Author Topic: [Oddforge] VE.A  (Read 238126 times)

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
Re: [Oddforge] VE.A
« Reply #650 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 23:08:16 »

i've made my own custom case for carrying a split keyboard like ve.a /ergo pro, but it hasn't come yet...

sorry for changing the topic, but;
do anyone here have SA keycaps that they could use on their VE.A? i was considering Dasher Dancer but i want to see how VE.A goes with SA Keycaps set..
a photo would be great  :p

thanks!

I would take some pics and post them but my VE.A still sitting here; un-assembled. Waiting on Zeal stabs.

Personally would be using cherry profiles on VE.A. After trying SA profiles, does not feels as good to type on, maybe because zealios wobble too much.

hmm, i guess you're right. the reason that i'm asking for the photo is because i was thinking that the SA profile would be too high for VE.A's slim case..
yes, cherry profile are great. i'm using my spare DCS Bumblebee right now, waiting for any good GMK that will (maybe) eventually show...
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline krisst

« Reply #651 on: Sat, 17 December 2016, 23:38:31 »

i've made my own custom case for carrying a split keyboard like ve.a /ergo pro, but it hasn't come yet...

do anyone here have SA keycaps that they could use on their VE.A? i was considering Dasher Dancer but i want to see how VE.A goes with SA Keycaps set..

thanks!

I would take some pics and post them but my VE.A still sitting here; un-assembled. Waiting on Zeal stabs.

Personally would be using cherry profiles on VE.A. After trying SA profiles, does not feels as good to type on, maybe because zealios wobble too much.

hmm, i guess you're right. the reason that i'm asking for the photo is because i was thinking that the SA profile would be too high for VE.A's slim case..
yes, cherry profile are great. i'm using my spare DCS Bumblebee right now, waiting for any good GMK that will (maybe) eventually show...

Currently enjoying using Carbon GMK.

Maybe you can take a look at upcoming YURI GMK. https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=76006.0

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #652 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 00:12:35 »

thanks!

Here you go

Personally, I wouldn't use a VE.A with any other keycap profile.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #653 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 00:35:47 »

thanks!

For what its worth, I have heard that newest round of zealios fixed the wobble issue.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline krisst

« Reply #654 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 01:49:45 »

thanks!

For what its worth, I have heard that newest round of zealios fixed the wobble issue.

I have heard about that. Seems a little late for the fix. Next purchase probably will be a topre. Maybe wait till Oddforge's next design, then consider getting more zealios or mod switches.

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #655 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 04:25:23 »

thanks!

Here you go

Show Image

Show Image

thank you! but i guess i'm right, for my hand that SA profile is just too high, i have to use another palm rest if i want to use SA profile..
TGR Jane V1 CE - TGR Jane v2 - TGR Jane V2 CE  - TGR 910 R1 - TGR 910 RE Polycarbonate - TGR 910v3 Prototype - TGR Police - TGR Tris - TGR Tomo Polycarbonate - RS60 - RS65 "Pendora" - RS TKL - EM8

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #656 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 08:02:12 »
I have heard about that. Seems a little late for the fix. Next purchase probably will be a topre. Maybe wait till Oddforge's next design, then consider getting more zealios or mod switches.

If wobble is your issue, nothing is going to ever mechanically beat Topre.

But the latest round of Zealios does fix the wobble problem from my experience with a switch tester pack. That said, after using Clears for 6 months, I can't get over just how much bumpiness/scratchiness is in a Zealio. But that's not a new issue.

Offline MandrewDavis

• Chasin' That Neon Rainbow
« Reply #657 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 19:46:27 »

But the latest round of Zealios does fix the wobble problem from my experience with a switch tester pack. That said, after using Clears for 6 months, I can't get over just how much bumpiness/scratchiness is in a Zealio. But that's not a new issue.

After getting into Alps, I am not the biggest fan of Zealios (or their price) but bumpiness?? and scratchiness are not an issue, especially compared to unlubed MX clears.
I've come to view humanity as predominantly monkey business.

My Classifieds Thread

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #658 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 21:13:06 »

After getting into Alps, I am not the biggest fan of Zealios (or their price) but bumpiness?? and scratchiness are not an issue, especially compared to unlubed MX clears.

Maybe I'm crazy but I can feel two distinct 'bumps' in a Zealio. One's right at the bottom of the switch, and it always feels weird.

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #659 on: Sun, 18 December 2016, 22:04:01 »
seeing the discussion between you two, i'm grateful that the one clicks with my hand is linear switches, not tactile or those clicky switches  :p though i have some soft spot for topre..

but i use matias ergo pro with quiet click switches for work, so i can kinda relate to MandrewDavis.

Offline litster

• rare caps?! THAT'S A SMILIN
« Reply #660 on: Mon, 19 December 2016, 22:36:51 »
Anyone has extra resistors and LEDs (for Capslock, Scroll Lock, and Num Lock) that you can sell and ship to me?  Will Paypal cost + shipping.  Thanks.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #661 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 00:37:25 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:27:43 by alienman82 »

Offline [Lewynlight]

• Formerly Dymloslouire
« Reply #662 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 01:03:36 »

thanks!

Here you go

Show Image

Show Image

thank you! but i guess i'm right, for my hand that SA profile is just too high, i have to use another palm rest if i want to use SA profile..

you know, after saying this i accidentaly ordered a SA Chronicler...you can hit me, i guess....  :-X

Offline roostrc0gburn

• * Esteemed Elder
  • its just plastic
« Reply #663 on: Tue, 20 December 2016, 12:28:03 »
waiting for oblivion, aka the end-game SA set

Offline Gatix

• #!/bin/sh
  • console.log
« Reply #664 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 01:24:06 »
Is it possible to have a different backlight color for each hand? I was able to do it but seems to be just a bug, it went to normal when rebooted.

Offline wodan

« Reply #665 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 01:39:38 »
Is it possible to have a different backlight color for each hand? I was able to do it but seems to be just a bug, it went to normal when rebooted.

Just get two VE.A, set one color each and then arrange them in a way that you only type on one half of each VE.A.

Another problem solved with money!

Offline krisst

« Reply #666 on: Wed, 21 December 2016, 03:50:32 »

Just get two VE.A, set one color each and then arrange them in a way that you only type on one half of each VE.A.

That might just add to the problem, he will want to have 4 different backlight colours with the 4 halves. Besides, desk space might be limited.

Offline zefyr

• Oddforge
« Reply #667 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 01:25:16 »

Ah, that's not a solution.
Color is controlled by left half only. Right half is slave, it will follow settings of master(left).
But having two VE.A is a BRILLIANT idea.
Unfortunately, there's no stock left anymore.
lol
ZeFyr "Vermillion" J.

Vergo type.T / alpetit / alpetit II / VE.A with Vergo type.T-II

Offline wodan

« Reply #668 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 01:27:45 »
But having two VE.A is a BRILLIANT idea.
Unfortunately, there's no stock left anymore.

Then it is time for the next round of VE.A!

Offline MajorKoos

• 1 life please. Extra large.
« Reply #669 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 07:06:31 »

I dream of a VE.A without the FN row - KMAC MINI style.

Offline juahenza

• DoSmallThingswithGreatLove
« Reply #670 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 08:57:35 »

:))
456GT | TGR Jane CE | Dolphin v2 | Whale | 360c | LZ FE | LZ IRON | TX-CP | Varmilo VA87M | HHKB P2 | IBM SSK P.1397681| IBM Industrial SSK P.1395682 | VE.A | Realforce 87u | Datamancer Streamline TKL | Datamancer Mechinist TKL | TANK v1 | RAMA M-4 | Realforce 108UW-HIPRO

Offline romevi

• Formerly romevi
  • * Exalted Elder
« Reply #671 on: Thu, 22 December 2016, 09:47:26 »
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

:))

Best Bambino sculpt.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #672 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 02:20:37 »

It's finally done! only things I have left to do are get rid of this atrocious sata cable and add lock leds as the resistors I ordered almost 2 months ago never showed up...also, ridiculously sad that these Cyan LEDs are more of a seafoam than cyan...at least they're sip socketed.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline LDobler

« Reply #673 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 14:39:17 »
Hello, I'm going to assemble my B-stock kit soon and have a question: What do I need besides cables, soldering equipment, stabs, switches, keycaps and 1.8mm leds (quantity:3)?

Thanks for your help in advance!!!  :)

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #674 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 14:52:47 »
Hello, I'm going to assemble my B-stock kit soon and have a question: What do I need besides cables, soldering equipment, stabs, switches, keycaps and 1.8mm leds (quantity:3)?

Resistors if those LEDs are fo the locks on the top left, and that would be it unless you also want in-switch LEDs. If you want the LEDs to match the default brightness of the in-switch LEDs, you'll need 910 ohm resistors. Or, if you're not using the in-switch LEDs, you could just steal a couple from switch resistor spots for your lock LEDs.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline LDobler

« Reply #675 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 15:11:43 »

Resistors if those LEDs are fo the locks on the top left, and that would be it unless you also want in-switch LEDs. If you want the LEDs to match the default brightness of the in-switch LEDs, you'll need 910 ohm resistors. Or, if you're not using the in-switch LEDs, you could just steal a couple from switch resistor spots for your lock LEDs.

Yes those are for the 3 lock leds! I think I will get those 3 extra 910 Ohm resistors just in case I want to install some in-switch leds.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply mate!  :thumb:

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #676 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 15:15:17 »

Yes those are for the 3 lock leds! I think I will get those 3 extra 910 Ohm resistors just in case I want to install some in-switch leds.

Thanks a lot for the quick reply mate!  :thumb:

No problem! Glad to help!

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #677 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 15:45:56 »

Some lube/grease for the stabs and, depending on your switch of choice, some o-rings. 
If your OCD level is high enough, lube and sticker your switches too.
Perhaps a different SATA cable as well.  I got one of these : http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=445
Finally, don't forget about a custom sheathed USB cable to go with your chosen theme :)

Offline LDobler

« Reply #678 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 16:22:11 »

Some lube/grease for the stabs and, depending on your switch of choice, some o-rings. 
Perhaps a different SATA cable as well.  I got one of these : http://www.silverstonetek.com/product.php?pid=445
Finally, don't forget about a custom sheathed USB cable to go with your chosen theme :)

Thanks for your reply!  ;D
What lube is used for switches and what grease is used for the stabs? Also where can I buy some?  :confused:
Thinking about getting a custom sheathed SATA cable from PexonPCs...

Offline MajorKoos

« Reply #679 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 16:54:48 »

What lube is used for switches and what grease is used for the stabs? Also where can I buy some?  :confused:

I just use PTFE grease for my stabilizers.  For the switches I use the same stuff I use on the chain of my mountain bike.
I think the main thing to watch out for is the solvent in the lube/grease so it doesn't dissolve any of the plastics.

Offline LDobler

« Reply #680 on: Wed, 28 December 2016, 17:17:28 »

I just use PTFE grease for my stabilizers.  For the switches I use the same stuff I use on the chain of my mountain bike.
I think the main thing to watch out for is the solvent in the lube/grease so it doesn't dissolve any of the plastics.

Thanks, I will keep that in mind!  :thumb:

So looking forward to this, just waiting for my switches to finally ship   :D

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #681 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 10:42:10 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:26:45 by alienman82 »

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #682 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 10:58:50 »
did anyone have a suggestion for mounting tape for the badge plates?

I just used a cheap 3m double-sided my wife picked up from a craft store for photos. It's working great so far and I can't even move the plates.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #683 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 11:01:31 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:26:43 by alienman82 »

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #684 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 11:03:17 »

I just used a cheap 3m double-sided my wife picked up from a craft store for photos. It's working great so far and I can't even move the plates.

like from hobby lobby or AC Moore?  I should check there, had zero luck at walmart, lowes, home depot.  Stuff was too thick.

Uhh...pretty sure it was from Joann's, but don't quote me on that.

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #685 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 11:06:57 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:26:40 by alienman82 »

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #686 on: Thu, 29 December 2016, 11:07:34 »

like from hobby lobby or AC Moore?  I should check there, had zero luck at walmart, lowes, home depot.  Stuff was too thick.

Uhh...pretty sure it was from Joann's, but don't quote me on that.

we got those too.  Thanks

NP!

Offline Vypr

« Reply #687 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 23:39:42 »
Finally got around to building mine (finally have time off from work, my zeal parts came in), though spread through 2 days cause I'd have to go out every once in awhile. I ended up installing the switches on the morning of the first day I started the project, built the tenting kit on the first night, then soldered and final assembly on the 2nd day.
I went with a very non-standard layout of a 1.5u backspace above the Enter key, so finding keycaps is going to be a challenge (but I can't go back after using the TrueFox whitefox layout)

I installed mine with 62g Zealios, Zeal's transparent screw in stabs with gold wire, and zealencios

Assembling the tenting kit was much easier once I laid out all the parts.

Cleaning all the flux from the board after soldering switches and LEDs, also installed the lock LED indicators (num lock = blue, caps lock = green, scroll lock = red)

Testing the LEDs

Installing the Zealencios

Next step for me will be to order a replacement custom sleeved mini USB-b cable, sleeved SATA cable, and keycaps (I wasn't very satisfied with the coloring on the keycaps provided by Massdrop).

Thanks Zefyr for putting together such a great kit.
(Also thank you Zeal if you happen to come across this thread as well)
current keyboard: VE.A (home) WhiteFox TrueFox (home)  MD1 Infinity (Home)  Infinity Ergodox (work)
future keyboards:

Online KetchyKech

• ∴∵∴◇❖◇∴∵∴
« Reply #688 on: Fri, 30 December 2016, 23:55:10 »
Finally got around to building mine (finally have time off from work, my zeal parts came in), though spread through 2 days cause I'd have to go out every once in awhile. I ended up installing the switches on the morning of the first day I started the project, built the tenting kit on the first night, then soldered and final assembly on the 2nd day.
I went with a very non-standard layout of a 1.5u backspace above the Enter key, so finding keycaps is going to be a challenge (but I can't go back after using the TrueFox whitefox layout)

I installed mine with 62g Zealios, Zeal's transparent screw in stabs with gold wire, and zealencios
Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Cleaning all the flux from the board after soldering switches and LEDs, also installed the lock LED indicators (num lock = blue, caps lock = green, scroll lock = red)
Show Image

Testing the LEDs
Show Image

Show Image

Next step for me will be to order a replacement custom sleeved mini USB-b cable, sleeved SATA cable, and keycaps (I wasn't very satisfied with the coloring on the keycaps provided by Massdrop).

Dude, awesome little build log you provided here.

Ppl don't understand how helpful the little tips are for others when they post them!! So thank you!

enjoy it!
∴∵∴◇Time TKL--VE.A--F&T 1916--Cajal--Octagon v2◇∴∵∴

Offline clappingcactus

« Reply #689 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 08:04:02 »
Beautiful work. You should check the LED on your X key. It looks like it's dead. :(

Offline Vypr

« Reply #690 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 08:38:22 »
Beautiful work. You should check the LED on your X key. It looks like it's dead. :(

ah good catch, I completely missed that, I'll have to check on it, thanks

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Testing the LEDs
Show Image

Show Image

Dude, awesome little build log you provided here.

Ppl don't understand how helpful the little tips are for others when they post them!! So thank you!

enjoy it!

Thanks  :)

current keyboard: VE.A (home) WhiteFox TrueFox (home)  MD1 Infinity (Home)  Infinity Ergodox (work)
future keyboards:

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #691 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 12:02:15 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Testing the LEDs
Show Image

Show Image

Such a beautiful build man! Really cool to see it documented like this.

Offline Gatix

• #!/bin/sh
  • console.log
« Reply #692 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 14:03:14 »
Is there anything else you need to do to make the lock indicator LEDs to work? Mine doesn't, I'm afraid I got the polarity reversed..

Offline aaron6301

• Pixel Pusher
« Reply #693 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 14:06:42 »
Is there anything else you need to do to make the lock indicator LEDs to work? Mine doesn't, I'm afraid I got the polarity reversed..
The polarity of the resistors dont matter. There are two pads that you have to bridge for each indicator.   

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

Offline Vypr

« Reply #694 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 14:33:03 »

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Show Image

Testing the LEDs
Show Image

Show Image

Such a beautiful build man! Really cool to see it documented like this.
Thanks

The polarity of the resistors dont matter. There are two pads that you have to bridge for each indicator.   

I have the pads shorted for full led on mine and on the configuration app I set the Num, Caps, and Scroll Lock indicators to be indicators if that makes sense

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
future keyboards:

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #695 on: Sat, 31 December 2016, 23:08:56 »
I played around in autoCAD and I think this is a working 1.25u bottom row VEA plate.
Someone double check for me since that's my first time touching cad.
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline Gatix

• #!/bin/sh
  • console.log
« Reply #696 on: Sun, 01 January 2017, 03:29:13 »

I see. Thank you!

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #697 on: Sun, 01 January 2017, 11:56:35 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:26:26 by alienman82 »

Offline alienman82

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #698 on: Sun, 01 January 2017, 13:06:11 »
removed.
« Last Edit: Thu, 01 March 2018, 13:26:24 by alienman82 »

Offline Vypr

« Reply #699 on: Sun, 01 January 2017, 14:02:26 »
someone help me please

I reflowed everything, and now all the lock leds are flashing?  what does this mean
I'm not sure I'll be able to help, but do you have a pic of your board and the soldering so we can take a look? When you bridged the indicator points, which points did you bridge?

ah good catch, I completely missed that, I'll have to check on it, thanks

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to fix this. I was able to remove the dead LED, but some solder got stuck in one of the LED holes on the switch side and I've been unable to open the switch up since the plate is so tight. For now, I've left the 'x' key without a LED.
future keyboards: