Author Topic: Can these keycaps be repurposed?  (Read 1176 times)

Offline nMaib0

Can these keycaps be repurposed?
« on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 13:20:22 »
I bought this for 3 euros and I really like the keycaps, I was wondering if there are switches for them of if the switches inside can be used, or if they are switches at all, they appear to be part of the plate.

Offline Maledicted

Re: Can these keycaps be repurposed?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 14:00:25 »
It is most likely spring over membrane, meaning that the inner coil spring just compresses over the membrane below until it exerts enough pressure to bridge two contacts in the membrane to actuate.

It is unlikely that the caps will fit anything else. I don't think that type even has an entry in the Deskthority wiki.

Offline nMaib0

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 14:19:22 »
It is most likely spring over membrane, meaning that the inner coil spring just compresses over the membrane below until it exerts enough pressure to bridge two contacts in the membrane to actuate.

It is unlikely that the caps will fit anything else. I don't think that type even has an entry in the Deskthority wiki.

Thanks for the help, it's a shame because they are in perfect condition. I wonder if 3D printing an adaptor for cherry switches might do the trick, though that would cost a lot.

Offline Maledicted

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 26 October 2021, 14:41:48 »

Thanks for the help, it's a shame because they are in perfect condition. I wonder if 3D printing an adaptor for cherry switches might do the trick, though that would cost a lot.

No problem at all. You could probably make an adapter, but the caps would probably sit really high then. If you like how the mechanism feels as-is, you could try to wire a Teensy up to the matrix to use with a modern computer.