matters!
While I don't hate linears, I would love to see how a light tactile stem perform in this housing material, I love the sound coming out from them. GLWIC!

Honestly just could be me but the dual-stage spring sometimes makes the keypress feel ever so slightly tactile-y. Makes it fun!

This looks like a fun switch! :)

Are you able to do a sound test with different keycaps? These Honeydews sound great but I would love to hear how they sound with lower-pitch PBT or different profiles.

If you don’t have other keycaps on hand, sending switches out to content creators for review and sound tests/comparisons would be a good idea!

I can definitely try something like that!

Offline treeleaf64

• Traveler
    • treeleaf64
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 31 May 2022, 20:23:39 »
When is there Cherry switch clone
treeleaf64: https://discord.gg/rbUjtsRG6P

This is the cat and pat!!!!!!!!

Offline conternecticus

• (¬‿¬ )
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 01 June 2022, 04:18:56 »
Honestly just could be me but the dual-stage spring sometimes makes the keypress feel ever so slightly tactile-y. Makes it fun!

Now I want a tactile leaf with that exact spring, plus a tactile stem in this housing :p

Offline fauxLeather

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 01 June 2022, 20:49:55 »

Based on the description, are these dual-stage springs like those SPRiT produces (as in, multi-stage, the weight/feeling should change during the keypress)? Or are these double/symmetric springs? The terms are used interchangeably by many people but there is a difference. I was only aware Tecsee produces double springs…

Offline YXXX

Re: [IC] Honeydew Switches | New Materials + Double Stage Spring
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 03 June 2022, 05:51:30 »

Based on the description, are these dual-stage springs like those SPRiT produces (as in, multi-stage, the weight/feeling should change during the keypress)? Or are these double/symmetric springs? The terms are used interchangeably by many people but there is a difference. I was only aware Tecsee produces double springs…

Tecsee's quotation did indicate that they are double-springs, so I will change that accordingly. I wasn't aware that there was a difference between dual vs double.

Based on that, these Honeydews will make use of double-springs but they do have an element of dual-stage in them (i.e. weight/feeling changes during the keypress).

I hope that helps?

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 03 June 2022, 08:44:24 »

Tecsee's quotation did indicate that they are double-springs, so I will change that accordingly. I wasn't aware that there was a difference between dual vs double.

Based on that, these Honeydews will make use of double-springs but they do have an element of dual-stage in them (i.e. weight/feeling changes during the keypress).

I hope that helps?

I think their confusion here is less about ‘dual’ vs ‘double’ and more about using the word ‘stage’.

These are SPRiT’s multistage springs:

For these, one half is different from the other, so the downstroke should (in theory) feel different about halfway through, or have 2 different ‘stages’. If both halves are the same, there are not 2 different ‘stages’, the spring is just extended for a return that’s much quicker/bouncier than the downstroke (two different feels).

Not your fault, though! Seems nearly every vendor sells these springs as ‘2 stage’ springs, with ‘3 stage’ as the term for the springs with 3 segments, even though all segments of the spring are the same. KineticLabs calls these Symmetric Long Springs (Tecsee manufactured), which is cool because it tells you both halves are the same. Looks like Tecsee and Bolsa call them Double Springs which I think is best because it’s easy to remember and suggests it’s just the same spring doubled.

TL;DR I think you should call them ‘dual-stage springs’ if one half is different from the other, or just ‘double springs’ if both halves are the same (no stage).

But someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Offline YXXX

« Reply #19 on: Tue, 07 June 2022, 02:02:52 »

I hope that helps?

I think their confusion here is less about ‘dual’ vs ‘double’ and more about using the word ‘stage’.

These are SPRiT’s multistage springs:

Show Image
Show Image

For these, one half is different from the other, so the downstroke should (in theory) feel different about halfway through, or have 2 different ‘stages’. If both halves are the same, there are not 2 different ‘stages’, the spring is just extended for a return that’s much quicker/bouncier than the downstroke (two different feels).

Not your fault, though! Seems nearly every vendor sells these springs as ‘2 stage’ springs, with ‘3 stage’ as the term for the springs with 3 segments, even though all segments of the spring are the same. KineticLabs calls these Symmetric Long Springs (Tecsee manufactured), which is cool because it tells you both halves are the same. Looks like Tecsee and Bolsa call them Double Springs which I think is best because it’s easy to remember and suggests it’s just the same spring doubled.

TL;DR I think you should call them ‘dual-stage springs’ if one half is different from the other, or just ‘double springs’ if both halves are the same (no stage).

But someone please correct me if I’m wrong.

Visually, both halves look the same.

Some ambiguity in the naming conventions makes it a little confusing haha

Thank you for the clarification, though!

Offline YXXX

Re: [IC] Honeydew Switches | SEA Vendor + Samples going out soon..
« Reply #20 on: Sat, 18 June 2022, 07:37:29 »
Just a small update from me - qwertyqop will be the SEA vendor for this project and we will soon be ordering samples to be sent out to various content creators for review/content creation.

Offline YXXX

Re: [IC] Honeydew Switches | CN + VN Vendors + Samples going out soon..
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 22 June 2022, 21:28:07 »
Another small update: Epomaker and Uniq Meck will vendor this project for the Chinese and Vietnamese regions, respectively.

Ball is rolling!

Offline conternecticus

• (¬‿¬ )
« Reply #22 on: Thu, 23 June 2022, 22:52:00 »
Prelubes would be nice for people who are too lazy to lube and would just use them stock first, see how it feels.
But no prelube would help with the pricing if my knowledge is correct.
So there are benefits to both directions.

Offline icey_keebss

• deskmat designer
« Reply #23 on: Fri, 24 June 2022, 05:04:28 »
looks great and sounds great! GLWIC :)

Offline YXXX

Re: [IC] Honeydew Switches | Pole Length Adjustment and Samples Ordered!
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 19 July 2022, 02:02:29 »
2 quick and small updates from me:

We've decided to change the pole length from 13.5mm to 13.0mm and also removed factory lube - Tecsee and our IC form responses dictated these changes.

We've also placed an order for samples! These will be sent out to the participating vendors and then onto a number of content creators (which we will announce soon!)

Offline conternecticus

• (¬‿¬ )
« Reply #25 on: Tue, 19 July 2022, 09:01:19 »

We've decided to change the pole length from 13.5mm to 13.0mm and also removed factory lube - Tecsee and our IC form responses dictated these changes.

Great to see no factory lube.
What is the new travel distance of the switch?

Offline YXXX

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 20:52:16 »

Great to see no factory lube.
What is the new travel distance of the switch?

We have a 2.0mm pre-travel and 3.8mm total travel distance with our 13mm POM stem.

Offline YXXX

Re: [IC] Honeydew Switches | Samples Arrived!
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 16 August 2022, 20:53:49 »

Our Honeydew samples have finally arrived!

We've also adjusted our renders to ensure they more accurately represent the physical samples.

Please feel free to let us know what you think of the colour!

Offline Nonnegaard

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 19 August 2022, 04:05:14 »
shame fenglisu didnt have these colors. wouldve copped in an instant.
Aeon, TGR Jane V2, Dolphin 2021, Gherkin, Model M, 5°, NCR80, M0110-A

Offline PlayBox

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 19 August 2022, 14:00:00 »
I can see the images fine but the text on the OP is completely un-readable due to your choice of low-contrast colours
same, i can't see the colours because im on amazon kindle (monochrome e-ink display) lol
propably sent from my amazon kindle 10th gen

Offline conternecticus

• (¬‿¬ )
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 12 October 2022, 18:53:16 »
Any updates?

Offline Mr Chrome

« Reply #31 on: Thu, 13 October 2022, 06:34:34 »
Any updates?

Quite a few in the Discord. Apparently the Tecsee double springs had too much spring noise, so TX Extra Long springs (65g 18mm) are being used instead.

New sound tests with the shorter stems.

There was some discussion about the stem colour being highlighter ish, but I don’t think there’s going to be a change there at this point..

Offline YXXX

Re: [IC] Honeydew Switches | New Sound Tests with XL TX Springs
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 30 October 2022, 02:09:54 »
Long time no update...

As alluded to above, the gold-plated double springs that we received in our initial batch of samples came with unusable levels of ping and crunch (even after lubing). We've since made the change to XL TX Springs [18mm] [65g] and these are much nicer to use - these springs are currently on their way to our vendors.

We're still looking to send these to a number of reviewers but this is likely to happen in the new year. In the meantime, enjoy some of our new sound tests in the OP!

Offline YXXX

Re: [IC] Honeydew Switches | Vendor Change and Content Review Soon
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 15 February 2023, 06:01:43 »
Again, long time no update...

We have made a slight vendor change - Proto[Typist] will now vendor the project for both the UK and EU. The slight increase in shipping costs associated with this (for EU buyers) may not be perceived well but this change will help ensure the project runs more smoothly.

In better news, we have a number of well-known content creators who will be producing some content with these switches in the next 1-2 months! This should be something nice to look out for before they go on sale.

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 15 February 2023, 07:04:51 »
we got plenty of EU vendors and everyone seems to pick ones OUTSIDE the EU lmao. this already is the worst country for this hobby, whi is everybody set on making it harder on us

Offline digitalnothing

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 18 February 2023, 21:50:32 »
Love the look and it sounds good af on that esntl. Never used a spring that long, but I really want to try these.

Offline bordboards

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 13 March 2023, 21:31:09 »
looking tasty haha

Offline rMxGTR

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 26 March 2023, 02:01:42 »
Is there an update on in stock sale date yet?

Offline William_S_Jones

• Best Prime Ever!!!
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 27 March 2023, 00:59:18 »
I'll be in for some; hopefully, I can grab between 70 to 90!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Offline Jmontillay

« Reply #39 on: Wed, 17 May 2023, 19:53:44 »
Any news about this?

Offline Siak

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 21 May 2023, 16:02:22 »
Okay because this resurfaced recently without any new updates, can I just say that listing a UK vendor as the EU option is a disgrace to all of us and designers need to learn to stop doing that.

If you want to alienate us as a whole market fine, you can just exclude us it’s your choice after all but at least don’t act like you’re including us.
It doesn’t matter if distance wise UK is closer to European countries, shipping from the UK will have the same tax and custom costs as shipping from China or US would. There’s no way any one of us will willingly choose that since VAT costs are already sky high within the EU.

It’s not a matter of perception, you knew it wouldn’t be perceived well because you just excluded us with your choice so just say that instead.

We have enough issues in this hobby already with ****ty major vendors and always being excluded from projects, adding false hopes from designers should not be an added thing.
« Last Edit: Sun, 21 May 2023, 16:08:58 by Siak »

Offline YXXX

Re: [IC] Honeydew Switches | Pre-order live June 1st
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 21 May 2023, 19:53:14 »
Been a while since an update was provided but the pre-order for these Honeydew switches will go live June 1st at all participating vendors!

Regarding the EU vendor situation, the decision to remove the previous vendor was due to poor communication in previous and current projects. We will look to try bring on another EU vendor.

Offline YXXX

Re: [IC] Honeydew Switches | Pre-order live till June 14th
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 31 May 2023, 23:34:48 »
Allcaps is live! Get them while you can  ;D

I will be posting links for each vendor as they go live too!

Offline YXXX

« Reply #43 on: Thu, 01 June 2023, 20:18:26 »
Dangkeebs, Ashkeebs, and Swagkeys are all live too!  :eek:

Offline YXXX

« Reply #44 on: Fri, 02 June 2023, 05:45:31 »
Qwertyqop, Proto[Typist], and Uniqmeck are also now live!  :p