Author Topic: Rama Works M60-A [SHIPPED]  (Read 305046 times)

Offline DJSnotBoogie

Re: Rama Works M60-A [SHIPPING]
« Reply #900 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 13:00:58 »
Woo I got a shipping notice. Still awaiting pickup though! Can't wait for these to come in  :p

Next pickup is scheduled for tomorrow morning! So excited for you to get it!

My Dusk with GMK Red Samurai + X&O's. Novelias on atm, looks and feels amazing. Could not be happier with this board.

Looks so awesome. What switches are powering that beast?
YESSSSSS, this is what I've been waiting for. That looks awesome, thanks for posting!!! Excited to see more combos  :o

Switches are Novelias

Offline Krakyn

« Reply #901 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 17:53:01 »
So exams are all done and I had a great weekend building my M60-A! This is my first time building a keyboard, so it was pretty fun having to learn to lube switches, slowly lube each switch, and do troubleshooting! Definitely didn't expect it to take so long!

Also posted pictures on reddit but didn't get much traction :( Subreddit is more interested in memes unfortunately :p

• Moon M60-A, no internal weight
  • Mod-M switches
  • GMK stabilisers
  • EnjoyPBT Black on White

After building it, I had a bit of trouble with keypresses not registering, but I followed the support section on RAMA's website and found it was due to the PCB bowing out slightly. Easily fixed by following instructions.

Really glad I joined this GB. I'm happy to pay the hefty price for it given that I've ended up with such a high quality daily-driver that will last me many years. I'm not a GB expert, but Rama and his team seem to have done a great job. Communication was good, the project was well managed in terms of time, and the end product is super high quality.

Future plans for my keyboard are GMK Modern Dolch - which will be my first GMK set!

Offline JFKroflcopter

« Reply #902 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 18:57:34 »

Also posted pictures on reddit but didn't get much traction :( Subreddit is more interested in memes unfortunately :p

Future plans for my keyboard are GMK Modern Dolch - which will be my first GMK set!

Yeah.. Unfortunately, you normally won't get many upvotes there unless it's a meme or Anne Pro :/

Your board looks great - Modern Dolch will be a great match!

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #903 on: Mon, 12 November 2018, 19:20:14 »
So exams are all done and I had a great weekend building my M60-A! This is my first time building a keyboard, so it was pretty fun having to learn to lube switches, slowly lube each switch, and do troubleshooting! Definitely didn't expect it to take so long!

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

• Moon M60-A, no internal weight
  • Mod-M switches
  • GMK stabilisers
  • EnjoyPBT Black on White
After building it, I had a bit of trouble with keypresses not registering, but I followed the support section on RAMA's website and found it was due to the PCB bowing out slightly. Easily fixed by following instructions.

Really glad I joined this GB. I'm happy to pay the hefty price for it given that I've ended up with such a high quality daily-driver that will last me many years. I'm not a GB expert, but Rama and his team seem to have done a great job. Communication was good, the project was well managed in terms of time, and the end product is super high quality.

Wow!!! That looks awesome, love the contrast with the switches. Looking forward to seeing that with Modern Dolch, I think you're going to love your first GMK set! I'm in for one of those too, super excited. Glad the guide was an easy follow, we'll be writing more as we move along :D

And thanks so much for the kind words man! We're working as hard as we can to get these out to everyone as quickly as possible - even bought a new machine to help aid packaging and speed things up (more on that soon!)  :p
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!
WEB: https://rama.works/
STORE: https://ramaworks.store/
INSTA: @ramaworks
FB: ramaworks

Offline KingRama

• * Maker
  • www.rama.works
    • RAMA WORKS®
« Reply #904 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 00:25:47 »
Didn't notice my personal messages have been disabled for those thinking you have been blocked - to contact please reach out through Facebook messages or support email!
WEB: https://rama.works/
STORE: https://ramaworks.store/
INSTA: @ramaworks
FB: ramaworks

Offline jjwax

« Reply #905 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 09:15:38 »
Hey RAMA,

Super stoked to get my board! (hopefully soon!)

I was curious if you guys did any testing for ESD?  I got my M-65A about a year ago, and have already fried the PCB LEDs from ESD from when I touched the aluminum body.  Bambinoo (of suited up keycaps) posted a fix where he grounded the USB shield to the aluminum body.  Do you think something like that is necessary for the m60-a?  I really don't want to damage the PCB, but winter is coming, and the air gets dry - combined with wearing a sweater, I'm gonna be shooting sparks everywhere!

Offline chief_shankaho

« Reply #906 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 09:19:25 »
Hey RAMA,

I was curious if you guys did any testing for ESD?  I got my M-65A about a year ago, and have already fried the PCB LEDs from ESD from when I touched the aluminum body.  Bambinoo (of suited up keycaps) posted a fix where he grounded the USB shield to the aluminum body.  Do you think something like that is necessary for the m60-a?  I really don't want to damage the PCB, but winter is coming, and the air gets dry - combined with wearing a sweater, I'm gonna be shooting sparks everywhere!

Jumping off of this, because I have absolutely no electronics experience outside of soldering switches: is there risk to putting a layer of rubber down for sound dampening IF that layer of rubber is making contact with the PCB? I would assume that this would be beneficial if anything, helping to insulate the contacts from the aluminum body, but I'm not for sure. I'll have the internal weight so I'm guessing the rubber will still touch the PCB.

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #907 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 09:32:30 »
Jumping off of this, because I have absolutely no electronics experience outside of soldering switches: is there risk to putting a layer of rubber down for sound dampening IF that layer of rubber is making contact with the PCB? I would assume that this would be beneficial if anything, helping to insulate the contacts from the aluminum body, but I'm not for sure. I'll have the internal weight so I'm guessing the rubber will still touch the PCB.

I have used foam before in Zephyr/Zeal65... it's safe for the rubber/foam to touch the PCB, but I would cut 20mm circle/square holes where the LED driver ICs are located, as they get warm (or hot!) so it is best to let that heat dissipate. The LED driver ICs are located in the middle of the PCB (one is above spacebar switch, the other near U/I keys), they're the small black square shaped parts.

When I briefly had access to the M60-A prototype, I put a stack of foam strips, wider at bottom, it was kind of a wedge shape overall, mostly filling the rear of the case. FWIW if you get the internal weight, you're not going to need foam, it fills the space enough IMHO.

Offline Atredl

Rama Works M60-A [SHIPPING]
« Reply #908 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 09:32:34 »
Hey RAMA,

IIRC the M65-A pcb wasn’t designed by Wilba. The Zeal60 pcb (which is what the M60 pcb is based off) hasn’t given people problems like the M65 pcb. I don’t think we’ll have issues with our M60 pcb shorting on us.

Edit: Nvm, I didn’t see the Wilba had already replied. Ignore me.
« Last Edit: Tue, 13 November 2018, 09:41:03 by Atredl »

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #909 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 09:58:35 »
Hey RAMA,

IIRC the M65-A pcb wasn’t designed by Wilba. The Zeal60 pcb (which is what the M60 pcb is based off) hasn’t given people problems like the M65 pcb. I don’t think we’ll have issues with our M60 pcb shorting on us.

Edit: Nvm, I didn’t see the Wilba had already replied. Ignore me.

I didn't address the ESD issue because there are conflicting opinions about even grounding the shell of the USB connector on a device (i.e. connecting the USB shell electrically to the ground wire of the USB cable, and thus the microcontroller's ground).

I have sacrificed many goats to the PCB Gods and they have blessed me with PCBs that don't spontaneously fry themselves like the M65-A PCB. But I'll go sacrifice another one just in case.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #910 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 10:01:16 »
for what it's worth, I have a "non-USB grounded" m-65A as my daily driver and I haven't had any issues with it.  I would bet there are substantially more people using theirs without issue (like me) but we only hear about the problem boards.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #911 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 10:09:17 »
And I'll throw my hat in the ring to say that now it is cold out and my heater is running, i can no longer use my M65-A because it shocks and restarts every time I come near it.  I actually don't even have to touch it  :thumb:

Let's hope the same isn't true of the M60-A.  Although it's kinda cool having keyboards for different seasons.

Offline ReverbSlush

• 16/52 RNG score
« Reply #912 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 10:34:30 »
And I'll throw my hat in the ring to say that now it is cold out and my heater is running, i can no longer use my M65-A because it shocks and restarts every time I come near it.  I actually don't even have to touch it  :thumb:

Let's hope the same isn't true of the M60-A.  Although it's kinda cool having keyboards for different seasons.

:-X  :-\  sorry that is happening to you!  I feel guilty now that mine is fine.

Offline vewy_nice

« Reply #913 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 10:43:56 »

Have you tried a different USB cable? Have you checked continuity between the chassis and the USB housing on the PCB?
That sounds like a grounding issue (Which always get worse in the dry winter season). If you're using a homemade USB cable, it might not have a frame/ground connection to your PC.

ps: Shipping email says THURSDAY! I'm so excited!
I was getting all worked up trying to figure out which switches I want to use (I've got a bunch in a drawer ready to go), I remembered this is hot-swappable! My first hot-swap board :)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #914 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 11:09:47 »

Have you tried a different USB cable? Have you checked continuity between the chassis and the USB housing on the PCB?
That sounds like a grounding issue (Which always get worse in the dry winter season). If you're using a homemade USB cable, it might not have a frame/ground connection to your PC.

I was getting all worked up trying to figure out which switches I want to use (I've got a bunch in a drawer ready to go), I remembered this is hot-swappable! My first hot-swap board :)

Yeah, I've tried a handful of cables.  Haven't checked continuity.  Mine gets here tomorrow!  woop woop!

Offline nerium

« Reply #915 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 15:21:27 »
I noticed you said shipping to Eastern US went out (or began). I'm in Massachusetts but didn't get a shipping notice, so I'm guessing there are more batches for Eastern US?
RAMA M60-A Mist w/ BOX Royals | RAMA M65-A Mist (unbuilt) | HHKB Pro 2 | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | CM Novatouch | Poker II w/ MX Clears | Pok3r w/ MX Blues | SA Godspeed | SA Industrial | SA Ice Caps | SA Modern Selectric | DSA Dolch | GMK 3Run | Hidden Labs Thermochromic | Hot Keys Project Neon Green + Neon Orange

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #916 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 15:43:02 »
I live in the midwest and my Lake M60-A is coming in! So stoked for this!

Offline jjwax

« Reply #917 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 16:41:42 »
I noticed you said shipping to Eastern US went out (or began). I'm in Massachusetts but didn't get a shipping notice, so I'm guessing there are more batches for Eastern US?

I'm on the Eastern shore and still waiting too, brother

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #918 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 16:52:10 »

And to be fair to the makers out there, it's not just my M65-A that has ESD problems.  It happens on my Canoe, my Tex case with a Pok3r PCB, my Norbatouch, and my E8-V1 board as well.  I normally just use a plastic or wooden case in the colder seasons.  Sucks, but I'm tired of running a humidifier 24/7 to keep from frying my boards. 

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #919 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 17:11:28 »

And to be fair to the makers out there, it's not just my M65-A that has ESD problems.  It happens on my Canoe, my Tex case with a Pok3r PCB, my Norbatouch, and my E8-V1 board as well.  I normally just use a plastic or wooden case in the colder seasons.  Sucks, but I'm tired of running a humidifier 24/7 to keep from frying my boards.

Honestly, it sounds like your environment might have a tad affect. I've got m65, norbatouch, e6v2 and haven't had ESD yet. -fingers crossed-

Secondly, I love DHL express. Direct flight from Australia to UK, no bs stopovers, my sage should be arriving tomorrow.

Offline Atredl

Rama Works M60-A [SHIPPING]
« Reply #920 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 17:25:29 »

Honestly, it sounds like your environment might have a tad affect. I've got m65, norbatouch, e6v2 and haven't had ESD yet. -fingers crossed-
Seconded. I’ve had an M65, a Pok3r in a TEX aluminum case and currently an e6-v2. None with ESD issues. Los Angeles area for reference.

Though I imagine it could also be a combination of poor ESD protection and environment.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #921 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 17:42:27 »

Seconded. I’ve had an M65, a Pok3r in a TEX aluminum case and currently an e6-v2. None with ESD issues. Los Angeles area for reference.

Though I imagine it could also be a combination of poor ESD protection and environment.

Got it.  I'll just pull out the carpet in my room.  I'm sure my wife will understand  :p

Offline Clix4Clax

« Reply #922 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 18:23:57 »

Yup shipped Monday  and arrives tomorrow in NH. Wicked fast thru DHL.I saw Rama was going by country and color. Ordered moon.

Next 24 hours will drag like no other.

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #923 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 18:32:11 »
Just wondering, does anyone know if washers are a necessity if using screw in stabs?

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #924 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 18:43:17 »
Just wondering, does anyone know if washers are a necessity if using screw in stabs?

No. Washers are only needed on PCBs that support multiple layouts and the hole overlaps with pads, so a screw might short the pads together.

Offline DePulse

« Reply #925 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 18:44:52 »
Anyone from Asia with shipping notif?

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #926 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 18:47:18 »

No. Washers are only needed on PCBs that support multiple layouts and the hole overlaps with pads, so a screw might short the pads together.

Great to know! Thanks for the quick response

Offline r0b1n4sale

« Reply #927 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 20:01:26 »
Yes, Beijing arrived.
And being taxed for extra 370 rmb (50 dollars).

通过我的 ONEPLUS A3000 上的 Tapatalk发言

Offline DePulse

« Reply #928 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 20:25:53 »
Yes, Beijing arrived.

Ohh nice but not so nice on the tax  :( didn't receive my shipping notif yet.

Offline r0b1n4sale

« Reply #929 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 20:32:57 »
DHL is such a disaster in China. Now they charge me for extra fees for storage and processing.
Yes, Beijing arrived.

Ohh nice but not so nice on the tax  :( didn't receive my shipping notif yet.

Offline kokugatsu

« Reply #930 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 20:45:55 »
Yep, got a shipping notif on Sunday and arrived on my doorstep yesterday

Offline jjwax

« Reply #931 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 22:24:36 »

Got it.  I'll just pull out the carpet in my room.  I'm sure my wife will understand  :p

a humidifier will do wonders for your ESD

Offline Regret

• I regret nothing
« Reply #932 on: Tue, 13 November 2018, 23:19:13 »
Oof, waiting on that West Coast shipping notification. I'm leaving for Japan on the 21st so most likely I won't be able to get my hands on my M60 until i get back  :confused:
No.2 Rev.1 | Gat Black Inks | OG Dyesubs \\ No.1/65 Silver & Brass | Retooled Cherry Blacks | GMK Coniferous \\ Ai03 Lunar | SKCM Blues | AEK \\ Aeryx Aegis 1800 | C3 Tangerines | GMK WoB

Offline up-in

« Reply #933 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 01:06:43 »
Any Fellow German whos already got shipping notif?

Offline manzel

« Reply #934 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 02:13:11 »
Mine is out for delivery today. If it does not arrive until I have to leave, I will have to wait until next week -.-

Offline up-in

« Reply #935 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 02:20:05 »
Mine is out for delivery today. If it does not arrive until I have to leave, I will have to wait until next week -.-

At least you know it’s on the way 😁, i still haven’t got any shipping notification 🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline asury

• /u/adsury/
« Reply #936 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 02:45:46 »

At least you know it’s on the way 😁, i still haven’t got any shipping notification 🤷🏻‍♂️

I'm on the same boat, really hope that I'll be lucky enough to have it ship for me this weekend 🤞🏼 :D
Grey Duck Sidewinder/GMK Hyperfuse Origins/MX Black retooled | Sage M60-A/GMK Camping/Holy Sky | LFK68/DSA Granite Alps/SKCM Orange Alps

Offline heycheeeno

« Reply #937 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 04:42:01 »
Finally got mine and assembled it, very nicely packaged i have noticed a few things however.

The hot swap sockets are a little loose? For my board it seems to be most prevalent on the 5/6/7 keys.
Is this to be expected?

Also i accidentally dropped one of the rear hex keys and unable to find it, what size are they?

Offline Wilba

• * Maker
  • Keyboard Stuff Person
    • wilba.tech
« Reply #938 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 05:50:23 »
Finally got mine and assembled it, very nicely packaged i have noticed a few things however.

The hot swap sockets are a little loose? For my board it seems to be most prevalent on the 5/6/7 keys.
Is this to be expected?

Also i accidentally dropped one of the rear hex keys and unable to find it, what size are they?

Not sure if you mean the sockets are loose, or the switches in the sockets.

See the guides here: https://rama.works/guides

Perhaps your PCB is not flat in the middle and switches are not inserted fully.

The four bottom screws are M4, the hex key is 3mm.

Offline G1LL3Y

« Reply #939 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 07:04:06 »

Same here I am out here in TN, and still no notification on shipping as of yet... :/

Offline nerium

« Reply #940 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 07:36:38 »

Good to hear that I'm not the only one! Now to try and decide on switches.. I ordered Mist and a set of GMK WoB, but those don't ship until February :(
RAMA M60-A Mist w/ BOX Royals | RAMA M65-A Mist (unbuilt) | HHKB Pro 2 | HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | CM Novatouch | Poker II w/ MX Clears | Pok3r w/ MX Blues | SA Godspeed | SA Industrial | SA Ice Caps | SA Modern Selectric | DSA Dolch | GMK 3Run | Hidden Labs Thermochromic | Hot Keys Project Neon Green + Neon Orange

Offline Steerpike

« Reply #941 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 08:03:55 »
I should have expected it but damn is the customs fee expensive :(

Offline jjwax

« Reply #942 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 09:12:00 »

Good to hear that I'm not the only one! Now to try and decide on switches.. I ordered Mist and a set of GMK WoB, but those don't ship until February :(

I've got some lubed 78g zilents and gmk yuri ready to go! (unless I can find someone to trade for some sweet serika action!)

Offline G1LL3Y

« Reply #943 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 09:21:58 »

I've got some lubed 78g zilents and gmk yuri ready to go! (unless I can find someone to trade for some sweet serika action!)

I've got some tealios and sa penumbra solaraized to complement my Lake M60-A.

Offline siggerzz

« Reply #944 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 09:48:43 »

Oh god, how much are we talking? Not looking forward to mine getting shipped to the UK  :'(

Offline msvming

« Reply #945 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 09:53:00 »
Already receive Lake, damnnnn Niceeeee

but one quick question to the Via Configurator, i saw one grey button call "Any" which description as to put any qmk command but i dont know how to use it
For example, if i want LT(2,KC_SPC), will it possible under Via Configurator or i need to do it manually in QMK?

Thanks!

Offline Etherealsound

« Reply #946 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 10:20:31 »
Just a quick question, does this board need to be programmed? If so, it would be the first board I've ever had to program so not too sure how it will go aha.

Offline Clix4Clax

« Reply #947 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 10:22:50 »
Just a quick question, does this board need to be programmed? If so, it would be the first board I've ever had to program so not too sure how it will go aha.

I am pretty sure all the PCBs are flashed to a default layout posted earlier in the thread.

https://rama.works/guides/#/m60a-default-layout/

Offline pnkpanther65

« Reply #948 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 10:24:08 »

Oh god, how much are we talking? Not looking forward to mine getting shipped to the UK  :'(
Getting mine today in Canada, $104 Canuck Bucks :c

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Offline Mekuno

« Reply #949 on: Wed, 14 November 2018, 10:27:44 »
Same.. it's a pretty penny for sure. Next time I am going to ship it to US mail box and import it over using Crossborderpickups. You can declare your own amount there. Future reference.