Author Topic: Thick PBT on Brown or Blue?  (Read 2074 times)

Offline zippox

Thick PBT on Brown or Blue?
« on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 12:04:44 »
I have a QFR with blues (and o-rings) that I find I enjoy typing on a bit more than the browns on my Rosewill. But I am trying to decide which board would I find the thick PBT keycaps more suitable on?

I assume one of the most satisfying things about thick PBT is the solid thunk of it hitting the board. And right now with the thin ABS keycaps I find myself not pressing down enough on some of the keys (on only my brown board) which may be remedied by heavier keycaps.

If I put them on my blues I would think it would be annoying to put them on without o-rings. Double-tap noises (one from the switch, the other from it hitting the bottom). But if I put o-rings on I feel like I may not get the same joy out of the caps.

What are your thoughts?

Offline Defect

• I collect keyboards and keyboard accessories
Re: Thick PBT on Brown or Blue?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 09 May 2014, 15:58:19 »
Personally I felt that thick PBT (at least the vortex DS I got) mutes blues too much (in feel, don't remember my notes on sound)

Weird because I LOVE thick pbt on clears (every spring) and can't use any other material for my clear boards.  Thick pbt is so snappy with clear stems.   Not sure about browns, all my browns are taken apart and in a box.

My vote is for browns, but you can always switch when ever you want so it's not that big of a deal

Not pictured: KeyCool 84 [MX Red] | Focus 2001 [Complicated White Alps]
Endgame Board | Defect's Watermelon Board Build Doc

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 01:05:01 »
Try both.  Only you can tell which one you prefer the most.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 01:10:25 »
Personally I don't like thick pbt on blues because it drastically changes the feel, and most importantly makes them sound kinda meh.

I don't like browns at all to begin with so no say on that.
I love Elzy

Offline zippox

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 10 May 2014, 09:42:12 »
Personally I don't like thick pbt on blues because it drastically changes the feel, and most importantly makes them sound kinda meh.

How would you describe the feel of the blues with the PBT caps?

Offline Sifo

• Illustrious
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 05:12:12 »
Very muted... which I mean, can be a good thing. Just not for me :P

It SOUNDS soft but it doesn't actually decrease the volume by that much
I love Elzy

Offline CommonCurt

• One of the cool kids
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • 🍒 Beige or Bust
    • My Flickr Page
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 05:25:02 »
I like thick PBT on blues, but thin PBT does make the clicks higher pitched.
Some of Ye ole  Keyboards -->
More
OTD Koala:  62g Old MX-Blacks   |   LZ-GH V2:  MX-?62g   |   KMAC2:   62g Tactile MX-Greys   |   LZ CLS s:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   X60:   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   GON NerD 60:  62g Old MX-Clears   |   Filco MJ2 (Beige) TKL's:  62g MX-Clears  &   62g Vintage MX-Blacks   |   IBM '91 SSK

WTB/WTS/WTT ---->
More

Offline lightsout714

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 11 May 2014, 09:06:21 »

I don't like browns at all to begin with so no say on that.
I agree I actually preferred the feel of the stock caps on my qfr. It kind of "ruined" the feelings of the blues.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 06:13:46 »
Try them on both, don't have to do the whole board, just a few switches to test. They're great on Browns, IMHO.

If you like the high pitched click of Blues with thin ABS caps, you may not like what thick PBT does to them, but I say try them and see.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline zippox

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 12 May 2014, 06:34:10 »
It's not that I like the high pitch of the clicks, rather I like the tactile feedback of the blues vs. the browns.

Offline catcradle5

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 14 May 2014, 03:06:00 »
I have a set of thick PBT (Vortex dyesub) keycaps on my blue switches, and honestly I don't think they mute the sound at all.

It's just a different sound. The pitch is definitely lower, which makes it more "thock"-y than "click"-y.