Author Topic: Locking Thumbs  (Read 1427 times)

Offline Kavik

Locking Thumbs
« on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 00:32:46 »
Many years ago, I discovered that my thumbs would become locked after being straight for a given amount of time, and it took a somewhat considerable force to bend them, at which time the distal joint would crack/pop. This became such an annoying issue that I began preemptively cracking my thumbs by bending the distal joint while keeping the proximal joint as under as much tension as possible. Now it's just a habit to bend my thumbs periodically throughout the day to crack them so that they don't get locked straight. The longer I go without bending them, the louder/harder the crack.

Does anyone else have this problem? Although I am a weirdo that derives some pleasure from cracking his joints, this is function because my thumbs will actually get stuck by the time I need to use them if I don't do this.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
Re: Locking Thumbs
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 03:59:06 »
My thumbs are naturally bent unless I think about holding them straight so no, this isn't a problem.  Doesn't sound healthy so the obvious question would be have you seen a doctor about it and if not why not?
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 07:22:42 »
Could be stenosing tenosynovitis (trigger finger). It's when the sheath which covers the tendon are or became too narrow.

Offline jamster

« Reply #3 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 09:45:31 »
My thumbs are naturally bent unless I think about holding them straight so no, this isn't a problem.  Doesn't sound healthy so the obvious question would be have you seen a doctor about it and if not why not?

Same, I just looked down (at the hand which was away from keyboard an mouse) and there is naturally a slight bend. Holding it straight requires constant effort. Ditto all other fingers.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 16 May 2021, 20:07:48 »
I haven't seen a doctor about it because it doesn't hurt and because it doesn't cause any loss of function as long as I remember to move my thumbs periodically (and when it does cause an issue, the solution is just to crack them), so treating it would probably do more harm than good. It's more of a curiosity. At this point, it's such a habit to bend my thumbs to crack them that it's rare for them to lock up anymore (it's been probably 15+ years of doing this, so it's basically automatic now).

I don't think it's trigger finger because the sensation is inside the joint rather than the anterior of the thumb, and I have no problem moving it after the crack/pop (I think trigger finger catches every time the lump passes through the sheath). Additionally, from what I can find, trigger finger tends to occur in the metacarpal area, while the affected area on my hands is between the distal and proximal phalanges (the joint right below the thumbnail, not the one near the palm).

I should clarify that I don't have a constant thumbs-up pose. My fingers do relax in a half curl. I mean the distal most joint (nearest the thumb nail) is in a mostly extended pose when relaxed.

Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline yui

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 18 May 2021, 01:45:25 »
i have the same issue with all fingers but the thumb and pinky :) been like that for now about 15 years, although my fingers always did bend backward (about 30° without force, up to 90° with, neither hurting) i thought it had to do with that, as the other person knew could bend their fingers that much also had them locking up from time to time, i have no clue if it is in anyway normal or common
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)