Author Topic: Sound from speakers sounds "low quality"  (Read 8484 times)

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
Sound from speakers sounds "low quality"
« on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 00:02:53 »
Recently, anything I play on my speakers through my receiver just sounds like I'm listening to 128kb/s music, everything just sounds fuzzy and awful. I've used different receivers, sound cards, component to aux cables, inputs (computer and record player), and have even changed motherboards since the problem started to occur. Two of my four speakers run through my subwoofer, but since not all the speakers are, it's obviously not a problem with the sub. I really have no idea what it could be at this point.
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Sound from speakers sounds "low quality"
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 08:20:17 »
Recently, anything I play on my speakers through my receiver just sounds like I'm listening to 128kb/s music, everything just sounds fuzzy and awful. I've used different receivers, sound cards, component to aux cables, inputs (computer and record player), and have even changed motherboards since the problem started to occur. Two of my four speakers run through my subwoofer, but since not all the speakers are, it's obviously not a problem with the sub. I really have no idea what it could be at this point.

Check the speaker wires and connections first, since that is the easiest fix. Wires can get frayed or worn where they bend.

Otherwise, probably something like a blown capacitor. How old is the system and /or how much use and abuse has it seen?
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 12:52:57 »

Check the speaker wires and connections first, since that is the easiest fix. Wires can get frayed or worn where they bend.

Otherwise, probably something like a blown capacitor. How old is the system and /or how much use and abuse has it seen?

Speaker wire all looks fine, everything it in right. The problem is it's on every speaker and sounds exactly the same, making me think it's before that. The strange thing is that outside of the speakers, every single part of my setup has changed at some point since the problem has started. The receiver is actually pretty newish and in very good condition. The motherboard is totally new, the sound card that I'm using has barely been touched.

Seems unlikely, but could the subwoofer somehow be affecting the sound coming out of all the speakers, even those that aren't run through it? It's really the only idea I have at this point.
« Last Edit: Sat, 23 December 2017, 12:59:49 by hwood34 »

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 13:15:15 »
I know more about traditional stereo gear than I do about computer sound.

There are certainly parts of crossovers and filters that could fail. In the old days the amplifier made all the power and crossovers blocked given bands that their corresponding speakers didn't like. That was the messy and inefficient way to do it.

If your subwoofer is self-powered, as almost all of them are today, then it should be getting a line level signal of just what it needs to reproduce. If you are sending it speaker level signals, which it has to attenuate and then amplify back up, and especially if you are sending it a full-spectrum signal that it also has to low-pass select, then it could conceivably produce distortion elsewhere.

But if the rig was working properly at one time, but now it isn't, then clearly a piece has failed somewhere.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 23 December 2017, 14:08:31 »
I know more about traditional stereo gear than I do about computer sound.

There are certainly parts of crossovers and filters that could fail. In the old days the amplifier made all the power and crossovers blocked given bands that their corresponding speakers didn't like. That was the messy and inefficient way to do it.

If your subwoofer is self-powered, as almost all of them are today, then it should be getting a line level signal of just what it needs to reproduce. If you are sending it speaker level signals, which it has to attenuate and then amplify back up, and especially if you are sending it a full-spectrum signal that it also has to low-pass select, then it could conceivably produce distortion elsewhere.

But if the rig was working properly at one time, but now it isn't, then clearly a piece has failed somewhere.

Hmm. Alright, thanks

Offline atarione

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 12:58:59 »
so since you say u have swapped out a bunch of equipment? .. a couple ideas / things to check..

for the most part if it is music you are listening to you'll want to do that in stereo rather than surround modes..

If you haven't tried different speakers .. how old are the speakers?  have  you checked the surrounds (the black(generally) rubber / felt..material on the outside edge of the cones for wear/ holes/ deterioration?    Also if the speakers are old the crossovers could also need work perhaps...

have you tried playing the music say with your smart phone and this receiver setup?  how does it sound vs the pc as the source?

check windows sound control panel settings::  Sound> device > configure (if not greyed out) select stereo (at least to test..if you want to go back to surround then change it later) test > next  > check full-range speakers front left and right.  confirm and go back to control panel and select audio device> properties  (disable enhancements) / advanced tap select desired default bit depth.. try 24/ 48000 (especially if it is set to a 16/ xxxxxx currently)  / turn spatial sound off if it is on.

oh right select supported formats check those that apply (test if unsure)..

then try again... what are the source files / player software??

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 15:57:46 »
so since you say u have swapped out a bunch of equipment? .. a couple ideas / things to check..

for the most part if it is music you are listening to you'll want to do that in stereo rather than surround modes..
Ah yeah, I see that that's what I was using on my old receiver (switched back, hate the one I just picked up for multipurpose stuff).

If you haven't tried different speakers .. how old are the speakers?  have  you checked the surrounds (the black(generally) rubber / felt..material on the outside edge of the cones for wear/ holes/ deterioration?    Also if the speakers are old the crossovers could also need work perhaps...
So I have 3 different sets of receivers. My two fronts are Infinity RS 125s (not super old, ealry 90s I think?), the side/surrounds are Missions, again not that old. I also have a pair of Onkyos that came with the receiver that I have tried and still gotten the same sound. Would there be some sort of problem where a single bad speaker could ruin the whole thing?

have you tried playing the music say with your smart phone and this receiver setup?  how does it sound vs the pc as the source?
Tried with phone, sounds the same

check windows sound control panel settings::  Sound> device > configure (if not greyed out) select stereo (at least to test..if you want to go back to surround then change it later) test > next  > check full-range speakers front left and right.  confirm and go back to control panel and select audio device> properties  (disable enhancements) / advanced tap select desired default bit depth.. try 24/ 48000 (especially if it is set to a 16/ xxxxxx currently)  / turn spatial sound off if it is on.
Yep, had all that except surround instead of stereo, changed that.

oh right select supported formats check those that apply (test if unsure)..
don't see that

then try again... what are the source files / player software??
Spotify, youtube, foobar all sound bad. Spotify with their extreme quality downloads and foobars with FLACs

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #8 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 19:06:36 »
WHAT OPERATING SYSTEM ARE YOU USING?
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline atarione

« Reply #9 on: Sun, 24 December 2017, 19:26:15 »
ok weird... the supported formats tab isn't always present if it isn't don't worry about that btw.

if you turn the stereo on with nothing playing are do you hear a fair bit of hiss /static (ground loop)?? turn on stereo with nothing playing and turn volume up a bit say 10'oclock is there background hiss / noise??

have you listen to other stereos that sound better to you lately???   (maybe get hearing tested?)

I think if it was me... I'd try disconnecting most of the speakers and try the infinity's and mission's separately (stereo ... no sub)  and see how that sounds..

one bad speaker/ broken~ish speaker could make everything sound off..but u could probably trace it down just listen to them close up on at a time...

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 30 December 2017, 12:16:31 »
WHAT OPERATING SYSTEM ARE YOU USING?

win98 obvi

ok weird... the supported formats tab isn't always present if it isn't don't worry about that btw.

if you turn the stereo on with nothing playing are do you hear a fair bit of hiss /static (ground loop)?? turn on stereo with nothing playing and turn volume up a bit say 10'oclock is there background hiss / noise??
If I crank it pretty high, yeah I get some background static-y/fuzzy noise.

have you listen to other stereos that sound better to you lately???   (maybe get hearing tested?)
Trust me, I take good care of my hearing lol. Interesting idea though

I think if it was me... I'd try disconnecting most of the speakers and try the infinity's and mission's separately (stereo ... no sub)  and see how that sounds..

one bad speaker/ broken~ish speaker could make everything sound off..but u could probably trace it down just listen to them close up on at a time...
Yeah, I guess I'll just try them all one by one.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 16:23:31 »
So still having this problem, might head to a stereo place or something I guess. But one last shot here? Just to reiterate, everything just sounds like low bitrate sound (i.e. awful). I have changed literally every single component of the setup at some point (motherboard, sound card, receiver, speakers, speaker wire, routed speakers through subwoofer/routed directly to receiver, used different component to aux cables, played from PC and turntable in different inputs to the receiver). I've changed some settings on the computer itself, but any other suggestions on that front might be the most fruitfull. At this point, I have literally no idea what it could be

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 16:30:25 »
So still having this problem, might head to a stereo place or something I guess. But one last shot here? Just to reiterate, everything just sounds like low bitrate sound (i.e. awful). I have changed literally every single component of the setup at some point (motherboard, sound card, receiver, speakers, speaker wire, routed speakers through subwoofer/routed directly to receiver, used different component to aux cables, played from PC and turntable in different inputs to the receiver). I've changed some settings on the computer itself, but any other suggestions on that front might be the most fruitfull. At this point, I have literally no idea what it could be

Could be dirty power, have you tried different power outlets/surge protector?

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 16:31:25 »

if you plug headphones into the pc and it sounds fine, it should be the pc.

if it's the digital out of the pc, then plug that directly into your tv and tell it to use hdmi sound.

I doubt it's the pc.

prob receiver broken.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 16:47:57 »

Could be dirty power, have you tried different power outlets/surge protector?

Just tried moving everything but the PC to a different power bar and nothin. I wouldn't have to move the PC, would I?

if you plug headphones into the pc and it sounds fine, it should be the pc.

if it's the digital out of the pc, then plug that directly into your tv and tell it to use hdmi sound.

I doubt it's the pc.

prob receiver broken.

Well my headphones run through a DAC so I probably wouldn't be able to tell anyway. But if it's a broken receiver than I guess I just got two broken receivers that sound the same?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 18:54:26 »
Can you isolate the receiver, and connect only 2 speakers to it and plug it into the wall - nothing else?

Tune it to the radio and see if that still sounds bad. If so, connect it to a turntable and play a record only to verify that the radio tuner section itself is not bad.

Last, repeat both steps above using headphones but not speakers to verify whether the speaker outputs and/or the preamp section are good or bad.

If you isolate each component one at a time and verify which is good (including speakers and headphones) then you will have something to work with.

If any of those stand-alone audio permutations produces a clean sound, then you have a base line and can zero in on a problem area.

If the audio components successfully produce a good sound on their own, then you know that your problem is in the computer.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 19:39:09 »
Can you isolate the receiver, and connect only 2 speakers to it and plug it into the wall - nothing else?

Tune it to the radio and see if that still sounds bad. If so, connect it to a turntable and play a record only to verify that the radio tuner section itself is not bad.

Last, repeat both steps above using headphones but not speakers to verify whether the speaker outputs and/or the preamp section are good or bad.

If you isolate each component one at a time and verify which is good (including speakers and headphones) then you will have something to work with.

If any of those stand-alone audio permutations produces a clean sound, then you have a base line and can zero in on a problem area.

If the audio components successfully produce a good sound on their own, then you know that your problem is in the computer.

So I can't get the tuner to work, probably that I'm missing an antenna that it looks like there's a spot for in the back. But having just the turntable connected, two speakers direct into the receiver, and the receiver directly into the wall still yields bad sound.

But, headphones plugged into the receiver sounds fine. Is it possible that the component connections in the back are all corroded on both receivers?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 20:14:27 »

So I can't get the tuner to work, probably that I'm missing an antenna that it looks like there's a spot for in the back.

But, headphones plugged into the receiver sounds fine. Is it possible that the component connections in the back are all corroded on both receivers?

Just connecting a couple of feet of wire to the common/ground and 75/300 ohm screws should be enough to find some shard of a radio signal.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-make-a-simple-antenna-to-improve-the-reception-of-an-fm-radio-receiver

But if the headphones are OK then that means that the preamp/controls sub-system is good while the bad speakers indicate that the main/power amp is bad.

PS - unless it indicates that the speakers themselves are bad
« Last Edit: Wed, 16 May 2018, 20:18:43 by fohat.digs »

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #18 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 20:35:48 »

So I can't get the tuner to work, probably that I'm missing an antenna that it looks like there's a spot for in the back.

Just connecting a couple of feet of wire to the common/ground and 75/300 ohm screws should be enough to find some shard of a radio signal.

https://www.techwalla.com/articles/how-to-make-a-simple-antenna-to-improve-the-reception-of-an-fm-radio-receiver

But if the headphones are OK then that means that the preamp/controls sub-system is good while the bad speakers indicate that the main/power amp is bad.

PS - unless it indicates that the speakers themselves are bad

Well I just tried the other receiver again for ****s and giggles with the minimal setup and it sounds just the same as the other receiver, so I'm still just as confused. I've also used like three different sets of receivers bought at different times so it's not that.

Could it be that all my speaker wire is total **** somehow?

Online tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 16 May 2018, 21:49:12 »
maybe the crossover in yoru speaker burned out.

did you check the wire with meter, are they shorting

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #20 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 06:29:47 »

Sure, anything can go bad. You are certain that your speakers are good, aren't you? That is the first thing to go bad.

The cones and surrounds are soft and can deteriorate or suffer damage.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #21 on: Thu, 17 May 2018, 09:24:12 »

Sure, anything can go bad. You are certain that your speakers are good, aren't you? That is the first thing to go bad.

The cones and surrounds are soft and can deteriorate or suffer damage.

I could try them somewhere else I guess, I just figured it was unlikely that 6 individual speakers all went the same level of bad at the same time. I guess I'll try some new wire?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 08:41:59 »
If headphones sound right then that locates the problem downstream from the preamp stage.

You problem will surely be failed components or failed connections somewhere along the line. Capacitors in the main amplifier stage are usually a good place to start.

Offline invariance

• ...here with all the other boson's
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 19 May 2018, 19:33:26 »
Even though it seems unlikely 3 pairs of speakers fail at the same time don’t rule it out. All it needs is for them to have been well overdriven once by accident and the tweeters are blown, or the perishing surrounds break up.  Could have at one time dis/reconnect the amp’s input and the transient caused damage.  I’m just giving some examples of what can happen that we don’t know about and may have happened that you may not have been aware of at the time as well.

You have changed the source (mobo), rca lead??, amps but not the speakers.
You have removed the pc and used a turntable with the same speakers to get the degraded sound.
Used the turntable, same amp with headphones to get a clean sound so you know the source and preamp are good.  This leaves the power amp, speaker cables and speakers.
Beg/borrow/steal someone’s speakers and cables to test on your amp.  Or even better, take your speakers and cabling to someone else’s place to test on their set up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The only BS I
want to hear is
from a Model M:
PN:1391401
DOB: 04FEB87
      Wyse 85      Mtek K104
SMK Blue: Chicony KB-5181; HyperX Aqua: HyperX Alloy Origins *Yet-to-rebuild: A 69 key C. P. Clare Foam & Foil assy *Rubber: Digital LK46W-A2; uSoft Natural Pro RT9401, Natural Multimedia 1.0A RT9470, Natural Ergonomic 4000 KU-0460; "Avid" Sejin SLKR2233; "Diamond Touch" Mitsubishi 6511-PB

Offline ptykozoon

« Reply #24 on: Mon, 21 May 2018, 14:46:46 »
I know jack about audio setups but if it sounds crappy/weak I would think it would be something to do with the amplifier (since you're using a receiver the amp is built in).