Author Topic: GMK WoB 40s/ortho Micons mod kit  (Read 17914 times)

Offline harlekein

GMK WoB 40s/ortho Micons mod kit
« on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 10:23:16 »
GMK WoB 40s and ortho Micons kit

Update: I am not seeing this through. If someone wants to take over, I'll be happy to help you along.

234518-0

Micons design and kit render by Mito.

Submit your mail here to be informed when the GB goes live

The idea is to run a complete GMK mod kit which can be combined with a variety of alphas. I asked Mito if I could use his micons design and he was cool enough to agree and do the initial keyset render.

Colors
WoB
CR for base
WS1 for legends

GB will probably be in March 2020.

Renders by Mito

235782-1

235780-2

More

235774-3

235776-4

235778-5

235784-6

[ Specified attachment is not available ]

Vendors

EU: MyKeyboard.eu
NA: NovelKeys
OC: DailyClack

FAQ

Q: Can you do BoW?
I would like that, but unfortunately not at this moment. Perhaps later after this kit has proven to do well.

Q: Why isn't there 60,TKL/etc support?
A: A simular kit for larger layouts was recently run alongside GMK Hiragana.

Q: Why make an addon for GMK Hirgana micons kit instead?
A: It's not commonly available. I want this to be a kit independent from other mod kits.

Q: Why micons?
A: I know people like the original Cherry legends, but I think the micons are stylish and original. Some of the centered legends also allow for key flipping, bucause they look good or the same upside down, so they make great thumb keys. Additionally, it sets this kit apart from other base+40s addon kits.

Q: Why is ergo not supported?
A: That would require a lot of new legends or generic blanks. I am not interested in running blanks. GMK blanks was run not that long ago and will probably be repaeted in one way or another. I also think the kit is large enough as it is.

To do

- Finalize kit
- Get quote
- Get keyboard renders
- Set date

« Last Edit: Tue, 23 June 2020, 03:38:48 by harlekein »

Offline phunktional

Re: GMK WoB 40s/ortho micons mod kit
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 10:40:36 »
I like this. If you do BoW, would you consider matching GMK Minimal?

Offline harlekein

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 10:48:19 »
I like this. If you do BoW, would you consider matching GMK Minimal?

Probably. I updated the form with another question so people can specify their preference.

Offline vosechu

« Reply #3 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 10:53:08 »
Do you need permission from folks to use these designs? Or if you already talked to mito et al, would you mind adding that to the OP?

Thank you! Compatibility looks outstanding and really glad to see more ortho support!

Offline harlekein

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 12:30:37 »
Do you need permission from folks to use these designs? Or if you already talked to mito et al, would you mind adding that to the OP?

I did ask Mito before starting. It's in the top post. I updated it, do that's more noticeable.

Thank you! Compatibility looks outstanding and really glad to see more ortho support!

Glad to hear it!
« Last Edit: Fri, 03 January 2020, 00:35:52 by harlekein »

Offline psxndc

Re: GMK WoB 40s/ortho Micons mod kit
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 15:46:35 »
Looks dope. Any chance we could get an R3 1u and 1.25u backspace? I know I'll be the Colemak weirdo in this thread, but that's the one mod key included in a Colemak kit that wouldn't match up with Micons if this was combined with another set. 1.25 for normal 40s, 1u for ortho would be amazing.
Ortho. Always.

Offline CodeMayhem

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 16:30:41 »
that's awesome that he did the render

Offline bobdenard

« Reply #7 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 17:06:08 »
Wasn’t there already a WoB Micons kit along with the Hiragana Group Buy or is this different somehow?

Offline psxndc

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 02 January 2020, 17:10:40 »
This is different. That micons run didn't include support for 40s or ortho. This is specifically to address those boards.
Ortho. Always.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 02:58:05 »
I had to make a separate form to email when the GB goes live, because it was hard to connect the currently submitted responses to the email address. Sorry, this is my first time using Google forms like this. OP has been updated with the following form: https://forms.gle/mf6h2jJh659KeRKT9

Looks dope. Any chance we could get an R3 1u and 1.25u backspace? I know I'll be the Colemak weirdo in this thread, but that's the one mod key included in a Colemak kit that wouldn't match up with Micons if this was combined with another set. 1.25 for normal 40s, 1u for ortho would be amazing.

I am a Colemak user myself, but didn't think many people on 40%/ortho layouts would keep the backspace in that position intact. It's only two keys and it might even be the case I can remove keys from the current kit, so I'll keep it in mind.

Wasn’t there already a WoB Micons kit along with the Hiragana Group Buy or is this different somehow?
Like psxndc said, that was for full size keyboards only unfortunately. That's what makes this different.

Offline radam

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 03 January 2020, 18:47:32 »
Please consider a second 1u "code" key. I use them for the mac "cmd" key. Many of the ortho sets always only seem to have 1 and it's kind of a bummer.

Offline Marcus

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 04 January 2020, 05:32:01 »
The current GMK White-on-Black sets available on drop and originative have great coverage, but still miss out on providing coverage for many different layouts Upsers
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 January 2020, 04:41:14 by Marcus »

Offline harlekein

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 05 January 2020, 10:31:21 »
Please consider a second 1u "code" key. I use them for the mac "cmd" key. Many of the ortho sets always only seem to have 1 and it's kind of a bummer.
Could you swap the CTRL and CODE keys? I will consider it though, since we already have two CTRL and ALT keys. Might as well duplicate that one for symmetric layouts.

Offline elguey

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 05 January 2020, 21:16:05 »
This is probably an unintentionally mistake but the form mislabels GMK Minimal as CR on WS2 instead of CR on WS1( which is the correct one). CR on WS2 is GMK Monochrome

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 05 January 2020, 23:29:18 »
ISO Enter?

Offline harlekein

« Reply #15 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 02:44:50 »
This is probably an unintentionally mistake but the form mislabels GMK Minimal as CR on WS2 instead of CR on WS1( which is the correct one). CR on WS2 is GMK Monochrome

Thank you. You are entirely correct. I will remove this option from the form as this makes the entire process easier. I will match original WOB and GMK Minimal.

ISO Enter?

Sorry, but I think that's just too niche for 40% layouts. GMK Hiragana had an ISO enter in its micons kit.
« Last Edit: Mon, 06 January 2020, 05:50:11 by harlekein »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #16 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 13:59:58 »

Thank you. You are entirely correct. I will remove this option from the form as this makes the entire process easier. I will match original WOB and GMK Minimal.

ISO Enter?

Sorry, but I think that's just too niche for 40% layouts. GMK Hiragana had an ISO enter in its micons kit.

Well. I am a niche within the niche. I appreciate the replay though.

Offline radam

« Reply #17 on: Mon, 06 January 2020, 23:35:50 »
Could you swap the CTRL and CODE keys? I will consider it though, since we already have two CTRL and ALT keys. Might as well duplicate that one for symmetric layouts.

I could, but I actually like that  you provide CTRL in R3, which I would actually use in that position. Unless I use a novelty escape key and use the escape micon in the R3 position.. it just limits options a bit.

Offline VXQN

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 07 January 2020, 08:57:20 »
Definitely want this. Following closely. 👀

Offline harlekein

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 08 January 2020, 03:00:50 »
An update on BOW: It won't happen at this time. I would love to offer it, but without a vendor willing to buy up stock on this, it's not feasible. Perhaps at a later time once this concept has proven itself.

I will stick to WOB due to the current compatibility with other kits.

I did update the IC form: https://forms.gle/YAQouCYCEdQstxB77

There's a couple of questions regarding keys in the set. Please respond if you have an opinion on it.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 05:16:18 »
Some updates:

- Updated image with final kit.
- Asking for a quote through local vendor. I am asking for a quote including convex 1.5u space bars instead of just R4 blanks.

Board renders coming soon.

Offline VXQN

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 05:38:23 »
Hell yeah! Glad to see it's moving along.

Offline Robosculpts

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 29 January 2020, 06:03:37 »
Hella dig this!

Offline harlekein

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 02:44:58 »
Update:

- Added renders to OP
- Still waiting for quote from GMK. Appartantly they are at a fair this week and normal operations are delayed.

Offline equalunique

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 09:26:31 »
Still excited for this

Offline D3LTA

« Reply #25 on: Fri, 14 February 2020, 11:07:29 »
I am definitely interested in picking this up. Also, would love for the Minimal color scheme. Could pair this nicely with the current GMK Zhuyin currently in GB.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 03:42:56 »
There was a miscommunication with vendor/GMK.

I asked to get quotes for 1.5u convex keys included in the kit. They returned saying they don't have the molds for that.

I now specifically asked for a quote with 1.5u convex and a quote for regular R4 1.5u keys.

Hopefully getting updates soon and then I will have to figure out a new GB date.

This is not dead. I'll keep you posted.

Additionally if someone with the talent and inspiration could make a promo signature for this IC, I'd very much appreciate it.
« Last Edit: Fri, 13 March 2020, 03:45:15 by harlekein »

Offline Nvmbra

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 13:09:51 »

I now specifically asked for a quote with 1.5u convex and a quote for regular R4 1.5u keys.

1.5u space bars would be so nice. I'd probably just join to get them.

I asked about different space bar sizes last year at the start of summer and was told they only do new tooling for new keycaps that aren't currently available, if there is a demand from the community as a whole and not just for one GB.

Would that mean the cost of the new tooling needed would be included in the price of the kit or will it be similar to the 3u space bars where it gets put into development(took more then 6 months) from GMK themselves and they will be available for everyone at no additional cost?

Offline harlekein

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 13:50:53 »
1.5u space bars would be so nice. I'd probably just join to get them.

I asked about different space bar sizes last year at the start of summer and was told they only do new tooling for new keycaps that aren't currently available, if there is a demand from the community as a whole and not just for one GB.

Would that mean the cost of the new tooling needed would be included in the price of the kit or will it be similar to the 3u space bars where it gets put into development(took more then 6 months) from GMK themselves and they will be available for everyone at no additional cost?

I'm not sure how they would determine the demand from the community as a whole. A lot of split ortho's have 1.5u as thumb keys which would be great to have as a space key. GMK is an exception, but I am happy they usually make the cut in other profiles.

The way I understood it was that there are two ways of pricing. One is for a specific GB and will be pricy, but much less so if GMK has rights to use the molds afterwards in how they see fit. This would mean they also become available to the community for other GB's. The price will be less in that way.

It could be that this information is not entirely correct. I am hearing this from the vendor who is in contact with GMK. I made it clear I would be very happy for these molds to be available to the community. So all I can do now is wait again and ask for updates if it's taking a while.

Offline Nvmbra

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 15:05:54 »

I'm not sure how they would determine the demand from the community as a whole. A lot of split ortho's have 1.5u as thumb keys which would be great to have as a space key. GMK is an exception, but I am happy they usually make the cut in other profiles.

The way I understood it was that there are two ways of pricing. One is for a specific GB and will be pricy, but much less so if GMK has rights to use the molds afterwards in how they see fit. This would mean they also become available to the community for other GB's. The price will be less in that way.

It could be that this information is not entirely correct. I am hearing this from the vendor who is in contact with GMK. I made it clear I would be very happy for these molds to be available to the community. So all I can do now is wait again and ask for updates if it's taking a while.

Could there be a misunderstanding between molds and tooling? New molds(=Schriftsätze) shouldn't add much more to the quote, especially if you reach a high MOQ. But the 1.5 space bar would need a new tooling(=Werkzeug), like the 3u space bar, which should be more expensive. Molds can also be used for any row after they have been made AFAIK.

But to clarify I was told this; "Nur eine ausreichende Nachfrage, guter Absatz rechtfertigt neue Werkzeuge."(Only a sufficient demand, good sales warrant new toolings.), when I asked for further space bar options.

Any way I hope you are able to add them to the kit because 1.5u space bars would allow for symmetrical bottom rows on split space bar layouts and I'd really appreciate that as someone who uses wide mod on standard staggered layouts.

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #30 on: Fri, 13 March 2020, 17:04:02 »

Could there be a misunderstanding between molds and tooling? New molds(=Schriftsätze) shouldn't add much more to the quote, especially if you reach a high MOQ. But the 1.5 space bar would need a new tooling(=Werkzeug), like the 3u space bar, which should be more expensive. Molds can also be used for any row after they have been made AFAIK.

But to clarify I was told this; "Nur eine ausreichende Nachfrage, guter Absatz rechtfertigt neue Werkzeuge."(Only a sufficient demand, good sales warrant new toolings.), when I asked for further space bar options.

Any way I hope you are able to add them to the kit because 1.5u space bars would allow for symmetrical bottom rows on split space bar layouts and I'd really appreciate that as someone who uses wide mod on standard staggered layouts.

In keycap manufacturing, what is the difference between molds and tooling?

Offline Nvmbra

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 15 March 2020, 04:51:40 »

In keycap manufacturing, what is the difference between molds and tooling?

I'd be curious about this too. Maybe GMK Andy or someone more knowledgeable of the process could clear it up.

Things might be different now but back in July GMK differentiated between what we usually refer to as molds(the mold for the legend coloured part of the keycap) and toolings(the mold(?) for the keycaps' base coloured part) with the latter not being as readily available for GBs.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 15 April 2020, 20:37:42 »
As someone eyeing the WoB Hiragana micons (extras will be up on Friday), but owning primarily ortho boards, I really *really* appreciate that this is a standalone set and not an add on to that. Looking forward to this.
Ortho. Always.

Offline Crazy Designers

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 04:37:49 »
love this design so much!
Future Art Community.

Offline VXQN

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 16 April 2020, 05:31:58 »
Love mod-only sets so I'm following this closely. Is there any chance of adding a 1.25u convex key for split space users?

Offline harlekein

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 07:55:00 »
Here's my update:

I have been chasing the vendor who has been chasing GMK for a long time. And honestly, I'm tired of it.

First time took months and then the message I got back was "1.5u convex doesn't exist". I knew that and asked for a quote for both. So I specified that again. Radio silence, and asking for updates does not change that.

I'm kind of done with GMK and I don't feel motivated running this anymore. If someone wants to take over the project, let me know and I'll be happy to help you along the way.

Offline psxndc

« Reply #36 on: Sun, 28 June 2020, 20:13:02 »
Hey Harlekein, did anyone pick this up?
Ortho. Always.

Offline harlekein

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 04:45:43 »
Hey Harlekein, did anyone pick this up?
No one contacted me about this.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #38 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 05:49:16 »
Hope someone picks this up. I'd definitely be down for picking one up.

Offline robinjamess

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:20:45 »
The current GMK White-on-Black sets available on drop and originative have great coverage, but still miss out on providing coverage for many different layouts TcsWebmail
DadeSchools
Upsers

The idea behind these kits is to add some more compatibility options to this iconic set that aren't currently available, that we have been seeing in recent extension kits. The keycaps are CR with WS1 legends, matching with GMK WoB of course.
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:22:52 by robinjamess »

Offline Sterenke

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 23 April 2021, 13:35:20 »
Amazing kit!
Would strongly consider this if it used OG icons.
Good luck with IC and GB!

Online HappyB0T

• I'm a Piggie
« Reply #41 on: Sat, 24 April 2021, 19:44:17 »
+1 if you WOB | BOW would make sense also.

Offline wayneoo12

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 22 December 2021, 23:47:23 »
Hope someone picks this up. I'd definitely be down for picking one up.

I am going pick this up. :cool: :cool: :cool: :cool:
I love to get products at a lesser delivery price from Upsers.

Offline shawnbrown

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 12 January 2022, 21:47:59 »
Tried buying one of the keyboard and damn they don't ship to my address  :(

Offline Mecxs

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 12 January 2022, 22:24:26 »
Tried buying one of the keyboard and damn they don't ship to my address  :(

Based on you posting that in this thread, I am not sure that you are necessarily the most accurate judge of your own location.

Goodluck nevertheless.

Offline markosphilips

« Reply #45 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 01:05:25 »
I'm purchasing but they don't ship to my location.

Offline ggggggg

• schmeiß die forties durch den club
« Reply #46 on: Thu, 10 February 2022, 03:45:40 »
I've bought this three times now and all packages ended up somewhere in Siberia. Gonna keep at it 👌👌🤔💪

Offline kmiller

« Reply #47 on: Thu, 17 March 2022, 01:10:39 »
I'm purchasing but they don't ship to my location.
i am also facing same issues so order it to my place, told him to send to me

Offline peterburten

• JJSploit
    • JJSPloit
« Reply #48 on: Thu, 06 October 2022, 06:02:07 »
What is the actual size of this? in centimeters, please?