geekhack Community > Keyboards

PBT keycaps sticky after 9 months

(1/6) > >>

Slusho64:
My Ducky doubleshot PBT keycaps are sticky and a little shiny after normal use for 9 months. I bought a second set so I've replaced them and I have the old ones in a baggie. I asked some people on Discord and they said to use a denture cleaning tablet in water for an hour. I tried that on three of the keycaps and it made no difference. Is this permanent or is there some way of making them not sticky again?

Justintoxicated:
what do you mean by sticky?

Slusho64:

--- Quote from: Justintoxicated on Tue, 04 December 2018, 14:07:59 ---what do you mean by sticky?

--- End quote ---

They don't feel dry. They feel sticky. Like the spacebar feels like that more where I usually hit it with my finger. I know ABS gets shiny and somewhat sticky after a few months but I've always heard PBT does not so I thought I'd be able to fix it by cleaning.

sncbraxsc2:
You know how if you go down a slide wearing shorts, sometimes your skin will stick to it? It can happen when you go down a waterslide on your back too..

I think a similar phenomena can be experienced with shined caps. Does that sound like what you experience in terms of stickiness?

Slusho64:
I'm not sure where the confusion is coming from. Sticky keycaps is common for ABS. I'll describe it more, though. If I rub my finger over a new keycap, it's pretty smooth (low friction). If I rub it over the older ones, the friction is higher. It's kind of gooey feeling. Like hard plastic vs soft touch/rubberized (not that much obviously).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version