Author Topic: [IC] MT3 Monomanukai - UPDATE 2020-02-04  (Read 5808 times)

Offline manu.jarvinen

• 3D modeler, illustrator and animator
    • gearnoodle.com
[IC] MT3 Monomanukai - UPDATE 2020-02-04
« on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 22:58:59 »
UPDATE 2021-02-04:

- Went back with the original color scheme, and decided to ditch the other color options, sad to see them go, but maybe it's best to keep this simple. This design was anyway the poll winner.
- Working on the updated base kit at the moment, will update it here once done
- Also, modelled the MT3 profile keyboard from scratch, now it should be more accurate

261446-0

261450-1

261452-2

UPDATE 2021-02-03:

- Condenced my color choices to one board and four color themes. And made the base kit.

At this point I think it makes sense to approach Drop before any more work is done.

261370-3

261372-4

261374-5

ORIGINAL POST:

IC FORM: https://forms.gle/wUC8Pzu6KKseDkrT6

Hi, first-time designer here :) I felt these kind of keycaps were missing so I created them.

Please mark in the IC-survey above what of these you like best, it would help a lot.

I'll update this post once I figure out how all this works.

Thank you!
Manu

« Last Edit: Thu, 04 February 2021, 14:14:05 by manu.jarvinen »

Offline dandruff

Re: [IC] MT3 Monomanukai
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 23:01:54 »
Damn man... you just hit us with a 13 keycap set form... that's more than KAT combinations of alphas and mods nowadays.

Nothing exactly bad, but It's going to become the "community's" set instead of yours if you don't pick for yourself and flush it out.

Offline Boy_314

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 23:07:23 »
interesting looking mt3 keycaps u got there

Offline manu.jarvinen

• gearnoodle.com
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 23:08:45 »
Nothing exactly bad, but It's going to become the "community's" set instead of yours if you don't pick for yourself and flush it out.

Thank you for the message :)
Hmm, I thought in this stage (when I'm just probing what the final sets could be) it would be okay to have more alternatives in order to see what resonates the most.
What do you mean it's going to become the "community's" set? Hmm, I don't get it.

Anyway, good to have some messages going on, this is going somewhere, slowly

Offline psxndc

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 23:22:11 »
Bruh, the renders aren’t even in MT3 profile. C’mon.
Ortho. Always.

Offline dandruff

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 23:27:11 »

Thank you for the message :)
Hmm, I thought in this stage (when I'm just probing what the final sets could be) it would be okay to have more alternatives in order to see what resonates the most.
What do you mean it's going to become the "community's" set? Hmm, I don't get it.

Anyway, good to have some messages going on, this is going somewhere, slowly

I think the designs are fine. I like some more than others, but I was hinting at the idea that you should have 1 set that you like and get that to perfection. If the set looks good and you like it, it'll sell itself. Having 13 designs is basically hinting at the idea that you can't pick and want the community to pick what they would buy. Realistically, I think the question is fine, it's just the precedent that other posts have set. That being said, I think asking this question and getting feedback from a private group or keycap designer discord is the best move. Again, I'm a nobody, so you don't have to take my word. Personally, I just think that success usually comes better when you look fully prepared.

Also, since you're new to this, that discord does have a guide to help guide you from scratch to GB.

Offline manu.jarvinen

• gearnoodle.com
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 23:34:31 »
Yes, true, sorry about that - I was about to update new images to the post once I figure out what sets would be 'the ones'

you should have 1 set that you like and get that to perfection.

That being said, I think asking this question and getting feedback from a private group or keycap designer discord is the best move
Ah, yes. I get it. I didn't realize this section of the forum is for 'almost final' stuff - need to join the Discord... would you know the invitation URL?

Offline psxndc

[IC] MT3 Monomanukai
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 23:36:00 »

That being said, I think asking this question and getting feedback from a private group or keycap designer discord is the best move
Ah, yes. I get it. I didn't realize this section of the forum is for 'almost final' stuff - need to join the Discord... would you know the invitation URL?
Here’s one. Good luck.

https://discord.gg/Juq3eXVa
Ortho. Always.

Offline dandruff

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 02 February 2021, 23:36:48 »
Yes, true, sorry about that - I was about to update new images to the post once I figure out what sets would be 'the ones'

It technically doesn't have to be tbh. Just happens that this forum has a strong preference for that. You seem like you care about the project, so I'm sure you'll do fine from here on out!

I'll PM you the invitation!

JK the guy above me got it

Offline powwu

• Discord
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 11:09:24 »
13 Vileblooms in MT3. These should probably be different ICs, so you can judge which will hit MOQ.

Offline Havattack

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 14:13:31 »
I like some of the colorways, but i feel like the double gradient- gradient from right to left, AND from top to bottom- is just too much for me. It looks WAY too busy.
You should ask who ever created SA 1976 if you can do an MT3 ver of that.... I want one pretty bad..

Offline paperassgasket

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 15:50:25 »
I hate to be the bearer of bad news but this might not be doable in MT3 profile unless you plan on having all the sets made of each individual color and then sorting them out yourself.

Without going too much in depth, Massdrop produces an entire set at a time, not just a single keycap. So kitting other than what you see already on Massdrop's website is not possible. Similarly they don't really have a way to do multiple different colors of alphas per set as far as I know. They do have separate kits they can produce that include WSAD but I believe that's about it.

voodoo6k learned all this the hard way when he designed MT3 SNES. I would ask him how that went and what his roadblocks were before fully committing to this profile.
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=101187.0

Others before me in this thread have pretty much covered the other major points: "this is pre-ic", "this is like 13 different sets", and "you should join the keycap designers discord."

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 15:52:07 »
Just give us brown with cream legends.  Thanks.

Offline manu.jarvinen

• gearnoodle.com
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 16:04:14 »

That can be done with the base kit - although the gradient is still there...

-

is there really shortage of brown single color keycap sets with cream legends..?

Thanks also to other commenters :) Your feedback is valuable.
I still want to see it myself what Drop answers to this.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 16:13:10 »

That can be done with the base kit - although the gradient is still there...

-

is there really shortage of brown single color keycap sets with cream legends..?

Thanks also to other commenters :) Your feedback is valuable.
I still want to see it myself what Drop answers to this.

Just a selfish wish.  Brown Filco SA are the only single color brown out there.  There is JTK HSA Beige on Brown, but it is delayed.  So yeah, quite a shortage.  I'd love somethign very dark brown like the Filco caps in MT3.  Everyone would lose their minds if someone ran a Retro (C64) set in MT3.

Offline psxndc

Re: [IC] MT3 Monomanukai - UPDATED 2020-02-03
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 17:16:37 »
Just a selfish wish.  Brown Filco SA are the only single color brown out there.  There is JTK HSA Beige on Brown, but it is delayed.  So yeah, quite a shortage.  I'd love somethign very dark brown like the Filco caps in MT3. ...

Brown keycaps? Blech. Boring. Why would anyone want...

Everyone would lose their minds if someone ran a Retro (C64) set in MT3.

OMG I WOULD *SO* BUY THAT.
Ortho. Always.

Offline manu.jarvinen

• gearnoodle.com
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 20:33:13 »

Can't you just buy the new retro c64 that's been marketed and use it as a keyboard for a modern computer? Stupid if that's not possible

Offline Havattack

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 03 February 2021, 23:01:07 »

Can't you just buy the new retro c64 that's been marketed and use it as a keyboard for a modern computer? Stupid if that's not possible

They're impossible to get right now, (There's one on ebay for 800$) and I don't know what the keyboard quality is like. I think they were planning on releasing more state-side before the pandemic..
(I really wish i had got that Buger & Hammerworks C64 set that was on Drop a couple months back... but i didn't.. becasue i'm dumb.)
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 February 2021, 23:04:18 by Havattack »