Author Topic: BUILD LOG: GON Nerd60 V.2.1, GON Acrylic case, Zealios, ergo clears, ergo blacks  (Read 5253 times)

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I hope this log may interest some of my fellow GHers. I know there are other similar logs, but I have not seen one with the acrylic case. Besides, this time I will add some Zealios that are still in the mail.

This job will take some time, because I am still waiting for some parts, including the silicon balls from IMSTO. I will try the trampolin mod using IMSTO's silicon balls with the Zealios. For now, I will be posting pictures of the parts, tools and the soldering steps. I am a newbie at soldering, that may help fellow GHers that are still intimidating to try it, demostrating that it is not that hard, even the surface mount leds and resistors. I already build the current Nerd60 I am typing on right now, so this will be my second kit.

The switches mods

The board will have purple Zealios for the alphas, and ergo-clears with sprit's gold springs for the rest, top number row, modifiers and space bar. I am planning to add the trampoline mod with one or two IMSTO's balls each, but, considering that the plate will not allow top removal, I will do it first with my current GON that has PCB mounted switches, if I do not like it I can reverse it easily with it. The ergo clears will have Gateron bottoms, gold springs and original Cherry clear stems. The Zealios will be stock.

5b27

The iron tip was grinded in a ax shape that works wonderful for this soldering job, including surface mount as well as pass through components.

5b21 SMD soldering

The first step is to put flux and melt some solder on one of the paths of each component. In the case of the LEDs polarity is important.

The component should be place besides the solder, melt it and push the component inside the molten solder drop. The other side of it is the easiest one to solder. The final result for one resistor and its LED is shown bellow.

5b21 four layers acrylic case

5b21 Soldering unit and iron tip pictures

GON 4 layer acrylic case mini-review

General description

This is the cheapest sixty case in the GON's catalog, it has a plate that holds the switches, a top frame, a middle frame and a bottom. I ordered it with translucent top frame and bottom, the plate and middle frame are transparent and they came with the protector film still installed. The bolts and two legs are included, they are nice aluminum pieces that I ordered anodized in red.

Layouts available

The case support ANSI layout only and the shift keys and backspace can be splitted. It has openings for the stabilizers, that should be PCB mounted. The bottom row can be standard with 6.25u space bar and 1.25 mods, or the winkeyless style with 1.5 mods and 7u space bar. I will use the last one.

The switch plate

The plate holds the switches loosely, I will check if this feature makes the assembly a little bit harder. It does not allow top removal, therefore the switches should be customized before to mount them, or they will have to be desoldered to change springs, stems, or tops.

I will try to use it with no top frame to get a lower profile, it seems that it only needs shorter bolts.

More details and pictures coming soon.

5b19 - Components

TypeComponentSupplierStatusQtyPrice/pcTotal
CaseAcrylic 4 layers CaseGONOn-Hand16666.00
PCBNerd60 PCB Version 2.10GONOn-Hand15555.00
PCBSurface mount LEDGONOn-Hand260.12.60
PCBSurface mount resistorGONOn-Hand300.030.90
PCBCristal diodes pass thruGONOn-Hand610.0754.58
SwitchPurple Zealios (Alphas)Zeal PCIn-the-Mail340.7525.50
SwitchGold springs 62gspritOn-Hand270.123.24
SwitchGateron bottomshwoodOn-Hand270.38.10
SwitchGateron clear topshwoodOn-Hand270.38.10
SwitchCherry clear stemsOld stockOn-Hand270.12.70
SwitchIMSTO BallsIMSTOIn-the-Mail1220.0151.83
Key capsOG Cherry Alphas DS WoB setMuiriumOn-Hand13535.00
Key capsBluegaloo Mods setbillnyeTo be shiped14545.00
Key capsPBT Cherry space bar 7uIMSTOIn-the-Mail155.00
StabsCherry Stabs PCB setIMSTOOn-Hand177.00
Total w/o shipping270.55
5b18 - Surface mount LED and resistors:

Pass thru diodes

« Last Edit: Sun, 29 November 2015, 20:13:52 by ideus »

Offline Sed8op8

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Keyboard Padawan
Very cool please let me know your experience with the smd side leds as I am currently having an issue getting them to turn on and am really hoping I just missed something stupid
Looking for Black KMAC 2 or KMAC LE Preferably unbuilt kit but will consider an assembled board with clears Please PM me if you can help 8) Always on the lookout for KBK/KWK Bro Reapers,V2s and Clack factory skulls have lots of caps for trade

Offline slushi

Excited to see your build ideus! Definitely watching this thread.

HHKB Pro 2

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I hesitated a lot on posting this log; actually, I did not do that with the previous GON assembly I did, but your words are very encouraging, they mean, the log may have some value, besides being a documentation of the job. Thank you.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
I'm very happy doing through hole soldering but last time I tried SMD it did not go well, that was a long time ago but I've avoided it ever since.  Will be watching with interest to see how you think it's not so hard :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 21 November 2015, 11:14:27 by suicidal_orange »
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline slushi

I hesitated a lot on posting this log; actually, I did not do that with the previous GON assembly I did, but your words are very encouraging, they mean, the log may have some value, besides being a documentation of the job. Thank you.

I think your project is very interesting. I honestly had never considered the trampoline mod before and I will be using 67g tactile Zealios on my Duck Orion V2 once it comes in. I'd love to see all the mods you do and what your review is!

HHKB Pro 2

Offline filphil

• One day I hope to find a love like JD and Turk
I love build logs.  GLW LOG

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
5b19 OP Record update - table of components with status and approximated costs.

Edit: Coming soon, mini-reviews of the Acrylic GON case and the Nerd60 PCB.
« Last Edit: Thu, 19 November 2015, 00:04:59 by ideus »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Please feel free to post questions regarding the components or the build, I will try to answer them in enough detail to provide you with the information you are looking for.

Offline gabba-gool

Will definitely be watching this build.

What equipment are you using? I'm almost ready to make my purchases and always like to see what other GHers are using.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

What equipment are you using? I'm almost ready to make my purchases and always like to see what other GHers are using.

Do you mean the soldering gun? It is a cheapo one that cost me under $40, I will post pictures of it later. It worked well with my first build. In my experience the most important part is the tip you use.

Offline gabba-gool

Do you mean the soldering gun? It is a cheapo one that cost me under $40, I will post pictures of it later. It worked well with my first build. In my experience the most important part is the tip you use.

Yup, was curious about your setup

Offline slushi

Also, are the zealios you're using 62g as well?

HHKB Pro 2

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
Oh good to see this build log.  I love build logs too!  I hope all goes smoothly.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline infiniti

• I <3 KB
  • * Senior Moderator
  • Bob was here
    • PM me and ask for a custom title!
Subscribed and Happy Building! :thumb:

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I posted pictures of the soldering unit and its iron tip. I will post later today detailed pictures of the PCB and Case. I will install the surface mount LEDS flat, instead of facing the side of the board as GON recommended, it is just too hard to install them that way and the final effect is pretty close.
« Last Edit: Sun, 22 November 2015, 19:08:24 by ideus »

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
I made some progress on soldering diodes this afternoon, I found that this version of the Nerd60 PCB has both paths for SMD diodes as well as pass-trough holes, the main issue with this setting is that if some flux goes over the SMD paths while you are soldering pass-through ones the final result will not be very aesthetic.

Some additional information on the soldering tip at the OP.

Offline KeyNinji

• Nothing like the feel of Khails in the morning
Hey ideus, it's cool you're building your own.

I'm thinking about building my own acrylic gon keyboard, but I have concerns that Gon hasn't been responsive to folks. Is he fairly quick to ship parts for keyboards?

For what it's worth, I use a type of solder that has flux in the core. It's 63/37 (63% lead). This type of solder is extremely easy to work with and is self cleaning: http://bit.ly/1kY1olS.

If that link doesn't work, the brand is multicore, 63/37, C502. This is really good stuff to do your work on. It's also very thin at .38mm. This is great for small components.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 November 2015, 15:54:20 by KeyNinji »

Favorite switches at the moment: Khail Browns | Cherry Browns

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Hey ideus, it's cool you're building your own.

I'm thinking about building my own acrylic gon keyboard, but I have concerns that Gon hasn't been responsive to folks. Is he fairly quick to ship parts for keyboards?

For what it's worth, I use a type of solder that has flux in the core. It's 63/37 (63% lead). This type of solder is extremely easy to work with and is self cleaning: http://bit.ly/1kY1olS.

If that link doesn't work, the brand is multicore, 63/37, C502. This is really good stuff to do your work on. It's also very thin at .38mm. This is great for small components.

The parts I just bought from GON took under a month to be delivered, if you consider that the case is made to order, that was not bad at all. Thank you for the reference on the solder, it is very cool it has the flux already included. While I have not had any issue with what I am using now, it is very nice to know there is another alternative material.

Offline KeyNinji

• Nothing like the feel of Khails in the morning
Good to know about the order. I think I'm going to consider ordering the parts I need soon.

Favorite switches at the moment: Khail Browns | Cherry Browns

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Good to know about the order. I think I'm going to consider ordering the parts I need soon.

My experience purchasing parts from GON has been great so far, the quality of his PCBs are second to none and the interface to program the boards are outstanding, very simple to use and you can do pretty much anything you want. I have read about some people waiting a long time for their orders; but, in most cases those included assembled keyboards.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.

Diodes soldered.

The Zealios arrived.

The GON Nerd60 waiting for the Bluegaloo modifiers.

The alphas have Zealios, the modifiers and symbols have Gateron bottoms with clear tops, vintage white stems with gold springs; the number row got the same Gateron cases and springs but with vintage black stems. All the board feels great, butter smooth, and very quite.

With this build I confirmed that the final overall feeling depends on the case, plate, switches and key caps. It has OG white on black Cherry key caps.

Edit: The plate gives the board a very solid feeling while typing and reduce the noise down to almost zero, this thing is extremely quite, that makes the trampoline mode unnecessary. The PCB mount stabs at the bottom of the switches were not needed to be removed, the final assembly of the switches is very very tight.

No key chattering.

The last part of the project: The bluegaloo modifiers.

« Last Edit: Wed, 02 March 2016, 17:57:53 by ideus »

Offline lunas

Subscribed! Love build logs and very interested to see how you go about connecting the SMD components. I've done a bit of soldering, but nothing surface mount. Thanks for sharing.
Pok3r Whitefox

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Subscribed! Love build logs and very interested to see how you go about connecting the SMD components. I've done a bit of soldering, but nothing surface mount. Thanks for sharing.

The OP has a brief explanation and a couple of pictures on SMD soldering, if you need more details just let me know. I can elaborate the explanation and post some references to videos that show how to do it. It is not hard, it just requires a firm hand and a lot of patience.

Offline lunas

Thanks. I think I may need to buy a cheap kit and try my hand at it. Don't even know enough to know what questions to ask at this point.
Pok3r Whitefox

Offline stoic-lemon

Work logs like this are so valuable for those that come after. Thanks for sharing and making our build a little easier. I like that you explained how you did things, rather than just posting a ton of photos.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Work logs like this are so valuable for those that come after. Thanks for sharing and making our build a little easier. I like that you explained how you did things, rather than just posting a ton of photos.

If you need any further detail, just say so, I will be very happy to elaborate on it.

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Update: A picture of the board with the last component, the bluegaloo modifiers and a nice Cherry profile PBT 7u spacebar. Thank you Billnye and IMSTO.

Offline axtran

Did you solder any of the Side LEDs in perpendicular orientation? Or did you do all of them flat? A fully-illuminated picture would be a great addition to the thorough build log that you already have! :)
MX Silent > MX Vintage Black > Everything Else

Offline appleonama

• Trollo en USA
  • * Exquisite Elder
Show us the pcb  :-X

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
Show us the pcb  :-X

I will take and post some pictures of the PCB over the weekend.