Author Topic: [IC] SLK Dessau (Group Buy LIVE May 1st – June 1st)  (Read 113556 times)

Offline fruitykeeb

• Storefront
Re: [IC] SLK Dessau • slkdessau.com
« Reply #150 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 13:01:18 »
I'm really intrigued by this, but also conflicted at the same time. I like the profile, it reminds me of those really old typewriters and their circular keys. I don't know if I'd actually buy in, but the colors and kits offered are very nice.

Offline fakedSkill

« Reply #151 on: Mon, 12 April 2021, 13:50:49 »
Not yet, I want to make sure the dye-sub legend sharpness and colors are quality before going to GB, so once the keycap samples are approved we're ordering dye-sub samples. ✌️

Thank you for the update and for not rushing the GB to make sure the quality is as expected! <3 Can't wait!

Offline OxC0FFEE

« Reply #152 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 14:46:32 »
I really love this. The toughest choice is dark or light. I’ll probably get both ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On the IC form it asks for collab ideas. Here’s one I’d love that would be right up this set’s alley: a bezel-less case like the old Apple prototype “Cassie”, https://www.applefritter.com/node/312
266880-0

It could be 60% at the minimum, and if there was enough demand, other layouts. If I dare to dream, a 40, a 60/65, and/or a modular set you can put together to your liking (separate navigation/num pads). Without bezels they would not take up much real estate on the desk.

There’s a real hole in the market for this aesthetic currently, and I think you’ve nailed it.

Offline minicap

« Reply #153 on: Wed, 21 April 2021, 15:17:40 »
This is really cool! Love the ergo support (especially the accent escape keys!)
Excited to see how the samples turn out.

Offline jagger27

• ne 1.5U supers???
« Reply #154 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 03:07:07 »
I really love this. The toughest choice is dark or light. I’ll probably get both ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

On the IC form it asks for collab ideas. Here’s one I’d love that would be right up this set’s alley: a bezel-less case like the old Apple prototype “Cassie”, https://www.applefritter.com/node/312
(Attachment Link)

It could be 60% at the minimum, and if there was enough demand, other layouts. If I dare to dream, a 40, a 60/65, and/or a modular set you can put together to your liking (separate navigation/num pads). Without bezels they would not take up much real estate on the desk.

There’s a real hole in the market for this aesthetic currently, and I think you’ve nailed it.

I love this idea

Offline Nerdbot5000

« Reply #155 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 20:57:04 »
Low profile, uniform, and is that a 1.75 function I see in the misc kit? This is end game tier for me. Very interested.

Offline Volny

« Reply #156 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 22:34:53 »
I was really, really excited about this when I saw the profile comparison diagrams, but my excitement ended when I saw the renders. This looks great but is not going to feel nice to type on.

Everything about the profile diagram makes it seem like an improvement on existing profiles, which is impressive. You've got the pleasant gentle scoop of DSA, but with greater surface area and a longer skirt for better key coverage. But you also retain some of DSA's typo-resistance by including those slight bevels, which will also prevent the annoyingly sharp edges of OEM and Cherry profiles. So far, so great.

But then when we see the top down view, it becomes clear that this profile was designed for eyes, not fingers. For those people who own 20 keyboards to display on their shelf that's perhaps fine, but I don't think this will feel good to type on. Because of the perfect circle shape, keys to the north and south will be harder to reach, while keys to the east and west will feel abnormally close, and possibly be more typo-prone.

And think about how people use ctrl and shift: they often rest their weakest finger on the edge of the key where it'll naturally creep up towards the corner while their hand stretches to hit more distant keys within the same key combination. With this profile, their finger is more likely than usual to slip off that corner.

The typography looks nice, and I like how the modifier legends are all left/right aligned. It looks elegant. I also like the colored shift and matching secondary legends - that's one of those features that once you see it seems like it should have always been that way. Though I think the black version is less successful - the yellow secondary color just makes the keys look a little dirty in the renders. I think this is caused by the primary white and secondary yellow being too close. Perhaps a sky blue or or sea-green would look nicer?

Also, why no "win" key? "Sys" feels like a placeholder rather than a real key.

Offline Nuap

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 22:58:13 »
I was really, really excited about this when I saw the profile comparison diagrams, but my excitement ended when I saw the renders. This looks great but is not going to feel nice to type on.

Everything about the profile diagram makes it seem like an improvement on existing profiles, which is impressive. You've got the pleasant gentle scoop of DSA, but with greater surface area and a longer skirt for better key coverage. But you also retain some of DSA's typo-resistance by including those slight bevels, which will also prevent the annoyingly sharp edges of OEM and Cherry profiles. So far, so great.

But then when we see the top down view, it becomes clear that this profile was designed for eyes, not fingers. For those people who own 20 keyboards to display on their shelf that's perhaps fine, but I don't think this will feel good to type on. Because of the perfect circle shape, keys to the north and south will be harder to reach, while keys to the east and west will feel abnormally close, and possibly be more typo-prone.

And think about how people use ctrl and shift: they often rest their weakest finger on the edge of the key where it'll naturally creep up towards the corner while their hand stretches to hit more distant keys within the same key combination. With this profile, their finger is more likely than usual to slip off that corner.

The typography looks nice, and I like how the modifier legends are all left/right aligned. It looks elegant. I also like the colored shift and matching secondary legends - that's one of those features that once you see it seems like it should have always been that way. Though I think the black version is less successful - the yellow secondary color just makes the keys look a little dirty in the renders. I think this is caused by the primary white and secondary yellow being too close. Perhaps a sky blue or or sea-green would look nicer?

Also, why no "win" key? "Sys" feels like a placeholder rather than a real key.

I agree with your sentiment regarding the edges of modifiers, but I do disagree with your assessment of the Sys key.

Sys, Super, Code etc. is preferred as it allows you to use the keycaps on a Mac layout with a Win key.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #158 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 00:52:55 »
Very interesting profile, I like the different colored legends like that.
Don't really see it much unless it's sub legends.

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline jebbra

• jebbra.net
« Reply #159 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 03:01:05 »
New profile is always interesting to try on. Colorway, typeface choice, and legend treatment is very "clean", reminding me of German design like Leica or Dieter Rams.

Offline tonnu

« Reply #160 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 03:37:46 »
wow very teenageengineering op-1 vibe!

Offline VAMP

• VAMP
    • Buy me a Ko-fi maybe?
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 10:44:47 »
not sure how im gonna like this, but it does definitely looks good! GLWIC!
Your friendly neighbourhood graphic designer. Hit me up if you need any graphic works! ✏️

https://www.instagram.com/by.vamp/

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #162 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 14:51:54 »
Haven't given an update here in a little bit but things are slowly progressing! The first SLK samples were made some weeks ago but Nostril made some small modifications and the manu is working on those right now. If approved, we'll go ahead and order some dye sub samples to work through legend sharpness/positioning, and match the colors. ✌️

Offline minicap

« Reply #163 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 20:10:28 »
Oooh! Excited to see how the new round of samples turn out :D

Offline YMwoo

« Reply #164 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 23:37:52 »
Haven't given an update here in a little bit but things are slowly progressing! The first SLK samples were made some weeks ago but Nostril made some small modifications and the manu is working on those right now. If approved, we'll go ahead and order some dye sub samples to work through legend sharpness/positioning, and match the colors. ✌️

good to hear. can't wait for the sample.
I'm still on the fence about the color but really excited for the possibility of a new profile and hopefully the lead time will be much better compared to others too.

Offline jepii

« Reply #165 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 10:56:21 »
Beautiful design, like an evolution of the Devlin Z-series "teletype" keycaps. I'm in!

Offline UltimaQ

« Reply #166 on: Mon, 17 May 2021, 15:43:02 »
Really like this clean design. Can't wait to kit out my PAN in this.

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #167 on: Wed, 19 May 2021, 21:22:28 »
Smol update: Zion Studios added as a vendor for SEA 👌
« Last Edit: Wed, 19 May 2021, 21:27:29 by kema »

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #168 on: Wed, 09 June 2021, 11:23:39 »
June Update

Second round of samples have been made and should be shipping to FK Caps & Synth Labs soon. If approved we'll order dye-sub samples ✌️

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #169 on: Thu, 10 June 2021, 03:30:39 »
Great looking, very excited for this.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline WillyWortel

« Reply #170 on: Sat, 26 June 2021, 14:21:44 »
Very interesting design. Definitely interested. :thumb:

Offline phxrbn

• tech. design. real estate.
« Reply #171 on: Sun, 04 July 2021, 21:37:01 »
How does SLK compare to dsa now with the changes to the profile?

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #172 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 19:21:26 »
How does SLK compare to dsa now with the changes to the profile?

The diagram uses the latest iteration of SLK profile so it's up to date 😀

Also just to update everyone here: the second round of samples have been received and I'm really liking the feel and sound of them. I'll see if Nostril would like to share anything as he's the profile designer 🙏

Offline YMwoo

« Reply #173 on: Mon, 05 July 2021, 23:23:11 »
Also just to update everyone here: the second round of samples have been received and I'm really liking the feel and sound of them. I'll see if Nostril would like to share anything as he's the profile designer 🙏
Touch feel or typing feel?
Any real-life sample pics?

Offline WillyWortel

« Reply #174 on: Wed, 18 August 2021, 17:56:20 »
When will  the 65% board by Synth Labs be available? This set looks very nice on that white/red board  :p

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #175 on: Wed, 18 August 2021, 18:38:07 »
Touch feel or typing feel?
Any real-life sample pics?

I think they feel great, they feel pretty solid and have a slightly deeper sound than GMK keycaps. We're having the manufacturer adjust some injection settings and do another round of samples which are hopefully final; we'll probably share more thorough thoughts and images then. 🙏

Offline phxrbn

« Reply #176 on: Fri, 27 August 2021, 20:07:49 »
Still hoping/pushing for a 'monochrome kit' where all the shifted symbol colors are same as non-shifted symbols, or muted to a greyscaled color (i.e. dark grey for white kit, light grey for black kit). Kit would include 29 keys with shifted symbols and shifts.

Offline LASERman Projects

• Soldering is my native language.
« Reply #177 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 17:55:37 »
Why pushing to what would be like GMK copy? I like this design, stop making all looking the same.

Offline phxrbn

« Reply #178 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 18:28:30 »
Why would that be like GMK? So if it's colorful it's non GMK but if it's muted it's GMK? So KAT monochrome, SA Ice, DSA granite... All GMK copies... Got it. Here I'm thinking that profile has to do with the size and shape of the keys, guess it's about color combos.

This is already a muted set. It's timeless. That's what I like about it..
« Last Edit: Sun, 29 August 2021, 18:33:09 by phxrbn »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #179 on: Sun, 29 August 2021, 19:19:35 »
Consider me somewhat interested. It'll all depend on how those dye sub samples turn out.

Is the dye sub going to be done in-house by the same manu that produces the caps, or is it being outsourced?

Offline blur410

• Memewhile in World of Tanks...
« Reply #180 on: Sun, 24 October 2021, 11:44:56 »
These look so much like old Siemens keycaps. I might be interested depending on the finish. I hope they are only textured on top and shiny on the sides.
Keyboard Ownership History: Dynex(Rubber dome chicklet keys)-EXTINCT, Macbook Air 2016(Scissor switch)-ACTIVE, Razer Ornata(Mecha-membrane)-EXTINCT, Corsair K68 RGB(Cherry MX Reds)-RETIRED, Razer Tartarus Pro(Razer optical analog)-RETIRED, Idobao ID-75(NK Creams)-SHELF, HHKB Pro 3 Classic(Topre BKE MX Mount)-ACTIVE, New Model F62(Capacitive buckling springs)-ACTIVE, Realforce 23UB(Topre)-ACTIVE, BM60-RGBEC w/KBDFANS 5 Degree Case(NK BOX Pinks)-SHELF, Focus 2001 (Alps White)-SHELF, Unidentified Vintage MX Black Board-SHELF

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #181 on: Fri, 17 December 2021, 08:13:00 »
Wow, I am intrigued for sure - adore the light set (though will be hoping for different modifier colours down the line).

I absolutely LOVE the shift accent colours, great touch and the font choice is spot on. It has this retro but scifi feel to it and I really want to get this on the right board. Count me in!

Offline gfolgert

« Reply #182 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 01:54:16 »
I'm extremely interested in these keycaps (created an account just for this post!)

Any updates on progress? Thanks!

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #183 on: Mon, 20 December 2021, 13:10:02 »
Apologies for the lack of updates here, things have been progressing slowly but as far as I know the keycap forms themselves have been finalized and the first dyesub samples are making their way to me right now. These are a first attempt so I'm anticipating at least another round of samples to make sure things are looking great 🙏
« Last Edit: Mon, 20 December 2021, 13:14:07 by kema »

Offline khawkins98

« Reply #184 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 07:07:27 »
Have just stumbled across these. They look fantastic. Drawing on classic things while be modernised in the right ways. Really hoping to be able to try them out sometime in the near future.  :thumb:

Offline salgiza

« Reply #185 on: Mon, 17 January 2022, 07:39:53 »
Just saw this thread and it is true that this set has some really nice Dieter Rams vibes. Seeing that it is an uniform profile with no tertiary labels in the international kit, maybe the kit could be extended to cover the same keys as (for example) the DSA Milkshake international kit?

That set also adds support for ES/PT & FR layouts (don't know if any more) on top of Nordeuk and, as a ES user myself, I'd really love to buy these keycaps!

Offline whee74

« Reply #186 on: Fri, 21 January 2022, 14:34:48 »
the profiles are very interesting. they look really fun to type on

Offline oilpapers

« Reply #187 on: Mon, 31 January 2022, 06:50:03 »
Would love if the international kit included 3#£ and 4$€ keys

Offline geekit

« Reply #188 on: Wed, 16 February 2022, 09:10:54 »
Ever considering accent kit? For example;

(Pardon the lousy Photoshop work)

Offline StrangPrisoner

« Reply #189 on: Wed, 16 February 2022, 10:42:11 »
Ever considering accent kit? For example;

Show Image

(Pardon the lousy Photoshop work)
I could very much get on board with this.

Offline damsenviet

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 17 February 2022, 21:48:29 »
Any updates on how far along the project status is? Would love to hear how the samples turned out.

Offline marici22

« Reply #191 on: Thu, 17 February 2022, 23:55:56 »
Cute profile but how is it typing experience-wise? Since it's uniform profile I reckon it could take a bit of getting used to.

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #192 on: Fri, 18 February 2022, 18:20:35 »
Any updates on how far along the project status is? Would love to hear how the samples turned out.

The keycap forms themselves are looking great, our manu recently tightened up the stems a touch based on our feedback from the previous round last month.
The first dyesub samples were unfortunately lost in the mail but I gave some feedback based on the photos they sent us and they're on track to make new and improved dyesub samples for us next week.
May revisit kitting a bit once things are further along since we're a ways away from price quotes; things are slow but progress is being made 🙏

Cute profile but how is it typing experience-wise? Since it's uniform profile I reckon it could take a bit of getting used to.

I haven't found it difficult to type on at all, likely because I've been using the flat MacBook keyboards for forever, but it should be similar, if not more comfortable than KAM and DSA.

Offline geekit

« Reply #193 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 08:55:52 »
I might have missed this but is the top totally flat? Or slightly concave?

Offline dvorcol

• dvorcol#5071
« Reply #194 on: Mon, 21 February 2022, 18:13:07 »
I might have missed this but is the top totally flat? Or slightly concave?

This is in the OP:

Offline geekit

« Reply #195 on: Sun, 27 February 2022, 00:28:54 »
Whops. Thanks for the info!

Offline kema

• Designer
    • kevinmadesign
« Reply #196 on: Tue, 05 April 2022, 19:11:24 »
Hi friends, I've received the first color samples today and wanted to share my thoughts on them. Keep in mind we're aiming to nail down the colors first, then perfect the thickness/positioning of the legends. Also probably doesn't need to be said, but these quick photos aren't going to be totally accurate to what I'm seeing irl.

Some adjustments to be made are: neutralizing the light grey (too warm), dark grey (too cool), and black (too cool, third pic compared to the more neutral GMK WoB); adding some more red to the red which is skewing a touch magenta; and increasing the saturation on the yellow which is a little too mustardy. Will update again when I receive the next round 🙏

Offline Robert.Lussier5

« Reply #197 on: Tue, 05 April 2022, 20:51:36 »
had my attention with uniform profile. Looking forward to seeing this go into GB. A scooped uniform seems like it would be very nice to use.
Austin R3 - Green // Austin R3 - Purple // Custom Acrylic Austin - Clear // Rekt1800 - Blue // Cypher r4 - Black // Boston - Sparkle Black // Balance - White // Glitch - Green // Shelby80 - Navy // Odin - Silver // Zoom65  Red // QK65 - Black // Link65 - Lilac

Offline LASERman Projects

• Soldering is my native language.
« Reply #198 on: Wed, 06 April 2022, 08:50:29 »
Great to see progress, appreciation to kema for the attention to accurate colours and thanks for the close up photos.

Offline fairypenguin

• zzz
« Reply #199 on: Thu, 07 April 2022, 04:45:03 »
This looks clean af