Author Topic: [IC] Keramix Ceramic Wristpad and tray - Made in Italy - UPDATE 22/12/2020  (Read 11947 times)

Offline Kerasan

Hi everyone,
I’m Kerasan, a craftman by passion, I have a lab of artistic ceramics, it was founded by my grandmother in 1946, she is 94 and still makes sculptures. {an anecdote about the name: Kéra from kéramos (ceramic) and mix (by research to integrate ceramics with different materials)}.
since I approached world of mechanical keyboards in 2015-2016 I have always wanted to unify these two passions, therefore, I'm here to present - First Project.

an artistic manual production. In this case, the variations between the products are representing the uniqueness and beauty of this products, especially with some coatings or with some processing techniques - for example "pit firing", "Copper Matt" or "Metal Glaze" to get a better idea. The art of ceramics involves working the clay directly with your hands or with casting using slip casting techniques: in both cases, modeling, sanding, decoration, painting and all existing coatings are done manually. This is our philosophy, taking nothing away from industrial production.

:blank: :blank: :blank: IC FORM :blank: :blank: :blank:

PRESENTATION

We have a small family business near Rome and we work on commission for other small businesses and people who know us.

Our products are completely handcrafted and made in Italy (as this is our core business): we create our ceramics from Florentine and Roman compounds added with alumina and other materials to make the final product as resistant as possible regadless of the techniques we used during the making process.

Other types of materials we use for our creations are porcelain, copper, brass and we engrave on wood and glass.

Why Ceramic?

the manufacturers usually work with 600 atmospheres pressing machines, they directly use powders (not clays) and create geometrically perfect objects such as tiles or plates, but the raw materials are not excellent and the coatings rather limited compared to
REALIZATION

Let's deal with the topic: the ceramic wrist pad. We'll initially offer a single buying group divided into two lots; currently we cannot deal with larger productions, therefore both lots will be rather limited due to the time needed to produce a single piece ( every piece undergoes different phases: modeling, drying, smoothing, first firing at about 1000 degrees, decorations / engravings / paints, second firing for glazing or crystallization or other special techniques requested from the customer). All this requires a lot of attention in order to limit problems, especially the firings: often to produce 5 pieces it is necessary to do twice as many pieces because there are several drawbacks such as breaking close to 573 degrees and close to 980 degrees (the most delicate ranges); this, unfortunately, increases production costs, especially on unique or highly decorated pieces that require several hours of work.

PAY ATTENTION: Ceramic is a living material, during drying and firing into the klin it undergoes a completely arbitrary volume shrinkage that oscillates between 8~12%. This makes it impossible to produce identical objects in both shape and size... Each piece is unique!

FIRST SAMPLE
*These are samples, they are not for sale but only for demonstration*

WRISTPAD FINAL SAMPLE
*These are final samples, only 4 artwork will be selected for GB. choose carefully in IC FORM*

Rama m60 Sage + Fuji pad (only 1 fuji sample will be choise for GB, go to the IC form and you make your choises)

CA66 dark red + fuji 2 pad (only 1 fuji sample will be choise for GB, go to the IC form and you make your choises)

TRAY FINAL SAMPLE

GB (sumi themed wristpads will only be available in this group buy)
Round 1:
GB (sumi themed wristpads and tray will only be available in this group buy)

Wristpad Specs Standard edition (total white or sand):

-   20 units: 10 TKL, 10 60/65%

-   Materials: Ceramic/ terracotta

-   Coating: Crystallization Clear Coating (Waterproof, Oleophobic, Anti-Scratch)

-   Bottom raw with logo engrave: TBA

-   Price: Small: 75 eur/ Large: 80 eur + shipping worldwide and paypal fees

Specs Crackle edition: 120 100 eur + shipping worldwideand paypal fees

Specs Limited edition Sumi theme:

-   Units:  40 (10 for artwork, choose your favorites HERE! ONLY 4 WILL BE SELECTED )

-   Materials: Ceramic-   Hand painting-   Coating: Crystallization Clear Coating

-   Price: 150 eur= 120 eur +  shipping worldwide and paypal fees (we kept the declared price initially, but the artworks are much more complex and take longer, in the future the price of full prints will be 150)

-   numbered

Round 1:

Tray specs Standard Edition (total white):

- unlimited

-  Materials: Ceramic

-  Coating: Crystallization Clear Coating (Waterproof, Oleophobic, Anti-Scratch)

-  Price: 30 eur + shipping

Specs Crackle edition:

- unlimited

- Price: 35 eur + shipping

Specs Limited edition Sumi theme:

- Units: max 100

- Materials: Ceramic-   Hand painting-   Coating: Crystallization Clear Coating

- Price: 40 eur + shipping worldwide

- Specs Glaze edition:

- unlimited

- Papavero (Gloss Red): 40 eur + shipping worldwide

- Pece (Gloss Black): 40 eur + shipping world wide

N.B. painting on ceramic is performed with oxidizing pigments or drawing glazes, it is very complex and has limits compared to the classic painting on drawing canvas, there are people specialized in this task, as in this case, among the drawings there will always be slight variations. Each piece is unique!

TO DO LIST
-   Website (this is the first time that we go online, for this reason we dont have a website yet)
-   Logo (work in progress)
-   Improve photo (we currently havent photography equipment, same reason as the website)
-   More details and pics
-   Experiment with special glaze for amazing effect
-   Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/keramix.labs/ (here we’ll make all our annuncements)

SPECIAL THANKS

-   Click Clack Club italian community mechanical keyboard for the support
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 February 2021, 12:16:44 by Kerasan »

Offline thecyangiant

Great idea! I'm very interested in seeing the crackle run, will be following this hoping to find the right one for me

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk

Offline valniro

Re: [IC] Keramix Ceramic Wristpad - handcrafted - Made in Italy "First- Project"
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 26 September 2020, 09:34:10 »
OMG those are freaking awesome!!!!! I'm totally in!

IBM Model M

CM Novatouch
BKE REDUX
Heavy

CM Novatouch

Realforce R2
PFU Limited

GH60 ANSI

Offline szaghi

Re: [IC] Keramix Ceramic Wristpad - handcrafted - Made in Italy "First- Project"
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 26 September 2020, 10:01:49 »
Wonderful work, really amazing.

Offline fabryrock

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 26 September 2020, 10:14:49 »
naisuuu

Offline raz

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 26 September 2020, 10:27:34 »
This is epic. 10/10 in.

Offline iSamurai

Ne norde avail?

Inviato dal mio H8314 utilizzando Tapatalk

Offline giacombum

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 26 September 2020, 11:35:03 »
Very nice!!!

Offline GKeebs

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 26 September 2020, 12:30:00 »
Wonderful project!
Glad to see authentic italian quality craftsmanship.
Each piece is a work of art, really unique.
Kudos to you and to the granma  :cool:

These are fantastic!

Only thing I would suggest is that there's already too much Japanese themed stuff going around. If they're made in Italy, why not go for something Roman themed as well?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Offline Kerasan

These are fantastic!

Only thing I would suggest is that there's already too much Japanese themed stuff going around. If they're made in Italy, why not go for something Roman themed as well?

you are absolutely right  :thumb:, we have something in mind about it. however it is a tribute, in the world of ceramics there is a great integration between Italian and Japanese art such as some raku techniques. Thanks for the feedback. And thanks to everyone who has written so far

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 26 September 2020, 15:51:38 »
I really appreciate the craftsmanship behind the wrist wrest and respect your dedication that you want to combine it with the mechanical Keyboard hobby.

But when it's about ripping off Designs from my recent Groupbuy I'm not with you. There was no chat between us, no request for permission to use the Designs for your work, nothing.
This isn't the way this should be going, I mean this is clearly not only "inspired" by Sumi.

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #12 on: Sat, 26 September 2020, 16:16:11 »
I really appreciate the craftsmanship behind the wrist wrest and respect your dedication that you want to combine it with the mechanical Keyboard hobby.

But when it's about ripping off Designs from my recent Groupbuy I'm not with you. There was no chat between us, no request for permission to use the Designs for your work, nothing.
This isn't the way this should be going, I mean this is clearly not only "inspired" by Sumi.

you are perfectly right mate, as I wrote these samples are demonstrative only, we don't want to steal anyone's work. I showed these because they are the first I made for me. There are 4 main sumi themes, I am working on the artwork. but you can rest assured, I will not sell if this can cause problems.

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 26 September 2020, 17:12:31 »

you are perfectly right mate, as I wrote these samples are demonstrative only, we don't want to steal anyone's work. I showed these because they are the first I made for me. There are 4 main sumi themes, I am working on the artwork. but you can rest assured, I will not sell if this can cause problems.

What did you plan for the artwork? I'm just curious because you already listed 4 themes of the wrist wrest in the sumi scheme with further details. Creating an IC with 4 seemingly finished products with their individual pricing/name seems like you did already finish your "designing" process. Otherwise this IC could cause a lot of confusion for the potential buyer.

Generally I'm open for new Ideas, collaborations and so on, but I prefer to know that my work is used somewhere else in a commercial way.

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 26 September 2020, 18:55:01 »

What did you plan for the artwork? I'm just curious because you already listed 4 themes of the wrist wrest in the sumi scheme with further details. Creating an IC with 4 seemingly finished products with their individual pricing/name seems like you did already finish your "designing" process. Otherwise this IC could cause a lot of confusion for the potential buyer.

Generally I'm open for new Ideas, collaborations and so on, but I prefer to know that my work is used somewhere else in a commercial way.

i think you may have misunderstand my way of doing things. As you surely know, some elements (like the sun, the carp and the cherry blossoms) are recurrent in the sumi-e style.
such as this photo taken from the web:

if there is something that bothers you, I can change it, this is an interest check I just want to take feedback, I don't want to confuse anyone, I can also change the theme, but honestly I would be very sorry

Offline YangYoga

« Reply #15 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 01:53:03 »
Super in

Offline valniro

« Reply #16 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 02:00:10 »

While I do understand your point, I think there's no need to get so sour. I believe it is common interest to work together so that everyone is happy, customers are satisfied, and there's friendship between creators.
As it has already been stated that there is no intent of stealing anyone's work, there's no reason to get so apprehensive about the property of a given theme (which in my personal point of view can be claimed only to a certain extent).
I hope this discussion can evolve towards a positive approach.

IBM Model M

CM Novatouch
BKE REDUX
Heavy

CM Novatouch

Realforce R2
PFU Limited

GH60 ANSI

Offline IvernTheTree

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 03:19:31 »
The design is beautiful. I wonder if you could also add another option of the mountains?Like this.

Offline FaKe_VirTual

• * Maker
    • Virtual Designworks
« Reply #18 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 04:07:28 »

i think you may have misunderstand my way of doing things. As you surely know, some elements (like the sun, the carp and the cherry blossoms) are recurrent in the sumi-e style.

Show Image

if there is something that bothers you, I can change it, this is an interest check I just want to take feedback, I don't want to confuse anyone, I can also change the theme, but honestly I would be very sorry

Yes, you are completly right, artworks like the one you showed did also inspire me for my deskmat designs. It's not my intention to claim the copyrights of the whole sumi-e artstyle, I was just wondering because the specific designs you've choosen do get close to my deskmats.

As mentioned in another comment, it's also my goal that this conversation evolvs to a positive. I won't stop you from selling the designs neither do I want this cool project to be interuppted by me. My only advice for the future would be that you start the conversation with the Designers of a certain Keyset/Theme (because this is obviously inspired by the Keyset) before publishing it. It's just a well-intended advice and I think that it will save you from trouble.

Regardless do I wish you all the best for the future and also for this IC. I'm going to follow it closely because I think that the concept behind this is really unique.

Offline bobdenard

Yup. The wrist rests look good and seem well made, but the least you could do was to inform the runners of the Sumi gb. At first I thought it was an official tie-in. I know they don’t own sumi artstyle but the designs themselves look awfully similar...

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #20 on: Sun, 27 September 2020, 05:48:19 »

Show Image

Yes, you are completly right, artworks like the one you showed did also inspire me for my deskmat designs. It's not my intention to claim the copyrights of the whole sumi-e artstyle, I was just wondering because the specific designs you've choosen do get close to my deskmats.

As mentioned in another comment, it's also my goal that this conversation evolvs to a positive. I won't stop you from selling the designs neither do I want this cool project to be interuppted by me. My only advice for the future would be that you start the conversation with the Designers of a certain Keyset/Theme (because this is obviously inspired by the Keyset) before publishing it. It's just a well-intended advice and I think that it will save you from trouble.

Regardless do I wish you all the best for the future and also for this IC. I'm going to follow it closely because I think that the concept behind this is really unique.

I totally agree with you, my enthusiasm for the project did not allow me to remain as lucid as I should have. For me this discussion was constructive, I will treasure the things you said to me. And thank you so much for the encouragement. I will think about how to act, before starting any buying group. That's right!
« Last Edit: Sun, 27 September 2020, 06:36:16 by Kerasan »

Offline Techichi

These are fantastic!

Yes indeed.

Offline SMOKEY

These are fantastic!

Yes indeed.

Someone finally make a SPARTAN wrist rest already saing "TONIGHT WE TYPE IN HELL"...

Offline raz

« Reply #23 on: Mon, 28 September 2020, 06:38:23 »
apart from all the flame on the post (I think it's clearly stated here on the op that he's NOT selling those artworks - even though i love the bamboo one - but making something sumi-e related) - I would love to see have a collaboration with you.

I can provide artworks (but i'd love to discuss about it with you) and do some 3d previsualization. The set is the one on my signature, feel free to contact me on PM or Discord, you have my contacts!

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #24 on: Tue, 22 December 2020, 03:20:25 »
UPDATE 22-12-2020

NEW :blank: :blank: :blank: IC FORM :blank: :blank: :blank:

FINAL ARTWORK:

Rama m60 Sage + Fuji pad (only 1 fuji sample will be choise for GB, go to the IC form and you make your choises)

CA66 dark red + fuji 2 pad (only 1 fuji sample will be choise for GB, go to the IC form and you make your choises)

Tray (this is a ceramic tray, there is the possibility to add it to the gb with sumi decorations for a perfect match with the wristpads, are you interested?) PRICE: TBA

« Last Edit: Tue, 22 December 2020, 03:50:02 by Kerasan »

Offline lucar

• BIT SPLITS
This is simply AWSOME! At least something new for the keebers community!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline GKeebs

Real craftsmanship here!
Congrats, keep it up  ;)

Offline Kerasan

Thank you guys, i cant wait to post my firts official collaboration.

Offline Havattack

Absolutely stunning, the wrest might cause me to buy a couple keycap sets just to match one these wrests. And I have never regretted not picking up "Sumi" more then now..

Any thought to coming out with some blue and white ones? To match the "delftware" and "Lazurite" sets that are in the works?

Offline Kerasan

Absolutely stunning, the wrest might cause me to buy a couple keycap sets just to match one these wrests. And I have never regretted not picking up "Sumi" more then now..

Any thought to coming out with some blue and white ones? To match the "delftware" and "Lazurite" sets that are in the works?

yes we have in mind several works in shades of blue, blue is difficult to give because the pigment is pink before cooking (so it is difficult to know if it has been given good or bad, you will find out only at the end of the second cooking when you open the klin)

at the moment the themes listed after sumi regarding the designs are:

Italy
coffee
animals

Glaze:

black
red
green
cracklè glaze

special glaze:

metal cosmo
bellissimo rosso (shiny red)
and another of our creations (multicolor)

Offline Ryukote

Re: [IC] Keramix Ceramic Wristpad and tray - Made in Italy - UPDATE 22/12/2020
« Reply #30 on: Sun, 03 January 2021, 15:24:41 »
Is some ETA known for GB?

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 04 January 2021, 01:59:01 »

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #32 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 12:17:47 »
UPDATE TRAY and IC FORM

Album Tray sumi theme: https://imgur.com/a/c20Xeox

Offline azzipa

« Reply #33 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 15:23:32 »
which design/color/technique is the brown colored bamboo? that really catches my eye!

also, i mean no disrespect to any maker when i point out that similar designs have existed for literally thousands of years, and koi and sakura (cherry branch) are as iconic as mt fuji

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #34 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 15:29:51 »
which design/color/technique is the brown colored bamboo? that really catches my eye!

also, i mean no disrespect to any maker when i point out that similar designs have existed for literally thousands of years, and koi and sakura (cherry branch) are as iconic as mt fuji

Show Image

subcrystalline color, they are mineral pigments suitable for painting on ceramic which are then covered with crystalline and baked into kiln above 900 C

Offline azzipa

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 15:43:46 »
Thanks for your quick response. Will that be offered in the GB? (Gotta admit, I had trouble following all of the different offerings and prices.)

Offline Senbeii

• Swiggity Swag Whats In Da Bag
    • Keyoto
« Reply #36 on: Thu, 04 February 2021, 16:01:55 »
This would go surprisingly well with sumi......... BET IM IN  :thumb:

Offline Kerasan

« Reply #37 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 00:36:40 »
Thanks for your quick response. Will that be offered in the GB? (Gotta admit, I had trouble following all of the different offerings and prices.)

Spoiler: Yes  ;D

there are several artworks, but we cannot do them all so I created the survey in the IC to determine the winners

Offline prototype26

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 05 February 2021, 02:44:41 »

Show Image

That sumi gb runner is so overly confident he thinks any Japanese-looking mountain MK related art crafts must have taken inspiration from his keyset. Get off your high horse.