Author Topic: Want to buy IBM 5251 Beamspring Backtab key  (Read 2423 times)

Offline VictorRR

Want to buy IBM 5251 Beamspring Backtab key
« on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 07:01:44 »
I everyone so i am in the process of restoring an IBM 5251 Beamspring Keyboard unfortunately it is not in the best of condition with shined and yellowed keycaps and some keys melted from cigarettes unfortunately. Ultimately I would like to get a full set of US layout 5251 caps. But that is very unlikely worst part about my keyboard is that it is actually missing a cap entirely the key in question is the big 3U backtab key on the numpad. If anyone has this key or know of any sources for Beamspring keys please let me know it would be much appreciated. Below is an image of the particular key I am missing.

Any help would be great Thanks.
« Last Edit: Tue, 06 August 2019, 07:08:21 by VictorRR »

Offline SneakyRobb

Re: Want to buy IBM 5251 Beamspring Backtab key
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 08:32:12 »
Hi, It is not necessarily ideal but selectric typewriter keycaps I believe basically fit the beamspring stem. So you could get some keys from one of those.   I don't think Selectrics have that sized key though. As well you could 3d print a plastic stem and then use a cherry mx style keycap on it.

Neither choice will match the colour or size, but would function.

Getting specifically that key in that colour might be hard as no one aside from Orihalcon really parts out beamsprings. You may get lucky and someone might have that key and also have no need for it.

Offline VictorRR

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 08:38:38 »
Hi Thanks for the reply I will try getting a selectric keycap set for the cigarette burned keys but that backtab is going to be a tricky one as there is no keys that size on the Selectric typewriter as you said.
While we are on the subject of keycap any idea how to whiten the key legends that have been stained yellow form tobacco is that actually possible. I thought maybe it might be as my keys are not yellowed form UV. Please let me know your thoughts on this.

Thanks.

Offline SneakyRobb

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 08:54:05 »
Hi,

If I recall there is a variation of selectric keycaps fitting on beamsprings from early to later ones. Some are very tight and some can be very loose so I would try to find those old threads. Searching google for stuff like "selectric keycaps on beamspring" etc. Try to check that first before ordering any keys.

I think I remember that later beamspring "dark shell/light legend" replacement keys used a different plastic for legends versus earlier production keycaps. So you occasionally find a few keys that have a very strange standout "yellowed" legend. I am pretty sure it is not from smoking, just from someone ordering a new keycap to replace a broken off one.

Honestly, I am not sure what can be done about it. I have never attempted to brighten/whiten any beamspring keycaps. All my keycaps have sublegends on them, and on the light keys they are all silk screened and are easily wiped off so Ive never done beyond a basic clean.

Offline VictorRR

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 09:01:35 »
No problem will do some research before getting the selectric keycaps only thing about selectric keycaps that I have noticed is from what I have seen they only come in smooth textured key tops where as with my original keys they have a texture any ideas what selectrics would have the textured rather than smooth keys?

Offline SneakyRobb

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 09:41:11 »
Hi, I don't know enough about selectrics to advise you on that.

I do know that many selectric keys as you mention are quite shiny and that beamspring keycaps have a textured surface as you have said. I am not sure if there are any matte/textured selectric caps.

One final thing is that your missing key has stabilizers iirc. I don't think as a typewriter mechanism that the selectric has the same sort of stabilizers.

In general though beamsprings have absurd side to side dimensions, and you can easily have a 4 unit wide key with no stabilizers still work alright.

Offline VictorRR

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 06 August 2019, 09:45:53 »
OK really appreciate the info once again.

Thanks.