Author Topic: PBT keycaps on older keyboards  (Read 2002 times)

Offline zippox

PBT keycaps on older keyboards
« on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 23:46:37 »
Is there a way to tell if the keycaps on an older board are PBT? Has ABS basically always been the standard?

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Re: PBT keycaps on older keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 23:47:27 »
acetone, salt water test

Offline zippox

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 23:51:29 »
acetone, salt water test

So what's a socially acceptable way for me to find out if I were looking at a keyboard at a garage sale?

Offline Lastpilot

• Power stance
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 23:53:22 »
PBT sink like rocks in water. Link

So I guess you could grab a cup of water at the garage sale and test it lol.

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 23:54:10 »
at a garage sale, there's really no point in differentiating whether or not the caps are PBT

all you need to do is take off a key and see if its mechanical. I really doubt somebody is trying to get a lot of money out of a board at a yard sale, and thus will price it really cheap. If its a mech, buy it no matter if its abs or pbt. If its PBT but not a mech, what are you wasting your time for, you won;t be able to use it on any mechs

Offline zippox

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 19 March 2014, 23:57:21 »
at a garage sale, there's really no point in differentiating whether or not the caps are PBT

all you need to do is take off a key and see if its mechanical. I really doubt somebody is trying to get a lot of money out of a board at a yard sale, and thus will price it really cheap. If its a mech, buy it no matter if its abs or pbt. If its PBT but not a mech, what are you wasting your time for, you won;t be able to use it on any mechs

Are there any old-school keyboards that have caps that aren't pull-off-able? I.e. is it a safe bet if I try to rip of the Esc key that I won't break it?

Offline Pacifist

• * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:00:00 »

Are there any old-school keyboards that have caps that aren't pull-off-able? I.e. is it a safe bet if I try to rip of the Esc key that I won't break it?

most boards should be able to pull off the keys. I do not know of any mech that doesn't, hell even all the RDs are easily removeable

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 00:03:04 »
Just carry around a keycap remover, preferably a wire one, when you visit such sales.

Less risk of damage to the keyboard if you decide not to buy it.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 04:41:30 »
most boards should be able to pull off the keys. I do not know of any mech that doesn't, hell even all the RDs are easily removeable

Take this with a grain of salt. There certainly exist types of switches/keycaps which are relatively easy to break if you aren’t careful when removing the caps. Many keycaps will pop off pretty easily with a keycap puller (or a pair of paper clips, or a butter knife, ...), but if you’re getting a lot of resistance, don’t just yank on it full strength. :-)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 20 March 2014, 07:24:33 »
There are compatible keycaps on rubber dome keyboards, sometimes PBT. There are doubleshots out there as well. For example, first-generation Apple Design Keyboard and Gateway 2000 Anykey have nice caps.

Carrying around a keycap puller is a good idea. Be especially careful if you think that it is Space Invaders, those springs fly away in a blink.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"