Author Topic: [IC] GMK Orange Juice 🍊  (Read 16544 times)

Offline pan

• Massdrop
[IC] GMK Orange Juice 🍊
« on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 11:30:51 »
GMK Orange Juice

Hi everyone, hope you are well. This is my first IC.

My inspiration for this set comes from my love of OJ and also a desire to build a fully orange keyboard.
My relationship with orange juice comes from a childhood memory of finishing my swimming lessons
(I wonder if that's an Australian thing); and coming home to a hard earned glass of OJ.

I have searched high and low for the right keyset, but nowhere offers me a truly orange set,
with most of what is on the market being Orange-on-White, Orange-on-Black,
or only the mods being orange and everything in between.

So here I propose a truly
Orange-on-Orange
(with a bit o' green)
set

(to go with your C3 tangerines...)

In addition to the base set, I will propose add-on kits such as different coloured modifiers and compatibility sets,
as well as novelties and possibly deskmats.

Ultimately, I want this set to be cheaper (GMK cheap? LOL) as well, so I want to restrict this set down to Latin alphas
and if there is no demand for different coloured modifiers, I would like the colour palette restricted too.

Colours being used are:

Base Kit
Here I've included the base kit; in the future I will add other kits depending on feedback.
I also hope to get proper renders of these instead of just the layout image.

Feedback
I would really appreciate your feedback on this idea to gauge interest
and see whether or not I can make this a reality.

https://forms.gle/s2jiWTsXXunu1LYf8

To-do list:
  • Add renders
  • Find vendors
  • Others???
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2020, 11:43:53 by pan »
RAMA U80-A Milk, Holy Panda, GMK9009

Waiting on:
G60 NCR

Offline pan

• Massdrop
Re: GMK Orange Juice 🍊
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 11:31:28 »
Reserved.

Waiting on:
G60 NCR

Offline Obamas Mama

Re: [IC] GMK Orange Juice 🍊
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 11:36:27 »
Pulp or no pulp? I'm only in if you answer correctly.

Offline blacksimon

• illuminati.works
    • illuminati.works
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 11:36:43 »
pls daddy no don't make me wear the lobster costume again

Offline pan

• Massdrop
« Reply #4 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 11:38:39 »
Pulp or no pulp? I'm only in if you answer correctly.

*sweats nervously*

pulp...

Waiting on:
G60 NCR

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

Re: [IC] GMK Orange Juice
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 11:40:30 »
https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/d15609cd-92aa-4059-9e87-b147318a7cb3

Unlike Tony here, I like OJ you can chew a bit.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2020, 11:44:14 by IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES »

Offline Module

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 12:18:07 »

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 12:21:06 »
Looks pretty similar to GMK Citrus: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/czrhov/ic_gmk_citrus/

I liked that one better but until there’s some activity that’s as dead as VE.A rd2.

Offline break

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 12:25:17 »
Love the idea, I decided against buying into GMK Coral + coral extras because of cost.

I worry about legend saturation here. The set risks looking too washed out with 1365C legends, and from what I hear GMK color matches more accurately with RAL colors.

Offline frostykoala

• consider Nightlight
    • Check out some Renders :)
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 12:47:58 »
I like orange juice

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #10 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 13:39:22 »
So is the new trend to only offer a base kit in the first IC and then maybe add extras depending on feedback? I, for one, am not a new fan of this seemingly new direction.

For starters, there’s No U.K. ISO support at all. What about a small spacebars kit? Second B? You don’t need to receive feedback about potentially offering these keys. You should offer them up front and considering changing that after receiving feedback.

That being said, have you considered using any stock GMK colors? V2 and N7 can probably be used here instead of a custom Pantone. Would help tremendously with cost.

Offline mrpetrov

« Reply #11 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 13:44:11 »
While the renders look great, I would have real concerns about the legends and backgrounds being far too close irl based on prior examples. I think going for a whiter or creamier legend color - like the color of the white part of the orange under the skin, would be preferable. I personally wouldn't risk buying the set with the alphas and legends that close in color tone despite really liking the set otherwise.

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #12 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 15:26:46 »
I love Orange Juice.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 15:47:44 »
it's nice but orange GMK sets typically do not do so well

gl
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline pan

• Massdrop
« Reply #14 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 18:07:17 »
Looks pretty similar to GMK Citrus: https://www.reddit.com/r/mechmarket/comments/czrhov/ic_gmk_citrus/
I did not see that, but if that does come into fruition that could be something I would buy into!

Love the idea, I decided against buying into GMK Coral + coral extras because of cost.

I worry about legend saturation here. The set risks looking too washed out with 1365C legends, and from what I hear GMK color matches more accurately with RAL colors.

Hmm I did not know this, but I will have a look into RAL colours and reconsider. Thank you for letting me know!

While the renders look great, I would have real concerns about the legends and backgrounds being far too close irl based on prior examples. I think going for a whiter or creamier legend color - like the color of the white part of the orange under the skin, would be preferable. I personally wouldn't risk buying the set with the alphas and legends that close in color tone despite really liking the set otherwise.

That was something I did not consider, but now that you've mentioned it, I will have a look into changing the legends into something brighter.

So is the new trend to only offer a base kit in the first IC and then maybe add extras depending on feedback? I, for one, am not a new fan of this seemingly new direction.

For starters, there’s No U.K. ISO support at all. What about a small spacebars kit? Second B? You don’t need to receive feedback about potentially offering these keys. You should offer them up front and considering changing that after receiving feedback.

That being said, have you considered using any stock GMK colors? V2 and N7 can probably be used here instead of a custom Pantone. Would help tremendously with cost.

Thank you for the feedback. I followed GMK Sandstorm by Zambumon's core kit as a template in making mine. I definitely did consider adding ISO support to the base kit though and they are on the table for being offered.
« Last Edit: Sun, 17 May 2020, 18:19:03 by pan »

Waiting on:
G60 NCR

Offline Steak

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 18:10:06 »

I agree. I think i'd like to see the legends a fair bit lighter.

It's very striking and crisp though. I'll be paying attention to this for sure.

Offline Owl

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 18:45:13 »
Interesting. The single green esc key actually works so well and gives me the impression of the orange without needing an explanation. Simple but effective. good stuff.

Offline udller

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 19:46:35 »
i like this.

Offline LevelSteam

« Reply #18 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 21:12:54 »
I like it, but agree with the others that the legends are likely a bit too close to the main colors and will be washed out. Using a more cream color definitely sounds like a good idea, but overall this is a cool concept.

Offline Key_Capt

« Reply #19 on: Sun, 17 May 2020, 21:14:29 »
Cream legends would look really nice

Offline VXQN

« Reply #20 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 03:46:34 »
Would much prefer white legends (á la GMK Citrus). But I love orange so I'm interested!

Offline norb

« Reply #21 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 06:16:13 »
i'm buying too much keycaps but i'd still buy this! :thumb:

Offline dantambok

« Reply #22 on: Mon, 18 May 2020, 11:14:25 »
it's so.. orangey..
Stuff  I have
More
2x TGR Alice / TGR 910 RE / TGR 910 CE / TGR 910 VKC / 2x TGR Jane V2 / 2x Matrix 2.0 / Matrix 2.2 / Matrix 1.2OG / Lyn Whale v2 / Lyn EM7 v3 / DK Saver / Keycult No. 1/60 /  Quantrik Hachi /  Quantrik  Kyuu / Duck Orion V2 / TGRxSinga Unikorn R1 / 2x Unikorn 2.2 / Quantrik QXP /  JER80 / TMO50 / 2x 86u / ION i69 / LZ MP / 2x FMJ80 / TGR Jane V2 CE / Matrix Project F / IDB60 / is0  / MXSS / Atom TKL / Duck Viper v3 / HBCP / Noxary 280 / LZ Physix / FLX Virgo / Modern M0110 / Matrix 2.0 ADD / TGR Police / Noxary XRF / Noxary Vulcan Pro / 350 Mimi / Matrix 2.0CP / Kira80 / Exent 65% / FMJ60 / Haus 65 / Kikuichimonji / Cake 60 / 2x AU Unikorn  Commission/ LZ XE / Paraluman 60 / AI03 Andromeda / Dalco 959 Mini GT / LZ Erghost /  Finder Works Hyphen / 2x Singa Kohaku / Linworks EM8 / GAFxTGR 910 / TGRxKLC Dolice / TGR 910v2 ME / Noxary Valhalla / Hiney Ibis / LZ REs / PerryWorks MC65 / Hiney Poly TKL One / RS60 / Zekk RBB / QK80 / Keycult No 2 TKL / FLX Virgo r2 / Matrix Navi

Coming --   Lynx50 (wixx scammed us) / Ladybird60 / JJW Derivative / TGR Shi

100+ GMK sets

Offline Butterbeer

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 15:28:27 »
Unintended, but welcome consequence is that this could easily become gmk tangerine or gmk carrot.

The render actually reminds me of tangerines. Coupled with the c3 Tangerine switches and I immediately forgot about te Orange juice.

Offline foysauce_

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 17:22:27 »
I totally agree that there haven't been any true pure orange sets, and I love this so much. There have been a lot of more muted sets lately (all the dolch sets, minimall, classic colors, etc.), and I really like the striking appearance going on here. Instant buy from me, and will be nice to pair with my tangies. Good work!

Offline gunnars

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 12:48:20 »
This would be dope with icon mods.

Offline foysauce_

« Reply #26 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 18:58:47 »
Plleeaaassee let this set run. Pleaaasssee.

Offline Crazy Designers

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 21:23:25 »
ohhh this switch is so hyped :eek:
Future Art Community.

Offline Minam

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 23:27:11 »
Really interested.. looks great.

Offline WorldExclusive

« Reply #29 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 01:45:59 »
Cream legends would look really nice

I agree. If these are added (cream legends/alphas with orange lettering), it will rocket to the top of my list.
I would also like to see more green mods and novelties.
« Last Edit: Tue, 14 July 2020, 01:48:19 by WorldExclusive »
Leopold TKL White w/ Red Switches and Red on Black DS Caps

Offline BaliBae

« Reply #30 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 11:58:46 »
1st post for the OJ! pleaseee take ma muneyyy 🍊

Offline pan

• Massdrop
« Reply #31 on: Tue, 14 July 2020, 21:20:18 »
Wow, a sudden surge in the interest for this IC that I was on the verge of abandoning.

I will do some work for some novelties since there's some more interest and take all your other comments into consideration.

Sorry for being MIA. I've been working on manufacturing my own keyboard design.

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

Waiting on:
G60 NCR

Offline solomonshv

« Reply #32 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 03:27:40 »
Wow, a sudden surge in the interest for this IC that I was on the verge of abandoning.

I will do some work for some novelties since there's some more interest and take all your other comments into consideration.

the surge might have something to so with the drama over GMK mac and cheese (aka GMK peaches n cream). i didn't know that i wanted an orange colored set until i saw PnC. however, i do not want PnC itself. i was going to drop 3 bills on it on r/mm until i saw it in person. definitely a hard pass.

submitted an IC form and I hope it goes somewhere.
Keebs::: Bok.CP - Antique Copper | Keycult No.2/65 Black/Brass | Keycult No.2 Rev 1 Grey/Brass | Jane V2 CE - Black/Multicolor | J-01 Rev1 - Blue | Haus - Silver | Kohaku - Red | OwLab Jelly Epoch - Ruby SE & Popcorn | KBD8X MKII WKL - Black PC | Ayleen WKL - Gin
Caps::: GMK Modo, GMK Jamon, GMK Olive, GMK Mizu, GMK Olivia++, GMK Bingsu, GMK Analog Dreams, GMK Botanical, GMK Moondust, GMK Taro R2, GMK Hennessey, GMK Serika R2, GMK Birch, GMK Tuzi, GMK Red Alert, GMK Zooted, GMK Hazakura, GMK Cyrillic Beige, GMK Lavender, GMK Daifuku, GMK November Fog, GMK Villanelle, GMK Blossom, DCS 9009 WYSE Alps

On order: GMK Tiramisu, GMK Maroon, GMK Bordeaux, GMK Taiga

Offline pan

• Massdrop
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 03:37:23 »

the surge might have something to so with the drama over GMK mac and cheese (aka GMK peaches n cream). i didn't know that i wanted an orange colored set until i saw PnC. however, i do not want PnC itself. i was going to drop 3 bills on it on r/mm until i saw it in person. definitely a hard pass.

submitted an IC form and I hope it goes somewhere.
Yes, I own PnC myself and noticed it was quite darker than the renders but I didn't know there was so much drama around the set.

Hopefully I can have some new renders with RAL colours up this week, I will see how I go!

Waiting on:
G60 NCR

Offline solomonshv

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 03:39:02 »
I didn't know there was so much drama around the set.

check the GB thread. it got pretty personal in there. also, for a set that had less than 500 units produced, there are a lot on r/mm being re sold.
Keebs::: Bok.CP - Antique Copper | Keycult No.2/65 Black/Brass | Keycult No.2 Rev 1 Grey/Brass | Jane V2 CE - Black/Multicolor | J-01 Rev1 - Blue | Haus - Silver | Kohaku - Red | OwLab Jelly Epoch - Ruby SE & Popcorn | KBD8X MKII WKL - Black PC | Ayleen WKL - Gin
Caps::: GMK Modo, GMK Jamon, GMK Olive, GMK Mizu, GMK Olivia++, GMK Bingsu, GMK Analog Dreams, GMK Botanical, GMK Moondust, GMK Taro R2, GMK Hennessey, GMK Serika R2, GMK Birch, GMK Tuzi, GMK Red Alert, GMK Zooted, GMK Hazakura, GMK Cyrillic Beige, GMK Lavender, GMK Daifuku, GMK November Fog, GMK Villanelle, GMK Blossom, DCS 9009 WYSE Alps

On order: GMK Tiramisu, GMK Maroon, GMK Bordeaux, GMK Taiga

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 15:06:47 »
Hot take:
You can probably save some money if you cut the light green for the text. Honestly I’d still buy without any green at all but I do like the accent. 4 custom colors gets expensive at 250 MOQ.

Offline pan

• Massdrop
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 19:11:16 »
Hot take:
You can probably save some money if you cut the light green for the text. Honestly I’d still buy without any green at all but I do like the accent. 4 custom colors gets expensive at 250 MOQ.
I considered this whilst working on it yesterday and I'm looking at using the GMK stock V2 orange colour as it isn't too far off from the custom colour I chose previously. If I can use this colour, I'd imagine cost will decrease.

I'm also having a look at a cream colour for legends from prior feedback and trying to see if there's a stock colour that is nicely compatible but so far I've got RAL 9001 Cream for the legends.

Waiting on:
G60 NCR

Offline haydoselefantes

« Reply #37 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 19:37:23 »
I'm looking at using the GMK stock V2 orange colour as it isn't too far off from the custom colour I chose previously. If I can use this colour, I'd imagine cost will decrease.

GMK Skiidata used V2.  It appears to be just slightly lighter than the GMK Carbon Beezare alphas.  (I have both sitting here shrinkwrapped.)

I’d be happy to pay more for a custom color that was lighter/brighter than V2, but I would probably end up buying this set regardless.  I’d also prefer orange/orange to cream on orange.

Offline Reimu_64

• KeebWorks
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 19:55:59 »
100% Orange Juice? Heck yeah!

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 20:36:23 »
I guess i liked the legend color being...also orange, kind of like the lighter color of the rind

I have skidata and alt mods and beezare but am game anyways. I like orange.

Offline pan

• Massdrop
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 19 July 2020, 21:16:17 »
I guess i liked the legend color being...also orange, kind of like the lighter color of the rind

I have skidata and alt mods and beezare but am game anyways. I like orange.
That's the colour I'm trying to find for the legend, to represent the rind; I think if I can find one that's inbetween a cream and an orange I'll be able to please both sides of the suggested changes. Some people want cream and some like the orange.

Also working on novelties as we speak and I'll have new renders uploaded in a few hours!

Waiting on:
G60 NCR

Offline blutoin

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 20 July 2020, 09:04:29 »
I like this color very much, but it may seem a bit simple. It would be a good idea to make an orange novelties in the "O" or "0" position.

Offline foysauce_

« Reply #42 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 11:28:04 »
Is this still happening? I would really like to see this on my desk one day :)

Offline Cubic // esc lab

• Formerly 'esclab'
    • esc lab
« Reply #43 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 21:15:32 »
Why is this so beautiful

Offline Blastoise

« Reply #44 on: Wed, 30 September 2020, 21:19:59 »
I need this now.