Author Topic: This year may be biblical  (Read 50737 times)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: This year may be biblical
« Reply #200 on: Sun, 17 March 2024, 08:21:30 »

Greenland and Antarctica will melt 10 times faster than previous consensus estimates

I have been going on about this for years.

For once I strongly agree with TP4

Many times I have said that if you want to see Miami, get down there soon.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #201 on: Sun, 17 March 2024, 09:18:41 »
According to the article, we were at ~30,000,000 tons of ice melt per day in greenland,  currently it's 720,000,000 tons/day.

Exponential increase,

In 1700 we only had ~500,000,000 people and the First commercial steam pump (pre steam engine).  NOT that long ago.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #202 on: Sun, 17 March 2024, 10:23:01 »

NOT that long ago.

The population of the planet has more than tripled in my lifetime ....

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #203 on: Sun, 17 March 2024, 11:20:05 »
Could we please consider the ice. Seriously, we're losing it.  Estimates now up to 5 meters by end of century.

"The study—written by James Hansen, NASA’s former lead climate scientist, and 16 co-authors, many of whom are considered among the top in their fields—concludes that glaciers in Greenland and Antarctica will melt 10 times faster than previous consensus estimates, resulting in sea level rise of at least 10 feet (3m) in as little as 50 years. "

It's worse than that graphic.
It doesn't account for storm surge and king tides (Miami downtown already floods during king tides as it's only 6 feet above sea level)
You can't put a dike around the entirety of Florida, the cost would be astronomical and if you want to just do Miami the area that you would need the dike is some of the wealthiest real estate in the world. By the time it's not it will be too late to save the rest of it. Don't forget Florida is a sponge/swamp, the water seeps in through the ground and it's sinking 1/2in per year so in 50 years it's going to be more than 2 feet lower than it is now and the weight of a dike is only going to make it worse.

Then again, we're a stupid and stubborn species so we'll probably spend 10x more than we should trying to save it only to end up with a useless swamp.
Case in point, FEMA rules state that in order to get money for a disaster you have to rebuild in the same place. We need to push people out of disaster areas, not rebuild in them.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #204 on: Sun, 17 March 2024, 12:52:04 »
The Noaa viewer says it accounts for tides, but the 3 meters display is nothing compared to the latest projections.

As for disaster, no amount of insurance can hold this. So, basically in those areas, it's the end of property insurance.

Tp4 half suspects that these large funds (much of which are public backed) moving to purchase property are just bailing out rich landowners PRE-collapse, so they can cash out first on their soon to be worthless holdings..

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #205 on: Mon, 18 March 2024, 09:34:09 »

Greenland and Antarctica will melt 10 times faster than previous consensus estimates

I have been going on about this for years.

For once I strongly agree with TP4

Many times I have said that if you want to see Miami, get down there soon.
That's very ironic, isn't the entirety of Miami also sinking into the ground as well?
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #206 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 06:54:23 »
This is it, this is how we die.

The ability of trees and other plants to photosynthesize is dramatically reduced in low water/ heat-stressed climates. They demonstrate photorespiration (the opposite) of taking in carbon, they are (Coughing) out carbon.

The trees are sick, they will cough more into the future, Planetary boundaries/ FEEDBACK LOOP and then bleeearrcchh..

https://scitechdaily.com/climate-change-is-causing-trees-to-struggle-to-breathe/

Offline mohawk1367

• Typing on: HHKB Pro Hybrid Type-S
« Reply #207 on: Fri, 22 March 2024, 11:58:19 »
awesome
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #208 on: Sun, 07 April 2024, 10:41:51 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #209 on: Sun, 07 April 2024, 11:37:24 »
This really brings into context our very human limits. Even best case science, we're running on a prayer at this point that 2.5C is as hot as it gets.

Please eat m0ar veggies.

Offline _rubik

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Typing on: Brutal60, Lavenders Linears, GMK Jamon
« Reply #210 on: Sun, 07 April 2024, 12:38:06 »
Hey! More good news :

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-00932-w

Another thing for maintainers for time programming libraries to keep in mind. Greeeaatttt
ai03 Meridian ¤ Mech 27 ¤ E8.5 ¤ Brutal60 ¤ SSK White Label ¤ HHKB Pro JP ¤ vAEK68 Alps Blues ¤ RF87u

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #211 on: Sun, 07 April 2024, 12:48:15 »
Hey! More good news :

https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-024-00932-w

Another thing for maintainers for time programming libraries to keep in mind. Greeeaatttt

The articles says, it's all bull**** because the spin rate actually changes all the time, and we're just paving it over however we decide to count it.

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #212 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 09:04:18 »
This really brings into context our very human limits. Even best case science, we're running on a prayer at this point that 2.5C is as hot as it gets.

Please eat m0ar veggies.

Is the majority of the energy waste in meat production the actual raising of animals or more so the rest of the handshake. For example, beef is raised in Texas, shipped god knows were to be slaughtered, packed, etc, then shipped again to a distribution center and then to a grocer. If you have a farmer who is local to you and it's butchered locally, are you off-setting more of the energy waste because it's not being shipped around? I do understand that calorie for calorie we spend more resources to make meat than veggies.
Always looking for Alps SKCM/SKCL switches. Feel free to DM.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream
SA: Camping

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #213 on: Mon, 08 April 2024, 09:11:20 »
Not just energy cost, the bigger problem is the Land use opportunity cost. 

Beef takes 20-30 calories, produces 1 calorie, meat industry as a whole is 6 in 1 out. Leading cause of deforestation, ~90% of amazon deforestation.

Forests sequester lots of carbon,  cow feedlots do not. We use a total of 43% of the TOTAL earth's dry surface in animal agriculture according to the IPCC.

No amount of electric cars will ever make up that difference. You can turn off the entirety of humanity's fossil fuel industry, and it would not be enough.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #214 on: Fri, 12 April 2024, 10:23:02 »
Favorite quote:

"We live on a wild planet, a wobbly, erupting, ocean-sloshed orb that careens around a giant thermonuclear explosion in the void."

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2024/jan/17/greenland-losing-30m-tonnes-of-ice-an-hour-study-reveals

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #215 on: Sun, 14 April 2024, 07:27:12 »
Sooo.... Apparently,  Meta (owner of facebook+ etc), straight up blocks many climate change content.

Can't understand why them young people even still use facebook. Just use Gekha. Or go outside, grow some tomatoes.

https://kansasreflector.com/2024/04/04/when-facebook-fails-local-media-matters-even-more-for-our-planets-future/

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #216 on: Sun, 14 April 2024, 08:43:04 »

blocks many climate change content.

Don't worry, be happy. They only use about a terawatt hour of electricity per month.

Online Rhienfo

• Why is everything I want here so expensive :(
« Reply #217 on: Sun, 14 April 2024, 08:50:48 »
Sooo.... Apparently,  Meta (owner of facebook+ etc), straight up blocks many climate change content.

Can't understand why them young people even still use facebook. Just use Gekha. Or go outside, grow some tomatoes.

https://kansasreflector.com/2024/04/04/when-facebook-fails-local-media-matters-even-more-for-our-planets-future/

The only reason why I still use facebook is mainly because a lot of older people are still on facebook.

It sucks but for some people it's the only social media like it they have.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #218 on: Sun, 14 April 2024, 13:13:25 »

The only reason why I still use facebook is mainly because a lot of older people are still on facebook.

the only social media

As one of those "older people" (72 - just 2 months from today!) I hardly use "social media" at all, except that I have a photgrapher friend who posts his photos on Facebook.

I have never felt any need to use social media personally, although I can understand people putting up vacation photos and such.

But for people to use it as a reliable information source, uh, I don't think so.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #219 on: Mon, 15 April 2024, 05:30:23 »
BIRD FLU alarms going off.  Masks ** just wear 'm

Dubbed, HPAI

Last week, a Texas cattle worker got H5N1.. The flu cases were detected in cattle across texas-michigan.

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/4581683-migratory-birds-seals-bird-flu-outbreak/

"A blood analysis study suggests that about 21% of COVID survivors develop Long COVID. That tracks with a batch of Mississippi data which says 20% of adults have Long COVID. Yet another study from The Lancet confirms that, yes, Long COVID can linger in your body for years. "

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #220 on: Mon, 15 April 2024, 08:37:34 »

I have never felt any need to use social media personally, although I can understand people putting up vacation photos and such.
But for people to use it as a reliable information source, uh, I don't think so.
[/quote]

Everyone I have ever made friends with has a cell phone or other mode of digital communication. If social media was intended to keep up with your IRL friends I don't need a global platform to do that on. I can call them/send them a text or email.
AMD 5600x | RTX3080 | 2x 1TB NVME + 4x 4TB HDD | B550M Pro-P | 32GB RAM | RM850x | Node 804 | Schiit Modius/Magnius + Audeze LCD-2 | Dell S3422DWG
GMMK 1 Full Size Barebones | Zealio 67g ; Apple M3501 handwired | Alps SKCM Damped Cream

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #221 on: Mon, 15 April 2024, 19:21:55 »
TL;DR  "The northern permafrost region has been projected to shift from a net sink to a net source of carbon"

https://agupubs.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1029/2023GB007953

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #222 on: Mon, 15 April 2024, 20:28:31 »
It would seem like run-away is almost a certainty at this point.

This is going to get bad. We're at potentially 3-5 meters sea rise by 2100 according to the latest, but it looks to be accelerating even beyond that.

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #223 on: Tue, 16 April 2024, 06:45:52 »

Everyone I have ever made friends with has a cell phone or other mode of digital communication. If social media was intended to keep up with your IRL friends I don't need a global platform to do that on. I can call them/send them a text or email.
[/quote]

i mostly use snapchat to talk with people i know irl, and sometimes i use Instagram to look at cars
someone needs to make an aussie keyboard community called QMƎɹ┴⅄. get it? haha :D

Offline TomahawkLabs

« Reply #224 on: Tue, 16 April 2024, 10:22:32 »

Offline mohawk1367

« Reply #225 on: Wed, 17 April 2024, 10:20:03 »

Did your keyboard turn off?  :-\