Author Topic: Getting a keyboard with Zealios V2 switches?  (Read 3662 times)

Offline BlazeModz

Getting a keyboard with Zealios V2 switches?
« on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 05:02:05 »
Having a hard time trying to figure this out. From my understanding, Zealios V2 are just switches and there aren't any keyboards that come prebuilt with them, is there anyway I can find a pre-built keyboard that uses those switches that I may have missed? or do I really need to get all of the components and build it myself?

Any help is appreciated, thanks!

Offline Arch4Life

Re: Getting a keyboard with Zealios V2 switches?
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 05:21:09 »
building a keyboard is easy, tunning it is another story, but most pre-builts are poorly tuned or no tunning at all, so I would suggest you to build it yourself

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

Offline BlazeModz

« Reply #2 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 05:24:56 »
building a keyboard is easy, tunning it is another story, but most pre-builts are poorly tuned or no tunning at all, so I would suggest you to build it yourself

Ah, dang. I understand. Is there any resources of where I can get the parts n learn how to do it? is it really difficult n easy to mess up?

Offline Arch4Life

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 05:29:01 »

Ah, dang. I understand. Is there any resources of where I can get the parts n learn how to do it? is it really difficult n easy to mess up?
well, it is easy and hard to mess up, I would suggest Tasha types, taekeyboards and Hamaji neo on YouTube for tutorials on building a keyboard, for soldering, you can visit juju cables, for part: kprepublic, ymdkeys, kbdfans,... (just look them up on google, they sell pretty good starter parts)

Offline BlazeModz

« Reply #4 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 05:41:48 »

well, it is easy and hard to mess up, I would suggest Tasha types, taekeyboards and Hamaji neo on YouTube for tutorials on building a keyboard, for soldering, you can visit juju cables, for part: kprepublic, ymdkeys, kbdfans,... (just look them up on google, they sell pretty good starter parts)

Alrighty, Thank you!

Offline jamster

« Reply #5 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 06:50:40 »
Zelios, like many, many other switches, are enthusiast aftermarket parts. Boards will not come pre-built with them.

Typically the only switches that come on off the shelf boards are a smallish number of Cherry MX switches (blue, brown, red, sometimes at a stretch clear) and the equivalents from 'clone' companies like Gateron or Kailh.

The easiest way to end up with a Zelios board would involve buying a mostly built board minus the switches, and just add them yourself. IIRC Massdrop sells unpopulated boards, or GMMK (with the advantage of not having to solder).

« Last Edit: Mon, 10 May 2021, 06:53:48 by jamster »

Offline Ranger_Trivette

« Reply #6 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 08:01:25 »
ehi, that's geekhack... we dont buy pre-built boards  >:D

join the addiction and build you first custom keyboard  :thumb:

Offline phwog_

« Reply #7 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 09:48:14 »
if you want the minimal effort, go for a hotswap pcb. this removes the soldering step completely, and you can switch the switches at any time. I am sure there are prebuilts that exist that have tealios v2. one in particular I know for a fact is https://ohkeycaps.com/products/built-to-order-dactyl-manuform-keyboard

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 12:43:13 »
Having a hard time trying to figure this out. From my understanding, Zealios V2 are just switches and there aren't any keyboards that come prebuilt with them, is there anyway I can find a pre-built keyboard that uses those switches that I may have missed? or do I really need to get all of the components and build it myself?

You actually can get a decent prebuilt with Zealio V2 switches - the Varmilo TKL or maybe full-size with Zealio V2 67 G switches.

At least, that was being offered in the custom shop last time I checked.

There are disadvantages - Varmilo is headquartered in China, so if anything goes wrong, you are pooched. And shipping is expensive, like at least 35$ USD if not more, not including customs.

But I've done it - I actually ordered a TKL from Varmilo's custom store for a relative back in 2018, and they are still enjoying it now. Great keyboard, with nice case look and feel, freshly-retooled MX Browns [they didn't have Zealio at the time], lubed stabilizers [plate-mount, tho], custom keycaps, and custom LED arrangement.

It's the best-tuned prebuilt you can get as a TKL or full-size. But it's a bit exotic, no? Not sure if it's even still being offered.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #9 on: Mon, 10 May 2021, 19:07:10 »

Check out the GMMK (not the pro).
It's a good solid starting point with hot  swap sockets and ok stabs. Order the barebones version, but you can also order keycaps at the same time, just don't get switches. Go to a place that carries Zeal switches, either Zeal or 1upkeyboards, others carry them, those are just two I know of. Then you simply plug in the switches and put the caps in place, no solde necessary.

Will it be as good as something tuned, no, but it;s going to be better than a lot of off-the-shelf and you get the switches you want. It's also hot swap, so later when/if you get comfortable you can tune it if you want. If you break it's it's not super expensive to replace, and if you decide to move to something nicer just take out your switches and put them in your new board.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Whale_algorithm

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 12 May 2021, 23:07:49 »
WASD makes prebuilt keyboards with Zealios 67g (I have one).

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 19:48:32 »
Zeal switches afaik can't come with prebuilt keyboards due to the PC housing not being able to sustain factory soldering.
If you're still after prebuilt, I think Ducky had a limited edition keyboard with modified zeal switches with different bottom housing, they're arent exacly the same but it will probablyt the best you could find.

Offline azzipa

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 21:42:03 »
surprised this hasn’t been mentioned: kbdfans sells boards w zealios and many other ‘enthusiast’ switches. people look down on the tofu but i’ve steered co-workers in that direction and never had a problem. for some people it’s a gateway drug and they want a custom. others are satisfied. if you’re hesitant to take on your own build, the pre-assembled boards will get you >85% of a full custom (unless you have a very good idea of what you want). still not cheap. depending on switches you can hit $300. i have no affiliation, just passing on info.

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 21:56:30 »
Zeal switches afaik can't come with prebuilt keyboards due to the PC housing not being able to sustain factory soldering.
If you're still after prebuilt, I think Ducky had a limited edition keyboard with modified zeal switches with different bottom housing, they're arent exacly the same but it will probablyt the best you could find.

Yeah they're Gateron Milky bottoms made with the Zealio molds I believe. He actually used to sell a 65g Zealio back in the V1 days that had the same type of bottom for people who were afraid of melting the PC bottoms.

Offline Sup

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Doing university was a mistake
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 22:24:03 »

Not sure where you pull that off from but, Zealios can be used in OEM keyboards. The OEM that offered Zealios switches is WASDKeyboards with the CODE V3 TKL. The only reason that most OEM don't offer Zealios is because of the switch price. While OEM can just buy bulk from cherry for less than 15 cent a switch and all your average consumers see Cherry = High quality and Zeal is a no name to your average consumer and that he up marks the switch like 4-5x it's price from the factory is a no no for OEM's. It would make the keyboard to expensive compared to the competition.

https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/code-v3-87-key-mechanical-keyboard-zealio-67g.html
current
Filco Zero -  NOS Yellow Alps | Canoe R1 Gateron Red | AEK II JP Cream dampend |Filco Majestouch 2 Tex case Gateron Yellow | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev AO Serial 000171 | HHKB Pro 1 2003 Rev A1s|DZ60 OG Panda's with Fei spring and stem. | Sentraq S65_Plus OG Invyr Panda's | A17 Gateron Black TX 65G 3204 | Lubrigrante Wildcard Cherry MX silent blacks 3204 58.5G Springs | Rukia Everglide Tourmaline Blue 58.5G Springs | MGA Standard Greetech brown |
Coming soon
Rest in peace Billy Herrington(William Glen Harold Herrington) 1969-2018
Rest in peace Byron Daniel 1989-2020

Offline MIGHTY CHICKEN

• buck buck, cluck cluck, squawk squawk
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 13 May 2021, 22:41:57 »
I know ducky did a collab a company where they built custom duckies with zeals and "lubed stabs", but buying components yourself might be your best choice. Maybe try and get a hotswap kit, those are very easy to build.

Offline Leopard223

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 14 May 2021, 07:50:32 »

Not sure where you pull that off from but, Zealios can be used in OEM keyboards. The OEM that offered Zealios switches is WASDKeyboards with the CODE V3 TKL. The only reason that most OEM don't offer Zealios is because of the switch price. While OEM can just buy bulk from cherry for less than 15 cent a switch and all your average consumers see Cherry = High quality and Zeal is a no name to your average consumer and that he up marks the switch like 4-5x it's price from the factory is a no no for OEM's. It would make the keyboard to expensive compared to the competition.

https://www.wasdkeyboards.com/code-v3-87-key-mechanical-keyboard-zealio-67g.html
Well this the consensus of the reviews such as this , your explanation might be the main reason though. 
Are the switches in the CODE v3 the full PC ones from Zeal? I couldn't find much more info on that KB.